Unreleased and New Card Discussion

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1
Pronoun: he / him

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 2 weeks ago

ilovesaprolings wrote:
2 weeks ago
Honestly i'm really liking the jund theme being the jund shard. I have alway loved it, both tematically and mechanically.
Too bad jund commander are kinda bad or boring and doesn't reflect the shard. Even the new ones we are getting in this deck are incredibly boring and don't really fit the jund theme, especially Gargor.
I'm with you on the love of Jund. I do think Disa, the restless is a pretty good Jund commander though. Ignoring her weird ability to recycle goyfs, just creating up to 3 Tarmogoyfs each combat feels very classic Jund.
Last edited by TheAmericanSpirit 2 weeks ago, edited 1 time in total.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

CommanderMaster999
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 2 weeks ago

There is one thing I'm looking forward too

Gavin mentions he and his team might start finishing dual land cycles/make new land cycles in precons

And I'm sure some of you won't mind this he also asked us if we wouldn't mind some reprints in precons in the form of Godzilla treatment

Also I wonder what the other 4 new cards of the eldrazi precon will do? (We have 11 of the 15 leaked) (and from the new cards that's what the new cards should have been in zhulodok precon in the first place.)

ilovesaprolings

Post by ilovesaprolings » 2 weeks ago

CommanderMaster999 wrote:
2 weeks ago
Gavin mentions he and his team might start finishing dual land cycles/make new land cycles in precons
They already done that with Fallout, this is not gonna happen again so soon
2 weeks ago
And I'm sure some of you won't mind this he also asked us if we wouldn't mind some reprints in precons in the form of Godzilla treatment
And this was about UB, no sense to have "Godzilla skins" in a Modern Horizon product

CommanderMaster999

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 2 weeks ago

ilovesaprolings wrote:
2 weeks ago
2 weeks ago
They already done that with Fallout, this is not gonna happen again so soon
2 weeks ago
And this was about UB, no sense to have "Godzilla skins" in a Modern Horizon product
He literally asked us if we want this to keep going with those land cycles and potentially do the Godzilla reskin

And we all know what the answer will be.

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 2 weeks ago

mnn cancel that and give us every single good land in the Future Sight border >:) please imagine a list of signatures after this comment

PrimevalCommander

Post by PrimevalCommander » 2 weeks ago

Volatile Stormdrake = Fixed Gilded Drake is sure interesting. Steals 4 drops and smaller permanently, but requires more hoops to keep anything bigger. More targeted removal at sorcery speed than actual theft, but can easily steal commanders or utility guys with upside of bouncing for more uses. I usually like to steal big stuff, but I did win a game off a draked Scute Swarm and it was a good time (for me). Holding hostage someones 4mv or less commander is great for .

cheonice
Death to Chronos.

Post by cheonice » 2 weeks ago

PrimevalCommander wrote:
2 weeks ago
Volatile Stormdrake = Fixed Gilded Drake is sure interesting. Steals 4 drops and smaller permanently, but requires more hoops to keep anything bigger. More targeted removal at sorcery speed than actual theft, but can easily steal commanders or utility guys with upside of bouncing for more uses. I usually like to steal big stuff, but I did win a game off a draked Scute Swarm and it was a good time (for me). Holding hostage someones 4mv or less commander is great for .
He looks nice. But hexproof from activated and triggered abilities is suprisingly relevant. Not having the chance to get him back with Sword of Hearth and Home or Eldrazi Displacer is a bummer. Homeward Path is not an option either... Well.

CommanderMaster999

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 1 week ago

Geez how many more leaks are we gonna get?
Unofficial Spoiler Discussion

That alara panorama cycle is now obsolette forever with this safe to assume it's a 10 card cycle. And importantly 1. It's now 0 for the basic fetch instead of 1. And 2. You can cycle the thing late game.

And another risky reprint for the modern format

(1. Urza's Saga and 2. This is easily testable in the Hardened Scales deck.)

