Pronoun: he / him

Post by Dunharrow » 4 years ago

I wonder how many times this has been hit by smash to smithereens
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 4 years ago

Scars (and later the whole block) had so much that I felt like...they just wanted to try out and see what stuck. Fond memories of it. Also was before we got Commander products (New Phyrexia kicked off Legendary Summer) and 20+ legends in every set.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

KMA_Again
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by KMA_Again » 4 years ago

I wish Precursor was able to be a commander with a multicolor identity somehow, like Transguild Courier. I'd love to be able to duplicate it endlessly with access to it from the command zone.
Galvinor, the Precursor
Legendary Artifact Creature — Golem
Galvinor, the Precursor is all colors.
When Galvinor, the Precursor enters the battlefield, create two 3/3 colorless Golem artifact creature tokens.
Whenever a player casts an instant or sorcery spell that targets only a single Golem, that player copies that spell for each other Golem that spell could target. Each copy targets a different one of those Golems.
You may have more than one Galvinor, the Precursor on the battlefield.
From one came many, yet all the multitudes were one
3/3
It would still have the weakness of all of them dying to a single Lightning Bolt but access to things like Twinflame and Mirrorweave.
The flavor is a hivemind golem being, which the spell copying still fits as they are all networked.

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool
Answers: 2

Post by tstorm823 » 4 years ago

Mookie wrote:
4 years ago
a pile of vanilla 3/3s isn't that exciting.
You'd be surprised. Especially since radiate type effects are one of those strategies at odds with itself, you need both things to radiate and things to radiate onto, and they compete for deck space. Precursor Golem being 3 creatures to kick of the shenanigans is huge, you can play it in a deck with few creatures and still execute the strategy. Which is sort of an invisible internal synergy: a deck based on targeted spells is can easily end up creature light, and a deck that's creature light stands most to benefit from getting multiple bodies in play for cheap. I play this card in Zedruu now, but I've built multiple entire decks in different formats around this card, and having 3 3/3s is super relevant.

As far as math problems go, I once hit slightly more than a mole of golems completely non-infinitely with a combination of targeted clone spells and a Knowledge Pool. It's a fun card.

Also, it's likely many people are already playing cards that are neat with Precursor that they aren't thinking about. Chaos Warp and Path to Exile, mass pump like Cathars' Crusade, flicker effects, etb doublers. You know, it plays nice with fun targeted spells, and fun etb nonsense, and go-wide synergies all in one card, and as long as nobody is weird and casts Searing Blaze you're good.
Zedruu: "This deck is not only able to go crazy - it also needs to do so."

Dragoon

Post by Dragoon » 4 years ago

3drinks wrote:
4 years ago
Dragoon wrote:
4 years ago
3drinks wrote:
4 years ago
We all have some outlandish stories about the Dugtrio of Magic (I'm dating myself on that reference, surely 😂).
Well, now I kinda want a Dugtrio alter of this card ... and I'm not even playing it. I'll add it to my pokemon alter wishlist alongside a Charizard alter of Territorial Hellkite.
I'm up next in my alterist's queue, I could add that. But I'm not paying $50 for something I won't play. Besides, that $50 goes to my super Ragavan remix 😂
A Mankey alter? :P

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 4 years ago

3drinks wrote:
4 years ago
We all have some outlandish stories about the Dugtrio of Magic (I'm dating myself on that reference, surely ). What are yours? I once hit the modo token cap of 250 on the v3 client, after messing around with them, mizzium transreliquat, rite of replication, and radiate (the client did end in a crash and, what I can only presume to be a giant middle finger directed right at me ).
I think the only thing I've done that's kind of ridiculous is just Rite of Replication. Most of the time, I just gain 9 life from a swords to plowshares.

