Kaalia's Personal Liaison
Pronoun: he / him

Post by 3drinks » 2 years ago

Tuesday, August 17th, 2021; Blossoming Bogbeast

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 2 years ago

Without additional lifegain this falls behind Pathbreaker Ibex pretty quickly, but it's nice to have this to add some additional redundancy to decks that want it. I'm thinking I could cut Thunderfoot Baloth and put together some big swings with Zuran Orb in my Titania list.

Outcryqq

Post by Outcryqq » 2 years ago

I like Blossoming Bogbeast. It competes with the following: Craterhoof Behemoth (the gold standard), End-Raze Forerunners, Thunderfoot Baloth, Pathbreaker Ibex, and Cultivator of Blades for the spot of a green stompy curve topping game ender. I like them all for different reasons, and I suppose if you have a lifegain subtheme maybe the bogbeast wins out; however, I've never seen that subtheme put in much work. I know the elf precon had that subtheme, and while I haven't played against it, I suppose there are times where this turned into a gigantic pump?

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 2 years ago

Not as lethal as Pathbreaker, but that also means people are more likely to let you untap with it. Combined with it being one of the cheapest versions of this effect, and I can see it acting as a slower force-multiplier, in addition to being a wincon when you have the setup. Another advantage of this over 'Hoof, is people pretty regularly ask if any swarmy green deck is running 'Hoof, and adjust their threat evaluations accordingly. While I haven't seen this card in play, I have seen an elf deck become the archenemy and die in the same turn cycle as we learned it had 'Hoof.

EonAon

Post by EonAon » 2 years ago

I use this in my trostani, selesnyas' voice deck as a finisher and a combo part for other parts of the deck. There are many ways to force this in white and green that even if your using some of the iffy cards your getting a decent bonus out of it.

Sinis
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Sinis » 2 years ago

There are a few of these overrun-every-turn creatures, and I can't say that I'm generally impressed with them. Pathbreaker Ibex (who is impressive only because of the numbers that can be involved), Cultivator of Blades, Wild Beastmaster. I categorize these as separate from one-shot effects like Earthshaker Giant or Craterhoof Behemoth.

I think I would take something with a static anthem-like ability like Thunderfoot Baloth over this, even though Blossoming Bogbeast would be thematically more appropriate in a lifegain deck, but I think you'd need a lot of lifegain for this to be deadly.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 2 years ago

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
2 years ago
toctheyounger wrote:
2 years ago
I love that idiom! It needs to be on a t shirt or something. Also, at some point I really do need to try biscuits and gravy.
I've enshrined it forever in signature. And when you finally seek out the biscuits and gravy — get them made from scratch or from a small local greasyspoon, don't get that commercial extruded crap from a chain. It'll give you the wrong idea and do an unquantifiable disservice to one of the great pillars of southern breakfast.
EonAon wrote:
2 years ago
toctheyounger wrote:
2 years ago
TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
2 years ago
Card is nutty in Dockside Extortionist storm decks. Cycling is gravy to unearth's baseline biscuits, but that's just further proof that this is a good breakfast.
1. Tbh i think this speaks more for how truly gross dockside is than our RCOTD. That card should never have been printed. At least not for 1r.
2. Don't get me wrong, Unearth is cool and I really like it. I do find its a common cut in a lot of my decks, but its usually in the running at least.
3. Its a travesty that we don't have biscuits and gravy in NZ.

Otherwise unearth is a interesting card for lower cc synergies but yeah there are other types of this card that work on a larger cross section of the EDH library of cards.
Its the lords work you're doing here chaps. I've done the gravy at home myself before. Its easy enough. The biscuits though...I'm no baker so I think I'd struggle.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 2 years ago

toctheyounger wrote:
2 years ago
Its the lords work you're doing here chaps. I've done the gravy at home myself before. Its easy enough. The biscuits though...I'm no baker so I think I'd struggle.
If you want something easier, I'll recommend drop biscuits - they don't require any kneading / folding, so they're more beginner-friendly.

onering
Answers: 1

Post by onering » 2 years ago

I'd imagine it's pretty sweet with Well-wisher. I'd say if you can gain 2+ extra life pretty reliably, it's pretty good, because that makes everything +4/+4 at minimum, which is enough to turn a wide board lethal, at least to take a player out. To make this kill the table out of nowhere it needs haste and a way to gain 8 or more extra life beyond it's own life gain effect on a wide board. That's a stretch, so it's something you have to be willing to get value out of, and it's also less likely to be killed on sight.

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 2 years ago

Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Post by kirkusjones » 2 years ago

hyalopterouslemur wrote:
2 years ago
Probably worse than a lot, but I can think of a few things:

All my creatures worked on Roseanne season 4

Simple anthem

Blanket +1/+1 for each green spell you cast before combat

But probably the best is Illusions of Grandeur
Oh man. I love the idea of using Illusions this way…kind of makes me want to build a terrible Yarok pile with that combo and call it "Trust Me, It's Trash."