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 1 week ago

It would be neat to go back to Alara to get the shards versions of those landscapes. Alara sure loved cycling.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 1 week ago

the cycling makes it way more narrow, can't use it for Titania, Protector of Argoth etc. so panos still have some utility.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

CommanderMaster999

OH MY GOODNESS!!

THERES A SECOND LEAKER!
DirkGently wrote:
1 week ago
the cycling makes it way more narrow, can't use it for Titania, Protector of Argoth etc. so panos still have some utility.
I think that's the whole idea so this likely 10 card cycle it can't be used in commander decks 2-colors or less.

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 1 week ago

now trying to weigh Cayth vs Dynaheir, Invoker Adept as a pair of quirky, high-creature count decks in the same colour combination x3 hey a lot of these cards are intensely pushed, very worrying

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 1 week ago

if The Necrobloom is a real card its an AMAZING card for abzan streategies

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 1 week ago

yeti1069 wrote:
1 week ago
People play the Panoramas? They look awful and the list of better fetch lands is pretty deep..
Worse as fixing but if moving lands between zones is helpful then they still have utility. Especially in stuff like Titania since etbut colorless is great for a mono deck.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

CommanderMaster999

duducrash wrote:
1 week ago
if The Necrobloom is a real card its an AMAZING card for abzan streategies
Yea that's the most broken commander I have ever seen

That turns every land into Dakmor Salvage and with enough different names it's a command zone Field of the Dead

And I will put it this way it's a one card infinite with The Gitrog Monster its a "from anywhere" trigger for the draw so as long as you keep hitting lands you can just dredge your entire deck.

So throw in Syr Konrad, the Grim for damage.
Secondly
Hi Six

You seem a usable with Life from the Loam and Groundskeeper since you give every single nonland card retrace.
Last edited by CommanderMaster999 1 week ago, edited 1 time in total.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 1 week ago

My god, they seem absolutely dead set on invalidating any card not made in the last 5 years.

I really do not understand how you can possibly walk back from the kind of power creep going on.

PrimevalCommander

Post by PrimevalCommander » 1 week ago

DirkGently wrote:
1 week ago
That is utterly annoying. I was getting excited for all of 20 seconds. :unamused:

SPOILER
Show
Hide
The Necrobloom looks pretty strong for several different abzan strategies. I have been looking for card to make some sac fodder but I'm not yet playing Scute Swarm, which makes tokens faster than this. Makes a great landfall commander, but so does Thalia and The Gitrog Monster at the same MV. These colors have gotten some real strong lands creatures lately.

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 1 week ago

PrimevalCommander wrote:
1 week ago
DirkGently wrote:
1 week ago
That is utterly annoying. I was getting excited for all of 20 seconds. :unamused:

SPOILER
Show
Hide
The Necrobloom looks pretty strong for several different abzan strategies. I have been looking for card to make some sac fodder but I'm not yet playing Scute Swarm, which makes tokens faster than this. Makes a great landfall commander, but so does Thalia and The Gitrog Monster at the same MV. These colors have gotten some real strong lands creatures lately.
SPOILER
Show
Hide

EMBRACE TRADITION, PLAY KARADOR. Just have the grindiest possible card in the 99. karador lands is the future, while holding to the past

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 1 week ago

pokken wrote:
1 week ago
My god, they seem absolutely dead set on invalidating any card not made in the last 5 years.

