[Off-Topic] Community Chat Thread

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional
Pronoun: he / him

Post by DirkGently » 1 year ago

Legend wrote:
1 year ago
King David requested that Mephibosheth, who was lame in both feet, "eat at my table like one of the king's sons". And so he did. I believe that's how disabled people should be treated.
Lmao that might be the weirdest example I've ever read. Disabled people should be treated like the sons of kings? What does that even mean? Why can't we just treat them like normal people?

From what I can see, the story is likely modified to accomplish certain political goals - i.e. the name is likely changed, and the disability itself might have been added later to demonstrate him not being a military threat. But at any rate, the reason he was welcomed in was because of his lineage, not his disability (if he was actually disabled at all).

Anyway omw to go offer Halli some free food?
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 year ago

@benjameenbear I really fail to see why exactly we can't just fight Phyrexia forever. Phyrexian influence is far more insidious than outright compleation and they have infinite patience in terms of accomplishing their objective. It is my hope that Magic uses this unique antagonist to its fullest, treating each set/block/whatever as a battle in a larger unending conflict against a truly inexorable enemy. Let Phyrexia be the multiverse's climate change equivalent, a threat that can only be delayed or mitgated but never truly reversed or abated. In the words of Koth, "If there can be no victory, then I will fight forever." So we should.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 1 year ago

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
1 year ago
@benjameenbear I really fail to see why exactly we can't just fight Phyrexia forever. Phyrexian influence is far more insidious than outright compleation and they have infinite patience in terms of accomplishing their objective. It is my hope that Magic uses this unique antagonist to its fullest, treating each set/block/whatever as a battle in a larger unending conflict against a truly inexorable enemy. Let Phyrexia be the multiverse's climate change equivalent, a threat that can only be delayed or mitgated but never truly reversed or abated. In the words of Koth, "If there can be no victory, then I will fight forever." So we should.
I think there's a way to do this that doesn't jump the shark, and honestly I'd be down for that.

I do wonder though with the current lore; they've rematerialized Venser and Ertai who were both well and truly scragged. Why wouldn't they go all in and do that for Yawgmoth? Presumably it is possible.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Jemolk
Compulsive Jank Builder

Post by Jemolk » 1 year ago

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
1 year ago
Unfortunately, the current crop of Phyrexians are overwhelming and pretty much uncontainable. Like, they've never really been chained, and they found a way to break past planar barriers and the Blind Eternities post-Mending without sparks level uncontainable. Without finding what would amount to a hard counter to them, they are for all intents and purposes invincible. At present, there's not even a real way to slow them down. And a hard counter would mean they could be defeated. That's the corner WotC has written themselves into; they've made New Phyrexia so unbelievably overpowered that containment is a ludicrous prospect that strains credibility even more than timestream manipulation as a way to resolve this. They need an overpowered deus ex machina to resolve the situation at all. An overpowered deus ex machina so overpowered that it could actually obliterate New Phyrexia and the Phyrexians completely. Without something like that, even containment should be impossible, with the way they've been written to this point.
39 Commander decks and counting. I'm sure this is fine, and not at all a problem.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

Jemolk wrote:
1 year ago
TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
1 year ago
Unfortunately, the current crop of Phyrexians are overwhelming and pretty much uncontainable. Like, they've never really been chained, and they found a way to break past planar barriers and the Blind Eternities post-Mending without sparks level uncontainable. Without finding what would amount to a hard counter to them, they are for all intents and purposes invincible. At present, there's not even a real way to slow them down. And a hard counter would mean they could be defeated. That's the corner WotC has written themselves into; they've made New Phyrexia so unbelievably overpowered that containment is a ludicrous prospect that strains credibility even more than timestream manipulation as a way to resolve this. They need an overpowered deus ex machina to resolve the situation at all. An overpowered deus ex machina so overpowered that it could actually obliterate New Phyrexia and the Phyrexians completely. Without something like that, even containment should be impossible, with the way they've been written to this point.
A hard counter can exist and simultaneously not be a grand finale deus ex machina mcguffin. For the sake of argument, let's assume our heroes suit up in hexgold hazmat suits with industrial Halo spayers that melt Phyrexians with ease. They still have to go plane to plane eradicating the threat; they can't just throw up a tent and fumigate the multiverse. Phyrexians are termites of the foulest order, leave even a few and the glorious work continues. Maybe they go undergound via sleeper technology to reverse engineer a popular uprising into a new Phyrexian invasion. Maybe they get ahold of some Onnake artifice that lets them fight the hard counter after initial losses. There's tons of ways to draw out this narrative and imho, they should. What exactly is the rush?

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 1 year ago

DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
Why can't we just treat them like normal people?
That was my whole point in the first place. Get joked like "normal" people. Get fired like "normal" people. Get treated . . . like "normal" people.

David set an example anyone can follow.
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

DirkGently

Legend wrote:
1 year ago
That was my whole point in the first place. Get joked like "normal" people. Get fired like "normal" people. Get treated . . . like "normal" people.

David set an example anyone can follow.
I can't say I've ever been fired publicly on social media after having my accounts stealth deactivated. That doesn't seem very normal to me.

I have no idea why someone making a public display of forgiveness to a competing royal family, who may or may not actually be disabled, for likely political reasons would be "normal", or a followable example? But maybe if I'd studied harder in Sunday school I'd understand how this example is supposed to be useful or relevant. I never was a very good Sunday student.

(To be clear: I have no idea what your personal opinions on disabled people are, just that I think your example was weird AF, and even taken in the light I think you intended it, it sounds kinda condescending to me. Like we need to offer all disabled people charity? Halli is certainly more successful than I'll ever be, he sure doesn't need any charity from me)
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 1 year ago

"Do you pay the one?"
"Stop asking me that!"
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

DirkGently

I now own a Ghyrson Starn, Kelermorph (shamefully).

