Unreleased and New Card Discussion

toctheyounger
Pronoun: he / him

Post by toctheyounger » 1 year ago

DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
toctheyounger wrote:
1 year ago
I just read the flavor text on Tranquil Cove. Sounds like the whole pantheon could well be dripping in oil.
Lots of interesting info in the lands' flavour texts. My favourite has to be Bloodfell Caves|MOM though. Is this whole thing just because Elesh Norn really wants to get high? Are you doing okay Elesh buddy?

I̭̗͑͟ ̧̬̙͙̩ͩͦ̚w̥̹̎̂͠i̴̬̭̗͉̘̹̾l̵͈̦͓̳̳̲̙̆̃͌̽l̢͎̣̭̤̘͈̔̄ ̲͓̎͝s̢̠̞̞̲̣͍ͤͬn͙͍͔̝̼̤̪ͯ̿̀͡ȯ̷̯͇ͧr̸̭̭̰̜̼̣̫̱ͪ̎̄ͫt̗̬̬ͤ͗̐́ ̞̺̰̜̞̪͗̕a͇̫̼͈̗̾͌̆̉́l̜̯̲͚͙͉̤̦̀̚l̢̤͇͔̳̥̒̋ ̧̣͇̯͚͛͒̃̚t͔̝͚͇̹ͧ̐͟h̬̻̱̬̫͚̪̊̍͆͋̀e̖̣͓̝̼ͭͩ̆͜ ͖̪͈̭͚̾̊͠ͅc̠̦̰̝͔͂̕o͐ͤ̎̏҉̻͚̠k̛̯̱̙̬̘̺̥̘ͦ̆̃ę̬̫̔̍͂̂ ̟̭̰͙̀̒́i̸̗͈̬̪͖̠̜ͯ̀ͮ̌n̡͔͉͖̮͗ͮ ̴̖͈̺̥̼͔̆P̥̭̞̟̖͙̘ͬ̾͝h̢̯̰̎̈̀y̼̞̮͚͌̄̋̀͞r̡͉̬̼͙̞ͪͅe̴̜̰ͧ̑̀x̆̐ͧ̋͏͍͚̥i̙͇̪̜̣̹̦̰ͭ̀a̵̺̩̋ͩ
Her grip is slipping man. The more time goes on the more she looks like Dr Rockso the rock n roll clown.

(I don't care if that reference is lost on the masses I'm sticking to it lol)
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 1 year ago

I DO COCAAAAAINE

toctheyounger

TheGildedGoose wrote:
1 year ago
toctheyounger wrote:
1 year ago
Dr Rockso the rock n roll clown
What is Goose's Halloween costume circa 2009?
Hey man you know how it is, pics or it didn't happen.

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 1 year ago

toctheyounger wrote:
1 year ago
TheGildedGoose wrote:
1 year ago
toctheyounger wrote:
1 year ago
Dr Rockso the rock n roll clown
What is Goose's Halloween costume circa 2009?
Hey man you know how it is, pics or it didn't happen.
A friend might have some, I think it was the year he went as Zombie Jesus? Those days are a smokey haze for me.

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 1 year ago

yo i heard you all like commander reprints

https://magic.wizards.com/en/news/annou ... ust-4-2023

The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 1 year ago

Hermes_ wrote:
1 year ago
I do not.

Wonder if it's going to be draftable, and if so as a normal set or a commander legends-style draft. Probably the latter?
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 1 year ago

Hermes_ wrote:
1 year ago
I do if they're good! The Ur-Dragon and Jeweled Lotus are a start, but what we really need is the Ikoria "free if you control your commander" cycle getting a reprint at rare. Flawless Maneuver's reprint really helped; my fear is that because of what Deflecting Swat and Fierce Guardianship are currently going for they're all getting reprinted at Mythic. Also sorta hoping we see reprints of Shocks or Fetches instead of Battlebond-style lands, but I'm not holding my breath. Box art is showing Ghoulcaller Gisa and Zacama, Primal Calamity so that's a little less exciting.

