[mtgnexus] Random Card of the Day - Golgari Thug

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional
Pronoun: he / him

Post by DirkGently » 1 year ago

3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
That's really what it's for tbh. Fetches are the best fixing you can get, capable of fixing up to three colours or finding basics when you need or want to play around Back to Basics, and as such it stands to reason having even more options to hit is gonna be better, not worse. People can and will wasteland you off a colour and having more options to fetch into is incredibly relevant. Maybe you play in some christmasland where you don't face LD or don't have players spite wasting your colours, but that's not what I see. Further, consider when you'd fetch a shock EOT and don't have a spell to play so you let it come in tapped which is effectively what these represent. So you fetch these instead to minimize the drawback, and then fetch into the shock untapped on the next turn. terramorphic expanse|brc can't do this as the land is always tapped, a la, less options for how you play.

Naturally I come at this from the stance that you have the full suite of fetches (6 in mono, 9 in bicolour, 11 in tri and etc). If you don't, then obviously look to the other untyped options.
I agree that fetches are the strongest fixing and I always run all available copies.

Using a wasteland on a dual land is a pretty awful decision outside of a 1v1 or a game that's close to over. There are way too many strong lands, and setting yourself back a land is a major cost. That's one of those "cutthroat" plays that's actually just bad.

If you're playing 3c then your best tapped target will always be your triome. So with shocks you've already got 2 targets for any given fetch to hit any given other color, I.e. in bant if you need UU and draw a rw and bw fetch, you can fetch Spara's Headquarters and Hallowed Fountain. This is ofc assuming you don't have abu duals, plus it's a pretty unlikely scenario. More likely that, if you draw a second fetch, it's capable of hitting a different color, or you need a different second color, etc and then you have other targets. So we're already talking about a pretty rare scenario and we've still got it well covered with two targets. And that's not even getting into bicycles or tangos, which you'll have access to 2 or 4 of in 3c and are also strictly superior.

Ofc if you fetch it tapped then a shock is equal to an etbt dual, but the shock has the option to untap where etbt doesnt. Scorching Spear is just as good as Forked Bolt when your opponent is at 1, but there are lots of scenarios where they aren't equal, so you don't run spear unless you're desperate for burn. We have sufficient alternatives for dual types fetches, so we aren't desperate enough for these ones. Unless you're on a really strict budget, but then why do you have fetches?
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

gsgfdf

Post by gsgfdf » 1 year ago

DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
Unless you're on a really strict budget, but then why do you have fetches?
This is not true at the moment, at least for enemy fetches. Even Scalding Tarn costs just 19€ right now. I am in the process of building a 5C manabase and I would rather spend a bit more on a fetch than on any other land. The common duals will be placeholders until Wotc finish the tango lands cycle.

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 1 year ago

Sunday, January 1st 2023; Sardian Avenger

What a way to start the new year. Another Disciple of the Vault. I must have missed this. I should get one.

3drinks

DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
If you're playing 3c then your best tapped target will always be your triome. So with shocks you've already got 2 targets for any given fetch to hit any given other color, I.e. in bant if you need UU and draw a rw and bw fetch, you can fetch Spara's Headquarters and Hallowed Fountain. This is ofc assuming you don't have abu duals, plus it's a pretty unlikely scenario. More likely that, if you draw a second fetch, it's capable of hitting a different color, or you need a different second color, etc and then you have other targets. So we're already talking about a pretty rare scenario and we've still got it well covered with two targets. And that's not even getting into bicycles or tangos, which you'll have access to 2 or 4 of in 3c and are also strictly superior.
It's just options, which is the biggest point you miss. Being outside of a 60 card format means you only have one triome. We finally have enough to just about never run out of options to fetch, which I feel is exciting. 19 fetchable duals + a smattering of basic lands is a wonderful place to be, especially as we get more and more plains type fetching. Yeah, I can hit my colours in 2-3 lands, but now I can replicate them easier without relying on Reflecting Pool|tmp as much. Or at all, as my last outline doesn't feature it. Bottom line is, it's never going to be bad to have more options in the mana.

