[C19] Mothership spoilers 8/8 - Chainer, Nightmare Adept, Curse of Fool's Wisdom, & Big Game Hunter reprint

SyntheticDreamer
Pronoun: he / him

Post by SyntheticDreamer » 4 years ago

Chainer returns!

Source: DailyMTG
Lapsed DCI Rules Advisor - Retired from playing but still hanging around

RedCheese

Post by RedCheese » 4 years ago

Chainer is sweet

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 4 years ago

Chainer looks quite strong. Might satisfy the folks that didn't like anje.

Curse of fools wisdom is pretty funny. Surprising someone with it when they go to draw 15 cards sounds pretty lulzy. Definitely making a madness deck :D
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Wayta - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Eris - Magda - Ghired2 - Xander - Me - Slogurk - Gilraen - Shelob2 - Kellan1 - Leori - Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

CommanderMaster999
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 4 years ago

Another new version

Hard to tell if this better than the old version

On one hand it only cost three black and 3 life to get a creature from yard with the older one but you lose them forever if he leaves

But on this hand you have accesss to red and you won't lose the creatures when he leaves but one time cast restriction

That curse is gonna be hilarious with nekusaur

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 4 years ago

That Curse is going into a deck I want to use against a friends Niv-Mizzet deck, he likes to draw 20+ cards with it to finish of the game. Well, now it will finish off him first. :)
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

Serpent_Steve
King of the Elementals!
Answers: 1

Post by Serpent_Steve » 4 years ago

Lol, found an answer to that guy for fishes for Rhystic Study in nearly every game.

YawgmothPrime

Post by YawgmothPrime » 4 years ago

I'm so freaking happy they did a new Chainer! He's one of my fav old school characters due to his weapon, his personality, and the whole dementia summoning thing. His older card is fun for a lot of my EDH decks and now I get to brew something new with him! While he does a once a turn restriction, it's for each turn, so we can get some flash going too. The art is on point too bc he would attach a censer to his chain to obscure visibility in the pit fights. This will be fun!

As for the other cards, the curse looks good and Big Game Hunter is also a nice reprint.
The human body is a machine to be perfected.

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 4 years ago

The curse is better than the demon, you can do some funny things with this. Chainer's looking nice, I like how his ability can scale all the way from "you can give one creature in hand haste, I guess" to "barf madness value and get reanimation in everybody's turn".

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

TheMagicWord

Post by TheMagicWord » 4 years ago

Can you madness the curse onto someone during a wheel? Im thinking the discard and draw would all happen before the curse gets placed on anyone.
Check out EDH Magic Online Magic Videos
Check out my The MTG Word instagram for pictures of crazy edh boardstates

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 4 years ago

Nah, the spell resolves in one fell swoop. So everybody will be back up to seven by the time you madness this in. At least I'm pretty sure.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

lyonhaert
Answers: 4
Pronoun: they / them

Post by lyonhaert » 4 years ago

CommanderMaster999 wrote:
4 years ago
Another new version

Hard to tell if this better than the old version

On one hand it only cost three black and 3 life to get a creature from yard with the older one but you lose them forever if he leaves

But on this hand you have accesss to red and you won't lose the creatures when he leaves but one time cast restriction
I like this version. I'm not going to ditch my old version and rebuild it. But this Chainer just works differently. I could easily see him in a Marchesa, the Black Rose deck as really strong support, or even just building this alone as a second Chainer deck (and it'd actually be my first Rakdos deck if I did).

There'll be ways to break the one-time thing anyway, because "Activate this ability only once each turn" only applies per Chainer, Nightmare Adept object. For example, assuming we've made infinite mana and have a sac outlet, we can discard a card and pay 2 to Rings of Brighthearth, sac Chainer, then recast Chainer and one other creature from the graveyard. Might even be a way to make the mana during this process to make it self-sustaining. But you get to turn every card in hand your library into a hasty creature.
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

lyonhaert
Answers: 4
Pronoun: they / them

Post by lyonhaert » 4 years ago

TheMagicWord wrote:
4 years ago
Can you madness the curse onto someone during a wheel? Im thinking the discard and draw would all happen before the curse gets placed on anyone.
Rumpy5897 wrote:
4 years ago
Nah, the spell resolves in one fell swoop. So everybody will be back up to seven by the time you madness this in. At least I'm pretty sure.
Correct. You'd have to respond to the wheel with an instant-speed discard outlet of your own, rather than the discard from the wheel itself.
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 4 years ago

I had zero expectations of anything from the madness deck being good but this Chainer is hot fire.

theMarc
Oh god, it's all over my body.

Post by theMarc » 4 years ago

That derp face on the curse, tho.

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 4 years ago

Chainer, Nightmare Adept looks sweet. Not a reanimator general (since you have to pay the costs of any creature you cast), but having access to recursion in the command zone is a useful ability. Needing to discard a card to activate is a relatively steep cost compared to Karador, Ghost Chieftain or Meren of Clan Nel Toth though, so you want to have some way to take advantage of either the discard (due to enabling madness, for example) or the haste (with cards like Etali, Primal Storm).

Curse of Fool's Wisdom looks brutal. Some decks (especially those in Grixis) don't have much access to enchantment removal, and this is a pretty quick clock against any deck drawing a lot of cards. Shuts down decks like The Locust God. Alternatively, play it in a wheels deck like Nekusar, the Mindrazer to speed things up even faster.

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 4 years ago

Krishnath wrote:
4 years ago
That Curse is going into a deck I want to use against a friends Niv-Mizzet deck, he likes to draw 20+ cards with it to finish of the game. Well, now it will finish off him first. :)
It can also be thrown in Nekusar and such, when you don't yet have what you need to win the game, but you can knock out one player.
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

Kajaxis

Post by Kajaxis » 4 years ago

I've got a mono black enchantment deck that has a spot for that curse card. It already runs some underworld dreams style effects and sign in bloods.

motleyslayer

Post by motleyslayer » 4 years ago

Chainer is gonna probably be my next commander. Big game hunter is a great reprint, especially in a madness deck

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”