Unreleased and New Card Discussion

pokken
Answers: 2
Pronoun: he / him

Post by pokken » 2 years ago

materpillar wrote:
2 years ago
because they're too expensive and still a bit predatory but I have a lot less vitriol for them than I used too.
It's interesting, i both love and hate the financial side of them. In a lot of ways having the fancy decorative expensive stuff keeps the cost of other cards down, which is nice.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 2 years ago

materpillar wrote:
2 years ago
It's a shame that you have only negativity for these. I read them all and got a warm fuzzy amusement out of them. I've discovered with Kamigawa Neon Dynasty that I'm not locked into wanting magic to be a high medieval fantasy like I thought I was.
I don't care at all about high fantasy. Wotc can set a plane in the 1980s as far as I'm concerned. What I don't like is playing with cards advertising some other thing. It makes me feel gross all over.

In particular, I have no interest in street fighter. If there was a street fighter card game, I wouldn't play it. I think the characters look cringy af personally. If other people have a connection to the IP, cool, but I do not.

But I want to make it clear that my primary objection to UB doesn't hinge on the particular IP. I did really like the arcane Netflix show, but I don't want the cards. "Magic the Gathering - brought to you by McDonald's" is not something I want to experience.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 2 years ago

Its a shame that SL exclusive cards arent avaliable worldwide. Im from Brasil. We have a rich magic history with some of the best competitive minds in the game and perhaps the best single player in the games history. We also have a big casual community. Yet we are unnable to get those cards unless we do it from the secondary market where folkx price it up big time. I wish WOTC would partner up with LGSs in countries they dont ship to.

Edit : it was announced like yesterday this SL will ship to Brasil. It will be the first so disregard this

Other than that SL Walking dead featured a character that had sexually assaulted people on the show, its a completely different kind of monster.

Is there room for Bison in this SL still? 🥺

Chun Li + intuition + thirst for x + careful study seems fun. Blue has plenty of unblocklable instants she can easily connect often

5colorsrainbow
Answers: 1

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 2 years ago

More high magic science/space fantasty settings!

Eh I don't like mechanically unique SL and having them reprinted at a high rate in magic version fixes most of my issues with them. I personal rather play with magic lore cards since I like the vorthos aspect of the game, thought I don't mind the DnD cards as much.
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 2 years ago

Mechanics aside (I think they're mostly fine and interesting) why are they so ugly? SF has decades of better art than what they've used here.

Gashnaw

Post by Gashnaw » 2 years ago

DirkGently wrote:
2 years ago
materpillar wrote:
2 years ago
It's a shame that you have only negativity for these. I read them all and got a warm fuzzy amusement out of them. I've discovered with Kamigawa Neon Dynasty that I'm not locked into wanting magic to be a high medieval fantasy like I thought I was.
I don't care at all about high fantasy. Wotc can set a plane in the 1980s as far as I'm concerned. What I don't like is playing with cards advertising some other thing. It makes me feel gross all over.

In particular, I have no interest in street fighter. If there was a street fighter card game, I wouldn't play it. I think the characters look cringy af personally. If other people have a connection to the IP, cool, but I do not.

But I want to make it clear that my primary objection to UB doesn't hinge on the particular IP. I did really like the arcane Netflix show, but I don't want the cards. "Magic the Gathering - brought to you by McDonald's" is not something I want to experience.
i am on your side but there are two I like
1) I was rather fond of DnD and MTG, but they are both made by WotC and have a similar premises in terms of multiverse. They work. Warhammer may not be made by WotC (But for the longest time i thought they were. I really thought WotC was teh creators MTG, DnD and Warhammer (Plus i would love to have am Imperial knight as a commander)
So for me, those work.

