So you want to play 3 commanders

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional
Pronoun: he / him

Post by DirkGently » 3 years ago

Since the dawn of time, man has dared to dream of having three commanders.

With the release of C16, he took his first step towards that goal, with the dawn of partner. Now, for the first time, he could have not one, but TWO commanders.

Then, with the release of IKO, another great leap forward for all mankind: companion! With companion, he could finally achieve 3 commanders at the same time.

But it was not enough - so many companions couldn't be used, so many color combinations unable to wield the power of the mythical third commander. Plus a lot of the C16 partners were kinda flavorless tbh.

But now, at long last, with the release of commander legends, we have more options than ever, with more possibilities for synergies. But with this brave new frontier, things have gotten far more complicated. What combinations CAN allow for the third commander? Use this as a reference to find out!

Visual reference (credit to @darrenhabib)
Gyruda, Doom of Depths
SPOILER
Show
Hide

Can be partnered with

Obosh, the Preypiercer
SPOILER
Show
Hide

Can be partnered with

-OR-

Can be partnered with

*Please note that The Prismatic Piper feature in both options but obviously can't be duplicated.
Kaheera, the Orphanguard
SPOILER
Show
Hide

Can be partnered with

Lurrus of the Dream-Den
SPOILER
Show
Hide

Can be partnered with

Umori, the Collector
SPOILER
Show
Hide

Can be partnered with

*Please note that The Prismatic Piper, Reyhan, Last of the Abzan, Ikra Shidiqi, the Usurper feature in both options but obviously can't be duplicated.

-OR-

Can be partnered with

-OR-

+

-OR-

+

-OR-

+
Keruga, the Macrosage
SPOILER
Show
Hide

Can be partnered with

-OR-

Can be partnered with the following to get colors outside of Simic ug

-OR-

+

-OR-

+

Zirda, the Dawnwaker
SPOILER
Show
Hide

Can be partnered with

-OR-

+

Yorion, Sky Nomad
Can't be used as a companion.

Jegantha, the Wellspring
Can't be used with any partner combination.

Lutri, the Spellchaser
Banned.
Bonus info - How popular are these partners on EDHrec right now (because for some dumb reason the set tab doesn't match the actual number, and also doesn't sort them which is very annoying)
text version
Show
Hide

can't be used as a companion.

(Eligeth, Crossroads Augur /Brinelin, the Moon Kraken /Esior, Wardwing Familiar /Glacian, Powerstone Engineer /Kydele, Chosen of Kruphix /Ishai, Ojutai Dragonspeaker /Sakashima of a Thousand Faces /Siani, Eye of the Storm /Thrasios, Triton Hero )
+
(Miara, Thorn of the Glade /Nadier, Agent of the Duskenel /Sengir, the Dark Baron /Tormod, the Desecrator )

Vial Smasher the Fierce + any odd partner
or
(Alena, Kessig Trapper /Dargo, the Shipwrecker /Jeska, Thrice Reborn /Kraum, Ludevic's Opus /Ludevic, Necro-Alchemist /Toggo, Goblin Weaponsmith )
+
(Armix, Filigree Thrasher /Falthis, Shadowcat Familiar /Ikra Shidiqi, the Usurper /Keskit, the Flesh Sculptor /Ravos, Soultender /Reyhan, Last of the Abzan /Silas Renn, Seeker Adept /Tevesh Szat, Doom of Fools /Tymna the Weaver )

can't be used with any partner combination

Anara, Wolvid Familiar
+
Prava of the Steel Legion

Miara, Thorn of the Glade
+
(Livio, Oathsworn Sentinel /Keleth, Sunmane Familiar /Akiri, Line-Slinger )

any BG combination except Tevesh Szat, Doom of Fools. Also of note, there is no artifact partner combination; creature is the only type option.

any U+G combination except Thrasios, Triton Hero and Esior, Wardwing Familiar.
or
CMC 3+ Non-UG partners can be used in combination with Kydele, Chosen of Kruphix.
or
Haldan, Avid Arcanist + Pako, Arcane Retriever
or
Cazur, Ruthless Stalker + Ukkima, Stalking Shadow

Banned.

(Alena, Kessig Trapper /Jeska, Thrice Reborn )
+
(Livio, Oathsworn Sentinel /Prava of the Steel Legion /Radiant, Serra Archangel )
or
Brallin, Skyshark Rider + Shabraz, the Skyshark
Last edited by DirkGently 3 years ago, edited 13 times in total.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Wayta - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Eris - Magda - Ghired2 - Xander - Me - Slogurk - Gilraen - Shelob2 - Kellan1 - Leori - Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 3 years ago

I usually tend to shy away from the following: Partners, Companions and PWs as commanders...
So, with that in mind, if i ever were to go for the above, i'd go full <snip> with the following set:

The thought alone sends unpleasant shivers down my spine.
Warning for inappropriate language. - cryo

DirkGently

I think the grossest combination I've thought of is Jeska, Thrice Reborn + Falthis, Shadowcat Familiar + Obosh, the Preypiercer. Play falthis on 3, then jeska, ping 3 creatures for lethal, next turn ping 3 creatures for lethal and replay her to ping 3 more creatures for lethal. Jeska can also make falthis hit like a truck, and with obosh + jeska even falthis' measly 2 power can 2-shot people out of the game with built-in evasion. And GL keeping any blockers alive versus deathtouch jeska LOL....

