Unreleased and New Card Discussion

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional
Pronoun: he / him

Post by DirkGently » 6 months ago

Good point. Honestly they look many times better than 14th + Vislor Turlough or Clara Oswald.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Wayta - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Eris - Magda - Ghired2 - Xander - Me - Slogurk - Gilraen - Shelob2 - Kellan1 - Leori - Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

NZB2323
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by NZB2323 » 6 months ago

5colorsrainbow wrote:
6 months ago
kirkusjones wrote:
6 months ago
RxPhantom wrote:
6 months ago
Looking at the flavor text for Demand Answers, I think the attempt on Aurelia's life was a false flag* operation conducted by the Boros Legion so they can justify moving against the Rakdos Cult.

*I know this terminology is a dog whistle of sorts, and wasn't my intention.
Sounds like a win-win for the Golgari.
The Golgari are basically non-existent atm, Vraska purposely compleated most of the guild by having Realmbreaker open up in the Undercity as the first strike of the Ravnican Invasion.
But couldn't they have grown zombies from everyone who died during the invasion and grown more plants? Wizards always makes the 10 guilds roughly equal.
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

5colorsrainbow
Answers: 1

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 6 months ago

NZB2323 wrote:
6 months ago
5colorsrainbow wrote:
6 months ago
kirkusjones wrote:
6 months ago

Sounds like a win-win for the Golgari.
The Golgari are basically non-existent atm, Vraska purposely compleated most of the guild by having Realmbreaker open up in the Undercity as the first strike of the Ravnican Invasion.
But couldn't they have grown zombies from everyone who died during the invasion and grown more plants?
Possibly but the story says something to the note of the Golgari, and maybe the Dimir (Lazav has been missing and some believe dead), have been so thrashed during the War that Kaya and Tesya aren't surprised that none of them have come to the gala Teysa is having.
Wizards always makes the 10 guilds roughly equal.
Typically we come to Ravnica its a faction/guide set, this time its a top down murder mystery set that happens to be on Ravnica. So they can say x guilds are fallen apart but re-building and not feature them too much only for them return to power for for the next guild focused Ravnica set.
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 6 months ago

5colorsrainbow wrote:
6 months ago
Typically we come to Ravnica its a faction/guide set
Its also the first time we will be in ravnica for less than 3 sets, which gave extra time to flesh out the guilds.

I hope the set is about the guildless %$#% with the guilds

NZB2323

5colorsrainbow wrote:
6 months ago
NZB2323 wrote:
6 months ago
5colorsrainbow wrote:
6 months ago

But couldn't they have grown zombies from everyone who died during the invasion and grown more plants?
Possibly but the story says something to the note of the Golgari, and maybe the Dimir (Lazav has been missing and some believe dead), have been so thrashed during the War that Kaya and Tesya aren't surprised that none of them have come to the gala Teysa is having.
Wizards always makes the 10 guilds roughly equal.
Typically we come to Ravnica its a faction/guide set, this time its a top down murder mystery set that happens to be on Ravnica. So they can say x guilds are fallen apart but re-building and not feature them too much only for them return to power for for the next guild focused Ravnica set.
I had no idea there was a story already. It seems weird that there's no mention of Niv-Mizzet, the living guildpact.
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 6 months ago

NZB2323 wrote:
6 months ago
I had no idea there was a story already. It seems weird that there's no mention of Niv-Mizzet, the living guildpact.
The entire story, if I'm not mistaken, takes place within the confines of the Manor. This isn't a typical Ravnica set; it's a murder mystery set on Ravnica.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 5/26/24 (Modern Horizons III)

5colorsrainbow

NZB2323 wrote:
6 months ago
Niv will be in the set, they said there would be 6 guild leaders and niv and they will be getting guild leader frames.
RxPhantom wrote:
6 months ago
The entire story, if I'm not mistaken, takes place within the confines of the Manor.
Correct, the story of Karlov Manor will take place all (or mostly) in the manor.

The set of Karlov Manor will show cards from all over Ranvica

And the plane of Duskmourn is inside a giant manor.
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

duducrash
Still Learning

5colorsrainbow wrote:
6 months ago
6 guild leaders
Weird number. do we have for vacancies?