But the set is a mix of reprints and all-new cards, and that's sorta concerning. I do like that the precons coming with it include Colorless Eldrazi and 5-C Slivers; that's super fun at least. Also very interested to see Jeskai Superfriends as a precon.

5colorsrainbow
Answers: 1

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 1 year ago

DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
Hermes_ wrote:
1 year ago
I do not.

Wonder if it's going to be draftable, and if so as a normal set or a commander legends-style draft. Probably the latter?
It's draftable and will be comparable to Comamnder legends sets but it will have a "twist" to it.
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 1 year ago

DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
Hermes_ wrote:
1 year ago
I do not.
Not everyone has every card they want :P
I may honestly pre-order all of the persons for this.
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 1 year ago

5colorsrainbow wrote:
1 year ago
DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
Hermes_ wrote:
1 year ago
I do not.

It's draftable and will be comparable to Comamnder legends sets but it will have a "twist" to it.
Apparently a few other details that were in stream or that nerds on Reddit helped confirm for me:

- The main set is 100% reprints; the "new cards" refers to the fact that there are the standard 10 all-new cards in the precons, and presumably those new cards also appear with special treatments in Set Boosters. But Draft Boosters are 100% reprints. (I do wonder if that means we should expect The Prismatic Piper + the full legion of partners??? Or if we're drafting a normal 40 card deck but with battlecruiser nonsense?

- Bah Gawd, is that Commodore Guff on the Jeskai precon?

kraus911

Post by kraus911 » 1 year ago

Venedrex wrote:
1 year ago
benjameenbear wrote:
1 year ago
DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago

Lots of interesting info in the lands' flavour texts. My favourite has to be Bloodfell Caves|MOM though. Is this whole thing just because Elesh Norn really wants to get high? Are you doing okay Elesh buddy?

I̭̗͑͟ ̧̬̙͙̩ͩͦ̚w̥̹̎̂͠i̴̬̭̗͉̘̹̾l̵͈̦͓̳̳̲̙̆̃͌̽l̢͎̣̭̤̘͈̔̄ ̲͓̎͝s̢̠̞̞̲̣͍ͤͬn͙͍͔̝̼̤̪ͯ̿̀͡ȯ̷̯͇ͧr̸̭̭̰̜̼̣̫̱ͪ̎̄ͫt̗̬̬ͤ͗̐́ ̞̺̰̜̞̪͗̕a͇̫̼͈̗̾͌̆̉́l̜̯̲͚͙͉̤̦̀̚l̢̤͇͔̳̥̒̋ ̧̣͇̯͚͛͒̃̚t͔̝͚͇̹ͧ̐͟h̬̻̱̬̫͚̪̊̍͆͋̀e̖̣͓̝̼ͭͩ̆͜ ͖̪͈̭͚̾̊͠ͅc̠̦̰̝͔͂̕o͐ͤ̎̏҉̻͚̠k̛̯̱̙̬̘̺̥̘ͦ̆̃ę̬̫̔̍͂̂ ̟̭̰͙̀̒́i̸̗͈̬̪͖̠̜ͯ̀ͮ̌n̡͔͉͖̮͗ͮ ̴̖͈̺̥̼͔̆P̥̭̞̟̖͙̘ͬ̾͝h̢̯̰̎̈̀y̼̞̮͚͌̄̋̀͞r̡͉̬̼͙̞ͪͅe̴̜̰ͧ̑̀x̆̐ͧ̋͏͍͚̥i̙͇̪̜̣̹̦̰ͭ̀a̵̺̩̋ͩ
LOL. Halo is my least favorite plot device that's been created by the WOTC story team. Like, wtf is this supposed to do? And why do we even care that Capenna is the only place for this stuff? Can't we extract the essence of Angels in pretty much any plane ever?
Lol, sir, Wotc needs a tool to undo all the glistening oil in the multiverse in one fell swoop. So either, Chandra going nuclear, or Elspeth going nuclear with her newfound abilities or both, purging the multiverse of oil. Sorry America. Then Tyvar punches the now awkwardly weak Phyrexians in the face and we go to Eldraine. That's a wrap everyone. Without the oil, all pws who were infected either still keep their metal bodies or are restored because we actually kind of need our main characters. Yeah that halo, everyone is going to get a taste. That sounded weird, um, don't bring red solo cups to the prerelease *nervous corporate laughter*.

