[mtgnexus] Random Card of the Day - Spinal Embrace

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison
Pronoun: he / him

Post by 3drinks » 3 years ago

Saturday, July 18th, 2020; Master of the Feast

Hmm. Is this good? It's a guessing game, and those are typically fun anyway. How consistent is it?

Mookie
Answers: 48
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 3 years ago

Master of Predicaments is an interesting card. David Sirlin designed it to convey the concept of 'Yomi' - that is, the ability to read your opponent. Every time it connects, the opponent is faced with an interesting decision - do they say high or low? If you minimize risk and shut down high CMC cards ever time, the Master's controller can take advantage of it by getting free value for their cheap spells. On the other hand, if you go with the most likely behavior and shut down cheap spells, the Master's controller can cheat out some absurd nonsense. Which means that the optimal move is generally going to be some blend of the two, but doing that without knowing the contents of the hand is difficult... to say nothing of the controller's role in choosing the card in the first place.

And of course, there are all sorts of mindgames that can go into this too - if you Mystical Tutor an Enter the Infinite the previous turn, the opponent will be very strongly primed to choose high. Alternatively, if you're short a few mana to cast a board wipe, you could get some help from an opponent with a bit of negotiation.

Anyway, fascinating card... but I've never actually seen it run. I have contemplated it for my Thada deck in the past, but haven't gotten around to actually testing it. I guess it mostly depends on evaluating how valuable free spells are, and how consistently I would get them - a 4/4 flier isn't that exciting otherwise, and I generally have the mana needed to cast my big spells anyway. Hmmmm...

I will call out Sphinx Ambassador as a similar card that I've been wanting to run in Thada for ages - cheating stuff out from an opponent's deck seems way better than free spells from my own hand, largely due to being able to access effects and cards I can't get otherwise. Still waiting for a reprint though.

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 3 years ago

Mookie wrote:
3 years ago

I will call out [card]Sphinx Ambassador
as a similar card that I've been wanting to run in Thada for ages - cheating stuff out from an opponent's deck seems way better than free spells from my own hand, largely due to being able to access effects and cards I can't get otherwise. Still waiting for a reprint though.
I run Sphinx Ambassador in Maelstrom Wanderer. People always guess that I have chosen some big spell like Rune-Scarred Demon or Terastodon... but I usually go for Eternal Witness or Shriekmaw or something... Never had someone guess right.
The only issue is how long it takes to resolve the trigger. Once in a while is fine. Multiple times in a game is tiresome.

Master of Predicaments is a fun looking card, but I think at that CMC I would rather run something else. It has to be the right deck. You have to have cards in hand pretty much all the time, as it is horrible on an empty hand or with a small hand (woohoo, i cheated my card into play - but I have 6 lands and no other spells to cast).

It also needs to be a deck with some big splashy spells worth cheating in. This is not every deck.

So.... once you have a deck with big splashy spells and lots of card draw to keep your hand full and .... well, I feel like there are more impactful things for 5 mana.

I guess if you are an Omniscience deck it makes sense.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

3drinks

Sunday, July 19th, 2020; Wrath of God and functional colour shifted print, Damnation. No, Day of Judgment does not get this treatment because it's not functionally identical - it is strictly worse.

The iconic well costed wipe so iconic we refer to it anytime we sweep the board. But do we play it still, show of hands? Uhm, bad call on my part since I cant see you...but you still raised your hand didn't you 👀.

Ahem. With all the five cmc wipes with upside, how often do you fund yourself going back to old faithful?

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 3 years ago

i've been playing Fumigate, Rout and Planar Collapse in my Obzedat b/w control deck ahead of my Wrath and I think it's because they feel more thematically akin as well as slightly less shark-ish. The Fumigate might still come out because it doesn't really mesh with how Obzedat works but it can gain you a big life cushion against anyone creating creature tokens and that's been valuable! (i guess the big problem with the b/w control idea is that it eventually loses to anything BUT damage and you can't Abeyance three people every turn!)