DirkGently

3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
It's just options, which is the biggest point you miss. Being outside of a 60 card format means you only have one triome. We finally have enough to just about never run out of options to fetch, which I feel is exciting. 19 fetchable duals + a smattering of basic lands is a wonderful place to be, especially as we get more and more plains type fetching. Yeah, I can hit my colours in 2-3 lands, but now I can replicate them easier without relying on Reflecting Pool|tmp as much. Or at all, as my last outline doesn't feature it. Bottom line is, it's never going to be bad to have more options in the mana.
Why would you ever need to fetch enough times for that to be relevant? And how would you realistically fetch that many times?

Once you have sufficient fetch targets that you REALISTICALLY won't run out of targets, typing becomes irrelevant and you can just run whichever the best fixing is in a vacuum - BBDs, exotic orchard, pathways, command tower, etc. Reasonable people can disagree on how many is sufficient for fetch targets, but it's certainly nowhere close to 19 in a 3c deck. Running more than necessary, especially when they're guildgate-tier fixers, is just hurting your manabase for no reason.

Fetches are relatively cheap rn, true, but shocks are still cheaper afaik, as are triomes. Paying for fetches so you can hit etbt duals seems very cart-before-horse. If you're always hitting tapped duals, you're barely superior to thriving lands for a thousand times the price.

Options are only relevant if the cards are relevant. They can print 10000 versions of Goblin Piker, it won't have any actual impact on the format. These are okay for extremely budget decks as neo-guildgates, but that's basically it outside of very niche situations (that also involve budget).
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 1 year ago

3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
Bottom line is, it's never going to be bad to have more options in the mana.
I don't really understand because you seem to play in competitive enough circles that mana coming into play tapped is a considerable downside.

If you are 3 colors and you remove 3 of these come into play tapped lands and replace with 3 basics I believe it will be a net improvement. I think it's actually quite obvious.
Neverminding checklands or other cycles of lands that are not fetchable but still pretty darn good.

I feel like you went so all-in on perfect mana that you forgot the main attraction of fetches - getting untapped duals.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

Mookie
Answers: 48
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 1 year ago

Sardian Avenger doesn't quite replace Disciple of the Vault - the former only triggers on your opponents' artifacts dying, which is much more difficult to build around. Still, it does seem like a solid aggressive creature, if that's what you're looking for. I could easily see it attacking with 4+ power on turn 3, and if one of you opponents is playing an artifact deck (or just a bunch of treasure), I could see it attacking for 10+ damage without much difficulty. First strike and trample are both pretty good keywords too, which let it get in for damage consistently. Not a card I would play in a more controlling deck, but if you're doing goblin / aggro stuff, could be very strong.

3drinks

Monday, January 2nd, 2023; Bhaal, Lord of Murder

3drinks

Dunharrow wrote:
1 year ago
3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
Bottom line is, it's never going to be bad to have more options in the mana.
I don't really understand because you seem to play in competitive enough circles that mana coming into play tapped is a considerable downside.

If you are 3 colors and you remove 3 of these come into play tapped lands and replace with 3 basics I believe it will be a net improvement. I think it's actually quite obvious.
Neverminding checklands or other cycles of lands that are not fetchable but still pretty darn good.

I feel like you went so all-in on perfect mana that you forgot the main attraction of fetches - getting untapped duals.
An untyped dual doesn't help you fix per say, it's only good if you happen to randomly draw it off the top. Command Tower gets a pass because it unconditionally fixes all colours, effortlessly, and without any prereq or cost. Being able to turn any fetch into any colour combination is invaluable, and inevitably there will be times where you don't need the mana immediately and thus you can afford these. There's a few priorities you can structure your fetch sequence after;

Fetch basics to set up a tango land
Fetch shocks and abus if you need mana right now
Fetch these if you just need colours next turn
This then allows you to leverage the bicycle duals to turn them into a cantrip if you see them late (which is a better rip than a late untyped dual, naturally) while being available if you still need the colours early such as, say, you wanted to play Kiki-Jiki into Grand Abolisher into Necropotence. Following this pattern allows you to sometimes actually use the cycling text, rather than view it as some sort of frivolous trinket text.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 year ago

Recently, I played against a 5C goad deck which resolved Bhaal, then copied him with Sakashima of a Thousand Faces. I ended up boardwiping when that player was at 24 life just to keep the indestructibles off the board.

