Top 5 Current Commander Concerns or have another freak out over Sheldon's thoughts

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional
Pronoun: he / him

Post by DirkGently » 2 years ago

3drinks wrote:
2 years ago
It's more just out of experience. When I warn the table about the Urza deck, or and especially about the Edric deck "hey, if we don't band together to knock this person out, they're going to run away with the game". That falls on deaf ears and they do their own thing and, surprise surprise, they run away with the game with all those crazy extra resources. "It's only Edric, how bad can it be to draw a couple extra cards a turn? I want to draw a card as well!" You hear this time after time after time and you shake your head because you know that's not how it works and their own woeful ignorance is going to turn this game into a non-game. You can't beat those decks on your own, especially with players like that (and don't kid yourself, there's always that one player at the table) so you need some help. You leverage some powerful hate to stop the game from spiraling out of control. Make that Urza deck squirm under the pressure of a Null Rod/Cursed Totem + Scald. Make the Edric deck cry under a Lightmine Field/Powerstone Minefield.
I've certainly had plenty of games like that, where one deck is significantly more dangerous than the others and they can definitely be a difficult beast. That said I've generally had success in nudging people towards pressuring those players. Not sure what the difference is there - could be the other players, the deck I'm playing, the way I'm nudging, hard to be sure. If I was going to take a guess, perhaps the bigger difference is that I often play decks that conceal their plans and strength to keep myself out of the spotlight, which makes it much easier to direct people to fight other players. By contrast, that could be pretty tough if you've been dropping bombs into play off Kaalia. People are probably a lot more likely to see you directing them towards the potential future threats of other players as a misdirection to keep the heat away from yourself, rather than genuine advice. I like playing aggro decks too, but there's a certain amount of licks you can expect to take politically.
When you're already on the Retribution of the Meek plan, the Citywide Bust, Meekstone, Marble Titan, you need more. Those are four cards, which makes up just 4% of a 100 card deck. You might not even see them, so you look for redundancy. Of course you have a dearth of universal tutours, but then you have that crowd. You know the one. The ones that screech and reeeee about how TuToUrS aRe AgAiNsT tHe SpIrIt Of ThE fOrMaT from the top of their twenty-seven lands and a mana reflection that what they're doing is cool but your not, because you're the one person trying to stop them.
Although I see them online, I haven't really run into anyone who was upset with tutors irl. Even when they maybe should have been, lol. Sunforger goes brrr.

There's other ones too that might fit the bill - dawn/dusk maybe, austere command...idk, there are a lot of options relatively speaking. Even something like Insurrection, Mob Rule, Regna's Sanction, hell even Dawnglare Invoker. Not to mention freaking Ruinous Ultimatum. Eff it, Glory in the bin can get you past blockers in a pinch too. There are a ton of options here, I think you'll see them if you look outside the box a little. And most of them have more interesting play patterns than perish (well, maybe not ultimatum lol, that card is dumb), and which will be more widely useful too.
The real problem is there's always that one player that joins the pickup game with their Yuriko Ad Naus deck, Golos, etc. People don't "waste" time talking, they just ask "do you have commander? let's play." And then you have that person with the Ruric Thar Ogre Tribal deck that never saw the fully optimized Najeela deck that completely steamrolls the table. Typically the Najeela pilot is friends with the Yuriko pilot, and they worked in tandem to ensure one of them wins...
It's a bit hard for me to comment here because this really just doesn't match my experience at all. Yes, sometimes people have decks which are too powerful for the table, but the number of times a true cEDH deck has sat down and played at my table without warning is few and far between. Let alone players conspiring - usually if that happens (and to be clear, by conspiring I mean they're allied beyond what normal threat assessment would suggest) they're relatively weak and inexperienced players who don't really get the ins and outs of the format.

The main thing I've learned, I suppose, is just to pack a decent amount of instant-speed interaction, learn what to watch out for (which you probably already know), and talk. Talk a lot. When someone plays a powerful card or a combo piece, I'll usually say something like "uh oh, that's spooky" or whatever. Make sure people are aware of the threats going on, especially when that awareness is an advantage to you (or maybe always, depending on whether you're in "coaching the newbie" mode). Don't get angry about it, just acknowledge it and make sure everyone has their eyes open.

