Serenade
UnderKing
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Serenade » 2 years ago

GuJiaXian wrote:
2 years ago
Serenade wrote:
2 years ago
I'm obsessed with Livaan, Cultist of Tiamat. Not sure what background to pair with her, but an ability based on casting noncreature spells...always feels strong. Maybe I am just bored of Kykar. Maybe this is the UR artifact deck I want? Perhaps a lot of ramp spells? No way I do another enchantress deck...
Would she work well with Feather, the Redeemed?
Oh, probably. I'm not sure what that deck runs, but at the very least, Livaan would eat a Fleshbag trigger instead of Feather.

I do like our new Sword Coast Sailor for Livaan. That might be it!
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 2 years ago

wondering about Dynaheir, Invoker Adept with Zirda, the Dawnwaker... seems like a gnaturally good pairing and Dyna's blue splash gives you the sickest possible Azorius Guildmage. also Dyna's copying ability doesn't say nonland, or creature only, or whatever; it can double Karn's Bastion or Inventor's Fair or various Campuses, etc, as well as the Lithoform Engine craziness people might already be drooling over

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Venedrex » 2 years ago

I'm extremely excited about the new Simic Suspend matters general. Suspend is one of my favorite old mechanics, and I didn't want to just build Jhoira of the Ghitu because the play pattern of play my commander, suspend Obliterate doesn't really appeal to me. Just having fun with time in a hopefully less oppressive way seems like a lot of fun.
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 2 years ago

Just feels like too much to track.

(Overall I am sick of tokens and counters.)
Last edited by Serenade 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

RedCheese

Post by RedCheese » 2 years ago

Venedrex wrote:
2 years ago
I'm extremely excited about the new Simic Suspend matters general. Suspend is one of my favorite old mechanics, and I didn't want to just build Jhoira of the Ghitu because the play pattern of play my commander, suspend Obliterate doesn't really appeal to me. Just having fun with time in a hopefully less oppressive way seems like a lot of fun.
From the comments about it, aparantly it isn't exactly suspend since the time counters wont remove itself during upkeep because they dont have the keyword suspend. Meaning that the only way to remove the time counters is to keep using Alando's ability

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?

Post by Venedrex » 2 years ago

RedCheese wrote:
2 years ago
Venedrex wrote:
2 years ago
From the comments about it, aparantly it isn't exactly suspend since the time counters wont remove itself during upkeep because they dont have the keyword suspend. Meaning that the only way to remove the time counters is to keep using Alando's ability
Oh yeah, for sure. I just like the idea of messing with time, even if the strategy isn't that strong. I like simic commanders that are on the weaker side, like Gor Muldrak, Amphinologist. Every time I see a Simic commander that isn't just absurdly strong it makes me happy. Not being able to Clockspinning is a little sad, but you can still Aeon Chronicler.
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 2 years ago

Yeah, Alaundo the Seer not giving the exiled cards suspend is definitely going to cause some confusion. Still, seems amusing if you're playing it fairly - you can use Alaundo to cheat out massive nonsense, but waiting 8+ turns gives you a very long time with a massive target on your head, so you may just use them to provide a moderate tempo boost with cheaper spells. I like cards that give choices - you can be greedy and not-suspend something big with the downside of possibly never casting it, or you can get something you'll get quickly.

....or Alaundo could just devolve into a Seedborn Muse pile running a bunch of extra turns and untap effects such that a single activation is enough to win the game by itself, making him into yet another kill-on-sight Simic commander. But I would be shocked, shocked! if that were to happen.

GuJiaXian

Post by GuJiaXian » 2 years ago

A question about a few of the new initiative cards—for example, Imoen, Mystic Trickster and Safana, Calimport Cutthroat. Do you get the secondary "if you've completed a dungeon" trigger if you don't have the initiative? For example, If I have Imoen out and have completed a dungeon but don't have the initiative, do I get to draw a card? Or because of the "instead" clause do I only draw that card if I also qualify for the "have the initiative" trigger?

I apologize if I'm not explaining this clearly. Essentially I'm wondering if these two cards are useful in a dungeons deck (e.g., Sefris of the Hidden Ways) even if I don't have the initiative.

WizardMN
Answers: 128

Post by WizardMN » 2 years ago

GuJiaXian wrote:
2 years ago
A question about a few of the new initiative cards—for example, Imoen, Mystic Trickster and Safana, Calimport Cutthroat. Do you get the secondary "if you've completed a dungeon" trigger if you don't have the initiative? For example, If I have Imoen out and have completed a dungeon but don't have the initiative, do I get to draw a card? Or because of the "instead" clause do I only draw that card if I also qualify for the "have the initiative" trigger?

I apologize if I'm not explaining this clearly. Essentially I'm wondering if these two cards are useful in a dungeons deck (e.g., Sefris of the Hidden Ways) even if I don't have the initiative.
You need Initiative for them to even trigger (and still need it on resolution for them to resolve). No Initiative: no trigger/effects.

GuJiaXian

Post by GuJiaXian » 2 years ago

WizardMN wrote:
2 years ago
GuJiaXian wrote:
2 years ago

You need Initiative for them to even trigger (and still need it on resolution for them to resolve). No Initiative: no trigger/effects.
That's what I was afraid of. Thanks.

Wallycaine

Post by Wallycaine » 2 years ago

Mookie wrote:
2 years ago
Yeah, Alaundo the Seer not giving the exiled cards suspend is definitely going to cause some confusion. Still, seems amusing if you're playing it fairly - you can use Alaundo to cheat out massive nonsense, but waiting 8+ turns gives you a very long time with a massive target on your head, so you may just use them to provide a moderate tempo boost with cheaper spells. I like cards that give choices - you can be greedy and not-suspend something big with the downside of possibly never casting it, or you can get something you'll get quickly.