His response?

"My Bhaals! Not my beautiful Bhaals!"
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

DirkGently

I don't dislike him, but I've found that my group doesn't like goad very much. I mean, mostly it's Jon. He doesn't like it when I do anything.

@TheAmericanSpirit real?
3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
An untyped dual doesn't help you fix per say, it's only good if you happen to randomly draw it off the top. Command Tower gets a pass because it unconditionally fixes all colours, effortlessly, and without any prereq or cost. Being able to turn any fetch into any colour combination is invaluable, and inevitably there will be times where you don't need the mana immediately and thus you can afford these. There's a few priorities you can structure your fetch sequence after;

Fetch basics to set up a tango land
Fetch shocks and abus if you need mana right now
Fetch these if you just need colours next turn
This then allows you to leverage the bicycle duals to turn them into a cantrip if you see them late (which is a better rip than a late untyped dual, naturally) while being available if you still need the colours early such as, say, you wanted to play Kiki-Jiki into Grand Abolisher into Necropotence. Following this pattern allows you to sometimes actually use the cycling text, rather than view it as some sort of frivolous trinket text.
I'm not sure what definition you're using for "fix" but I've never heard anyone say that a land needs to be fetchable to "fix" your mana. Any land that produces more than 1 color is a fixing land. Of course most cards you don't draw won't impact the game, but statistically if you have enough good untyped fixing lands, you're likely to draw at least some of them. The more and better fixing lands you run, the better the total fixing of your deck will be.

The problem I see with your evaluation is that your priorities render these lands redundant. Yes, Idyllic Beachfront is perfectly fine if you have (in the bant example) an Arid Mesa, don't need the mana this turn, and need blue by next turn. But a tango, a shock, an abu, a triome, or a bicycle would all fit that goal just as well, AND they're stronger in other circumstances AND they're better topdecks. So the only reason you'd get any value from having an additional dual-typed land in the deck is if you thought you were going to run out of every other target at some point in the game, which is simply not realistic imo.

Unless you're repeatedly recurring your fetches, you're only going to fetch a couple times in a typical game, and you'll most likely have fetches that hit different colors. If you need UU, and you hit arid mesa and Marsh Flats, then you need two UW duals, but if you draw literally any other fetchland in the deck, you'll be able to target a different subset of your duals - either a green fetch that will allow you to fetch your UG duals, or a blue fetch which will allow you to fetch those, UW, or a basic island, or a fetch that hits multiple on-color types.

Because of this I think you only really need 2, 3 at most of each basic type combination in a 3c deck. triome covers 1 for everything. ABU dual is the obvious choice if you have it. After that, shocks, then bicycles, then tangos imo. All of those except the abu dual are cheaper than the fetches afaik. Ofc enemy pairs have fewer options, but in a 3c deck I'd probably rather just have 2 of my enemy pairings and maybe 3 of my friendly ones. Once you get to 4 and 5 colors I'd definitely keep to 1-2 of each combination. Does that means it's theoretically possible to run out of targets, especially if you're recurring fetches? Maybe - I mean, there's still basics. But that's a very slim minority of games, which will become eclipsed by the more significant number of games where you screw yourself by drawing a guildgate when you need an untapped land.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

@DirkGently 'course it is. Would I lie to all you fine folks? ;)

Edit: for real though, I think that deck is also the only place I've ever seen Dubious Challenge get played.