Stranger Things, walking dead, Street FIghter, Fortnite, get those away from me. they have no connection to WotC nor do they fit in the MTG multiverse. (What is worse is that thy release some pretty cool cards i do not want o see at my table. if someone pulls out a Chun-li deck, I am gonna be cringing for most of the night)

Jemolk
Compulsive Jank Builder

Post by Jemolk » 2 years ago

For me, one of the most disappointing things about Universes Beyond actually has to do with feeling like it makes decks themed around other fiction less interesting. Prior to UB, creating, say, a Lord of the Rings theme deck would require creativity and interpretation for which character was which. The result is that the deck is an imaginative creation all its own, a construction that reflects the builder in more ways than just their appreciation for both Magic and LotR. Once the Lord of the Rings set releases, all that dies for that particular crossover.

Creativity and imagination in deckbuilding are central to my enjoyment of EDH, and while I understand that some people would prefer lower effort ways to deckbuild, I would rather we never reach the point where every deck builds itself. UB contributes to that homogenization push, rather than detracting from it. Before that, you could have, say, Arcanis the Omnipotent as Gandalf in one deck, and someone else playing the same role in another. Now, it's just going to be Gandalf as Gandalf, and no self-expression or imagination need apply.

And all this is to say nothing of the frequent aesthetic clash, or my dislike of being treated like I'm the product through an advertising deluge.
39 Commander decks and counting. I'm sure this is fine, and not at all a problem.

duducrash
Still Learning

Now that I've got some cards and got to plat with them March of Reckless Joy is so much gas. Great great card. WUBR marchs are pretty good tbh

Mookie
Answers: 48
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 2 years ago

Triome cycle completed - this time, they're not linked in their naming schema (Jetmir's Garden, Raffine's Tower, etc), so the triome name will probably stick. That said, I am a little disappointed - for some reason, I thought SNC was going to be a wedge set, with the shard-triomes reserved for an eventual return to Alara. Looks like that isn't the case, and SNC is actually a shard set. Either way, they cycle is still quite solid fixing.

Brokers Ascendancy gives me strong Atraxa, Praetors' Voice vibes.

5colorsrainbow

I look foward to seeing how they do shard this time around, love Alara but been loving how they been trying to explore the different ways the colors can play and be flavored.
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

duducrash
Still Learning

Some of my Kamigawa orders arent even in yet. Thats the WOTC I know and love/hate

CommanderMaster999
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 2 years ago

Nice glad to see the triomes are being completed

Got the wedges now I can get shard ones

Anyway I want to remind of this big time

They have cycling so that new Containment Construct is already gonna be put to the test with cycling cards since it's a mechanic in new capenna

that means
  • Anything with cycling not reprinted to oblivion
  • Cards that trigger from cycling (itself or in play)
  • New cards exclusively from Gavi, Nest Warden

Might get a tiny hype spike

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 2 years ago

Yeah, no complaints about more cycling (especially as a Brallin, Skyshark Rider player), but I sure thought we'd get the rest of the triomes in Alara, a cycling plane. I also thought Streets was a wedge block, but I am glad we are getting shards again. So all pluses from me so far!
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

Wallycaine

Post by Wallycaine » 2 years ago

For anybody complaining about preview seasons being too close together, I'd note that preview season *proper* doesn't start for another month. They've just gotta give some indication of what the set is about to retailers, so they can gauge how much to order.

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 2 years ago

I'm a bit surprised, not at the shards thing because it was expected, but at the Tarkir treatment, in that the primary color of each faction is not the central color but one of the allied colors.

If the order of the faction names is meant to reflect the color wheel, it means that for example the Brokers, the Bant shard, are actually the green faction.

EDIT: Mostly interested how Maestros, the Grixis shard, plays out as the blue faction. Obscura seems to be relatively straightforward, interesting how Brokers will play out flavorwise, maybe more like food brokers.
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

RowanKeltizar
Firemind

Post by RowanKeltizar » 2 years ago

Yes, the new triomes look absolutely amazing. Really glad to get these. The borderless treatments are gorgeous and will fit right in to my Atraxa deck. I think I will finally be able to have mostly gold bordered lands in there. Will be swapping out some of the Vivid lands for these. Topdecking lands late in the game is reeeallly bad for this deck as I discovered last night just because my draw power tends to be lower than a normal deck. Cycling will hopefully help with that problem.

