[mtgnexus] Random Card of the Day - Jetfire, Ingenious Scientist

Serenade
UnderKing
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Serenade » 3 years ago

In earlier days I ran Infest before I got a Mutilate. Nowadays I also use both Deluge and Dead of Winter.

I'll try Inner Demon in a Killian, Ink Duelist deck, but otherwise I am not running this or a Pyroclasm variant in this format.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

Sinis
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Sinis » 3 years ago

I recently used Black Sun's Zenith for 2, but I don't think I would play infest effects. They're just not all that strong, though I agree that this one is probably strongest.

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 3 years ago

DirkGently wrote:
3 years ago
It's a good infest, but I don't think I've ever felt like I wanted such a narrow sweeper in my decks. I guess I haven't run the numbers, but I don't think -2 kills enough of the format to make it worthwhile.

And ofc, in black the exile can easily be counterproductive.
It does kill the most common non-clone tokens, mana dorks, and a ton of utility creatures like Mother of Runes, Sylvan Safekeeper, and Waterfront Bouncer. But so can the origknal Infest.
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 3 years ago

Thursday, April 8th, 2021; True Believer / Aegis of the Gods

We've seen this effect a few times. Is it ever truly worth the card? And I'm not including the elephant in the room or Seht's Tiger since they're at least quite different from these effects, even though they sometimes are used the same.

Sinis

3drinks wrote:
3 years ago
No Imperial Mask?

I don't think I get fireballed or duressed enough in this format to use any of these. That could change, but, it just doesn't happen enough currently.

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 3 years ago

I run Aegis of the Gods sometimes in enchantress as a cheap body with a unique effect, and he's protected my GY at times. He's always my first cut, though (my GY doesn't always need protecting, and that toughness is WEAK).

Playing them signals you are doing something that requires protection. HUGE target. I'm sure we'll get one with flash eventually.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

JWK
Elder Thing

Post by JWK » 3 years ago

Like Serenade, I have run Aegis in some enchantress decks, and it's been okay, preventing me from the occasional player-targeted effect. I guess it can also be a meta call, like if you know someone in your group loves Mindslaver effects, but I think most of the time in most decks there will be other, better cards more deserving of a card slot.
I have 68 active EDH decks, with more in progress. I don't consider this a problem. Do you?
I am also one of those barbarians who enjoys winning by turning creatures sideways.

Dragoon

Post by Dragoon » 3 years ago

I've only played those effects when I wanted to lessen the threat of Tormod's Crypt and friends in my graveyard decks. They weren't stellar then, and they certainly are even less impressive nowadays, with all the global gravehate cards like Ashiok, Dream Render or Soul-Guide Lantern.

3drinks

Sinis wrote:
3 years ago
3drinks wrote:
3 years ago
No Imperial Mask?

I don't think I get fireballed or duressed enough in this format to use any of these. That could change, but, it just doesn't happen enough currently.
I'd say that's different enough in the broad scope of it's execution such that it's role is definitively different (it protects more than you) from the named cards. (and also I forgot about it 👀).

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 3 years ago

I have definitely run some of these in the past. I think Aegis of the Gods in my Karador deck because it was something I could tutor easily and it could protect myself from a lot of GY hate.

Otherwise, it is a good way to thwart a storm player as most storm win conditions target players.

These cards are also a big reason to run Zulaport Cutthroat over Blood Artist.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

NZB2323

Post by NZB2323 » 3 years ago

I cut True Believer from my cleric tribal deck, and don't run Aegis of the Gods in Ghen, Arcanum Weaver.
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

Ruiner

Post by Ruiner » 3 years ago

These are fine cards but really are a meta call. They are fantastic at what they do, and if you expect to see many decks that attack in that way they are certainly useful, but they can also just be a dead card.