....or Alaundo could just devolve into a Seedborn Muse pile running a bunch of extra turns and untap effects such that a single activation is enough to win the game by itself, making him into yet another kill-on-sight Simic commander. But I would be shocked, shocked! if that were to happen.
One thing worth noting is that he works well with cards that *already* have suspend, since they'll still remove counters on the upkeep and when he activates the ability. Could be particularly spicy with Aeon Chronicler, since that'll get you 5 cards fairly quickly for "free".

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 2 years ago

Name and number crunch have ruled out Dockside Extortionist for a reprint. I'm hoping we see the Fierce Guardianship cycle since that isn't crunched out yet I don't think. Reprint equity feels a bit low so far.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 2 years ago

Scion of Halaster and Erinis, Gloom Stalker seems like it could be a pretty deece combination.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Post by kirkusjones » 2 years ago

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
2 years ago
Scion of Halaster and Erinis, Gloom Stalker seems like it could be a pretty deece combination.
A funky little Loam engine. I dig it. I've been thinking about splitting Tasigur good stuff into Oskar reanimator and Titania lands, but this may be a more fun combo, plus I get to run Gitrog…

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 2 years ago

Raggadragga. Goreguts Boss fascinates me and I might dismantle my Samut, Voice of Dissent "Fires of Yavimaya" deck for him to take the helm instead. Losing a mass-haste in the Command Zone is a shame, but he synergizes with the rest of that deck's gameplan in a very intriguing way. If he doesn't take the helm he's at least jumping into the '99 since that deck runs like 15 mana dorks currently.

EDIT: Oghma's Archivist is here to be the best new card so far. It's no Opposition Agent or Hullbreacher since they still get their cards, but the more competitive your circle is the better it gets and you can force the issue with Path to Exile and Ghost Quarter. Seems sick!

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 2 years ago

Yeah, Oghma's Archivist looks quite solid, and probably the most generically useful card revealed so far. Pretty toned down compared to Opposition Agent, but still very good... and because it's so toned down, it's actually plausible that you will get multiple triggers off it, which is nice.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 2 years ago

@Hawk note that both those effects are "may" so you can't force it per se. Ofc they'd probably be crazy not to take it, unless it's down to lategame 1v1 or something.

Personally I'd say it's a lot better than opposition agent since agent is basically a 1-shot value and then "opponents can't search libraries". If you want to lock them down then agent is better, but if you just want your own value then oghma's is where it's at. Plus it's a mana cheaper. Really good card.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Wallycaine

Post by Wallycaine » 2 years ago

DirkGently wrote:
2 years ago
@Hawk note that both those effects are "may" so you can't force it per se. Ofc they'd probably be crazy not to take it, unless it's down to lategame 1v1 or something.

Personally I'd say it's a lot better than opposition agent since agent is basically a 1-shot value and then "opponents can't search libraries". If you want to lock them down then agent is better, but if you just want your own value then oghma's is where it's at. Plus it's a mana cheaper. Really good card.
Amusingly enough, the humble Fertilid *doesn't* have a may on it, so you can turn it into a weird divination once you've drawn enough. Presumably never your primary play, but an amusing option.

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 2 years ago

Hawk wrote:
2 years ago
Name and number crunch have ruled out Dockside Extortionist for a reprint. I'm hoping we see the Fierce Guardianship cycle since that isn't crunched out yet I don't think. Reprint equity feels a bit low so far.
A friend of mine said he saw on youtube that WOTC has focused on legenda this week, so meaty reprints may come?

Dragonlover

Post by Dragonlover » 2 years ago

Been a bit bummed out by the amount of non-red dragon tribal support, but Ganax, Star Hunter is gonna be very spicy in my Lathliss deck.

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

NZB2323

Post by NZB2323 » 2 years ago

Hawk wrote:
2 years ago
Raggadragga. Goreguts Boss fascinates me and I might dismantle my Samut, Voice of Dissent "Fires of Yavimaya" deck for him to take the helm instead. Losing a mass-haste in the Command Zone is a shame, but he synergizes with the rest of that deck's gameplan in a very intriguing way. If he doesn't take the helm he's at least jumping into the '99 since that deck runs like 15 mana dorks currently.

EDIT: Oghma's Archivist is here to be the best new card so far. It's no Opposition Agent or Hullbreacher since they still get their cards, but the more competitive your circle is the better it gets and you can force the issue with Path to Exile and Ghost Quarter. Seems sick!
Oghma's Archivist pairs the best with Winds of Abandon. Both of those cards are going into my cleric tribal deck, and I like Agent of the Shadow Thieves over Cultist of the Absolute. I don't have to sacrifice with Agent of Shadow Thieves and it makes it easy to swing in with Tymna.
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

pokken

Post by pokken » 2 years ago

The combo of archivist plus winds is gonna close games hard. I like that.

Cyberium

Post by Cyberium » 2 years ago

I much prefer Oghma's Archivist to be WW, really. A small change, but would at least be "slightly" discouraging for 3+ color decks to run it.

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 2 years ago

just a slight inkling but mmm
all the black Background commanders wanna be paired with green backgrounds
all the green Background commanders wanna be paired with black backgrounds
lol
afr: the rock and his millions

Igzex

Post by Igzex » 2 years ago

If only Kolressa had Choose a Background...

Anyways man it has gotten a LOT harder to choose 100 cards for my Ur-Dragon and we're still not even done yet...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”