Unreleased and New Card Discussion

Serenade
UnderKing
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Serenade » 2 years ago

Reprints of stuff from specialty sets is nice. Battlebond duals, Bramble Sovereign, Kindred Discovery, Traverse the Outlands. Good stuff.

Another addition to the Fleshbag gang with Chain Devil? Big fan.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 2 years ago

Card I'm most excited about from today's spoiler has to be Wyrm's Crossing Patrol. Doesn't do squat on its own, but if you have a way to give it extra abilities, or care about creatures etbing/dying/sacrificing/etc it's insanely efficient. I love little unassuming commons like that.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

5colorsrainbow
Answers: 1

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 2 years ago

Repeating myself a bit I do remember that Gavin said that the first commander legends took quite a bit of time to make and this set seemed to be made pretty fast so I'm guessing they decided to play a little bit more safe in terms of power level. That said I wanted more adventures and Gorion being what Chulane should have been means I can get an actual adventure deck going.
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 2 years ago

I love that they're dialing back the powerlevel. This is the first direct-to-eternal booster set that hasn't printed something I dread. If it's not for you, well, they're printing a tonne of sets. Personally, I see some real solid commons and uncommons that I'd love to pick up. Don't you prefer this to fighting over $50 rares or watching the speed of this format ratchet another tooth down?

Dragoon
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Dragoon » 2 years ago

As an owner of a dragons tribal deck and a randomness themed deck, this set is by far the best one for me out of the sets released in the last few years.

Those dragons will be added to my dragons pile for Ur-Dragon:
That's even more than what Dragons of Tarkir had in stock for this deck!

For my random deck, I am considering testing the following cards:
For other decks, Battle Angels of Tyr will probably go into my future Giada, Font of Hope, and Elder Brain, Wand of Wonder, Tasha, the Witch Queen and Nautiloid Ship will probably go into Evelyn, the Covetous.

There's also a number of commons and uncommons that look useful for all sorts of decks, including some intriguing new white options such as Cut a Deal, Scouting Hawk and Your Temple is Under Attack.

WWolfe

Post by WWolfe » 2 years ago

kirkusjones wrote:
2 years ago
Pretty much everything I picked up were commons and uncommons. I think Cultist of the Absolute was the only thing I bought that was more than 50 cents. I can get behind more sets like this.
I pre-ordered 4 cards so far and it cost me more in shipping (3.99) than it did for the cards (1.74).

benjameenbear

Post by benjameenbear » 2 years ago

Can anyone tell me why Unwinding Clock is now a $30 card? I went to go and try and order it and was taken aback at how ridiculous the price has gotten.

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 2 years ago

benjameenbear wrote:
2 years ago
Can anyone tell me why Unwinding Clock is now a $30 card? I went to go and try and order it and was taken aback at how ridiculous the price has gotten.
People increasingly want to play reactively, and this is one of the few nongreen cards that lets people do that without being choked on mana. Direly needs a reprint though.

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 2 years ago

relatedly, is it Cadira, Caller of the Small pushing Citanul Hierophants so high? or Elminster, or the white metal dragon, or something?

I really love this set hee I'm gonna buy a box after not buying anything except the Chishiro deck for ages

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 2 years ago

Igzex

Post by Igzex » 2 years ago

Dragoon wrote:
2 years ago
As an owner of a dragons tribal deck and a randomness themed deck, this set is by far the best one for me out of the sets released in the last few years.

Those dragons will be added to my dragons pile for Ur-Dragon:
That's even more than what Dragons of Tarkir had in stock for this deck!
Making room for all of them is probably gonna be a job :P

Heck, I'm preparing a list for Miirym and it's like, gah all these options my head. All I know right now is both Sakashimas have to be in because my god that's gonna lead to some really funny nonsense that will far outweigh the cringe of nobody at the table ever saying his name right.

Dragoon

Igzex wrote:
2 years ago
Making room for all of them is probably gonna be a job :P
Nah, they just all go into my pile and I use a Python script to generate a semi-random list of 25 dragons that I actually put in the deck. No more cuts, more variety and more brainpower for the rest! I just need to generate a new list every month or so.
Igzex wrote:
2 years ago
Heck, I'm preparing a list for Miirym and it's like, gah all these options my head. All I know right now is both Sakashimas have to be in because my god that's gonna lead to some really funny nonsense that will far outweigh the cringe of nobody at the table ever saying his name right.
Don't forget Spark Double!

Igzex

Post by Igzex » 2 years ago

Dragoon wrote:
2 years ago
Don't forget Spark Double!
Oh no yet another option. I'm gonna go into seizures trying to get this all down to a working 100 card deck...

