[mtgnexus] Random Card of the Day - Golgari Thug

umtiger
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by umtiger » 2 years ago

4x Counters for all your PW's is quite a get from a single card.

I use this in my type 4 stack, where the incidental life gain makes the card pretty legit.

lyonhaert
Answers: 4
Pronoun: they / them

Post by lyonhaert » 2 years ago

Planewide Celebration is on my short-list of cards to test in my Ramos "these walkers worked really hard on these tokens" deck whenever I get around to rebuilding it. There are a lot of walkers where the ultimate is within 4 loyalty counters of what they start at normally. I still have a bit of a rule of not using Doubling Season in that deck, but this is the card I'm easing off my "no proliferate" rule for because it fits the deck's modal spells subtheme, and each mode is relevant to the deck.

Overall I like this card if enough of the modes are relevant to your deck.
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

hyalopterouslemur
Pronoun: he / him

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 2 years ago

3drinks wrote:
2 years ago
The base cost for Proliferate is 4 based on what we're told, which inclines me to believe this card is worth it. But idk, it's a bit fuzzy at the seven.
It's more like Steady Progress, Volt Charge, Tezzeret's Gambit, Spread the Sickness, Bloom Hulk, Contentious Plan, Fuel for the Cause, Courage in Crisis, Grim Affliction, Huatli's Raptor, Wanderer's Strike, Smell Fear, and Kiora's Dambreaker. For a one-time effect. There are a few others for modal effects.

Still, four loyalty on each planeswalker. Or use with Cathars' Crusade for four +1/+1 counters. (Actually, you could just use the 2/2 tokens for that. Usual Doubling Season synergy noted.) Or with Ichor Rats for four poison countered.

Or annoy everyone with Tangle Wire and Woodripper.
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 2 years ago

Friday, December 24th, 2021; Esika's Chariot

"Kitty Cart"!

3drinks

hyalopterouslemur wrote:
2 years ago
3drinks wrote:
2 years ago
The base cost for Proliferate is 4 based on what we're told, which inclines me to believe this card is worth it. But idk, it's a bit fuzzy at the seven.
It's more like Steady Progress, Volt Charge, Tezzeret's Gambit, Spread the Sickness, Bloom Hulk, Contentious Plan, Fuel for the Cause, Courage in Crisis, Grim Affliction, Huatli's Raptor, Wanderer's Strike, Smell Fear, and Kiora's Dambreaker. For a one-time effect. There are a few others for modal effects.

Still, four loyalty on each planeswalker. Or use with Cathars' Crusade for four +1/+1 counters. (Actually, you could just use the 2/2 tokens for that. Usual Doubling Season synergy noted.) Or with Ichor Rats for four poison countered.

Or annoy everyone with Tangle Wire and Woodripper.
You could also add four age counters to all your opponents cumulative upkeep cards! themoreyouknow.gif

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 2 years ago

3drinks wrote:
2 years ago
Friday, December 24th, 2021; Esika's Chariot

"Kitty Cart"!
It's in the Volo, Guide to Monsters deck I am building. Question, if you copy token made by Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker or Mimic Vat does it still get sac'd end of turn?
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 2 years ago

The cat napping in this art is good.

Maybe it plays well with Gideon PWs? It's probably a lot more work than it is worth unless you lucked into a really neat token with Vizier of Many Faces or Theoretical Duplication or something.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

EonAon

Post by EonAon » 2 years ago

Its a good/bad card. On one hand it creates the crew needed for it to work and if you have good etb or otherwise great effect creatures it works well. Sadly it sits in the 4cc slot which means while you can use it early not much worth copying is played before except for some tech creatures unless you extreme ramp consistently. Its also usually in the spot where your developing your field or mana early and later on you would have to attach a previously played creature to actually get activation same term rather than the kitties.

lyonhaert
Answers: 4
Pronoun: they / them

Post by lyonhaert » 2 years ago

Still looking forward to see how well this performs in my Esix, Fractal Bloom deck. At one point there was potential of seeing it in play (it was one of two similar choices from copying a Burning-Rune Demon) and my opponents thought this was the more dangerous, so there's that.
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 2 years ago

It's a good card in any green token deck, especially with any doubling effects since it not only creates tokens on entry, but through swinging. Also, since it is a vehicle, it survives a lot of sweepers.