3drinks

DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
The problem I see with your evaluation is that your priorities render these lands redundant. Yes, Idyllic Beachfront is perfectly fine if you have (in the bant example) an Arid Mesa, don't need the mana this turn, and need blue by next turn. But a tango, a shock, an abu, a triome, or a bicycle would all fit that goal just as well, AND they're stronger in other circumstances AND they're better topdecks. So the only reason you'd get any value from having an additional dual-typed land in the deck is if you thought you were going to run out of every other target at some point in the game, which is simply not realistic imo.

Unless you're repeatedly recurring your fetches, you're only going to fetch a couple times in a typical game, and you'll most likely have fetches that hit different colors. If you need UU, and you hit arid mesa and Marsh Flats, then you need two UW duals, but if you draw literally any other fetchland in the deck, you'll be able to target a different subset of your duals - either a green fetch that will allow you to fetch your UG duals, or a blue fetch which will allow you to fetch those, UW, or a basic island, or a fetch that hits multiple on-color types.
Yes, it is redundant. That's the point, to have a truly redundant, consistent manabase. You don't need your mana to do anything flashy, just ensure you have zero issues consistently hitting whatever combination of colours you need. Statistically fetchlands are the best, easiest way to ensure you can hit this point, ergo it stands to reason that having more options to do this with will raise your consistency. Do people really only fetch 2-3x a game? Cause I fetch every turn, and will jam Crucible of Worlds in everything, as well as Ramunap Excavator in decks that support it (i.e. anything with G). Life from the Loam in all GX grave decks. Do people not regularly do this? I can't wrap my head around not utilizing the grave and my lands to effortlessly fix everything for me, so I can then use my spell slots to do my business. It's resource management.
DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
Because of this I think you only really need 2, 3 at most of each basic type combination in a 3c deck. triome covers 1 for everything. ABU dual is the obvious choice if you have it. After that, shocks, then bicycles, then tangos imo. All of those except the abu dual are cheaper than the fetches afaik. Ofc enemy pairs have fewer options, but in a 3c deck I'd probably rather just have 2 of my enemy pairings and maybe 3 of my friendly ones. Once you get to 4 and 5 colors I'd definitely keep to 1-2 of each combination. Does that means it's theoretically possible to run out of targets, especially if you're recurring fetches? Maybe - I mean, there's still basics. But that's a very slim minority of games, which will become eclipsed by the more significant number of games where you screw yourself by drawing a guildgate when you need an untapped land.
That's why you fetch those lands first. Fetching those hits your colours and those premium lands latre then become painless if you did draw them since they're probably going to come untapped. And in the case of bicycles and tricycles, if you draw them late in this way, you can at least bin them for a fresh card, which you couldn't if you rushed into fetching them first. And even then, if you drew one of these tap lands late before you could fetch it? So what. Flooting fodder, Retrace fodder, pitch to seismic assault/ayula's influence, or any other manner of discard outlet most decks would want to play (i.e. Compulsive Research, which is really, really good, btw).

DirkGently

3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
Yes, it is redundant. That's the point, to have a truly redundant, consistent manabase. You don't need your mana to do anything flashy, just ensure you have zero issues consistently hitting whatever combination of colours you need. Statistically fetchlands are the best, easiest way to ensure you can hit this point, ergo it stands to reason that having more options to do this with will raise your consistency. Do people really only fetch 2-3x a game? Cause I fetch every turn, and will jam Crucible of Worlds in everything, as well as Ramunap Excavator in decks that support it (i.e. anything with G). Life from the Loam in all GX grave decks. Do people not regularly do this? I can't wrap my head around not utilizing the grave and my lands to effortlessly fix everything for me, so I can then use my spell slots to do my business. It's resource management.
Even if you're consistently fetching every turn, past a certain point you can just hit basics instead without having much detrimental effect on your colors available. But of course you won't always have access to crucible, or even access to a fetch, though ofc with 9 copies you are fairly likely to have at least 1. You're not going to BS me with this "I always fetch every turn" nonsense. There are 9 fetches available to a 3c deck. That means you'll average 1 fetch in the first couple turns. Mathematically "fetching every turn" is not going to happen, stop hyperbolizing.