Dinos and Prossh will also be very happy to get a fetchable forest triomes XD Wood Elves and Skyshroud Claim can find them so that's cool.

Besides that, I am looking forward to getting more aggressively costed demons for Kaalia with impactful abilities (hopefully with flying). We've had plenty of suitable angels and dragons lately, but most of the good demons are like 7+ cmc.
WRBKaalia, Zenith Seeker - Certified Air Raid Material
WBElenda, the Dusk Rose - Drain and Gain
WRAurelia, the Warleader - Tokens/Equipment
URNiv-Mizzet, Parun - Controlled Burn primer
BRGHenzie, "Toolbox" Torre - Creature Feature
BRGSoul of Windgrace - Lands Matter
RGWGishath, Sun's Avatar - I'M YOUR DADDY
GWUBAtraxa, Praetors' Voice - Artifact Stax Beatdown
Budget Starter Decks
UBSygg, River Cutthroat
WU Shorikai, Genesis Engine

5colorsrainbow

Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
2 years ago
I'm a bit surprised, not at the shards thing because it was expected, but at the Tarkir treatment, in that the primary color of each faction is not the central color but one of the allied colors.
I don't think they really said that one way or another.
If the order of the faction names is meant to reflect the color wheel, it means that for example the Brokers, the Bant shard, are actually the green faction.
Thats just how shards are layed out, by default when putting the order of mana symbols they follow WUBRG by path of least color in-between (so GW that order since G is "closer" to W than W is to G in WUBRG order). They changed this for wedges in Tarkir after finding out that placing the Khan main color first its help in drafting/limted since you can see wedges are made of two enemy colors faster. Shard where natural like this already so no need to change that.

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 2 years ago

2 years ago
Brokers will play out flavorwise, maybe more like food brokers.
They said in the announcement that they would be themed around lawyers and lawmages, so I think we'll see something along the lines of the "loophole" mechanic MaRo mentioned a while back.
That new mechanic had an interesting origin. In exploratory design for Streets of New Capenna (codenamed "Ice Skating"), Ari Nieh had come up with a novel new mechanic. She was trying to capture a sense of crime and stumbled upon a mechanic where players could pay extra mana to remove rules text from a card. The Exploratory team does what we normally do when we come across a cool new mechanic, marking it as something for the Vision Design team to consider and moving on to making other mechanics.

When Streets of New Capenna was in vision design, the team was looking for a mechanic to fit a certain flavor, and Ari brought the mechanic back up for consideration. Mark Gottlieb, the vision design lead of Streets of New Capenna, didn't think it was the right fit but acknowledged that he liked the mechanic.
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/a ... 21-11-08?s

Sporegorger_Dragon

5colorsrainbow wrote:
2 years ago
2 years ago
I don't think they really said that one way or another.
Thats just how shards are layed out, by default when putting the order of mana symbols they follow WUBRG by path of least color in-between (so GW that order since G is "closer" to W than W is to G in WUBRG order). They changed this for wedges in Tarkir after finding out that placing the Khan main color first its help in drafting/limted since you can see wedges are made of two enemy colors faster. Shard where natural like this already so no need to change that.
Ah, you misunderstand me, let me rephrase.

Usually, color combinations usually go in WUBRG order. For example, in Alara the shards were ordered:

Bant w
Esper u
Grixis b
Jund r
Naya g

The order was dictated by the main focal color of the shard, the common ally color, or central color.

In Tarkir, they were laid out as:

Abzan w
Jeskai u
Sultai b
Mardu r
Temur g

Here, the central enemy color is not the focus of the shard, but one of the side colors. So the Sultai clan, despite being the green wedge, was in fact the black-focused faction, and so on for the rest of the clans.