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 2 years ago

kirkusjones wrote:
2 years ago
hyalopterouslemur wrote:
2 years ago
Probably worse than a lot, but I can think of a few things:

All my creatures worked on Roseanne season 4

Simple anthem

Blanket +1/+1 for each green spell you cast before combat

But probably the best is Illusions of Grandeur
Oh man. I love the idea of using Illusions this way…kind of makes me want to build a terrible Yarok pile with that combo and call it "Trust Me, It's Trash."
Don't forget the even more Delusions of Mediocrity. Though at that point you probably just be running a sac outlet and Life Goes On. But then again, "It's Trash." :smirk:

The_Hittite

Post by The_Hittite » 2 years ago

Almost combos with Feed the Clan but not quite.

EonAon

Mookie wrote:
2 years ago
toctheyounger wrote:
2 years ago
If you want something easier, I'll recommend drop biscuits - they don't require any kneading / folding, so they're more beginner-friendly.
I honestly think the first recipe he does is the one I would do and am planning myself. Everything else after is more a if you have much more time and energy. That said you can always buy a roll of sausage at a local grocery store and mash that and add a bit of sage to the mix. I honestly think the first recipes biscuits are fairly simple thing to make considering its just 5 ingredients and mix with only a bit of rolling.

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 2 years ago

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
2 years ago
... the American southeast is the only place for me. Nice climate, marvelous breakfast food, friendly people, and cheap cigarettes.
The South ain't so bad. Not as bad as the Southerners, at any rate.

Southern cuisine is the best American cuisine, even outside of breakfast considerations, but biscuits and gravy occupy a particularly hardened place near my heart.

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Can't wait for the next Biscuits: The Gravying expansion: Mushroom Madness.

EonAon

kirkusjones wrote:
2 years ago
Well we could do a EDH deck in WGB for it :)

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

EonAon wrote:
2 years ago
kirkusjones wrote:
2 years ago
Well we could do a EDH deck in WGB for it :)
I'm just waiting on more spoilers, after the whole Duck Fat debacle from last year's Brunch Battle set, I'm a little gunshy about new builds.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 2 years ago

Ha, I was just telling my gf a few weeks ago about how I wanted biscuits and gravy but hadn't seen any in NZ. Maybe I'll have to try dusting off my culinary skills while we're in lockdown.
Sinis wrote:
2 years ago
I think I would take something with a static anthem-like ability like Thunderfoot Baloth over this, even though Blossoming Bogbeast would be thematically more appropriate in a lifegain deck, but I think you'd need a lot of lifegain for this to be deadly.
Lifegain isn't exactly hard to come by - Life Goes On gives you 8 life for 1 mana, after all, so the ceiling here is quite high. I think I prefer this to thunderfoot generally, simply because thunderfoot is horrible when it gets shot out from underneath you mid-combat. With a trigger, you're a lot less vulnerable. It'll still probably die pre-combat, but at least you'll have a more accurate picture of what you're working with. Though, thunderfoot does have immediate impact without haste, which bogbeast does not.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 2 years ago

DirkGently wrote:
2 years ago
Ha, I was just telling my gf a few weeks ago about how I wanted biscuits and gravy but hadn't seen any in NZ. Maybe I'll have to try dusting off my culinary skills while we're in lockdown.
They definitely don't exist here. Just one of those foods that hasn't translated. Gravy for us is primarily red meat based where I understand gravy in the American sense is from pork/bacon fat (correct me if I'm wrong).

Also, having spoken to people in and outside of New Zealand before our idea of biscuits don't match up either. Biscuits here are what Americans would call cookies and the closest equivalent we have to American biscuits is scones. And I'm told making that comparison is blasphemous.

Yall take your breakfast foods seriously, its easy to see where a character like Ron Swanson comes from.

I don't think I've had a single thing to say about this random card. Its no craterhoof, and I'm pretty alright with that, even though I wouldn't play it.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Igzex

Post by Igzex » 2 years ago

And they said life gain doesn't win games...

cheonice
Death to Chronos.

Post by cheonice » 2 years ago

3drinks wrote:
2 years ago

I tested Blossoming Bogbeast in Selvala, Explorer Returned. Despite the lifegain subtheme I run this was always underwhelming. I swapped this back to End-Raze Forerunners.

Maybe Trostani, Selesnya's Voice can make use of this?

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 2 years ago

Wednesday, august 18th, 2021; Five-Alarm Fire

I feel like this is the missing link from my developing of Subira, Tulzidi Caravanner goblins (reference point: playing every "phone a friend" effect from Goblin Instigator to You Find Some Prisoners You See a Pair of Goblins)........
Last edited by 3drinks 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 2 years ago

I like this card more than I should because it's a rattlesnake. If it just dealt 5 damage as a trigger it'd be unexciting, but being able to store the counters is pretty rad, especially before Aetherflux Reservoir made the whole "sit on a doom cannon that can 1-shot people" thing kinda easy and uninteresting.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 2 years ago

I never got it out when I played him, but I still like it in Kazuul, Tyrant of the Cliffs.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”