Wallycaine

Post by Wallycaine » 2 years ago

Dunharrow wrote:
2 years ago
It's in the Volo, Guide to Monsters deck I am building. Question, if you copy token made by Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker or Mimic Vat does it still get sac'd end of turn?
It depends on the specific wording of the token creation effect. The two you quoted won't be exiled/sacrificed because the sacrifice is part of the token creation effect. Contrast with Heat Shimmer for an example of one that would require any copies to be exiled as well, since the ability is on the creature itself.

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 2 years ago

At worst, you get two 2/2s this turn and one next turn. But you can easily create 4/4 angels, 5/5 demons, 5/5 dragons, or clones.
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

onering
Answers: 1

Post by onering » 2 years ago

It's pretty solid, the real downside is one nobody has mentioned: it's only a 4/4 so it dies real easy when it attacks.

Even so, if you have it in the right deck it's 4 mana for 2 2/2s and a 4/4 flying angel or something, plus one attack with a 4/4. That's a pretty decent rate for a fail state, which makes the times when it actually survives combat and gets to swing multiple times worth chasing.

3drinks

Saturday, December 25th, 2021; Cultivator Colossus

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 2 years ago

Meh, boring card is boring.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 2 years ago

It'd be sick in my 98-land deck. Too bad it isn't a land somehow.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 2 years ago

Cultivator Colossus is somewhat interesting as a ramp payoff. Most discussion I see for it is as a combo card - either in a land-heavy deck, or with Abundance. I'm not sure how I feel about it elsewhere - by the time you hit seven mana, it's somewhat rare to still have lands left in hand. If you can Explore two or three times, it's probably still worth it, but... hard to guarantee. Could be fun with Alhammarret's Archive / Teferi's Ageless Insight though.

The most obvious card to compare it to is Ulvenwald Hydra - instead of playing lands, you can tutor one directly onto the battlefield, which makes it work well in decks with useful utility lands. I think the Hydra is going to be better for most decks - it's cheaper and more consistent. I also value reach over trample, which is worth consideration. Alternatively, Boundless Realms is the king of seven mana ramp spells, and also seems more consistent.

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 2 years ago

And a merry Lands.dec wincon to all!

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 2 years ago

don't particularly like it. I have seen it draw 10+ cards but I have also seen it be vanilla.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

3drinks

Sunday, December 26th, 2021; Tail Slash

I know, I know, it's not flashy but it is super fight. No crack backs. And instant. As far as fight effects go, this is near the top I'd have to imagine.

Melua

Post by Melua » 2 years ago

3drinks wrote:
2 years ago
Saturday, December 25th, 2021; Cultivator Colossus

I'd be more interested in this if WOTC didn't keep pushing Green cards so hard. I know most players start by playing Green, but some restraint needs to be shown. It honestly makes playing my Windgrace deck boring as hell.
3drinks wrote:
2 years ago
Sunday, December 26th, 2021; Tail Slash

I know, I know, it's not flashy but it is super fight. No crack backs. And instant. As far as fight effects go, this is near the top I'd have to imagine.
Red usually has better ways to get rid of creatures but it's not bad. It kinda needs a home though as it feels a bit overcosted though, although I'm not sure if a RR cost would be too much. It's not like Pit Fight is a broken card after all.

The_Hittite

Post by The_Hittite » 2 years ago

Well if you need a second, worse Fall of the Hammer...

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 2 years ago

It works with deathtouch and lifelink, which is okay. I'm probably not using it unless my general has one or both of those.

I'd use Ram Through, though, if I have a lot of tramplers.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 2 years ago

3drinks wrote:
2 years ago

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 2 years ago

This is also worse than Soul's Fire.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”