If you want to jam a bunch of tutors into a deck to find crucible then you could make it likely that you fetch a lot more often, but I really don't think it's worth that much effort in most decks. So long as you have good fixing and good draw, your mana typically sorts itself out. Some decks - i.e. landfall decks - might get extra value from this sort of setup and justify a lot of commitment to setting up a crucible engine, but for most decks it's not worth the investment.

Nothing you can do will ensure perfect mana every game*. Everything is a balancing act. Running more fetch targets improves the quality of your fetches, sure, but running bad duals weakens your other land slots. The goal is to find the middle ground where you aren't sacrificing too much of either. For a normal deck that's not hard-committing to a land recursion engine, it's usually as simple as triome + shocks/abus + a few basics. Sans recursion it's very unlikely for that to negatively impact the value of your fetches, and those lands are generally good draws as well. Beyond that, I think I'd rather have non-typed basics since I don't think it makes any real difference to my fetches and they are much better draws.

I do also think that crucible isn't that great of a card. Can be great in the right context, yes, but since most decks want substantial draw anyway, you'll naturally draw the lands you need without needing to rely on crucible, and it's a bad draw when you're already drawing sufficient lands. And unless you're running heavy tutors, you can't base your mana around having it. Plus it could just get blown up, especially if you're relying on it heavily.

*shut up 99 mountain ashling "players"
That's why you fetch those lands first. Fetching those hits your colours and those premium lands latre then become painless if you did draw them since they're probably going to come untapped. And in the case of bicycles and tricycles, if you draw them late in this way, you can at least bin them for a fresh card, which you couldn't if you rushed into fetching them first. And even then, if you drew one of these tap lands late before you could fetch it? So what. Flooting fodder, Retrace fodder, pitch to seismic assault/ayula's influence, or any other manner of discard outlet most decks would want to play (i.e. Compulsive Research, which is really, really good, btw).
So let's play out a scenario. In both scenarios, you have 2 fetches, RW and BW, and you need UU for a T3 play in a bant deck. You have no turn 1 or turn 2 play. This is literally the perfect scenario for your manabase, btw. 2 fetches is somewhat unlikely, but both of them being in a single color which isn't the color you need, and you need two of that color, is all very unlikely. So I'm being insanely charitable here.

In scenario 1, you have an etbt dual, a shock, a bicycle, a tango, a triome, and an ABU dual. Turn 1 you fetch the triome because it keeps you most flexible. T2 you fetch the etbt dual because it's the worst draw later. Now your lands you could draw are a tango, a shock, a bicycle, and an abu dual. The abu dual is obviously good, the shock is good, the bicycle is okay if you want cycling and bad if you want a land, and the tango is just bad.

In scenario 2. you have a triome, and abu dual, a BBD, a filter, a painland, and a checkland. Turn 1 you fetch the triome, just the same. T2 you fetch the abu dual even though you can't use the mana this turn. Now, the lands you could draw are a BBD - good, a pathway - good, a painland - good, and a checkland - good. Any of these will enter untapped and provide mana of either color immediately when drawn, exactly what you want from your land. And any other fetch you could possibly draw will be able to hit your other two abu duals, so drawing a fetch isn't a problem either.

So even in this situation that's a very good scenario for the first manabase, I'd still rather have the second manabase.

Now lets play out some different, less charitable but more realistic scenarios. Instead you draw that crappy tapped land when you really need an untapped one. Or a tango early when you don't have any basics. Or a bicycle early when you don't want to cycle land and you want untapped mana. In these scenarios the second manabase is WAY better. The worst case is drawing the checkland without another typed land, but that's no worse than drawing the tapped dual and significantly less likely since multiple things have to go "wrong". Of course if you dislike checklands you could run a shock or a filter or another basic, or whatever you like. (Shocks are probably best but it muddied the example a bit so I left them out of the second manabase. I also think you can make an argument for bicycles if you want to run them, and I do in some decks, but again it muddies the water of the argument. I'm primarily focusing on the etbt dual and the tango and how those lands are bad and not worth running for fetch targets outside strange budget situations where you don't have a shock and a triome)

As far as what to do with crappy lands you've drawn, obviously many decks don't have many ways to get value from discarding, and many that do won't always have it, or would rather have a playable land instead of discard fodder. But more importantly. you can also discard good lands instead. They discard just as well as the crappy ones.