I still love the card though. sometimes I think about just going all-in on board clears and manland and becoming the person I was when I played that age-old MTG Shandalar PC game and ran 4 x Wraths, 4 x Mishra's Factories, 4 x Swords to Plowshares giggle

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 3 years ago

I'm not really a fan of Wrath of God in EDH anymore - white just has so many board wipe options that it's pretty easy to find one more synergistic with the deck. Admittedly, most of them are more expensive - Tragic Arrogance, Martial Coup, Fumigate, Austere Command... but I don't think that one or two extra mana is that significant except in the fastest of metas. More significantly, white decks tend to be pretty creature-heavy, which can make board wipes awkward. Obviously better in control decks though.

On the other hand, I am a fan of Damnation... or would be, if not for the price tag. Black has significantly fewer board wipe options - Toxic Deluge is fantastic, but after that you just have the marginal-upside Crux of Fate and conditional Languish / Mutilate / Black Sun's Zenith. Going up the scale, there are things like Deadly Tempest and eventually Plague Wind / In Garruk's Wake, but you're paying a pretty significant premium for significantly more marginal upside. I will call out Decree of Pain as a very solid option though. Black decks also tend to have a lot more ways to recur creatures and benefit from them dying, which makes wiping your own board hurt less than it would for a white deck.

As for my own decks... My Orzhov decks both run Merciless Eviction, which is amazing. After that, mostly depends on the requirements of the decks - I'm running Martial Coup and Decree of Pain in Teysa, and Toxic Deluge in Sharuum. I don't think I'd run Wrath of God / Damnation in either. I would run Damnation in my black, non-white decks if not for price though. I'll also call out Supreme Verdict as a good option for Azorius decks.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 3 years ago

3drinks wrote:
3 years ago
No, Day of Judgment does not get this treatment because it's not functionally identical - it is strictly worse.
I've seen a lot of people say this and I always find it so weird. That's like saying Winds of Rath is strictly worse. Yeah, it's got a loophole, but who's more likely to have a creature that fits through that loophole, the person who knows its coming because they put it in their deck, or the person who doesn't? Sure, sometimes DoJ is worse (and tbf there aren't a ton of playable white regen if you're mono) but it can also be a lot better. It's definitely not STRICTLY worse.

Anyway, I agree with Mookie that Damnation is more likely to get played in my decks because of the lack of strong alternatives. Still, cmc does matter, even outside of fast metas, since it makes it easier to double-spell and get back onto the board first, or play ramp into the wipe.

With my white control decks, usually the question is whether I want to play a lot of artifacts/enchantments or not. If I don't, I'm usually more keen on Hour of Revelation, Akroma's Vengeance, Play of the Game, etc. If I do play artifacts/enchantments, though, and want to just wipe creatures, this is a solid choice. Most white-based planeswalker decks will also run stuff like this. Dropping a planeswalker and wipe in the same turn is an excellent way to start building value and controlling the flow of the game in the later stages.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 3 years ago

Toxic Deluge and Supreme Verdict I think are the only wraths I play ahead of these two, barring synergies or budget. They are great.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 3 years ago

WOG is always gonna be good. It's the only white card that goes in every white deck I play.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

3drinks

DirkGently wrote:
3 years ago
3drinks wrote:
3 years ago
No, Day of Judgment does not get this treatment because it's not functionally identical - it is strictly worse.
I've seen a lot of people say this and I always find it so weird. That's like saying Winds of Rath is strictly worse. Yeah, it's got a loophole, but who's more likely to have a creature that fits through that loophole, the person who knows its coming because they put it in their deck, or the person who doesn't? Sure, sometimes DoJ is worse (and tbf there aren't a ton of playable white regen if you're mono) but it can also be a lot better. It's definitely not STRICTLY worse.
But it is strictly worse by definition. At the same cost, same speed, both deal with the same card types, but one is sometimes not as effective. While, yes, regeneration has been phased out for indestructible (which is really just "0: regenerate" that you don't have to respond with, but I digress), this does make the card strictly worse. By how much worse, that's debatable, and I'm pretty confident if you want one, you can't go wrong with the other, but it is a nonzero amount of difference that is definitely not negligible. In the scope of RCotD, if I'm gonna draw comparisons like today, they should be functional reprints, or a cycle like the Signets a few days ago.

umtiger

Post by umtiger » 3 years ago

I'm still looking to upgrade to a Beta Wrath of God. It's unlikely to happen for a while since there's no big events to trade cards at.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 3 years ago

I basically never play these anymore. I want more versatility or more surgical things that don't reset my own board.