Now notice how the family crests are arranged here : https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/a ... 2022-03-03

Obscura
Maestros
Riveteers
Cabaretti
Brokers

Notice the Obscura, the wub shard, is first, while Brokers, the gwu, is last. Doesn't this strongly suggest that Obscura is in fact the white-centered faction, and Brokers the green-centered faction?

Look at the rest, and it slots in perfectly:

Obscura w/ub
Maestros (u)/br
Riveteers (b)/rg
Cabaretti (r)/gw
Brokers (g)/wu

This is what I mean. The shards this time, instead of focusing on the central color, instead focus on one of the ally colors, just like Tarkir Wedges but for Shards. Interesting way to differentiate from Alara.

5colorsrainbow

2 years ago
Notice the Obscura, the shard, is first, while Brokers, the , is last. Doesn't this strongly suggest that Obscura is in fact the white-centered faction, and Brokers the green-centered faction?
No since Esper/Obscura is first in WUBRG order than Bant/Brokers and they list the families in WUBRG order. They might change up which color is the center factions but like i said they didn't say anything one way or another.

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 2 years ago

CommanderMaster999 wrote:
2 years ago
Nice glad to see the triomes are being completed

Got the wedges now I can get shard ones

Anyway I want to remind of this big time

They have cycling so that new Containment Construct is already gonna be put to the test with cycling cards since it's a mechanic in new capenna

that means
  • Anything with cycling not reprinted to oblivion
  • Cards that trigger from cycling (itself or in play)
  • New cards exclusively from Gavi, Nest Warden

Might get a tiny hype spike
Only those 5 lands have cycling per Maro. It is not showing up on any other cards.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 2 years ago

I have been so impressed with Outland Liberator // Frenzied Trapbreaker on arena that I just bought 13 of them. I really think this is the best version of this effect - better than Caustic Caterpillar and Qasali Pridemage for sure.
I also like Cathar Commando a lot, but green has the creature tutors.
I know it is not that new of a card but I haven't opened up anything from that set yet so it feels new to me!
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

Sporegorger_Dragon

5colorsrainbow wrote:
2 years ago
No since Esper/Obscura is first in WUBRG order than Bant/Brokers and they list the families in WUBRG order. They might change up which color is the center factions but like i said they didn't say anything one way or another.
Oh okay now I see what you were getting at, that is absolutely true.

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 2 years ago

Dunharrow wrote:
2 years ago
I really think this is the best version of this effect - better than Caustic Caterpillar and Qasali Pridemage for sure.
I kind of hope it isn't, because tracking daybound just for your goodstuff utility creature is a pain. I don't think it's an uncommon play pattern for someone to play this, have it die/sac it on its day side, and then be stuck tracking day/night for the rest of the game. Same reason I never run Corpse Dance or similar; even when they're objectively good cards for my deck, the hassle isn't worth it for a cards.

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 2 years ago

BeneTleilax wrote:
2 years ago
2 years ago
Brokers will play out flavorwise, maybe more like food brokers.
They said in the announcement that they would be themed around lawyers and lawmages, so I think we'll see something along the lines of the "loophole" mechanic MaRo mentioned a while back.
That new mechanic had an interesting origin. In exploratory design for Streets of New Capenna (codenamed "Ice Skating"), Ari Nieh had come up with a novel new mechanic. She was trying to capture a sense of crime and stumbled upon a mechanic where players could pay extra mana to remove rules text from a card. The Exploratory team does what we normally do when we come across a cool new mechanic, marking it as something for the Vision Design team to consider and moving on to making other mechanics.

When Streets of New Capenna was in vision design, the team was looking for a mechanic to fit a certain flavor, and Ari brought the mechanic back up for consideration. Mark Gottlieb, the vision design lead of Streets of New Capenna, didn't think it was the right fit but acknowledged that he liked the mechanic.
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/a ... 21-11-08?s
This was cleave, right? As mentioned in that article?
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”