No offense, but the way you talk about how all your decks have land recursion and all your decks have discard outlets kinda makes it seem like all your decks are the same. There are a ton of different things you can do in this game. Most decks do not do those things. Outside of your mind, those things are not ubiquitous.

To me, it seems like it feels better to you to fetch a tapped land when you don't need the mana, rather than an untapped land that's "wasted". And it feels better to discard a crappy land rather than sometimes discard a good land, because it's not "wasting" a good card. But that's just not a good way to think about card quality. When there's no downside to the "waste", then there's no reason to worry about preventing it. You can have a manabase that gives you good fetch targets AND good draws, with very minimal compromise.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

rogerandover

Post by rogerandover » 1 year ago

The tap-dauls are obviously good in decks that care for both land-types. W/B with Emeria, the Sky Ruin and Cabal Coffers, yeah then I want as many duals as possible. Besides that, then I'm with Dirk, there's simple to many better options.

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 1 year ago

To me the 'tango' lands are the bad etb tapped duals. Sometimes they are untapped.
And let's remember that 3Drinks is jamming snow duals into every deck to support Arcum's Astrolabe. So why do you need even more lands coming into play tapped?
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

3drinks

Tuesday, January 3rd, 2023; Rootpath Purifier

This ought to make for a good discussion. Lands you control have "protection from Wasteland" is a pretty good text to me. To say nothing of the ability to Rampant Growth|mir for strip mine|atq.

wildfire393

Post by wildfire393 » 1 year ago

3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
Tuesday, January 3rd, 2023; Rootpath Purifier

This ought to make for a good discussion. Lands you control have "protection from Wasteland" is a pretty good text to me. To say nothing of the ability to Rampant Growth|mir for strip mine|atq.
I'm trying this card out in my Meld-Titania deck. I haven't had an opportunity to make great use of it yet, but it feels like it's on the blade's edge of broken. The deck makes great use of nonbasic lands, and being able to tutor them with stuff like Fabled Passage and Prismatic Vista, among other things, seems pretty wild. Springbloom Druid or Sporocyst with X>=2 into Field of the Dead + Gaea's Cradle is just disgusting and is the exact kind of value play the deck wants to make.

Being immune to Wasteland (and similar effects like Demolition Field ) is fine, but immunity to stuff like Back to Basics, Blood Moon, and Ruination seems like where it's really at. If you're feeling really evil, combine Purifier with Primal Order.

3drinks

DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
Even if you're consistently fetching every turn, past a certain point you can just hit basics instead without having much detrimental effect on your colors available. But of course you won't always have access to crucible, or even access to a fetch, though ofc with 9 copies you are fairly likely to have at least 1. You're not going to BS me with this "I always fetch every turn" nonsense. There are 9 fetches available to a 3c deck. That means you'll average 1 fetch in the first couple turns. Mathematically "fetching every turn" is not going to happen, stop hyperbolizing.
Uhm, actually.

There's eleven fetches, not nine. Prismatic Vista|h1r and Fabled Passage|pw21 are cards too, which brings your fetches up to 11% of your deck. Thawing Glaciers|g10 brings that up to 12% of the deck, and Ash Barrens|brc gives us 13%. Higher if you're on a partner deck. Coupled with "rebuying" fetches it's not unreasonable to expect to fetch whenever you want to make a land play. Math, the more you know :foil:
DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
Nothing you can do will ensure perfect mana every game*. Everything is a balancing act. Running more fetch targets improves the quality of your fetches, sure, but running bad duals weakens your other land slots. The goal is to find the middle ground where you aren't sacrificing too much of either. For a normal deck that's not hard-committing to a land recursion engine, it's usually as simple as triome + shocks/abus + a few basics. Sans recursion it's very unlikely for that to negatively impact the value of your fetches, and those lands are generally good draws as well. Beyond that, I think I'd rather have non-typed basics since I don't think it makes any real difference to my fetches and they are much better draws.
You're right, you can't ensure anything with 100% accuracy. That's why you take steps to get as close to 100% as possible.

