[mtgnexus] Random Card of the Day - Rishkar, Peema Renegade

RadiantSophia
Pronoun: she / her

Post by RadiantSophia » 3 years ago

Love this card. Love the cost. Love the effect. Love that it flys. Love that lifelink. But seriously, that art is bad. No. Worse that that. Think "sawdust-flavored" or "sewage-scented". The kind of thing you don't want to think about.

But seriously, I think I'd consider this a staple in any white-containing deck that is hurt less by it than your opponents.

End transmission.

illakunsaa
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by illakunsaa » 3 years ago

I love art. It looks like some weird 90s music album cover.

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison
Pronoun: he / him

Post by 3drinks » 3 years ago

Saturday, March 20th, 2021; Living Plane|leg

A known salty combo card, or actual genuine "fair use"...?
Steel Sabotage'ng Orbs of Mellowness since 2011.

I collect Kaalia of the Vast normal-size cards. Do you have any extra taking up space in your binder? Help me grow my collection! :)

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 3 years ago

If you play this and then play something like Doomwake Giant just please be in a position to win the game. Attacking with 5 1/1s and a 4/6 is not going to end a 4 player game quickly.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 3 years ago

Seems 'k with Craterhoof Behemoth.

But yeah it's probably a lot more effective to use as a way to lock people out of lands with Night of Souls' Betrayal or whatever.

The thing about this card is that, even if you aren't trying to do anything evil with it, it's such an abusable effect that SOMEONE is probably going to be able to ruin the game with it. So there's just no way to play it fairly imo. It's always going to be a bad time.
Last edited by DirkGently 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Wayta - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Eris - Magda - Ghired2 - Xander - Me - Slogurk - Gilraen - Shelob2 - Kellan1 - Leori - Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

MeowZeDung

Post by MeowZeDung » 3 years ago

Part of me has wanted to make a 4 color lands deck with stuff like this and Sylvan Awakening combing off with Jeskai Ascendancy, but I don't think that would feel very fun after the first few times.

Apart from the obvious griefer move of board wiping with this out, I think it would be fair enough to combo it with stuff like Sleep, Niblis of Frost, or whatever.
Kykar primer and other active decks (click!)

Wallycaine

Post by Wallycaine » 3 years ago

DirkGently wrote:
3 years ago
Seems 'k with Craterhoof Behemoth.

But yeah it's probably a lot more effective to use as a way to lock people out of lands with Night of Souls' Betrayal or whatever.

The thing about this card is that, even if you aren't trying to do anything evil with it, it's such an abusable effect that SOMEONE is probably going to be able to ruin the game with it. So there's just no way to play it fairly imo. It's always going to be a bad time.
Yeah, on that last point, even if you're trying to play extremely fair with it (arguably, *especially* if) someone's going to eventually end up in the spot of needing to cast their Wrath of God, which suddenly has an Armageddon strapped to it. If you're especially lucky, it'll be someone who has a plan to win the game quickly after that. If you're not, we get to reenter the grindfest of a game having blown up all the lands in play. If you're especially unlucky, whoever wraths won't hit enchantments, and you'll have to rebuild with the lurking threat of the next board wipe resetting everyone's progress again. And basically the only way to ensure that isn't the case is to try and make it asymmetrical first, which loops back to the "trying to do something evil with it".

3drinks

See also, why you never play Ambush Commander.

I collect Kaalia of the Vast normal-size cards. Do you have any extra taking up space in your binder? Help me grow my collection! :)

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 3 years ago

3drinks wrote:
3 years ago
Saturday, March 20th, 2021; Living Plane|leg

A known salty combo card, or actual genuine "fair use"...?
Similar to other high risk cards like Lich, Living Plane is creates too much vulnerability to be worth it outside of some dedicated combo.

It's too bad, but it is what it is.

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 3 years ago

The problem with Living Plane, as others have said, is that their is no fair use for the card. Almost every deck has some sort of wrath effect or some other way to turn Living Plane into an absolute miserable card without meaning too. It's one thing to build an ******* deck. It's a completely different thing to force others to be *******s.

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 3 years ago

you can trade Living Plane for four Kormus Bells, four Living Lands and like two entire booster boxes of a recent set, probably its strongest feature =P

NZB2323

Post by NZB2323 » 3 years ago

Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 3 years ago

As others have noted, Living Plane is a card that is fairly difficult to play fair. Most of the time, it's going to be used alongside board wipes as a janky Armageddon... and the other times, you're probably running Jeskai Ascendancy or another mass creature untap effect to storm off. Probably the fairest use case I've seen for mass land animation is with Ink-Treader Nephilim to create more targets, but that's hardly a fair use case either. I suppose it can be used alongside Overrun effects for a big attack, but there are other ways to create a bunch of bodies (such as Sylvan Awakening).

Anyway, I put cards like Living Plane, Mycosynth Lattice, and Enchanted Evening in a 'danger!' bucket. It's possible to play them fairly, but they almost always just cause a headache - turning lands into other card types inevitably causes problems. I'll also note that Living Plane causes lands to be affected by summoning sickness, which is somewhat annoying.