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Post by kirkusjones » 2 years ago

Unofficial Spoiler Discussion
Black Market Connections
Enchantment
At the beginning of your
phase, choose one or more
Sell Contraband -
- Create a treasure token.
You lose 1 life.
• Buy Information - Draw a card. You lose
2 life.
• Hire a Mercenary
Create a 3/2 colorless
Shapeshifter creature token with changeling
You lose 3 life.
Looks like the UB deck gets the chase card…
Last edited by kirkusjones 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 2 years ago

CLB is adequate. The power level is on point, there's nothing groan-worthy in here. Archivist of Oghma is probably the strongest card in the set, I got a couple test games with it in my group and it felt like the real deal. And we're not even the strongest group - this was just Kodama's Reaches and stuff like that. Now imagine a proper set of fetches, more tutors, and the Archivist will almost certainly do something. Wild Magic Surge is the next best thing in here, and that's already somewhat conditional and divisive. That's not to say other decks can't have includes. My Rakdos partners will love Agent of the Iron Throne.
"Image"

In SNC I could understand wanting to keep stuff out of the main set as standard and whatnot. But why in tarnation is this in a precon accompanying an EDH-only set?! I'm picking up some weird pushed vibes from this product line lately, do we really want consciously designed Docksides shoved into a single deck and promptly forgotten?

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Post by kirkusjones » 2 years ago

Forget Pact Weapon, Black Market Connections is everything I want and more for Vilis. @Rumpy5897, the precons have always had some sort of pushed card, whether it was Scavenging Ooze from the original set, Dockside Extortionist, or more recently Smuggler's Share. I wish they would make a dial it back from one 100% pushed card in a single precon to one 75% pushed card in each to make it more balanced, though.

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

The SNC precons put cards in most of my decks, going far above the expected rate of includes from an average set. I was wary, but wrote it off as a fluke - maybe the themes just aligned super well with my decks or something. But we're now on the second set in a row where the precon cards read weirdly strong. Check some of this other stuff out:

"Image" "Image"

Once again, these are accompanying an EDH-only set. Why is this so much stronger on average than that set proper?

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

DirkGently

those don't look that great to me tbh. Grell philosopher seems incredibly niche and requires specific enemy plays to do much of anything. Quasit is more versatile but not remotely overpowered imo. Plenty of cards goad things more easily. Not a bad card but not amazing. connections is definitely the strongest so far, but it's basically just a phyrexian arena with more life loss and more flexibility. Good if you're doing treasure or tribal but otherwise it just seems like a decent role-player.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Sorry, linked the wrong blue three drop:

"Image"

I'm not saying these are format warping. But it is just strange how decent these are, just like all the SNC deck includes. An unusually high proportion of those lately. And this is all the more glaring when these are absent from the main set, which is far more restrained.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

DirkGently

Rumpy5897 wrote:
2 years ago

"Image"

I'm not saying these are format warping. But it is just strange how decent these are, just like all the SNC deck includes. An unusually high proportion of those lately. And this is all the more glaring when these are absent from the main set, which is far more restrained.
Interesting comparison to that faerie that makes copies of stuff your opponents play. The ward is nice, but the free bodies can be a pretty big deal. Idk, I'm not a huge fan of a card that requires your opponent be doing something specific, even if ETBs are pretty common. Fun card, but I don't think it's particularly strong.

I did misread the black card, though, I thought it was just choose 1. That card does seem pretty damn strong, then. I dunno about the 3/2 but the other two modes are almost always worth it.

That said, I mean there are some pretty powerful stuff in the main set too imo.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Dragoon

Black Market Connections seems pretty potent. I wonder if I should replace Painful Truths or Sylvan Library for it in my Ur-Dragon.

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 1 year ago

What would you call these cards that get a boost off specific strategies? They aren't hosers since they don't hinder anything. They allow you to play catch up or otherwise get a boost again a targeted gameplan (blink, lands). Just seems like the precons are a peculiar place to put them.

5colorsrainbow
Answers: 1

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 1 year ago

Rumpy5897 wrote:
2 years ago

"Image"

The base set is meant to be drafted so it has to be balanced around that vs precon deck which aren't drafted.

Edit: Tlincallis Hunter is great for adventures, loved getting more of adventures but glad to see support for them as well.

Deep Gnome Terramancer looks really powerful looks like those wanting a white card that got any plains got your wish.
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

DirkGently

Post by DirkGently » 1 year ago

people always think cards that trigger off enemy land ramp are going to be great, but then they really aren't that exciting since they're too frequently dead.

That said, terramancer does trigger off fetch lands so who knows.[/lands]
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”