Your scenarios are ridiculous strawman arguments heavily slanted in favour of your own contrarian view, so I'm not going to bother replying to them.

PrimevalCommander

Post by PrimevalCommander » 1 year ago

Rootpath Purifier

My first feeling when I saw this card was: "This is an awesome broken land enabler for tutoring powerful lands".
Then the high faded and I figured I could just play good non-basic land tutors directly instead of needing this enabler card plus another card to do anything fun. It is a deck slot that needs other cards to do anything. But the ease of getting value out of this may be higher than I initially thought. It doesn't tutor lands directly, it doesn't ramp or really do anything without help. However with even a minimal amount of land synergies in your deck, it can become a tutor powerhouse that pulls non-basics from library with incredible ease. (edit to finish the sentence that sounded weird before)

Question: Can I use Prismatic Vista to tutor Fabled Passage to tutor Terramorphic Expanse to tutor Evolving Wilds (into play tapped) to chain 4 fetches together for 7 landfall triggers off one land drop? I know that chain only happens once, but jeeze that is a lot of value if you have Prismatic or Fabled Passage in hand, or tutor it up with something else. Having Evolving Wilds find Deserted Temple is hilarious since it is trivial for Titania, Protector of Argoth to repeatedly fetch for so many good lands this way.
Last edited by PrimevalCommander 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 1 year ago

3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
Uhm, actually.

There's eleven fetches, not nine. Prismatic Vista|h1r and Fabled Passage|pw21 are cards too, which brings your fetches up to 11% of your deck. Thawing Glaciers|g10 brings that up to 12% of the deck, and Ash Barrens|brc gives us 13%. Higher if you're on a partner deck. Coupled with "rebuying" fetches it's not unreasonable to expect to fetch whenever you want to make a land play. Math, the more you know :foil:
DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
You're right, you can't ensure anything with 100% accuracy. That's why you take steps to get as close to 100% as possible.

Your scenarios are ridiculous strawman arguments heavily slanted in favour of your own contrarian view, so I'm not going to bother replying to them.
I don't have much of a dog in this fight (the common duals are a smidgen better than Dirk is saying but I stand by my assessment that unless you are in G/x or are super hard on fetch recursion in a probably G/x deck with loam engines) these are clearly worse than any other fetchable dual and likely worse than Temples or Path of Ancestry or the checklands in non-G/x decks even if you have multiple fetches. But I'd point out that none of the lands you mentioned can fetch duals since they all say "basic". To Dirks point I have managed to get lucky with Sun Titan and Sevinne's Reclamation looping fetches a ton in Quintorius, Field Historian...but the deck isn't greedy enough on mana for it to matter once I've found Foundry + Plateau (I am lucky enough for that to be one of my two ABU duals).

----------------------
For today's Rootpath Purifier (who keeps the conversation alive imo), I agree with @PrimevalCommander. This card read as "busted" on first read and it's one to keep an eye on for sure, but - if you need to find specific lands we have a lot of options in green these days with Crop Rotation, Sylvan Scrying, Expedition Map, Scapeshift, Ulvenwald Hydra, Hour of Promise, Elvish Reclaimer, Reap and Sow, Tempt with Discovery, and Reshape the Earth (listed in roughly the order of power level). That's a lot of options for assembling whatever land-based nonsense you need. This is a ton of set-up to upgrade your Rampant Growths, and it's fragile to boot.

It does enable you to do exactly what you said though - Prismatic Vista finds fetchlands that find fetchlands that find... all the way down to trigger landfall a ton. That's funny and probably the best use of this card.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

Rootpath Purifier

Screw this card and the horse it rode in on.