"Ooh, Najeela, that's a *swallows bile* cool commander. Definitely really powerful, though, I've got my eye on you. *checks to make sure the other players are listening* Especially with all those infinite combos she can do..."

Generally I try to avoid being TOO heavy-handed - "you should have swung that two damage at him! His commander is a half-tier higher on the official cEDH power rankings!" - but if I think someone is making a big and obvious mistake (which hurts me ofc ;) ) and is open to advice, I might try to convince them to change their play. For example, playing a 3p game with a newbie against a Niv deck, he went to kill my Mavinda, Students' Advocate (commander) when I was hideously mana screwed and basically floundering. I told him he could do that if he wanted, but niv was going to be a huge problem and he was probably going to want to make sure he had removal for that since I wasn't much of a threat at the moment, even though my commander was on the field first (especially since Niv was likely to have counterspells). He saw that I was right and chose to hold the removal. But if he was bound and determined to make a mistake, I wouldn't press any harder. But if the Niv player got out of control, I might mention at the end that having removal for Niv might have made a big difference.
It's a different mindset when you've had a deck (or any personal possession stolen from you). It changes you, and yeah you do become more distrustful of people's motives. You start to wonder "who's next" and you become guarded. It's entirely psychological because you don't want to go through that again. Back in 2012, what was supposed to be the final night at my LGS in Phoenix, my Kaalia was stolen. This was my farewell to the shop as I moved up north, and this wasn't even a full year after I had primerized the deck back @ mtgsally. It was hot, it was my pride and joy, and even though the deck was far different to how it looks now, it broke me. I was devastated to lose something I cared for so much and poured so much time and love into. Even though when I got up here, a couple users on sally had reached out and sent me cards to rebuild the deck, it didn't erase what had happened. And I had sworn to never let myself go through that again. Imagine for a moment, if someone had swiped your prized Phelddagrif deck, all the emotions that went into it's building, the money and the sweat equity that went into building, writing the primer, how would that make you feel? How would that shape your future?

Don't say it wouldn't. You talk about that deck way too much to feel indifferent. That deck is your Kaalia.
What you're talking about is totally understandable, and I get why that would shake you up. But I do think you'll be better off long-term if you try to work to escape that fear. Playing with proxies is a smart idea for minimizing risk, but being unwilling to bring a few extra decks to better match power levels, and looking for thieves around every corner, sounds like it's probably starting to cut into your and others enjoyment of the game. When that happens, I think the thief stole something more important from you than pieces of cardboard. But at least it's something you can work to get back, given time. Just my two cents.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

JWK
Elder Thing

Post by JWK » 2 years ago

pokken wrote:
2 years ago
TheGildedGoose wrote:
2 years ago
My Erebos deck is far from cEDH but is highly tuned regardless, and my ability to pilot it is very high, so there are times I just roll over my opponents. I usually apologize, because I know it can't be fun for them.
People these days have such ridiculously short deck attention spans that it feels like everyone I play against is in the process of learning to play their deck all the time. Lots of indecision, don't remember what's in there, don't realize their path to victory, etc.

Part of me wonders if a lot of the problems people have in Commander relate to not really knowing how to play their deck because they change them so often or don't get enough reps. And another part of me wonders if maybe that constant flux is what keeps commander feeling fresh.

Back in the day when I had an established meta things did get kinda inbred quickly as we played the same decks over and over against each other :P
I maintain and play a lot of different decks, rarely playing the same one two games in a row, both because I get bored playing the same deck over and over and also because I like to keep things unpredictable. It's hard for even regular opponents to know what's in your deck when it might be weeks since they last encountered that deck.
I have 68 active EDH decks, with more in progress. I don't consider this a problem. Do you?
I am also one of those barbarians who enjoys winning by turning creatures sideways.

umtiger
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by umtiger » 2 years ago

pokken wrote:
2 years ago
People these days have such ridiculously short deck attention spans that it feels like everyone I play against is in the process of learning to play their deck all the time. Lots of indecision, don't remember what's in there, don't realize their path to victory, etc.

Part of me wonders if a lot of the problems people have in Commander relate to not really knowing how to play their deck because they change them so often or don't get enough reps. And another part of me wonders if maybe that constant flux is what keeps commander feeling fresh.
Getting reps in with the same deck versus the same opponents' decks is something that competitive players do to prepare for tournaments (ie play testing). It's not something that people who play casually are used to doing. It's engaging for a competitive player because it's growing their skill, but a casual player might see it as boring.