I kinda really want to make this now.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Eris - Magda - Ghired2 - Xander - Me - Slogurk - Gilraen - Shelob2 - Kellan1 - Leori - Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 3 years ago

I feel like Keruga is the only one I would build around. Would probably do Kydele, Chosen of Kruphix and Kodama of the East Tree. That way I have Ramp (Kydele), Card draw (Keruga), and Power (Kodama) in the command zone.

The CMC greater than 3 is a bit annoying, but I think Kodama would make up for it in the mid-game.

Not sure what you could play turns 1 & 2.Search for Tomorrow?
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

DirkGently

Something that's kind of interesting with a 3-commander setup is that I think you could easily go way heavier on lands than you normally might. You've basically got 3 spells in hand at the start of every game, with the ability to recast 2 of them...that's a lot of places to put your mana. I think I'd default to around 45 lands for a triple-commander setup, since even a 7-lander is potentially keepable whereas a 2-lander is probably kind of a disaster.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 3 years ago

With that Keruga deck...you could run cycling stuff as your early turn plays. Viable to generate/use Kydele mana. Maybe add white for a Slide/Drift deck to get a lot of Keruga uses.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

darrenhabib
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by darrenhabib » 3 years ago

Great work, this is a very nice quick reference. I'm a visual person so have made a version with images instead. Feel free to use it for the original post, I just wanted a reference for myself now and in the future.

I still need to do a Lurrus of the Dream-Den companion deck. I knew I could match up Miara, Thorn of the Glade with the new white partners, but for some reason it slipped my mind I could match up with Akiri, Line-Slinger.
I'll have to think on this but one of the only reasons to run Lurrus as a companion rather than as the commander would be to try and get Red involved somehow. So I'll look at Akiri, Line-Slinger + Miara, Thorn of the Glade

My Obosh, the Preypiercer companion deck I've been running with Vial Smasher the Fierce and Kraum, Ludevic's Opus for a Grixis deck. But it hasn't performed very well so I am looking to change it.
I'm liking the idea of Toggo, Goblin Weaponsmith partnered up with somebody instead. Throwing Rocks for 4 damage seems great. It might be Falthis, Shadowcat Familiar so that you can fling lethal deathtouch Rocks with them as well. But I'll need to really think about the 99 first before I make a decisions on colors.
Images of companions and potential partners pairings
Show
Hide

Gyruda, Doom of Depths

Can be partnered with

Obosh, the Preypiercer

Can be partnered with

-OR-

Can be partnered with

*Please note that The Prismatic Piper feature in both options but obviously can't be duplicated.

Kaheera, the Orphanguard

Can be partnered with

Lurrus of the Dream-Den

Can be partnered with

Umori, the Collector

Can be partnered with

*Please note that The Prismatic Piper, Reyhan, Last of the Abzan, Ikra Shidiqi, the Usurper feature in both options but obviously can't be duplicated.

Keruga, the Macrosage

Can be partnered with

-OR-

Can be partnered with the following to get colors outside of Simic ug

-OR-

+

-OR-

+

Zirda, the Dawnwaker

Can be partnered with

-OR-

+

Yorion, Sky Nomad
Can't be used as a companion.

Jegantha, the Wellspring
Can't be used with any partner combination.

Lutri, the Spellchaser
Banned.

DirkGently

That's great actually, thanks for doing that. I've put it in spoilers up in the OP. Dammit, you're always so much better at making stuff visually appealing than I am, lol.

Somehow I forgot Thrasios as a blue option for Gyruda, so I've added that to both references.

EDIT: also added the full list of options for Umori, god help me.

EDIT: moved stuff into spoilers and made the main mode the picture version. Also added a list of the new partners by popularity and EDHrec count, since EDHrec's page isn't working properly and I wanted the information (it's in a spoiler down at the bottom, and no I'm not planning on updating it).
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 3 years ago

darrenhabib wrote:
3 years ago
I'm liking the idea of Toggo, Goblin Weaponsmith partnered up with somebody instead. Throwing Rocks for 4 damage seems great. It might be Falthis, Shadowcat Familiar so that you can fling lethal deathtouch Rocks with them as well.
This is the kind of content I come here for.
Steel Sabotage'ng Orbs of Mellowness since 2011.

I collect Kaalia of the Vast normal-size cards. Do you have any extra taking up space in your binder? Help me grow my collection! :)

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 3 years ago

Beautiful work! I am now tempted to build some sort of token-based monstrosity with Kaheera, Ayara, and Prava. Wolfbriar Elemental is a 5/5 Vigilance with "multikicker: make a horde of 3/6 tokens". It'd probably be a bit land-fally, since Felidar Retreat and Rampaging Baloths make such monstrous tokens with the trio out. "Prava's Wildlife Preserve" - it would be bad, but it sounds really fun.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”