Guess it's time to bust out the paint again.

What would be a good alter for it? My short list at the moment:

3) John Wick
2) Han Solo
1) The Man with No Name (From The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly)
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
I now own a Ghyrson Starn, Kelermorph (shamefully).

Guess it's time to bust out the paint again.

What would be a good alter for it? My short list at the moment:

3) John Wick
2) Han Solo
1) The Man with No Name (From The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly)
Those are some good options, but if you really want it to overcome its inherent lameness as a UB card, the best choice for an alter is Clive Owen's character from Shoot 'Em Up(2007). That movie is quality entertainment without pretension or ambition and Smith is basically pop eye with guns and carrots instead of biceps and spinach. One of the top gunslingers in all media imo for sure.

Hermes_

so, I got bored and played with one of those Ai art things with the following prompt mtg full body character portrait of avril lavigne with dyed hair Magic the Gathering Rare card trading card template avril lavigne
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Anna Kendrick
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Emma Stone, which to me looks like she's cosplaying as a Chandra
SPOILER
Show
Hide

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

@Hermes_ you have too much free time. My prescription: take up a vice immediately to avoid serious risks to your health.

DirkGently

Why is the text so garbled? Don't even look like magic cards tbh. Though neither do modern magic cards...
TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
1 year ago
Those are some good options, but if you really want it to overcome its inherent lameness as a UB card, the best choice for an alter is Clive Owen's character from Shoot 'Em Up(2007). That movie is quality entertainment without pretension or ambition and Smith is basically pop eye with guns and carrots instead of biceps and spinach. One of the top gunslingers in all media imo for sure.
He did appear on a lot of the "best gunslinger" lists I looked through to make my own list, but I haven't seen it so I can't really comment.

Han Solo and John Wick both feel kinda "eh" to me since they are still modern, well-known commercial properties, which is the most bothersome thing about UB to me - I'd be fine with any kind of public domain setting. The Man With No Name is the clear frontrunner on that front since afaik that character hasn't been in anything since the 60s. Not technically public domain but pretty close.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Hermes_

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
1 year ago
@Hermes_ you have too much free time. My prescription: take up a vice immediately to avoid serious risks to your health.
:unamused:
DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
Why is the text so garbled? Don't even look like magic cards tbh. Though neither do modern magic cards...
It doesn't do well with text and I was mainly going for the style aspect of cards :P

Hermes_

I kind of what to figure out a good card to alter into the Avril artwork,so any suggestions?

DirkGently

Hermes_ wrote:
1 year ago
I kind of what to figure out a good card to alter into the Avril artwork,so any suggestions?
I think you mean Hammy Maanne.

Therefore the correct and obvious choice is Raggadragga, Goreguts Boss. Type: boar human.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Hermes_

DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
Hermes_ wrote:
1 year ago

Therefore the correct and obvious choice is Raggadragga, Goreguts Boss. Type: boar human.
Don't you have a cloud to yell at old man? :P

EDIT: Give me a prompt that you think will make a magic the gathering card, and here's the prompts I've been riffing off of

https://prompthero.com/search?q=magic+t ... ard&model=

Hermes_

this one looks more like an actual card

DirkGently

Hermes_ wrote:
1 year ago
DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
Hermes_ wrote:
1 year ago

Don't you have a cloud to yell at old man? :P
How does providing you the literal most perfect card choice make me a cloud-yelling old man?

If you want me to be more serious and more cloud-yelly, I think putting the images of living people into fantasy cosplay is weird, and altering them onto an actual card would be very cringe. If you're just using those people as a stand in for "attractive woman" then it's less awkward I guess, but it reminds me of those anime babe alters that plagued ebay (possibly still do). Personalizing a card is great and cool, but maybe don't be so (for lack of a better word) horny about it?

(And before you say anything about my potential man-with-no-name Ghyrson alter - the man with no name is a character, not a real person. Clint Eastwood is an old man who has conversations with chairs.)
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Hermes_

@DirkGently Two From using magic the gathering card featuring Man with No Name played by clint eastwood, western cowboy, card template, card template, card game art frame, bright, masterpiece art station. 8k, sharp high-quality artwork,mtg, full card, detailed, mint condition flavor text summon creature banding magic the gathering rare card card
SPOILER
Show
Hide
SPOILER
Show
Hide

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

@DirkGently those terrible anime alters still pollute Ebay. How some of that %$#% slides past the censor is beyond me.

DirkGently

Hermes_ wrote:
1 year ago
@DirkGently Two From using magic the gathering card featuring Man with No Name played by clint eastwood, western cowboy, card template, card template, card game art frame, bright, masterpiece art station. 8k, sharp high-quality artwork,mtg, full card, detailed, mint condition flavor text summon creature banding magic the gathering rare card card
SPOILER
Show
Hide
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Lol, that first one reads to me as "Them They Man de Cer". Nonbinary cowboys is certainly an untapped trope (afaik). Neither one really looks like Clint to me though. Face is wrong, hat is wrong, outfit lacks the iconic poncho. Also I am not remotely capable of painting that level of detail onto a card.

Probably going to use this image as a starting place:

and probably stylize it a bit. The RDR treatment looks pretty good:

Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

DirkGently

@TheGildedGoose Ennio Morricone therefore your argument is invalid.

Also I want a gunslinger character to match the flavor of the card, so katanas don't count.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 1 year ago

DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
@TheGildedGoose Ennio Morricone therefore your argument is invalid.

Also I want a gunslinger character to match the flavor of the card, so katanas don't count.
What if, and hear me out, the guns shoot katanas?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”