Getting "better" at your deck is definitely a thing.

Thecasualoblivion

Post by Thecasualoblivion » 2 years ago

The problem with cEDH vs casual decks in the same pod is that casual decks usually spend the first 3-4 turns setting up and don't hold up instant speed interaction while the cEDH deck runs a pile of monetarily expensive 0-1 mana accelerants and can go off when shields are completely down. The cEDH deck also is better at dealing with that interaction than the casual decks are at applying it in those early turns.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 2 years ago

umtiger wrote:
2 years ago
Getting reps in with the same deck versus the same opponents' decks is something that competitive players do to prepare for tournaments (ie play testing). It's not something that people who play casually are used to doing. It's engaging for a competitive player because it's growing their skill, but a casual player might see it as boring.

I think the thing that strikes me the most is how unprepared people tend to be with their own decks - and knowing the ins and outs of your deck in commander is (for me) just part of the joy of the experience. It's not really a hardcore spikey thing so much as a "as my skill with playing this increases it does more of what I want and I lose fewer games to my own mistakes."

Thecasualoblivion

pokken wrote:
2 years ago
umtiger wrote:
2 years ago

I think the thing that strikes me the most is how unprepared people tend to be with their own decks - and knowing the ins and outs of your deck in commander is (for me) just part of the joy of the experience. It's not really a hardcore spikey thing so much as a "as my skill with playing this increases it does more of what I want and I lose fewer games to my own mistakes."
I started playing EDH 3 1/2 months ago, and I have 16 decks with two more in the mail. I like building decks. The amount of reps I've had with any particular deck is not that high, and I play them fairly evenly.

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 2 years ago

Good article, great thread, shedding light on a lot of opinions and context. A lot of what is being discussed boils down to a very simple thing - people like winning.

As cute as tales of janky theme decks and whatnot are, the most reliable way to get enjoyment out of a game of EDH is to win it. This is all the more amplified if you go up against randoms you haven't bonded with, and you're not guaranteed to have a pleasant social interaction or whatever other means of fun you may be seeking in a game. So you build to win. You go on the internet and look at how to build an EDH deck right. You ramp, you draw, you do strong stuff. The current answers to heavy ramp/draw are quite antisocial, and hating out a large chunk of a deck's game plan will lead to the pilot having a bad time. This sort of thing is best solved in some manner prior to the game commencing instead.

The RC's communication often seems to imply that it's each player's responsibility to ensure the whole table has a good experience. I agree with that, but at the same time it took me years to develop proper Magic empathy towards the guys in my established group. On the occasion I walk my decks into randoms, I do not act as considerate. Given this, the best we can do is:
  • Carry decks of varying power levels. This will allow for more flexible matchmaking. Plus, more decks tend to lead to more varied gameplay experiences.
  • Be considerate at the deck construction stage. Would you like the thing that you're offering to the table with this deck jumped on you? While some amount of interaction is required to stop the game from turning into a goldfish session, letting people play the game is an important part of everyone having fun.
  • Communicate clearly about game expectations and matching up decks. This is something that I feel we struggle with as a format, with the legendary "MY DECK IS A SEVEN" serving as testimony to that. This is what we need to get better at, and have it become a core part of playing EDH against anyone.
  • Staying around for more games. Some burn-in period is to be expected, but once you've played with the people at the table hopefully you have some idea of their individual biases and can attempt to recalibrate a more balanced experience. This is also something that's not much of a thing currently, as people tend to split after one game in random matchmaking.
One thing not discussed too much yet with regards to deck construction is redundancy creep. If your deck wants Entomb, it will probably happily accept Unmarked Grave as well. It's not one or the other, it's now an extra copy of the effect you can work with. You can theoretically use this to try to depower your deck a bit, but in the grand scheme of things it ups consistency via redundancy. I've got four Zulaport Cutthroats in my silly Rakdos board gum deck by now.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

umtiger

Post by umtiger » 2 years ago

Thecasualoblivion wrote:
2 years ago
pokken wrote:
2 years ago
umtiger wrote:
2 years ago

I started playing EDH 3 1/2 months ago, and I have 16 decks with two more in the mail. I like building decks. The amount of reps I've had with any particular deck is not that high, and I play them fairly evenly.
Just keep playing as long as it's fun. Playing just to play can be fun, but keep in mind that the only way to improve while playing is to be mindful about what you and your opponents are doing. That's why I emphasize debriefing at the end of each game.

