Which commanders from AFR/AFC are you interested in brewing/building?

Which commanders from AFR/AFC are you interested in brewing/building?

Acererak the Archlich
1%
Asmodeus the Archfiend
4%
Barrowin of Clan Undurr
1%
Bruenor Battlehammer
1%
Catti-brie of Mithral Hall
No votes
Delina, Wild Mage
3%
Drizzt Do'Urden
3%
Ebondeath, Dracolich
3%
Farideh, Devil's Chosen
3%
Galea, Kindler of Hope
No votes
Grazilaxx, Illithid Scholar
1%
Gretchen Titchwillow
No votes
Hama Pashar, Ruin Seeker
No votes
Icingdeath, Frost Tyrant
1%
Inferno of the Star Mounts
3%
Iymrith, Desert Doom
1%
Kalain, Reclusive Painter
4%
Karazikar, the Eye Tyrant
6%
Klauth, Unrivaled Ancient
1%
Krydle of Baldur's Gate
1%
Lorcan, Warlock Collector
1%
Minn, Wily Illusionist
4%
Minsc, Beloved Ranger
1%
Nadaar, Selfless Paladin
1%
Nihiloor
3%
Old Gnawbone
1%
Orcus, Prince of Undeath
1%
Oswald Fiddlebender
4%
Prosper, Tome-Bound
7%
Sefris of the Hidden Ways
6%
Shessra, Death's Whisper
No votes
Storvald, Frost Giant Jarl
No votes
Targ Nar, Demon-Fang Gnoll
No votes
The Tarrasque
1%
Tiamat
1%
Trelasarra, Moon Dancer
3%
Varis, Silverymoon Ranger
3%
Volo, Guide to Monsters
13%
Vrondiss, Rage of Ancients
No votes
Wulfgar of Icewind Dale
1%
Xanathar, Guild Kingpin
4%
Zalto, Fire Giant Duke
No votes

Total votes: 69

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional
Pronoun: he / him

Post by DirkGently » 2 years ago

Thought this seemed like a worthwhile side-topic to the new card discussion thread to gauge the interests of the forum, especially for those of who are relentless brewers. The poll is flexible in interpretation - you could check only the commanders you plan to actually build a deck for, or if you don't have the funds to actually build a new deck, feel free to simply check ones you're interested in brewing about, thinking about, etc. And revoting is allowed so you can change your opinion if you lose interest in one, or get sold on another one. Totally up to you.

However this is strictly for brewing as a commander, not cards you're interested in for the 99.

For convenience, here are links for all the new legends:
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Sanity_Eclipse

Post by Sanity_Eclipse » 2 years ago

DirkGently wrote:
2 years ago

However this is strictly for brewing as a commander, not cards you're interested in for the 99.
...Welp. lol. I selected the few I could potentially see building, but this set for me didn't exactly inspire new things, just roleplayers (ba dum tish) for other decks.
Delina - As a Rionya spin-off and an elf, interesting enough to spin a brew from.
Dragons - Unique and actually powerful enough in respective colors to try, essentially, unlike all the non- dragons from waaay long ago.
More Decks
Show
Hide
- Lyra - Naru Meha - Chandra - Lovisa - Nissa -
- Lavinia X - Yuriko - Jhoira - Saheeli - Glissa - Lathril - Meren - Koma -
- Anafenza - Alela - Sen Triplets - Inalla - Sidisi -
- Breya -

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 2 years ago

Bruenor Battlehammer - I'm not sure if the free equip will make this dude a better option than Ardenn, Intrepid Archaeologist/any red partner, but he does have aggressive stats. Wyleth, Soul of Steel's card advantage is likely better, too, but I still want to give BB a shot.

Krydle of Baldur's Gate - Repeatable unblockability seems neat. I doubt I would make a rogue or ninja deck here. Mostly I just want a thicc Consuming Aberration to beat face.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 2 years ago

I like Trelasarra as an open-ended commander for a more ego-style deck, less synergy and more personal fave cards, given that there's a hundred squillion cards that make you gain life at the same time as doing something else; less of a mad-rush into a Heliod combo, or something, more of a "watch me assemble all my fave trinkets, throw in a Wellwisher and see if I can assemble a board state I don't feel ashamed of" thang

as for absolute synergy, I think Minn is the most exciting

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 2 years ago

Nothing, I never brew commanders anymore until they've been out for a while. Breena, the Demagogue is the closest timing I had and I made it a few months after I wanna say, and only because it was a pretty easy port of a deck I already had.

I like to give everyone else time to get tired of their decks and move on to the next new hype so I can wallow in my individuality :P

Ruiner

Post by Ruiner » 2 years ago

Been reading the Drizzt Do'Urden books for about 30 years so I definitely feel compelled to build his deck. A little disappointed that there weren't more items/supporting cast from that series to be able to go all in on the theme but I'll have Catti-brie of Mithral Hall in his deck. Currently making it very themed so it's a full on Voltron style deck with a bunch of unicorns (the symbol of his goddess). Going to try to keep it with just animals or some mystical spirit creatures (other than Catti) to capture that ranger vibe. I've got most of the cards for the deck together, just waiting on new cards from this set to arrive now. Including Icingdeath, Frost Tyrant so that I can get the sword Drizzt uses feels really weird (the dragon helps him until it dies in my deck?), don't know that I'm going to do that.

Bruenor Battlehammer and Wulfgar of Icewind Dale both seem really cool but I don't think I'll build them anytime soon.

I was really hoping we'd get a Farideh, Devil's Chosen since I like the Brimstone Angel novels a lot but the card bears pretty much no resemblance to the character and seems to boring to build around. Lorcan, Warlock Collector, the devil she made her pact with seems pretty cool though but I don't know if I'm going to build a deck centered around him (he'll probably make it into the 99 of some deck though).

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 2 years ago

Volo seems popular.
Whether it is with legends like Keiga, the Tide Star, or just getting big value on beefy creatures, there is something fun about Volo.
I personally want to populate and go nuts.
Also Volo is very good with clones.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

Cyberium
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Cyberium » 2 years ago

I like Prosper, Tome-Bound. I like impulse draw in general, it tests people's ability to utilize advantage at the moment. It might be easier to have cards like Sensei's Divining Top around, but I won't use it in his deck.

Nihiloor, I want to try an equipment/token route to maximize his abilities. Xanathar will be in the deck, might avoid Sen Triplets though.

SocorroTortoise
Not A Turtle

Post by SocorroTortoise » 2 years ago

Wulfgar of Icewind Dale looks like a fun one. I haven't spent any time looking into what I would actually include, so I don't know if the deck would actually be interesting enough to put together. It's at least worth a look.

Despite thinking that The Tarrasque is a relatively poor interpretation of the DnD monster, the card still looks like fun for a brainless green ramp deck. I suspect it's worse than a number of other options for the same deck, but I may give it a shot at some point.
[Pr]Jaya | Estrid | A rotating cast of decks built out of my box

cheonice
Death to Chronos.

Post by cheonice » 2 years ago

Delina, Wild Mage - She expands the red create-an-attacking-token-theme so maybe there finally is a deck to unravel? Could be worth testing! Add some Equipments for evasion and protection, add some additional attack phases and go to town. Though this sounds very linear.

Volo, Guide to Monsters - He could be a great option for a more casual approach, maybe a "Simic mediocre-stuff" rather than the typical goodstuff. The quest is clear: find the strange creature types with a somewhat okayish etb ability. The deck of hidden gems.

ilovesaprolings

Post by ilovesaprolings » 2 years ago

Sadly all the ones i consider interesting are also pretty similar to decks already in my meta. Storvald to Volrath, Sefris to Karador,... even Vrondiss would share many cards with Gishath because of enrage.
Then i guess the most interesting one is Nihiloor

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 2 years ago

Since no one has picked her yet, I gotta say, damn is Farideh, Devil's Chosen terrible. Needing to roll 10+ seems semi-reasonable on paper, but then you realise that most of the precon dice stuff is d12 or less, making it almost impossible. And almost all the main-set dice-rolling stuff is limited chaff. I have to assume the 4 people who built her on edhrec like her for flavour reasons or something because, damn.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 2 years ago

Volo, Guide to Monsters - I have already built this since I pulled him at the prerelease this weekend. Simic not-a-tribe go! He just seems like dumb fun.
Kalain, Reclusive Painter - Not initially on my radar, but I was impressed by them at the prerelease and suspect that between Pitiless Plunderer, Revel in Riches, and Gadrak, the Crown-Scourge one can probably make enough treasures to reliably make creatures while also getting value out of stuff like Disciple of the Vault and Mayhem Devil. Deck seems fun.
I also voted for Minn, Wily Illusionist to make illusion tribal since it sounds fun? But I probably won't.

I do wish that Farideh, Devil's Chosen was better since the "Natural 20" deck with the fringe chance of auto-winning with Delina, Wild Mage + Pixie Guide sounds amusing. But Farideh is awful, and there's not enough d20s to make a real go of it without having to run a ton of draft chaff.

Same with Dungeon-running; Sefris of the Hidden Ways approaches playability but still feels pretty fringe-y, and I already have an Esper commander besides. The lack of good Venture cards also means that Barrowin of Clan Undurr. Nadaar, Selfless Paladin. and Hama Pashar, Ruin Seeker are destined to just be in the 99 of Sefris' deck and not helm their own decks. Maybe we'll get more support for this in a future set?

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 2 years ago

Volo, Guide to Monsters - I mean, I think everyone and their sister is going to build a Volo deck, or know someone who is. Is it just goodstuff? Not sure. I'm thankful Volo shares a type with Eternal Witness, at least. I may or may not get around to this one, it might just be too generic to build, and I can see it getting hated out for being too much of a C-130 full of value.

Sefris of the Hidden Ways - I like dungeons (Wish rules notwishstanding), and this is really just going to be the best commander to use, probably. I think there's a cutesy value-control deck somewhere in here that has ways of making this go.

Farideh, Devil's Chosen - I like the dice rolling. I want to play Barbarian Class. Don't @ me. Weirdly, the Gruul precon doesn't really tickle my fancy (there are four green cards total that roll dice between afr and afc, and some of them are not great). Most of the dice rolling cards are in Izzet anyway (Wizard's Spellbook? HELLO?!). Anyway, Farideh is the only commander available that kinda makes me feel okay about rolling dice? Drawing cards for rolling dice (half the time) seems okay. Menace and Flying? Sure, whatever. (I know this is awful, but, you know.)

That said, tons of these cards will find homes in the 99. Ebondeath, Dracolich, Asmodeus the Archfiend, Acererak the Archlich, Grazilaxx, Illithid Scholar, Orcus, Prince of Undeath, and Minn, Wily Illusionist will definitely find spots in my decks.

knight_seb

Post by knight_seb » 2 years ago

Honestly, at this moment, no legend inspires me to build a deck around it. Some will go in my decks like Krydle and Gretchen.

Gashnaw

Post by Gashnaw » 2 years ago

Only inferno, Every other potential commander that interests me is going into The Ur-dragon
Inferno would not fit as it would essentially just be a dragon with firebreath. at least if i build a deck around him, i can abuse the ability.
Even then, he is not my top priority. I have one voltron deck already, and while i plan to dismantle it, I wont jump onto Inferno right away.

Gashnaw

Post by Gashnaw » 2 years ago

Only inferno, Every other potential commander that interests me is going into The Ur-dragon
Inferno would not fit as it would essentially just be a dragon with firebreath. at least if i build a deck around him, i can abuse the ability.
Even then, he is not my top priority. I have one voltron deck already, and while i plan to dismantle it, I wont jump onto Inferno right away.

JWK
Elder Thing

Post by JWK » 2 years ago

The only one I know for sure I want to build is Volo. I imagine a lot of these will end up in the 99 of decks, though.
I have 68 active EDH decks, with more in progress. I don't consider this a problem. Do you?
I am also one of those barbarians who enjoys winning by turning creatures sideways.

Jemolk
Compulsive Jank Builder

Post by Jemolk » 2 years ago

Farideh, Devil's Chosen -- more weird thematic jank for me to build around, this time with dice rolling. Farideh is the only potential commander that cares about that, so she's the obvious choice. Probably good for me to have something else definitively on the lower end of the power spectrum, too -- I have a werewolf tribal deck, but something else that's going to stay relatively low power is probably not a bad thing to have for someone who plays EDH at an LGS like me.

Kalain, Reclusive Painter -- Rakdos treasures seems different and therefore probably fun too. Probably going to be a bit before I actually put it together, though, if I ever do. Got too many other decks in the works to spend the effort on serious brewing there just now.

kraus911

Post by kraus911 » 2 years ago

Despite the weird name (why is it silvery and not just silver?) this is the commander I plan on using to play with the dungeon mechanic. Elfball into the dungeon! Really I want to build Ellywick Tumblestrum as a commander, so I guess she'll be the secret commander. Though maybe the better option would be Captain Sisay as she can fetch both.

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 2 years ago

I'm not planning to build any of the new commanders at the moment, but Karazikar, the Eye Tyrant, Minn, Wily Illusionist, Wulfgar of Icewind Dale, and Xanathar, Guild Kingpin all look like a lot of fun. Karazikar and Xanathar are probably going to end up slotting into my Kess and/or Tasigur decks. Wulfgar could slot into Samut, although it would require a lot of tweaking. Minn would require an entirely new deck, but Illusion tribal // mini-Show and Tell shenanigans sounds quite entertaining.

Ardeyn

Post by Ardeyn » 2 years ago

I wish, there was an option to choose "None" so one could vote and see the poll results even though there's not a Legend interesting enough to build.
D&D is just not for me even though I love other Roleplaying Games, so the flavor drives me off basically all the cards that I find even mildly interesting from a mechanical perspective.
Still, I'm interested in what others find interesting and which of the legendary Characters is the most popular.
So I voted Prosper, as the design space of that card is interesting to me but not the card per se and I will most certainly not build it.

Ardeyn
"A single spark of passion can change a man forever."

RedCheese

Post by RedCheese » 2 years ago

Only Karazikar sparked something in me. Don't know if i would build a deck with it as a commander, but i really like the card.

Jemolk
Compulsive Jank Builder

Post by Jemolk » 2 years ago

kraus911 wrote:
2 years ago

Despite the weird name (why is it silvery and not just silver?) < SNIP >
Silverymoon is a very large city and the capital of the Silver Marches. That's why. Presumably Varis operates out of there.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”