More winds of abandon, living death, hour of revelation, terminus, devastation tide, pernicious deed, toxic deluge. Even doomwake giant sometimes.

In general though I'm trying to wipe less.

Re: day of judgment

It's not strictly worse because you can regenerate your own creatures (and plan around that).

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 3 years ago

fave cards to regen through Day of Judgment:

Masticore
🐍 the SQUAD: River Boa, Mire Boa, Blight Mamba 🐍

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 3 years ago

A couple things. First, if you play Wrath of God, you should play the original art with the bare butt on it. Second, I'm glad people are moving away from these, but only because I love being able to more reliably regenerate Lord of Tresserhorn.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

onering

Post by onering » 3 years ago

3drinks wrote:
3 years ago
DirkGently wrote:
3 years ago
3drinks wrote:
3 years ago
But it is strictly worse by definition. At the same cost, same speed, both deal with the same card types, but one is sometimes not as effective. While, yes, regeneration has been phased out for indestructible (which is really just "0: regenerate" that you don't have to respond with, but I digress), this does make the card strictly worse. By how much worse, that's debatable, and I'm pretty confident if you want one, you can't go wrong with the other, but it is a nonzero amount of difference that is definitely not negligible. In the scope of RCotD, if I'm gonna draw comparisons like today, they should be functional reprints, or a cycle like the Signets a few days ago.
No, Dirk is right, it's not strictly worse, and for the reasons he said. It is, as you say, less effective at killing all the creatures because things can regenerate, but that has as much potential to be an upside as it does a downside. So yes, its worse than wrath when your opponents have a couple of regenerating creatures, but its BETTER when you do.

As for Wrath and Damnation, they're both great. The mana discount is worth it. Austere Command is better for the flexibility, but these two classics still make it into many of my decks, especially Damnation.

ironic gesture

Post by ironic gesture » 3 years ago

Day of Judgment combos with Fanatical Devotion but not sure I've ever experienced the no regen rider mattering personally. Wrath mostly gets the nod in my decks where I'm worried about cmc (Perhaps bc I'm building a bit higher power deck). Otherwise I'll run the upside sweepers.

schweinefett

Post by schweinefett » 3 years ago

Day of judgement isn't necessarily worse; if you run some general with regenerate, then day of judgement is like a one-sided wrath often enough.

But yea, I don't use wrath of god cuz I don't have any white decks at all. The last time I did have a deck with white, I did actually start with one in. Maybe it's just instinct. I don't really see what's inherently bad about it though. It's 4cmc, and you only really need it when you're far behind. It's not all that bad.

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 3 years ago

I own 5 or 6 copies, and I think I'm playing 3 of them? It's obviously in Phelddagrif "DirkGently Special" as an extremely classic, efficient sweeper - the deck runs like ten sweepers with the priority being either instant-speed sweepers OR sweepers that are 4 or less CMC. It's also in Heliod, Sun-Crowned as an a very efficient sweeper with the sick FTV art. And I believe one is in Mirri, Weatherlight Duelist because I wanted two sweepers and it was the "next best option" left in my collection after Tragic Arrogance (don't own Fortunate Few, Winds of Abandon, Cataclysmic Gearhulk and am out of copies of Austere Command or it'd be one of them instead I think). Could be misremembering and the deck is actually running Single Combat to test though.

Almost every deck my wife and I own is creature-heavy which means I usually prefer ways to break the symmetry and am willing to spend a little extra on a Austere Command or Dusk // Dawn or Wave of Reckoning or whatever to do so. In more controlling decks this still isn't a first-pick necessarily; the flexibility of Command (and Cleansing Nova and Hour of Revelation and Akroma's Vengeance) and the instant speed of Fated Retribution and Rout are worth a TON.