5colorsrainbow

The current guild leaders and who might be in the set;
Azorius- Lavinia is the current acting guildmaster and is at the gala
Dimir- Lazav is thought dead but not confirmed. Etrata is in the set and might have taken over but uncertain
Rakdos- Rakdos and we seen he gets a card and a guild leader frame
Gruul- Borborygmos is the stand in guild leader and is absent with another Gruul member there
Selesnya- Trostoni is still guild leader but isnt at the party with Tolsimir as the guilds rep.
Orzhov- Teysa took control of the guild from under Kaya and is confirmed to have a card
Izzet- Ral is noted as not being there, the text is unclear if he has a spark or not and we have a new Izzet character that might be the featured Izzet character.
Golgari- Vraska is presumed dead and the guild is in shambles. Izoni is in the set but if shes a guild leader or just what is left.
Boros - Aurelia and she has a card with the guild leader frame
Simic- Vannifar is there at the gala

So its likely- Rakdos, Auriela, Lavinia, Teysa and Vannifar with either Etrata or Izoni took control of the Dimir and Golgari unless another guild leader who wasnt talk about in the first story gets a card.

DirkGently

The Fifteenth Doctor looks pretty meh to me. The improvise text has existed (without restrictions) on Inspiring Statuary and it's not that impressive. Not tapping for colored mana is a big downgrade from Galazeth Prismari.

The etb/attack trigger is okay but it's really restrictive. To have a good hit rate you really need a ton of cmc 2-3 artifacts. I guess you could just take it as a mill 3? But then it's not trivial to safely swing with a Hill Giant.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Eris - Magda - Ghired2 - Xander - Me - Slogurk - Gilraen - Shelob2 - Kellan1 - Leori - Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 6 months ago

The Fifteenth Doctor is a better UR partner for Nyssa of Traken than The Ninth Doctor (though CMC being the same as her is not great). I will try him out there.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 6 months ago

With KTK out on Arena, we finally see our new non-Cat mono-Demon rakshasa. Honestly they did a great job, they all look pretty impressive and terrifying, and they even updated the art on Rakshasa's Secret and Villainous Wealth.

While the rakshasa are all now Demons only, Nagas are still Naga. To be fair, they specified that only rakshasa would be updated when KTK releases on Arena, and didn't give a specific timeline for the other changes, like Naga to Snake. Perhaps with the next Tarkir releases.
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

NZB2323

Current Decks

Retired Decks

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

I realized that the reason I'm not all that pumped for Ravnica Remastered is that I have everything I want from those blocks. I played an obscene about of limited and Standard during RtR especially. I may check out some of the alternate art treatments and hopefully get some drafts in, but other than that...*shrug*
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 5/26/24 (Modern Horizons III)

DirkGently

We already got a mastered Ravnica set, though. It's called Ravnica: city of guilds. Why would we need to "re" master it?
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 6 months ago

The original Ravnica block was an absolutely brilliant draft experience, arguably my favorite draft of all time. If this could get even halfway there it would be worth the money to me, but that's really the only hype I can muster.

NZB2323

DirkGently wrote:
6 months ago
We already got a mastered Ravnica set, though. It's called Ravnica: city of guilds. Why would we need to "re" master it?
For the same reason we're returning to Ravnica a 2nd time after a Return to Ravnica set. Ravnica is awesome, and we're getting great reprints. I'm always for great reprints and cards being more affordable.
Current Decks

Retired Decks

DirkGently

NZB2323 wrote:
6 months ago
For the same reason we're returning to Ravnica a 2nd time after a Return to Ravnica set. Ravnica is awesome, and we're getting great reprints. I'm always for great reprints and cards being more affordable.
So just rerelease r:cog.

I'm mostly kidding (though I don't care about reprint sets), but I do chafe a bit at the idea that including Niv-Mizzet, Parun makes Ravnica more "mastered".
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

duducrash
Still Learning

Are there commander decks coming? Any new cards?

DirkGently

Am I the only one who really doesn't care for these old border versions of new cards? I like the look of old-bordered cards because those cards ARE OLD, I remember playing with them or seeing them or whatever. Putting a new card in old border is like dressing up a stranger in my mother's clothes and claiming it's the same thing.

Really doesn't help when they're doing things like colored artifacts or hybrid cards that never existed back then.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 6 months ago

I agree: It feels wrong and bad when new cards (with new abilities and new words that did not exist in the '90s and early 2000s!) have old borders. BRC hurt a lot.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 6 months ago

I hate the old borders and am thrilled when I get a chance to eliminate one from my decks. They're a cute novelty to look at online but that's it.

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 6 months ago

DirkGently wrote:
6 months ago
Am I the only one who really doesn't care for these old border versions of new cards? I like the look of old-bordered cards because those cards ARE OLD, I remember playing with them or seeing them or whatever. Putting a new card in old border is like dressing up a stranger in my mother's clothes and claiming it's the same thing.

Really doesn't help when they're doing things like colored artifacts or hybrid cards that never existed back then.
If you don't feel the same way about all alternate frames it sounds like you're just a boomer hater.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

I like the old border treatments. I like most of the alternate/novelty frames they've come out with. Of the three 'main' borders we've had since Alpha, I think they've only gotten better. The M15 frame smokes its predecessors.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”