Oh, almost forgot, Urabrask is the new Ugin for the Phyrexians, and he rules over the now unoiled ones promising to keep them under control in the medit... I mean New Phyreixa. See you in 30 sets when we want more phyrexia sales. Did I do it right?

I know, storytelling like this is hard to find. I would expect nothing less from our brilliant Wotc. But, we still will kill one of the big ones for real so we have stakes. So, Jace, Chandra, Nissa, Elspeth, you are in line for a noble sacrifice.
This hot take is actually luke warm enough to be accurate. Unfortunately in storytelling like this they need a boom it's fixed button, like in War of the Spark with Garruk and Liliana against Bolas. And sacrificing main characters for a boom it's fixed moment is a great way to end an Avengers movie, I mean the Phyrexian problem.

TheTuna
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by TheTuna » 1 year ago

Resplendent Angel reprint or bust!
Current Commander Decks
Show
Hide
Giada, Rigo, Marchesa Knights, Liesa, Shroud of Dusk, Mangara, the Diplomat, Council of Four, Djeru mono-W Superfriends, Ashnod, Flesh Mechanist, Tasha

toctheyounger

kraus911 wrote:
1 year ago
This hot take is actually luke warm enough to be accurate. Unfortunately in storytelling like this they need a boom it's fixed button, like in War of the Spark with Garruk and Liliana against Bolas. And sacrificing main characters for a boom it's fixed moment is a great way to end an Avengers movie, I mean the Phyrexian problem.
Honestly it's just as likely Teferi does some time bs and makes the whole thing like it never happened. I pray to every god that doesn't happen, but it very well could. And it would suuuuck.

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 1 year ago

TheGildedGoose wrote:
1 year ago
DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
Hermes_ wrote:
1 year ago
I do not.
Eat the rich.

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 1 year ago

Is it me, or is Abzan getting a lot of love this year? Ixhel, Vishgraz, lady on a giant toad, and now Abzan Enchantments. Abzan players eating good, and with variety too!
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 1 year ago

Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
1 year ago
Is it me, or is Abzan getting a lot of love this year? Ixhel, Vishgraz, lady on a giant toad, and now Abzan Enchantments. Abzan players eating good, and with variety too!
Azban has been eating well. But most of that is probably coincidence as Ixhel and Vishgraz were made due to Azban being the poison colors, while Thalia and The Gitrog Monster had to be the colors they are. And Azban Enchantment commander is really just low hanging fruit that has been needed to be made for years now.

Sporegorger_Dragon

Guardman wrote:
1 year ago
But most of that is probably coincidence as Ixhel and Vishgraz were made due to Azban being the poison colors
I have a theory Ixhel was originally meant to be Sultai, so that with Vishgaz the pair represents all of Atraxa's four colors.

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2

Post by Venedrex » 1 year ago

Hey, I say bring it on. Abzan has been hungry for interesting commanders since forever. For the longest time, their were cool archetypes that you might want to do, but no one to lead them. Lands? Whos your commander? Enchantments, you could do partners but it isn't the same. Abzan has had slim pickings for commanders for a while now. Things have gotten better, but a good chunk of the most popular Abzan commanders came out fairly recently. Ikoria brought 3, One has almost brought 2 , Commander Legends brought 1. and Cl2 brought 1 more.