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 4 years ago

I remember Vanish into Memory being the new hotness with PCG.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 4 years ago

Dragoon wrote:
4 years ago
3drinks wrote:
4 years ago
Dragoon wrote:
4 years ago

Well, now I kinda want a Dugtrio alter of this card ... and I'm not even playing it. I'll add it to my pokemon alter wishlist alongside a Charizard alter of Territorial Hellkite.
I'm up next in my alterist's queue, I could add that. But I'm not paying $50 for something I won't play. Besides, that $50 goes to my super Ragavan remix 😂
A Mankey alter? :P
Dang, I shoulda opted for that. I'll ping you here once it's back. It's really hilarious.
Sinis wrote:
4 years ago
3drinks wrote:
4 years ago
We all have some outlandish stories about the Dugtrio of Magic (I'm dating myself on that reference, surely ). What are yours? I once hit the modo token cap of 250 on the v3 client, after messing around with them, mizzium transreliquat, rite of replication, and radiate (the client did end in a crash and, what I can only presume to be a giant middle finger directed right at me ).
I think the only thing I've done that's kind of ridiculous is just Rite of Replication. Most of the time, I just gain 9 life from a swords to plowshares.
I remember the thing in limited with these guys was to cast Twisted Image versus them. That was a fun blowout.
Steel Sabotage'ng Orbs of Mellowness since 2011.

I collect Kaalia of the Vast normal-size cards. Do you have any extra taking up space in your binder? Help me grow my collection! :)

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

lyonhaert
Answers: 4
Pronoun: they / them

Post by lyonhaert » 4 years ago

Serenade wrote:
4 years ago
I remember Vanish into Memory being the new hotness with PCG.
I was piloting Zedruu the other day and donated the tokens so I'd draw and gain life. Vanish into Memory got countered, though. :laugh:
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool

lyonhaert wrote:
4 years ago
I was piloting Zedruu the other day and donated the tokens so I'd draw and gain life. Vanish into Memory got countered, though. :laugh:
Why would anyone waste a counter on "draw 9, discard 3, and steal your tokens back"? Weird.

lyonhaert

tstorm823 wrote:
4 years ago
lyonhaert wrote:
4 years ago
Why would anyone waste a counter on "draw 9, discard 3, and steal your tokens back"? Weird.
And after I'd drawn about 20 cards over the previous 4 turns, pitched a bunch to Nahiri's Wrath to wipe opponents' scary stuff, still had 7-8 in hand and pitched those to Perplex to make sure Nahiri's Wrath went through (probably should have kept them, but Zedruu was getting me extra cards). Totally innocent. It's a complete mystery to me. /s
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool

lyonhaert wrote:
4 years ago
And after I'd drawn about 20 cards over the previous 4 turns, pitched a bunch to Nahiri's Wrath to wipe opponents' scary stuff, still had 7-8 in hand and pitched those to Perplex to make sure Nahiri's Wrath went through (probably should have kept them, but Zedruu was getting me extra cards). Totally innocent. It's a complete mystery to me. /s
I choose to imagine that person seeing you dump your hand completely and responding "Really?"

lyonhaert

tstorm823 wrote:
4 years ago
lyonhaert wrote:
4 years ago
I choose to imagine that person seeing you dump your hand completely and responding "Really?"
"....okay...."

Yeah, they were surprised. I won the prior game, so I was in more of a "well, let's see what happens" mood.
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

3drinks

Saturday, May 9th, 2020; Dovin's Veto

I've played last word before and been genuinely happy. I presume this to behave much the same. These have a certain type of finality to them, and it's even Sunforgerable!

I collect Kaalia of the Vast normal-size cards. Do you have any extra taking up space in your binder? Help me grow my collection! :)

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 4 years ago

I really like uncounterability on counterspells, design-wise. Simply because, if someone is casting a BS win-the-game card - expropriate or whatever - and it gets vetoed, they're usually just SOL. Where if the person playing the BS win-the-game card has a veto themselves, it's not generally more useful than a regular counterspell since the other players can just counter the original spell again. In other words, it favors the defenders.