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 3 years ago

I run the leyline in a pillowfort build, otherwise it stays in my binder.
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 3 years ago

True Believer effects are pretty high-variance, IMO. Not because the effects aren't relevant - they certainly come up with a fair amount of regularity. My main critique of them is that they aren't consistently able to stop any given effect. If you're concerned about grave hate, they can stop Tormod's Crypt but not Relic of Progenitus. If you're concerned about being burned out, they can stop Comet Storm but not Earthquake. If you're concerned about curses, they can stop those that are targeted, but not if they're reanimated by Replenish. If you're concerned about aristocrats, they can stop Blood Artist but not Zulaport Cutthroat.

As a result, I generally consider these cards to be more speedbumps than actual protection. Certainly reasonable if you see a lot of Emrakul, the Promised End or other targeted effects in your meta, but otherwise I would pass in favor of a more consistent protection effect. Passable as part of a more comprehensive protection package though.

I will call out Sigarda, Heron's Grace as an option in the command zone, and Witchbane Orb and Orbs of Warding as colorless options.

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 3 years ago

I think they are cards that in theory are always better than in actual gameplay. I have Aegis in a Alela deck but with that being said I never played that deck

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 3 years ago

True believer has some dope flavor text at least.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

tempoEDH

Post by tempoEDH » 3 years ago

Rip to Witchbane Orb, unless we were only looking at white cards with that effect.

It's always seemed a little irrelevant, at least in my group. Spells normally end up targeting problematic permanents, not players. Definitely something that could be more or less effective in different pods (in mine, it seems near useless and not worth a slot, in others, it seems like it could be a requirement).
Current Decks:
Alesha, Who Smiles at Death EDH
Karlov of the Ghost Council EDH
Sidisi, Brood Tyrant EDH
Edgar Markov EDH
Emmara, Soul of the Accord EDH
Yarok, the Desecrated EDH
Grenzo, Dungeon Warden EDH
Kalamax (No infinites) EDH
Ghalta EDH
Current Projects:
Sidar Kondo of Jamuraa/Silas Renn, Seeker Adept EDH
Neheb, the Eternal EDH

3drinks

day, April 9th, 2021; Arasta of the Endless Web

Reminds me of Dragonlair Spider tbh.

JWK
Elder Thing

Post by JWK » 3 years ago

Arasta has been solid in my Gahiji token-swarm deck, where she is played alongside Dragonlair Spider , Both can get out of hand pretty quickly if opponents don't use targeted removal or a board wipe in a timely manner. Solid card.
I have 68 active EDH decks, with more in progress. I don't consider this a problem. Do you?
I am also one of those barbarians who enjoys winning by turning creatures sideways.

Sinis

day, April 9th, 2021; Arasta of the Endless Web
If Magecraft oriented decks become super popular, Arasta could make a real splash.

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 3 years ago

I don't have a token based deck anymore but When I was playing Thromok the Insatiable Dragonlair Spider was a midgame MVP, often allowing me to make a very lethal Thromok in a single turn cycle. This would be an auto-include in that deck for sure and I could see including it as a defensive option in many green decks. Certainly a card I need to keep in mind.

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 3 years ago

Can be very useful. Just watch out for wraths.

In the same vein, Heartwood Storyteller.
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

3drinks

Saturday, April 10th, 2021; Chrome Mox

Looks like we got a doozie today...

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 3 years ago

strong ramp card
I don't know what else to say.

I don't like the card disadvantage, but if you have a deck that has a lot of card draw then it is mitigated.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 3 years ago

I like chromie a lot more than mox diamond. Early-game, discarding a land can easily make you miss a drop, rendering diamond worthless. Whereas early you've almost always got a nonland to pitch to chromie. And late-game, when spells are crucial, you just don't play it.

I like it most for cmc 2-3 commanders. Once you get to 4 and can accelerate without losing a card, it's less appealing (though still good).

Tbh Gemstone Mine might be better than either. Pitch anything early, or just play as a land late. But all 3 are very common for low-curve decks for me.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”