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 3 years ago

Combos with Ashaya to make a weird green Urborg.

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 3 years ago

Why I prefer Kamahl, Fist of Krosa. More fair. This enchantment just wants Gaea's Anthem and Night of Souls' Betrayal.
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

illakunsaa

Post by illakunsaa » 3 years ago

Dunharrow wrote:
3 years ago
If you play this and then play something like Doomwake Giant just please be in a position to win the game. Attacking with 5 1/1s and a 4/6 is not going to end a 4 player game quickly.
How it is not? I'm assuming opponents don't have any mana to play their spells and even if they have one mana plays they still gotta wait a turn cycle because their lands have summoning sickness. Allowing living plane player to kill them with another enchantment. Each land played is another attacker which speeds up the clock. If one player concedes that also speeds up the clock. Even if you manage to remove living plane or giant you are still have a massive resource disadvantage to deal with.

Play a lot of decks where my main win condition is a stax soft lock + random creature beats. If anything I enjoy when my opponents choose to torture themselves instead of just conceding.

Wallycaine

Post by Wallycaine » 3 years ago

illakunsaa wrote:
3 years ago
Dunharrow wrote:
3 years ago
How it is not? I'm assuming opponents don't have any mana to play their spells and even if they have one mana plays they still gotta wait a turn cycle because their lands have summoning sickness. Allowing living plane player to kill them with another enchantment. Each land played is another attacker which speeds up the clock. If one player concedes that also speeds up the clock. Even if you manage to remove living plane or giant you are still have a massive resource disadvantage to deal with.

Play a lot of decks where my main win condition is a stax soft lock + random creature beats. If anything I enjoy when my opponents choose to torture themselves instead of just conceding.
Well, that's the exact complaint. At 9 damage a turn (assuming you don't cast stuff), it's a solid 12+ turns to kill the table. There's a pretty significant chance that someone can assemble the pieces to break the lock in that timeframe, so the optimal play is not to concede, but playing through it is miserable. There's also social pressure not to, since each person conceding makes it more difficult for the next to win. Since (hopefully) the point of the game is to have fun together, it doesn't seem an absurd request to me.

3drinks

Sunday, March 21st, 2021; Teferi's Ageless Insight

Really good at winning, or really good at win morning?

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 3 years ago

This and Alhammarret's Archive have never stuck around very long after I cast them (in my cycling deck).

Maybe it's because I cackle and get way too excited when I play them.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

umtiger

Post by umtiger » 3 years ago

Serenade wrote:
3 years ago
This and Alhammarret's Archive have never stuck around very long after I cast them (in my cycling deck).

Maybe it's because I cackle and get way too excited when I play them.
Have you tried also tried Thought Reflection? They can't blow them all up? Lol.

Seeing a 7cmc turn into a 4cmc card is bonkers.

Now you can see how a Toothy deck built with a $20 budget can turn 6 win.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 3 years ago

Much like Alhammarret's Archive, they are utterly dominant if left untouched and therefore something I like to avoid; I tend to like to create dilemmas for people about removing stuff and cards like this are remove-on-sight on a level of Darksteel Forge and Swarm Intelligence and so on.

That said, these two are bananas in some shells, Varina, Lich Queen being the one that springs to mind, and I see why people run them.

The sheer number of these kinds of permanent bombs is an interesting thing about the changing texture of EDH games; the value you get from mana these days. It makes removal a lot more important because people can play a single card and then largely ride it to victory -- whereas back in the old days you had to kinda overcommit to get this far ahead on one card, or spend 7, 8, or 9 mana.

It's kinda like there are now 30 or 40 alternatives to Consecrated Sphinx level of dominance - back in the day if you killed someone's sphinx it was gone, now they can have 10 copies of it in their deck because new value engines just outclass the old stuff so badly.

I'm not sure what to make of it tbh. A lot of the cards are super neat (Sire of Stagnation mmmm) and I kinda like how mana efficient things can be now where you don't need to make 30 mana to win games. I guess it's good and bad.

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 3 years ago

Next time I put together orlo,i'll have to put this in it.
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 3 years ago

It's a pretty great card, from experience. Comes down early enough that if someone wants to get rid of it there's a fair chance they spend a turn doing so, and I personally rate it higher than Alhammarret's Archive for costing less and snipping off the life gain, which is niche in all but a few places.

Is it win more? I guess so, in a lot of places. Where I run it, in Varina, Lich Queen not so much. It turns card filtering into card draw and makes the deck hum exceptionally well. Can recommend, and also really well costed to purchase.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 3 years ago

This and Alhammarret's Archive can be pretty funny with Sylvan Library. Or Brainstorm. Or any looter. Or a wheel.

Make Teferi's Puzzle Box have a point.

People will hate you though.
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

RadiantSophia
Pronoun: she / her

Post by RadiantSophia » 3 years ago

hyalopterouslemur wrote:
3 years ago
Make Teferi's Puzzle Box have a point.

People will hate you though.
You monster!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic