Unreleased and New Card Discussion

pokken
Answers: 2
Pronoun: he / him

Post by pokken » 2 years ago

kirkusjones wrote:
2 years ago
Add redundancy with Edric and Toski and evasion via Tetsuko Umezawa, Fugitive and just bury your opponents with card advantage and extra turn stuff?
yeah it does feel mainly like an edricky deck I guess :) Maybe too obvious.

Having access to white removal and weenies seems like it'd be really good there though.
Serenade wrote:
2 years ago
You draw one card for each player and planeswalker you attacked, correct?
That is my reading

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 2 years ago

Excellent, yep, Edric without giving your opponents a bonus. Or just UW flyers.dec.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by kirkusjones » 2 years ago

pokken wrote:
2 years ago
kirkusjones wrote:
2 years ago
Add redundancy with Edric and Toski and evasion via Tetsuko Umezawa, Fugitive and just bury your opponents with card advantage and extra turn stuff?
yeah it does feel mainly like an edricky deck I guess :) Maybe too obvious.

Having access to white removal and weenies seems like it'd be really good there though.
Serenade wrote:
2 years ago
You draw one card for each player and planeswalker you attacked, correct?
That is my reading
White definitely brings a lot to the table. You could run Enduring Renewal, Abiding Grace…How many 1/1 doublestrikers are there?

Outcryqq

Post by Outcryqq » 2 years ago

I'm not looking forward to seeing even more Craterhoof Behemoth, now tutorable with your commander (Rocco, Cabaretti Caterer). Yawntastic linear strategy, bleh.

Edit: and let's not forget the excitement of seeing more tutored-from-the-command-zone Purphoros, God of the Forge too! /s

pokken

Serenade wrote:
2 years ago
Excellent, yep, Edric without giving your opponents a bonus. Or just UW flyers.dec.
It has some narrowness vs. edric in that you are reliant on much more narrow pump effects to get lethal, like it has to have flash or instant activation. Or just...taking infinite turns I guess.

I think the part that appeals the most to me is that intersection of Breena and Edric, without the symmetry. Which is that you don't need to overcommit to the board like Edric (because you have to race other people using it).

Breena is nice in that she works great with growing creatures and small boards of 2-3 creatures, which intersects with this, but has problems in that she provides symmetric draw to others (that does help you, but often is problematic).

This feels like it could be a really nice balance if just playing a few small bodies and riding them to victory with a tidal wave of card advantage, but I need to think more about the design. It feels like a couple good angles exist -- enchantments that make tokens, repeated weenie reanimation, etc.

the biggest problem really is thinking about shortening the clock -- there aren't that many effects that are friendly to getting your attacks, but I guess you could just Craterhoof Behemoth and keep it simple. I dunno.

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 2 years ago

BeneTleilax wrote:
2 years ago
I was hoping for allied color legends in either the set or the commander decks, but that's looking increasingly unlikely. That said, I love a set with powerful low rarities. Jewel Thief is almost too good, hopefully the limited is alright.
Jolene, the Plunder Queen says you were seen, heard, and respected! Looks like the Commander decks will have an allied color legend in them.

And Jolene seems okay; she's a sorta Curse of Opulence + Xorn in the command zone with an outlet for those treasures if you can't find use for them otherwise. I'd been leaning towards Kalain, Reclusive Painter treasures but this might change my mind.

pokken

Hmm Structural Assault is pretty good. Nice red sweeper that you can probably dodge. Lots of interesting side effect fun like using Boros Reckoner effects.

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 2 years ago

Some more new stuff as we enter the final stretch...
  • Structural Assault is Shatterstorm + Chain Reaction. Very much a 'rocks fall, everything dies' sort of card (assuming sufficient artifacts).
  • Meeting of the Five is a janky variant on Apex of Power. Only hitting 3C cards is a pretty big limitation though.
  • Sanctuary Warden looks very strong in counter / flicker-based decks. It's also quite difficult to kill. On the topic of white card draw... this actually feels a little too unconditional for me. Hmmmm.... I'm not going to complain too much about WotC throwing things at the wall and seeing what sticks, but 'when this attacks, draw a card' feels blue to me, not white, even if it does have the counter-removing rider on it.
  • Even the Score is interesting. It's not particularly common for an opponent to draw 4+ cards, but getting a 3-mana discount is quite nice when it comes up, particularly given that it is a colored mana discount (which means I could cast it entirely off Mizzix's discount).
  • Tenacious Underdog is very interesting. Not quite as efficient as Reassembling Skeleton or other recursive creatures (especially since the life cost can add up), but drawing a card when you blitz it is pretty big, and makes it an interesting draw engine in the lategame.
  • Rigo, Streetwise Mentor is a hard-to-kill Edric, Spymaster of Trest effect. Seems strong.
  • Endless Detour is crazy flexible. Memory Lapse // Noxious Revival // Griptide is a lot of options. Not a permanent solution, given that its owner can just cast the problem card again next turn, but a very strong tempo play. Recurring your own stuff can also be relevant at times.
As for the commander stuff... Bennie Bracks, Zoologist looks life a very strong draw engine for token decks. Looks like we may also be getting a new cycle of confluences?

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 2 years ago

I think this is a leak?
Unofficial Spoiler Discussion
the beamtown bullies looks absolutely absurd to me. I'm conflicted because the effect is really cool and interesting, but honestly they've gotta be kill-on-sight thanks to cards like Leveler, Eater of Days, and Inverter of Truth. At least you can't do Phage the Untouchable?
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

DirkGently wrote:
2 years ago
I think this is a leak?
Unofficial Spoiler Discussion
the beamtown bullies looks absolutely absurd to me. I'm conflicted because the effect is really cool and interesting, but honestly they've gotta be kill-on-sight thanks to cards like Leveler, Eater of Days, and Inverter of Truth. At least you can't do Phage the Untouchable?
It is. People were kicking around the critters you mentioned as legacy combo potential. It's going into my Jund Fightin' For Profit deck, but unsure if it'll be maindeck or in the pile of random shuffle ins.

Mookie

TheGildedGoose wrote:
2 years ago
Protection Racket is terrible and I would never put it in my deck.

Unless...?
Demonlord Belzenlok says hi.

kraus911

Post by kraus911 » 2 years ago

Lagrella, the Magpie
What? I've read this card a dozen times and I don't quite get it. Seems too powerful for WUB, but it seems like an O-Ring for as many creatures as you want, basically a wipe for all token creatures. Is that right?

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?

Post by Venedrex » 2 years ago

kraus911 wrote:
2 years ago
Lagrella, the Magpie
What? I've read this card a dozen times and I don't quite get it. Seems too powerful for WUB, but it seems like an O-Ring for as many creatures as you want, basically a wipe for all token creatures. Is that right?
As far as I understand it, it lets you exile up to 4 creatures. 1 you control, 1 that each different opponent controls. The wording is weird, but I'm pretty sure they just wanted a o ring that trades hitting all nonland permanents for being able to snag 4 creatures, and can be flickered to get value from one of your creatures and choose new things to imprison from your opponents.

But now that I read it again, I'm in doubt. I'm sure someone with more rules expertise can save us both :)
Last edited by Venedrex 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

kraus911

Post by kraus911 » 2 years ago

Venedrex wrote:
2 years ago
kraus911 wrote:
2 years ago
Lagrella, the Magpie
As far as I understand it, it lets you exile up to 4 creatures. 1 you control, 1 that each different opponent controls. The wording is weird, but I'm pretty sure they just wanted a o ring that trades hitting all nonland permanents for being able to snag 4 creatures, and can be flickered to get value from one of your creatures and choose new things to imprison from your opponents.
Ahhh, controlled by different players so up to 1 per opponent and 1 of yours. Thanks, I was reading as many creatures as you wanted which didn't make sense. Thanks!

RedCheese

Post by RedCheese » 2 years ago

Goldhound looks very simple, but seems amazing for Daretti

Mookie

Aaaand we now have the rest of the main set. Still waiting on some stuff from the commander decks though, I assume. Or maybe we're waiting for set booster cards? It's sort of impossible to tell.
Overall, I have somewhat mixed feelings about the set - there are lots of individual cards I like, but the faction themes don't really align with what my current shard-colored decks are doing, which means I don't see myself picking up many of the tricolor cards. Still, they do open up design space for new archetypes in those colors. Hmmm....

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Giada, Font of Hope is a serious house. Her, a stack of white token producers and Divine Visitation seems like a recipe for a real beatdown. Or run the Caterer and Giada as secret commander and now you have access to Doubling Season, Parallel Lives, the aforementioned Visitation and all other kinds of token shenanigans.

DirkGently

Just fyi, if lagrella worked on any number of enemy creatures it would be "other players" not "different players".

Not much of interest in the last batch except for the symmetrical draw bird and the angel commander. Kinda nuts that there's a 2/2 flying vigilance with UPSIDE for 2.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 2 years ago

Venedrex wrote:
2 years ago
The wording is weird
I think the reason they worded it this way is so Lagrella can exile 1 creature per player but can't choose herself as a target; any other template would be too long.
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

caulkwrangler

Post by caulkwrangler » 2 years ago

This set is going to be a shining draft format, and a good tithe of commander cards as well. Overall, win for me.

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

DirkGently wrote:
2 years ago
Just fyi, if lagrella worked on any number of enemy creatures it would be "other players" not "different players".

Not much of interest in the last batch except for the symmetrical draw bird and the angel commander. Kinda nuts that there's a 2/2 flying vigilance with UPSIDE for 2.
Lagrella's wording is absurdly unintuitive. There had to have been a better way.

DirkGently

kirkusjones wrote:
2 years ago
DirkGently wrote:
2 years ago

Lagrella's wording is absurdly unintuitive. There had to have been a better way.
Personally I grokked it fine but I can understand some confusion. Maybe the Grasp of Fate templating (with players instead of opponents obviously) would have read better.

Still not even close to as bad as Breena, the Demagogue though. I think that's my high water mark for difficult to parse card text. I still need to reread her when I play against her.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”