Personally, I have found the game to be more fun as I have gotten more skilled. For example, it took me 4 years (I learned to play in elementary school) before I found out that you could play instants at the end of someone else's turn. But that small bit of knowledge opened up the entire rest of the game for me.

Thecasualoblivion

umtiger wrote:
2 years ago
Thecasualoblivion wrote:
2 years ago
pokken wrote:
2 years ago

Just keep playing as long as it's fun. Playing just to play can be fun, but keep in mind that the only way to improve while playing is to be mindful about what you and your opponents are doing. That's why I emphasize debriefing at the end of each game.

Personally, I have found the game to be more fun as I have gotten more skilled. For example, it took me 4 years (I learned to play in elementary school) before I found out that you could play instants at the end of someone else's turn. But that small bit of knowledge opened up the entire rest of the game for me.
I've been playing 60 card mtg on and off since Ice Age, I've been playing a long time but only recently picked up EDH. I have a lot of general experience and I run strong cards, so I've been doing well enough. I'm pretty sure my win rate in LGS play is over 25%, and that's without running cEDH fast mana and 14/16 decks that win through the combat step as I don't enjoy combo play. I do make mistakes a lot as I don't know my decks in and out, and the first month or so was rough as I learned the flow of the EDH game. After that first month, I made some adjustments to my play and to a lesser extent the decks themselves and have been getting better results.

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 2 years ago

pokken wrote:
2 years ago

I have ADHD and a crappy memory, and unless a deck i put together is as straight forward as Relentless Rats or my Apocalypse/Barren Glory wincon then i'm going to have a bit of how am i winning each time i play the deck. Or I may not even realize that I have a wincon as what happened the time i played Helm of the Host with Godo, Bandit Warlord. If another player hadn't pointed that I won, I wouldn't have realized it. Afterwards a different player said rightly that if it hadn't been pointed out i wouldn't have even noticed.
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 2 years ago

pokken wrote:
2 years ago

Back in the day when I had an established meta things did get kinda inbred quickly as we played the same decks over and over against each other :P
PEBDAC

It annoys me to no end. The combination of poor threat assessment, indecisiveness, and general slow play that I run into because people don't have a solid grasp on their decks is astonishing. I understand that not everyone is nearly as invested as the general population of this forum is, but Christ. Every time someone blind casts a tutor and then says, "I don't know what I'm looking for," I die a little inside. I don't expect them to know their deck(s) inside and out like I tend to do, but planning ahead a little bit seems like a fundamental part of the game to me. Then again, deck tuning and deck mastery are my favorite parts of the game, so maybe my expectations are biased towards that.

To be clear, if it's a new deck, or a new player, or someone with a good reason, I'm incredibly patient and forthcoming. It just bothers me when experienced players with a deck they've had for months don't know what to counter, remove, or leave alone, depending on how it affects them.

Just... don't cast Demonic Tutor and spend 5 minutes rifling through your deck while everyone else looks at their phone. Please?

The way this thread has derailed has given me a good idea for a separate thread!

brainface

Post by brainface » 2 years ago

pokken wrote:
2 years ago
If their weakness is "playing the basic land type some rando chooses to hate on" that's not really the same as "playing all creatures with no defense."

Every color has ways to play around removal but not every color has a legit way to defend against Lifeforce or Flashfires level color hate.

I honestly think it's borderline trolling to play that kinda crap.
I think the conversation has mostly moved on, but I'm going to defend flashfires! It is a sweet little cinnamon roll of a card that never did anyone any harm and requires defense.