As such, I like veto as a way to beat a counter-backed win condition without wasting resources when playing a control deck. The nightmare scenario is someone else playing a wincon, getting into a counter-war-slap-fight over it, you win, but then the next opponent winning uncontested while you're out of counterspells and/or mana. With veto, it's over, it's done, and the next guy has to face off against BOTH your counterspells.

I don't love the type restriction, but I think it's still a solid choice. Less so if you're planning to use counters to protect your wincons, for the reasons stated, although I guess it's still at least as good as negate so long as the mana isn't a thing.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Wayta - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Eris - Magda - Ghired2 - Xander - Me - Slogurk - Gilraen - Shelob2 - Kellan1 - Leori - Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

MeowZeDung

Post by MeowZeDung » 4 years ago

Strong against combo. It was originally in my Kykar list because it's Sunforger friendly and can't be countered, but I took it out because I don't run up against a ton of non-creature combo. Easy include in a combo heavy or unknown meta for that deck otherwise.
Kykar primer and other active decks (click!)

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 4 years ago

In general, I consider Negate to be a card worth consideration for any blue deck, and Dovin's Veto is generally an upgrade, assuming sufficient fixing. Countermagic is by far the best answer to game-ending sorceries like Rise of the Dark Realms and Villainous Wealth, and being immune to countermagic itself is certainly also relevant.

I would say that the main downside to Dovin's Veto is that there is so much competition for countermagic - from Swan Song to Force of Will to the original Counterspell, there are more options than you can ever really fit in a deck. The power level spectrum for countermagic is also flat enough that I'd say that the inclusion or exclusion of any specific spell will usually come down to personal preference, synergy with the deck, and meta. If you're in a blue-heavy meta with lots of countermagic, Veto will shine. On the other hand, if your deck has problems with creatures, you may want something even less conditional.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 4 years ago

Card is fine, but I'm kind of surprised that there hasn't been a counterspell just called Veto yet.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 5/26/24 (Modern Horizons III)

Dunharrow

Great in Sunforger decks... but then they also get to run Counterflux.

3drinks

Dunharrow wrote:
4 years ago
I love that there's about...fourteen iirc? counterspells that are also Sunforgerable. Hmm, let's see, I'm curious now.
sunforger counters
Approximate Total Cost:

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

ZenN

Post by ZenN » 4 years ago

Dovin's Veto is great. It has gone into nearly all my UW decks since it was printed.

For the most part, there are few creatures I care about using a counter on, so being restricted to noncreature isn't a big deal.
Commander
Golos, ETB Pilgrim - Value Town
Maelstrom Wanderer a.k.a. The Kool-Aid Man
Korvold, Fae-Cursed King - OM NOM NOM
Kykar, Wind's Fury - Spellslinger + Tokens

pokken

Post by pokken » 4 years ago

dovin's veto is my second favorite thing to counter with spell queller after supreme verdict. :)

Dunharrow

3drinks wrote:
4 years ago
Dunharrow wrote:
4 years ago
I love that there's about...fourteen iirc? counterspells that are also Sunforgerable. Hmm, let's see, I'm curious now.
sunforger counters
Approximate Total Cost:

I run Ojutai's Command. There is also Ionize, and a few of the charms, like Temur Charm,

Myllior
Answers: 1

Post by Myllior » 4 years ago

Negate is a staple in my decks, so I love Dovin's Veto. It may not be infallible, but the increased reliability sure is nice. I hope they eventually print a version with Split Second.

3drinks

Dunharrow wrote:
4 years ago
3drinks wrote:
4 years ago
Dunharrow wrote:
4 years ago
sunforger counters
Approximate Total Cost:

I run Ojutai's Command. There is also Ionize, and a few of the charms, like Temur Charm,
Ah, yes, ionize - the better suffocating blast. Love not needing two targets. I don't think you can count temur charm though because you'd need to be in a 4c deck minimum.

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”