Ways to reduce Encore/Embalm/Eternalize (besides Convergence of Dominion)

kraus911
Pronoun: he / him

Post by kraus911 » 1 year ago

I like Encore as a mechanic, and want to use it in my Soundwave, Sonic Spy // Soundwave, Superior Captain deck, but it's kind of a nerfed mechanic because of the steep activation cost.

Been searching around on scryfall, and I know about Convergence of Dominion, but that's the only way I can see of reducing activated ability costs in the graveyard. Looking for any out of the box ways to reduce costs and make the mechanic more useable.

Mookie
Answers: 48
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 1 year ago

Zirda, the Dawnwaker and Embalmer's Tools look to be the two other options. There aren't that many cards with activated abilities in graveyards, so reducing those costs is a somewhat niche effect. Beyond those, I would consider Lithoform Engine and Rings of Brighthearth (also Dynaheir, Invoker Adept in Jeskai) - they don't reduce the cost, but they do let you get extra value from those abilities.

Dragonlover

Post by Dragonlover » 1 year ago

Training Grounds is the classic, but might be pricy at the moment?

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 1 year ago

Dragonlover wrote:
1 year ago
Training Grounds is the classic, but might be pricy at the moment?

Dragonlover
Training Ground will not work, it affects only creatures you control on the battlefield, not creature cards in the graveyard.
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 1 year ago

Other than Training Grounds which will not work, Heartstone doesn't have the "you control" wording, but is an obvious gamble.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 1 year ago

@Toshi heartstone doesn't work either. Creatures are only creatures on the battlefield. In all other zones, they're creature CARDS. Peep the wording on Embalmer's Tools.

They are still activated abilities though so Zirda works - not that it matters in esper. Tools is just about it I think.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 1 year ago

DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
@Toshi heartstone doesn't work either. Creatures are only creatures on the battlefield. In all other zones, they're creature CARDS.
Damn. You're right!

An alternative would be playing all the things that add and store mana, creature Treasures and Powerstones, i guess.

When built around it - e.g. with all 9 artifact lands available - Blinkmoth Urn can be brutal.
Black Market is a classic. ...

kraus911

Thanks for the ideas. Somehow I'd missed Embalmer's Tools so that's an easy include. I think @Toshi your idea might be the best, just include ways to gather and produce mana. I don't foresee activating any of the gy abilities early game so there'd be time to get counters on something like Black market. I've always shied away from the unpredictability of Blinkmoth Urn giving my opponents more benefit than me, but you're right, with the artifact lands its reliability improves.

I'm already including token doublers to make max use of the ability. Could throw in Sundial of the Infinite to keep the fruits of my mana.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 1 year ago

The best approach to this is probably to ramp hard, unfortunately.

kraus911

Okay, different approach. What ways are there to generate mana using the gy as a resource. Let's assume I'm milling a bunch to get my encore/eternalize type cards in the gy, so it'll be pretty full of fodder.

(edit) Found Songs of the Damned as a decent option so far.

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 1 year ago

Crypt of Agadeem is a reusable option.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 1 year ago

In Esper, my go to is the Brought Back Cosmic Intervention fetchland package but that can be pretty cost prohibitive. Less so these days tho :)

I do like Crypt of Agadeem in my Varina deck.

Blink spells and Palinchron type duders also can do some work in esper, but not sure how that works with your theme.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”