The point of it isn't "screw you, stop playing angels, mono-white player", the point is "you're not going to wrath me for the next three turns and i will actually get so much as a single creature through to the dome." It's (a much nastier) heroic intervention before heroic intervention was printed. \o/

Given, someone could play kit to screw over an angel deck, there's just better cards for that. Flashfires is a pretty good card if you're in a meta where a wrath hits every turn and you just can't keep a creature in play, and you're trying to play combat creatures in a combo-control environment. It's quite possible there's better deck-building decisions to make there, possibly wildly better deck-building decisions, I just know why I played flashfires and it wasn't just to troll, it was to have a chance to win the game with big creatures.

pokken

brainface wrote:
2 years ago
Given, someone could play kit to screw over an angel deck, there's just better cards for that. Flashfires is a pretty good card if you're in a meta where a wrath hits every turn and you just can't keep a creature in play, and you're trying to play combat creatures in a combo-control environment. It's quite possible there's better deck-building decisions to make there, possibly wildly better deck-building decisions, I just know why I played flashfires and it wasn't just to troll, it was to have a chance to win the game with big creatures.
What about the swamp wrath deck? Or the Cyclonic Rift deck?

Playing stuff that achieves what you want is better.

Show them Eerie Interlude or Heroic Intervention (Which you noted) or Thrilling Encore and show them what's up ;)

Stopping the wrath player after they've wrathed if they happen to be white is pointless.

pokken

TheGildedGoose wrote:
2 years ago
Every time someone blind casts a tutor and then says, "I don't know what I'm looking for," I die a little inside.
Oh man my sympathy pains

NZB2323

Post by NZB2323 » 2 years ago

3drinks wrote:
2 years ago
DirkGently wrote:
2 years ago
While I can sympathize with not enjoying those sorts of games, I think the attitude you've taken away from that sounds kinda angry. It sounds like you're playing these cards out of some kind of vengeance, and that's probably not a good reason to play those cards, nor the game in general tbh. I can only speak for the places I've played in, but while some small percentage of people may be pubstomping with powerful decks, the vast majority are not, and bringing a nuclear missile in that's going to Boil both the urza and the Tetsuko Umezawa, Fugitive decks alike is just perpetuating the cycle of unpleasant games imo.
It's more just out of experience. When I warn the table about the Urza deck, or and especially about the Edric deck "hey, if we don't band together to knock this person out, they're going to run away with the game". That falls on deaf ears and they do their own thing and, surprise surprise, they run away with the game with all those crazy extra resources. "It's only Edric, how bad can it be to draw a couple extra cards a turn? I want to draw a card as well!" You hear this time after time after time and you shake your head because you know that's not how it works and their own woeful ignorance is going to turn this game into a non-game. You can't beat those decks on your own, especially with players like that (and don't kid yourself, there's always that one player at the table) so you need some help. You leverage some powerful hate to stop the game from spiraling out of control. Make that Urza deck squirm under the pressure of a Null Rod/Cursed Totem + Scald. Make the Edric deck cry under a Lightmine Field/Powerstone Minefield.
Well, my Edric deck only contains commons so it's not that powerful, but I think you're going to have a hard time convincing other players that they have to gang up against a certain deck if you're playing Kaalia. For Edric, I don't even think those enchantments are that good against the deck with all the enchantment removal Edric runs, and Powerstone Minefield prevents you from attacking with Kaalia. You can run other cards that aren't specifically Edric hate, like Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite, Massacre Wurm, Orzhov Pontiff, Archfiend of Depravity, board wipes, or you can just use your spot removal on Edric.

I also think blue players can't really complain about blue hate, and Urza players can't complain about artifact hate. But if you drop Scald against a casual player using a Tetsuko Umezawa, Fugitive deck that player is not going to have a good time.

This is why I won't apologize for running spot removal or a Sarulf, Realm Eater deck because I can target the strongest player with the spot removal. I've won multiple games with my cleric tribal deck where I'm about to kill the strongest player who makes a deal with me that they'll kill everyone but me their next turn and let me kill them if I don't kill them.
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

NZB2323

Rumpy5897 wrote:
2 years ago
Good article, great thread, shedding light on a lot of opinions and context. A lot of what is being discussed boils down to a very simple thing - people like winning.

As cute as tales of janky theme decks and whatnot are, the most reliable way to get enjoyment out of a game of EDH is to win it. This is all the more amplified if you go up against randoms you haven't bonded with, and you're not guaranteed to have a pleasant social interaction or whatever other means of fun you may be seeking in a game. So you build to win. You go on the internet and look at how to build an EDH deck right. You ramp, you draw, you do strong stuff. The current answers to heavy ramp/draw are quite antisocial, and hating out a large chunk of a deck's game plan will lead to the pilot having a bad time. This sort of thing is best solved in some manner prior to the game commencing instead.