DirkGently

I haven't played with or against Rootpath Purifier, but I think it's likely massively overhyped. "immunity to wasteland" is such an insanely niche counter that it barely merits mentioning, and nobody plays Ruination. Could someone play this WITH ruination? Sure, but (1) they were already breaking nearly every social contract with or without purifier and (2) if they don't draw purifier, or it gets killed in response, they've just owned themself. If you really want to play ruination, you're going to play all-basics or nearly so, to ensure it works as reliably as possible, and you're going to run BM and MotM too, most likely.

So on the other side, being able to fetch nonbasics is sweet, but I really don't see it as a huge problem when it's part of a combination of cards. If you really want, for example, urborg + coffers, you can just play Hour of Promise for 1 more mana and then it's a 1-card-combo instead of a 2-card combo. So idk where the point is where fetching nonbasics via this is more efficient than running nonbasic land ramp on its own.

The combo with basic fetches hitting each other is interesting, though. If there were more that entered untapped it'd be a lot more interesting. But once you need this + something to recur them + a specific fetch, it becomes a hell of a lot less compelling since it's just another multi-card combo, and one that needs an additional card before it actually does something. Not exactly scary or new.
3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
Uhm, actually.

As has been pointed out already, those other fetches hit basics only, which makes them irrelevant to the discussion of dual-typed nonbasics. There's also evolving wilds, terrmorphic, SNC fetches, panoramas...all of them also irrelevant. The only other relevant ones are the etbt fetches from mirage, but people rarely play those because, well, etbt is really rough for most decks.

And before you say anything about today's rcotd making nonbasics hittable, purifier lets you pick literally anything so then you can fetch an untapped BBD instead of a tapped dual :P
No, see, that's wrong. If your goal was to get as close to 100% as possible, you'd have to play a 99 land deck, or 80 land with fixing ramp, or something. Having well-fixed mana itself must be balanced against your deck doing all the other things it needs to do. That includes, crucially, having mana that's not only in the correct colors but also available on the turn you want it, which is why running etbt lands can be risky. Not to say that all etbt are bad of course, but they have to be weighed against the value they provide. Personally I'm partial to the karoo lands because they functionally give you an additional card in exchange for etbt. The etbt typed duals, though, offer very little value relative to other nontyped duals.

Deckbuilding is a holistic process. Every card dedicated to something comes at the expense of other things. Focusing so heavily on one aspect of the deck - i.e. making your fetches as good as possible - comes at the expense of making your land draws worse. Oversimplifying your understanding of your deck will be to its detriment.
Okay, then you create a scenario where running an etbt dual is better than running a better untyped dual (i.e. a BBD). Let's see how absurdly magical Christmasland this gets. And ofc keep in mind that literally every other dual-typed land is superior and would be run first.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Mookie
Answers: 48
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 1 year ago

Rootpath Purifier is sweet, but I don't think it's actually a particularly powerful card. Most nonbasic-fetchers are only one or two more mana than their basic-fetching counterparts - compare Sylvan Scrying vs Lay of the Land, Finale of Promise vs Explosive Vegetation, Expedition Map vs Traveler's Amulet, etc. It's certainly nice to upgrade your fetching abilities, but if it's so important for you to fetch fancy nonbasics, you can just run more flexible ramp spells in the first place.

Protecting against Wasteland / Back to Basics / Blood Moon / etc is more impactful, but those are more of a meta call... and you can deal with most of them using Reclamation Sage or whatever anyway.

Overall, my opinion of Rootpath Purifier is that it's generally unnecessary. You shouldn't run cards to make already-good cards better. Cultivate and Rampant Growth are already perfectly playable without it, while Rootpath Purifier looks significantly worse when you run out of ramp spells. There certainly are some niche use cases and cool things it can enable, but I don't think there are many decks that actually require its inclusion.

...I suppose though that one valid use case is in landfall decks - chaining fetches into one another can give a ton of triggers (i.e. Prismatic VistaFabled PassageTerramorphic ExpanseEvolving Wilds → whatever), particularly if you have a way to untap any that enter tapped.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”