Especially when you compare Abzan to other Shards/Wedges.

Grixis sneezes and Wotc gives them a new commander. Jeskai coughs and they get two more commanders.
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 1 year ago

I recently added an Abzan enchantress theme to my (heavily multicolor) cube and was somewhat disappointed by the fact that the only on-theme card in those colors is Myrkul, Lord of Bones. Myrkul is... not so great in cube, so I'm certainly happy to hear that we're actually getting some actual legends in those colors.

...I'm more ambivalent about the other precons, since slivers and superfriends don't particularly appeal to me, but I do recognize them as popular tribes. Eldrazi precon is... an interesting choice. I'll be thrilled if it includes any of the more expensive ones (especially Kozilek, Butcher of Truth or Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre), but I'd also be sort of surprised if they included that many annihilator cards.

...now I want to speculate about what new commander they would print for an Eldrazi deck - I feel like the two routes are 'do a new version of an existing titan' and 'reveal a previously unknown titan'. New version of Ulamog / Kozilek feels a bit weird when they're both dead, but I suppose we could have an 'Emrakul on the moon' card. Otherwise, a new Eldrazi (titan or otherwise named) would have a bunch of lore implications. Hmmm.... could just do a more generic 'colorless matters' card, I suppose.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 1 year ago

TheGildedGoose wrote:
1 year ago
Eat the rich.
My primary dislike is that I don't like drafting reprint sets, and they take cycles away from the standard draft set.

I don't care that much about random $50 cards tanking value. As long as they're not reprinting reserved list stuff, I still have a golden parachute in case flight training drags on longer than expected.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

benjameenbear

Post by benjameenbear » 1 year ago

Venedrex wrote:
1 year ago

Lol, sir, Wotc needs a tool to undo all the glistening oil in the multiverse in one fell swoop. So either, Chandra going nuclear, or Elspeth going nuclear with her newfound abilities or both, purging the multiverse of oil. Sorry America. Then Tyvar punches the now awkwardly weak Phyrexians in the face and we go to Eldraine. That's a wrap everyone. Without the oil, all pws who were infected either still keep their metal bodies or are restored because we actually kind of need our main characters. Yeah that halo, everyone is going to get a taste. That sounded weird, um, don't bring red solo cups to the prerelease *nervous corporate laughter*.

Oh, almost forgot, Urabrask is the new Ugin for the Phyrexians, and he rules over the now unoiled ones promising to keep them under control in the medit... I mean New Phyreixa. See you in 30 sets when we want more phyrexia sales. Did I do it right?

I know, storytelling like this is hard to find. I would expect nothing less from our brilliant Wotc. But, we still will kill one of the big ones for real so we have stakes. So, Jace, Chandra, Nissa, Elspeth, you are in line for a noble sacrifice.
From WOTC's perspective, they'd probably hire you on the spot. Hell, you might have even guessed their entire end-game. The only thing I'm surprised you missed is the reincarnation of Yawgmoth because new plot device/antagonist (even though he was obliterated by the Weatherlight and pure white mana. The blueprint for his rebirth was in the oil all along).

Sporegorger_Dragon

Mookie wrote:
1 year ago
...now I want to speculate about what new commander they would print for an Eldrazi deck - I feel like the two routes are 'do a new version of an existing titan' and 'reveal a previously unknown titan'.
The easiest would be a version of one of the titans pre-imprisonment on Zendikar.

Either that, or a card named Kozilek, Ulamog, Emrakul or They Came As Three.

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 1 year ago

Maybe goofy stuff like those pre-imprisonment Titans flip to sagas (like the new Jin-Gitaxias // The Great Synthesis) that reflect the stories that arose from Emeria/Cosi/Ula. (Or maybe the other way around.)

"Enduring" GWB enchantress? Sounds like some good recursion (good), but maybe, just maybe, we'll get a sac outlet for enchantments (dangerous) or another Femeref Enchantress variant (very welcome).
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”