The RC's communication often seems to imply that it's each player's responsibility to ensure the whole table has a good experience. I agree with that, but at the same time it took me years to develop proper Magic empathy towards the guys in my established group. On the occasion I walk my decks into randoms, I do not act as considerate. Given this, the best we can do is:
  • Carry decks of varying power levels. This will allow for more flexible matchmaking. Plus, more decks tend to lead to more varied gameplay experiences.
  • Be considerate at the deck construction stage. Would you like the thing that you're offering to the table with this deck jumped on you? While some amount of interaction is required to stop the game from turning into a goldfish session, letting people play the game is an important part of everyone having fun.
  • Communicate clearly about game expectations and matching up decks. This is something that I feel we struggle with as a format, with the legendary "MY DECK IS A SEVEN" serving as testimony to that. This is what we need to get better at, and have it become a core part of playing EDH against anyone.
  • Staying around for more games. Some burn-in period is to be expected, but once you've played with the people at the table hopefully you have some idea of their individual biases and can attempt to recalibrate a more balanced experience. This is also something that's not much of a thing currently, as people tend to split after one game in random matchmaking.
One thing not discussed too much yet with regards to deck construction is redundancy creep. If your deck wants Entomb, it will probably happily accept Unmarked Grave as well. It's not one or the other, it's now an extra copy of the effect you can work with. You can theoretically use this to try to depower your deck a bit, but in the grand scheme of things it ups consistency via redundancy. I've got four Zulaport Cutthroats in my silly Rakdos board gum deck by now.
I agree with all your points except for the 2nd one. Maybe it's because I used to be a modern Jund player, but I believe the purpose of Magic is to interact with your opponents, and this is especially true in commander games. If I'm interacting with something, it's because it's the strongest/most threatening thing on the table, or it badly hurts my deck. Unless I'm playing Edgar Markov I'm not just going to let my opponents do whatever they want, and the fun part of the game is how they interact with my interaction.
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 2 years ago

TheGildedGoose wrote:
2 years ago

The way this thread has derailed has given me a good idea for a separate thread!
I'm learning that any thread here with Sheldon's name on it is doomed to derail like an early 20th railroad disaster. Dunno what causes it exactly, but you can count on it like some kind of MTG Final Destination.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 2 years ago

I run a fair amount and variety of spot removal with all but my most casual decks, and tend to use it politically. If you want something removed, I can kill it, but then you have to do something for me in return. That said, I don't totally kneecap players unless they really went all-in and are scary or it's 1v1 and I win. I don't run color hosers at all though, they're just too unreliable yet debilitating. They'll either rot in my hand or ruin someone's afternoon, neither of which I want. I consider those two things quite different. People should reasonably expect to have their threats killed in a timely manner, but not, I don't think, to lose out of nowhere on the stack. Otherwise, I largely agree with Rumpy.

DirkGently

NZB2323 wrote:
2 years ago
I've won multiple games with my cleric tribal deck where I'm about to kill the strongest player who makes a deal with me that they'll kill everyone but me their next turn and let me kill them if I don't kill them.
You take those? That feels like such a scumbag win. If someone tried to hand me the win on a silver platter, I'd feel it was a matter of honor to finish them off right then and there.
brainface wrote:
2 years ago
I think the conversation has mostly moved on, but I'm going to defend flashfires! It is a sweet little cinnamon roll of a card that never did anyone any harm and requires defense.

The point of it isn't "screw you, stop playing angels, mono-white player", the point is "you're not going to wrath me for the next three turns and i will actually get so much as a single creature through to the dome." It's (a much nastier) heroic intervention before heroic intervention was printed. \o/

I'm sure to you it feels that way, but to someone playing mono-white - who may not even be playing board wipes - it will absolutely feel like "screw you, mono-white player". They have basically no way to stop it, and it will almost guaranteed knock them out of the game unless they have a completely dominant board presence. On top of which, they're already playing one of the weakest color identities in the game. It's basically "punching down: the card". And if they're playing multicolor white, they've probably got a couple non-plains white sources and can still cast wraths anyway, so you haven't even accomplished the one thing you wanted to do. For that matter, a mono-white deck might have enough artifacts and nonbasics to do the same.

