[mtgnexus] Random Card of the Day - Rishkar, Peema Renegade

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison
Pronoun: he / him

Post by 3drinks » 3 years ago

Saturday, may 22nd, 2021; Wavebreak Hippocamp

From the Master Biomancers which brought you Sharktocrab......it's horse fish. Man, those simic folk sure do you have some weird visions of life..........
Steel Sabotage'ng Orbs of Mellowness since 2011.

I collect Kaalia of the Vast normal-size cards. Do you have any extra taking up space in your binder? Help me grow my collection! :)

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 3 years ago

I like this type of stuff. It encourages you to do stuff during other people's turns but not at the annoying spam level of Seedborn Muse where you take a second virtual turn during everyone's upkeep.

MeowZeDung
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by MeowZeDung » 3 years ago

I really like it in principle, but then i think about it and it just comes across as awkward.

You need to pass the turn with mana open and a flash/instant spell in hand just to replace the horse - so unless the other spell is CA you're still down a card and mana. It doesn't really pay off until the second round of the table and still asks you to hold up instant speed cards and play incrementally (each opp turn). And it's a 3 mana 2/2, which dies to a stiff breeze in our format. This is probably the biggest detractor to me, a massive Whirlwind of Thought fan.

Lastly, it seems to want to play into enchantments mattering. I suppose you could ignore that type (just like you probably aren't playing horse or fish tribal), but it is there and relevant. I suppose flash enchantress could be a thing.

None of these things individually are turn offs per se, but I add em all up and go "ehhhhhhhh, maybe I'll pass."

Great Ephara, God of the Polis card if you take the flash route though. Totally get @pokken's enthusiasm.
Kykar primer and other active decks (click!)

pokken

MeowZeDung wrote:
3 years ago
Great Ephara, God of the Polis card if you take the flash route though. Totally get @pokken's enthusiasm.
Interestingly I am not super into cards that draw cards in Ephara. She draws a ton on her own. I like this a lot more in control shells that want to cast a ton of instants.

It's not that it's explicitly bad in Ephara to draw a ton of cards I just prefer not to focus a lot of energy on it.

I think what I like about this card is that it has similarities with Ephara's playstyle :)

Moonlighter
Lunatic

Post by Moonlighter » 3 years ago

MeowZeDung wrote:
3 years ago
(just like you probably aren't playing horse or fish tribal),
TheGildedGoose wrote:
3 years ago
It's a seahorse.
It features strongly in my fish horse memory tribal deck.
Playing EDH: Alesha Who Smiles at Death; Baba Lysaga, Night Witch; Emiel the Blessed; Breena, the Demagogue; Xenagos, God of Revels; Seton, Krosan Protector; Phelddagrif.

JWK
Elder Thing

Post by JWK » 3 years ago

3drinks wrote:
3 years ago
Saturday, may 22nd, 2021; Wavebreak Hippocamp

From the Master Biomancers which brought you Sharktocrab......it's horse fish. Man, those simic folk sure do you have some weird visions of life..........
The hippocamp, also known as the hippocampus, is a creature from classical Greek mythology. It also showed up in lots of fanciful illustrations of supposed sea monsters in much later sources, including maps and atlases. So, yeah, it's odd, but it actually thematically great in Theros. Presumably a Simic horse fish would be even weirder.
I have 68 active EDH decks, with more in progress. I don't consider this a problem. Do you?
I am also one of those barbarians who enjoys winning by turning creatures sideways.

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 3 years ago

Works with all of blue's instants. And Flash! Aaaaaaahhhhhh! Really saves every one of us in Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir. Or as part of the Reset combo. Green adds Seedborn Muse as another way to make sure you always have the mana.
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 3 years ago

Between this and Slitherwisp, I'm starting to wonder if 3 wants us to get into Dimir Flash.

3drinks

BeneTleilax wrote:
3 years ago
Between this and Slitherwisp, I'm starting to wonder if 3 wants us to get into Dimir Flash.
... miss me with alla that 🚮

I collect Kaalia of the Vast normal-size cards. Do you have any extra taking up space in your binder? Help me grow my collection! :)

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

3drinks

Sunday, May 23rd, 2021; Humility

That art always cracks me up but......if you play this, you're a dick. Stop it. Really if anything should be banned under the social contract, it's this.

Though I do have the urge to resolve Opalescence every time I see this hit the board 👀

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 3 years ago

Lol I love humility. Definitely annoying, but I'd much rather it got played than MLD. So satisfying watching everyone's dumb value engines crumble into dust.

The best card in Nahiri, the Lithomancer by a lot. But in most decks it's kinda hard to justify since it usually disables your commander.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Wayta - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Eris - Magda - Ghired2 - Xander - Me - Slogurk - Gilraen - Shelob2 - Kellan1 - Leori - Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

pokken

I don't absolutely loathe humility but I sure do hate it with planeswalker decks for some reason. The interaction is pretty unpleasant of "you can sit there while I ultimate my walkers womp womp." I'd rather they just Doubling Season or proliferate and get it over with :P

The play patterns of humility are generally not that great, they fall into the line of "I play this thing, now someone removes this thing or no one can play magic and I win."