Damnation is different because Black lacks the sheer variety of sweepers and it's clearly either its best or second-best after Toxic Deluge - hence one of many reasons beyond just printings why WoG is a few bucks and Damnation is several times that. I'd play Damnation a lot more often if I owned any, but I don't and it's a bit too rich for my blood.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 3 years ago

@ WOG v. DoJ

I see the argument for the regeneration tricks, but honestly when was the last time anyone here has had to interact with the regeneration mechanic? The sheer scarcity of playable regenerators is a factor here; I can only think of Asceticism off the top off of my head.

Considering then that Asceticism is what it is, I'd rather play WOG any day, every day. The 1/1000 chance of DoJ failing me is enough to remove it from any and all future consideration. I hate it when sweepers won't sweep, damn it.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 3 years ago

I've never had one. I need to get a Classic Sixth Edition version (the core set when I started). Love that Hoover art!

I never needed one because I always used the obtuse, synergistic wraths. Your March of Souls and Kirtar's Wrath in Radiant, Phyrexian Rebirth in Jor, Life's Finale in Geth. Otherwise I pay up for the more versatile versions.

Fun to see how much Yavimaya Hollow and Swarmyard cost these days.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 3 years ago

Huh. I never noticed the butt. Then someone here mentioned it and now I can't not. Thanks for that whoever it was. I still love the art nonetheless.

I've actually never owned a copy, strangely enough - that being said, these days I prefer to go for something that skews in favour of my deck where I can. I'm willing to pay more for that. Alternately, Hour of Revelation is pretty amazing and very well costed 95% of the time.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 3 years ago

Tbh I think WoG and DoJ are a lot more similar to each other than to Damnation, the color change is way more meaningful than the regen clause.

Regen is rare enough that if I was running even a single card that regenerated a creature, I'd play DoJ over WoG. Besides the fact that you can prepare for it in deckbuilding, you can also prepare for it when playing if you have it in hand - even if you're unlucky enough to have an opponent with a regen creature, they might unknowingly tap out, whereas you know just when it's coming down and can make sure you can regen.

Personal favorite regen is definitely Yavimaya Hollow, no question. And it pairs oh-so-nicely with DoJ to create a pretty near Duneblast.
Hawk wrote:
3 years ago
I own 5 or 6 copies, and I think I'm playing 3 of them? It's obviously in Phelddagrif "DirkGently Special" as an extremely classic, efficient sweeper - the deck runs like ten sweepers with the priority being either instant-speed sweepers OR sweepers that are 4 or less CMC.
Interestingly, it doesn't currently make the cut in my personal Phelddagrif deck since I usually prefer sweepers that clear out artifacts/enchantments/planeswalkers as well, since the deck runs very few of any of those. Although Supreme Verdict is in there, so the line is real close. I've been trying to cut down the number of sweepers a bit, though, I think I'm on 8 atm.

Finally got my FoW and FoN for that deck today. :party:
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 3 years ago

toctheyounger wrote:
3 years ago
Huh. I never noticed the butt. Then someone here mentioned it and now I can't not. Thanks for that whoever it was.
You're welcome.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

3drinks

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
3 years ago
@ WOG v. DoJ

I see the argument for the regeneration tricks, but honestly when was the last time anyone here has had to interact with the regeneration mechanic? The sheer scarcity of playable regenerators is a factor here; I can only think of Asceticism off the top off of my head.
Thrun, the Last Troll is probably the best example where it matters. Shout out to the aforementioned Yavimaya Hollow.

3drinks

Monday, July 20th, 2020; Martyr's Cry

I think I kinda dig it, in the context of mono-w. For two and a card you can turn your board into a fresh grip, and maybe nail a few other creatures too. Kinda has a Reprocess vibe to it. Likely very hard to actually net raw CA off of, barring some token support. BFFs with Kjeldoran Outpost sure.

That art is...unfortunate.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”