I really do not understand how you can possibly walk back from the kind of power creep going on.
Easy! The next few sets are going to be Homelands-level power!
PrimevalCommander wrote:
1 week ago
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Is...this thing real?!
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

PrimevalCommander

Post by PrimevalCommander » 1 week ago

duducrash wrote:
1 week ago
EMBRACE TRADITION, PLAY KARADOR. Just have the grindiest possible card in the 99. karador lands is the future, while holding to the past
Oh I am fully in the Karador camp. I just am not ready to go full Karador lands since it would compete too much with Titania lands. Though with all these high power abzan lands cards I can probably justify a sub-theme without losing his current identity. Time will tell.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 1 week ago

pokken wrote:
1 week ago

This is the kind of stuff that causes my interest in Magic to fluctuate so wildly. I hope this set tanks...but it won't.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 1 week ago

RxPhantom wrote:
1 week ago
This is the kind of stuff that causes my interest in Magic to fluctuate so wildly. I hope this set tanks...but it won't.
Yeah, it's at the point where almost every new set completely obsoletes a variety of old playstyles and strategies, so if you're playing out in the wild like I often do, you're bombarded with ez-mode stuff that asks game-ending questions on turn 4-5 every turn until the game ends. I'm sure there are elements of this that are just me being an old man yelling at clouds or whatever.

But when every card is Consecrated Sphinx the game is so boring

Every card just does so damned much now.

CommanderMaster999

Alright wizards I'm ready for my Morophon/zhulodok Deck to shoot to the moon in power

Oh by the way how they are previewing them is they switch out older preview cards from the sets with MH3 cards.

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 1 week ago

pokken wrote:
1 week ago
RxPhantom wrote:
1 week ago
Yeah, it's at the point where almost every new set completely obsoletes a variety of old playstyles and strategies, so if you're playing out in the wild like I often do, you're bombarded with ez-mode stuff that asks game-ending questions on turn 4-5 every turn until the game ends. I'm sure there are elements of this that are just me being an old man yelling at clouds or whatever.

But when every card is Consecrated Sphinx the game is so boring

Every card just does so damned much now.
Looking at the most-played cards in MH1, I think the cards in the 99 have generally been benign - Generous Gift, Talisman of Creativity and the rest of its cycle, Hall of Heliod's Generosity, Ephemerate... most of these cards are strong but fair. There may be some (like Echo of Eons, Force of Negation, or Collector Ouphe) that are causing issues in more competitive circles, but that's not as much of an issue in my meta.

In the command zone, on the other hand... Urza, Lord High Artificer, Sisay, Weatherlight Captain, and The First Sliver are all pretty broken and I do not look forward to playing against them. Hogaak, Arisen Necropolis isn't really a thing in EDH, at least.

MH2 is a bit better on that front. Esper Sentinel, Yavimaya, Cradle of Growth, and Urza's Saga are the most-played cards, and I think they're generally fine. Dauthi Voidwalker is obnoxious. Tireless Provisioner and Academy Manufactor have turbo-charged treasure-based decks, which I do think are an issue... but at least they're interesting cards.

In the command zone, I don't think the new MH2 legends were particularly impactful. Ragavan, Nimble Pilferer is a menace in 60-card formats, but less so in EDH. Sythis, Harvest's Hand is probably the most problematic of the bunch, but I see her more in the 99. Chatterfang, Squirrel General and General Ferrous Rokiric are both neat, although it depends on the meta - the former can do obnoxious combo stuff. Lonis, Cryptozoologist is sort of obnoxious (especially with all the clue / artifact token support).

Overall? I think MH1 and MH2 were extremely disruptive to Modern and Legacy... but less so to EDH. There are a few oppressive commanders that have come out of them, but I think they have otherwise been mostly benign. I suspect they're more of a problem in higher-powered metas though - the format tends to be reliant on self-regulation for people to not play the more broken / unfun stuff. There will probably be a period of time of people abusing new broken cards before things normalize.

...if anything, I'm more concerned about the new precon commanders than any cards in the main set. The increased power level of cards in the command zone has contributed significantly more to format power creep than cards in the 99, IMO. Dockside Extortionist may be broken, but at least it doesn't show up in every game.

Other stuff I'm potentially concerned about:
  • any new treasure support
  • generic strong colorless cards that don't cost and show up in a ton of decks
  • free spells
  • the general cost of singles from the set

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”