I think that Commander is at its healthiest when the game ebbs and flows and board states develop, people attack or don't attack based on combat math, and things incrementally happen until there's a conclusion. So things like Humility and Static Orb and Stasis and Peacekeeper type stuff that just turns off combat for the most part create pretty unpleasant patterns in my opinion.

When I want to defend myself I tend toward things like Ghostly Prison, Kor Haven or even rattlesnakes like Skullwinder, since they create more choices. "Is it worth paying 2 to put 3 damage on the enchantress player? How about 7? Can I afford to lose a creature to a deathtouch blocker? Can I present difficult choices as to what to fog?"

Humility is basically a big dumb hammer you take to the rules of the game and while I'm not going to flip the table when I see it, it's not going to craft memorable games. Unless you have to look up some dumb rules interaction and then it's just a negative memory mostly :P

The kinda overall meta pattern of "I play this one thing and does someone have removal? No, ok, I win" is something I try to avoid, and Humility falls into that.

umtiger

Post by umtiger » 3 years ago

The art is awesome. The flavor text is awesome. The card is awesome.

You cannot make me feel bad for playing this. Sorry but not sorry.

You can make me the archenemy and attack down with your 1/1's. But honesty, I find that it normally helps out at least one other player in a 4 player game.

onering
Answers: 1

Post by onering » 3 years ago

I feel like a dark genie whenever I play this. It usually goes something like this:

Player 1 has a ridiculous board.

Player 2: "We need to do something about this NOW, does anyone have anything?"

Me: "I do"

Player 4: "Then play it"

Me: "Got you fam"

Then there was much regret.

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 3 years ago

My favorite story with Humility is in a game where I was playing against an Estrid, the Masked and a Roalesk, Apex Hybrid +1/+1 counter/go-wide deck. The Estrid deck played Humility forgetting/not realizing that it would either not effect or pump most of Roalesk's creatures. Needless to say, the Roalesk player won thanks to it.

Gamazson

Post by Gamazson » 3 years ago

I play a lot of voltrony builds, so while this hurts, it does not me completely. It is when people play Solemnity or similar that I make a pouty face.

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 3 years ago

I have a copy of it somewhere and i've used it to slow games down to buy time, while I build up. Then when it's the right time ,i'll Disenchant it.
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 3 years ago

I'm in the 'Humility is miserable' camp. I don't mind more targeted hate pieces like Torpor Orb / Cursed Totem / Rest in Peace, but Humility just blanket turns off a significant percentage of most decks. It's not targeted as much as a broad statement that you don't want your opponents to play the game. That's also before we account for any strategies based around a creature commander. It's particularly annoying because it protects itself from creature-based answers like Reclamation Sage and Caustic Caterpillar. I think the only creatures that get around it are Eldrazi with cast triggers like World Breaker and Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger.

Anyway, strong effect. Unplayable in most decks due to creatures being a key component of most strategies, but the decks it does go in (such as superfriends or spell-based combo) are made even more oppressive by its inclusion. It can also fit in enchantress / pillowfort strategies as a way to lock opponents out of the game. Turning everything into a vanilla 1/1 also massively slows down the game by negating most combat damage.

I'll call out Overwhelming Splendor as a budget, targeted alternative. Not being symmetric means it can theoretically go in more decks, although it also has a much steeper mana cost.

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 3 years ago

Token decks would greatly benefit from this card, but no one ever uses it. You really want to screw your opponents over? Play this with some anthems and toss in Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite or Night of Souls' Betrayal. Godhead of Awe is probably better.

But we can screw you over in more seemingly fair ways. Mycosynth Lattice and Aura Shards and Martyr's Bond. March of Souls and take your pick, so long as it's not a creature and/or has indestructible. Cathars' Crusade and any card that makes enough tokens. Purphoros, God of the Forge, Deranged Hermit, and Panharmonicon

Actually, a lot of Humility layers shenanigans can be more actutely (and without the rules confusion) with March of Souls.
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

pokken

Mookie wrote:
3 years ago
I'll call out Overwhelming Splendor as a budget, targeted alternative. Not being symmetric means it can theoretically go in more decks, although it also has a much steeper mana cost.
I find overwhelming splendoring one person to be a massive dick move personally heh.

Dragoon

Post by Dragoon » 3 years ago

pokken wrote:
3 years ago
I find overwhelming splendoring one person to be a massive dick move personally heh.
Preface that with an Identity Crisis, for good measure :P

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 3 years ago

Dragoon wrote:
3 years ago
pokken wrote:
3 years ago
Personally, I'm more of a Sadistic Sacrament fan. Captive Audience is also fun.

3drinks

Mookie wrote:
3 years ago
Dragoon wrote:
3 years ago
pokken wrote:
3 years ago
Personally, I'm more of a Sadistic Sacrament fan. Captive Audience is also fun.
Sad Sac their enchantment removal, then reanimate captive audience, but sshhh, don't tell anyone about my go to Ghen, Arcanum Weaver strat 👀👀

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

Dragoon

Post by Dragoon » 3 years ago

3drinks wrote:
3 years ago
Sad Sac their enchantment removal, then reanimate captive audience, but sshhh, don't tell anyone about my go to Ghen, Arcanum Weaver strat 👀👀
Ahah, I can visualize the situation: "Why are you just exiling the ... Oh ... I get it, that's why. Well, guess I'm ******".

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”