Karlach as an Inspiring Leader?

Boros_Blendo
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Boros_Blendo » 1 month ago

I was looking for cards in the Battle for Baldur's Gate Commander set, and explored what the background thing is all about. After looking through most and being like "meh", I found Inspiring Leader. So, white is a good starting point, but wanted a second color. Then, I saw Karlach, and it was if the clouds opened, and the sky said "BOROS!!!"

So, it would have a strong token theme with highly buffed attacks (like from Nobilis of War, even old, standbys like Army of Allah and Jihad or new ones like Flowering of the White Tree, or Shared Animosity and Mirror Entity) to play off of Karlach's attack twice a turn. Cards like Rise of the Hobgoblins, Forth Eorlingas!, Wildfire Awakener, and Assemble the Legion, even stuff like Finale of Glory and Riders of Rohan, Descent of the Dragons and Deploy to the Front, Devout Invocation, etc, Balefire Liege favors assorted Boros-colored critters to couple as beaters alongside the tokens, and I'd want some of those anyways because Boros has some really fun critters. Lots of life gain, control options, and aggression out the wazoo, plus a decent amount of card draw available. Hmmm...what else would I want to put in there? Equipment that pumps one or more bigs, a card like Horn of Valhalla, would certainly help. Skullclamp, plus a card like Sword of the Paruns, a couple protection equipments to give Karlach hexproof, Moonshaker Cavalry and Hour of Reckoning. Effects that make my critters indestructible like Boros Charm, Flawless Maneuver...yes, this could fill pretty fast.

Replenishing the hand would be the biggest challenge, but I know white has some decent tech even if other colors do it better, but there are also artifacts. What else should I consider?

Tags:

Boros_Blendo

Oops, scratch the Jihad. I traded my ancient play set to my friend when they were only $60 apiece, now they are $350?! Sheesh! But there are plenty of Boros buffs, so budget we go! Lol...

Ooo, and don't forget Theros gods like Purphoros, God of the Forge and Heliod, God of the Sun. Dang, this deck is practically half-designed and I haven't even started filling anything out...

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 1 month ago

Jihad is banned anyway, so don't spend $350 on it lol.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Boros_Blendo

DirkGently wrote:
1 month ago
Jihad is banned anyway, so don't spend $350 on it lol.
I hadn't even guessed. :rofl:

Henlock
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Henlock » 1 month ago

All this chat about Heliod, Purphoros, Nobilis of War and even Rise of the Hobgoblins got me thinking in ways to exploit devotion. Blade Historian is the first guy that came to mind, but then we have Iroas, God of Victory, our Satyr-spitting Anax, Hardened in the Forge and the pair of Reverent Hoplite and Evangel of Heliod that can make a nice bunch of tokens. Balefire Liege looks like it could join the devotion party.
Not sure if it's enough of a package but seems like something fun enough to try.

MAGUSZANIN

Post by MAGUSZANIN » 1 month ago

The recent Boros Phyrexia precon had some banger cards for this, with Neyali, Suns' Vanguard being a draw engine that can impulse draw up to 6 cards per turn with your 2 combats, and also give your token army double strike.

Otharri, Suns' Glory can make 1 token on the first attack, then 2 more on the second, and those tokens are tapped and attacking 4/4s with Inspiring Leader in play. If this survives to untap you will dump 3 more 4/4s into play on the first combat and 4 more on the second, even without token doubling or other buffs.

Loyal Apprentice makes hasty fliers twice a turn.

This brew might even make Silverwing Squadron a worthwhile card. Probably not though.

Boros_Blendo

MAGUSZANIN wrote:
1 month ago
The recent Boros Phyrexia precon had some banger cards for this, with Neyali, Suns' Vanguard being a draw engine that can impulse draw up to 6 cards per turn with your 2 combats, and also give your token army double strike.

Otharri, Suns' Glory can make 1 token on the first attack, then 2 more on the second, and those tokens are tapped and attacking 4/4s with Inspiring Leader in play. If this survives to untap you will dump 3 more 4/4s into play on the first combat and 4 more on the second, even without token doubling or other buffs.

Loyal Apprentice makes hasty fliers twice a turn.

This brew might even make Silverwing Squadron a worthwhile card. Probably not though.
Rock on, thank you for the most-excellent suggestions, they all look like good options for the 98. Neyali is already in my Naya-colored Dune edh. But Otharri, I had not seen before. And Silverwing Squadron, while not goodstuff level, is just the kind of critter that will use the tokens quite well. We are tending now to play edh where 2-4 tokens will be created each turn from that creature, so if there are two attacks involved, I'll just get more of them. And 2/2 base tokens are even better. Cheers.

Henlock
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Henlock » 1 month ago

I got inspired by this and set myself to build a boros deck with a devotion package. I settled for Duke Ulder Ravengard as my commander but before that I was actually considering Karlach and Inspired leader as I made the deck centered on token copies. So, first of all, thanks for all the Boros XD

But what I am actually here for is to tell you I realized Captain Rex Nebula can turn inspiring leader into a vehicle and crew it into a creature, doubling the Inspiring Leader bonus to +4/+4!Now, Is this good? Not sure, but Is it cool? Oh, yeah it is XD

Boros_Blendo

Henlock wrote:
1 month ago
I got inspired by this and set myself to build a boros deck with a devotion package. I settled for Duke Ulder Ravengard as my commander but before that I was actually considering Karlach and Inspired leader as I made the deck centered on token copies. So, first of all, thanks for all the Boros XD

But what I am actually here for is to tell you I realized it Captain Rex Nebula can turn inspiring leader into a vehicle and crew it into a creature, doubling the Inspiring Leader bonus to +4/+4!Now, Is this good? Not sure, but Is it cool? Oh, yeah it is XD
The Duke is legit, though I really don't know how impactful, how regularly, myriad is. But helming a Commander deck with an Un card? That schizz is ballsy if you do it. Not personally sold on a legendary enchantment dying to a lightning bolt, but it would certainly be talked about! :rofl: Even more if it crash lands.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”