There are plenty of ways to grant a board indestructible, or reanimate it, or get death trigger value, or sac outlet value, or just don't overcommit. Flashfires is narrow, it's obnoxious, and it doesn't even reliably solve the problem you want it to solve. Don't disgrace the name of cinnamon rolls by comparing them to the absolute worst of MtG design.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

NZB2323

DirkGently wrote:
2 years ago
NZB2323 wrote:
2 years ago
I've won multiple games with my cleric tribal deck where I'm about to kill the strongest player who makes a deal with me that they'll kill everyone but me their next turn and let me kill them if I don't kill them.
You take those? That feels like such a scumbag win. If someone tried to hand me the win on a silver platter, I'd feel it was a matter of honor to finish them off right then and there.
While playing an Orzhov deck, I feel like I should make a deal that guarantees I win the game at the other player's expense.
Current Decks

Retired Decks

DirkGently

NZB2323 wrote:
2 years ago
While playing an Orzhov deck, I feel like I should make a deal that guarantees I win the game at the other player's expense.
Does the fact that you're playing Orzhov make that a less deflating experience for the other players at the table?

I mean, I could respect the move if they said "If you let me live, I'll kill the other players and then not attack you for 3 turns" or whatever, where it gives you a really high (but not guaranteed, at least from their POV) chance to win. But what you're talking about is the absolute definition of kingmaking.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

NZB2323

DirkGently wrote:
2 years ago
NZB2323 wrote:
2 years ago
Does the fact that you're playing Orzhov make that a less deflating experience for the other players at the table?

I mean, I could respect the move if they said "If you let me live, I'll kill the other players and then not attack you for 3 turns" or whatever, where it gives you a really high (but not guaranteed, at least from their POV) chance to win. But what you're talking about is the absolute definition of kingmaking.
Maybe I didn't describe the scenario correctly. I have the kill on a player, and the player says "don't kill me this turn, and I'll kill everyone else my next turn and then you can kill me next turn," and I say "okay."
Current Decks

Retired Decks

Thecasualoblivion

NZB2323 wrote:
2 years ago
I agree with all your points except for the 2nd one. Maybe it's because I used to be a modern Jund player, but I believe the purpose of Magic is to interact with your opponents, and this is especially true in commander games. If I'm interacting with something, it's because it's the strongest/most threatening thing on the table, or it badly hurts my deck. Unless I'm playing Edgar Markov I'm not just going to let my opponents do whatever they want, and the fun part of the game is how they interact with my interaction.
What Sheldon was talking about in the article was that EDH is meant to be a casual format and one of the primary concepts of that is that everybody gets to play their deck. In my experience interaction isn't the problem when it comes to that, the problem is usually speed(he describes it as time creep) and is occasionally stax. I say occasionally stax because you rarely see it at casual tables but it's pretty bad there because nobody expects it and almost nobody knows how to deal with stax. Mostly though, if you're going to start a game of EDH and not get to play it's going to be because somebody else's deck went off before you had the chance to do anything.

DirkGently

NZB2323 wrote:
2 years ago
Maybe I didn't describe the scenario correctly. I have the kill on a player, and the player says "don't kill me this turn, and I'll kill everyone else my next turn and then you can kill me next turn," and I say "okay."
I could use one thing clarified - is he saying:

1) I'll kill the other people and then maybe you'll still be able to kill me or maybe I can stop you

Or

2) I'll kill the other players and then let you kill me even if I have a way out

If it's the former it sounds like an almost certain trap. If it's the latter it's blatant kingmaking garbage and I'd kill him for even suggesting such %$#%$#%.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

pokken

DirkGently wrote:
2 years ago
2) I'll kill the other players and then let you kill me even if I have a way out

If it's the former it sounds like an almost certain trap. If it's the latter it's blatant kingmaking garbage and I'd kill him for even suggesting such %$#%$#%.
I just don't understand what people even get out of this behavior but I see it a lot. Some folks seem to really like influencing the game like that even if they lose.

I don't even like being put into the position where I can determine the winner but can't win, sometimes I'll just swallow my removal if it's just a parting shot and I'm positive I couldn't actually influence the outcome in a way that gives me any chance to win. Still not sure what to do in that spot though tbh when people won't negotiate :P

Sometimes I'll punish them to the maximum extent allowable by law depending on how I'm feeling, but other times that's just going to prolong the game and make them take longer to kill the other person.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”