What is your most unique deck?

duducrash
Still Learning
Pronoun: he / him

Post by duducrash » 2 years ago

Commander is awesome. You get to play with whatever you want, my favorite tribe in modern often wins in t4 or t5 and it's unplayable. So I am very happy to have a format where I can play weird stuff and still get a shot to win. I'm double happy that I've seen super weird and non intuitive decks out there, decks that are trully unique.

To celebrate that uniquiness I'd like to hear about your unique deck ideas.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 2 years ago

I guess my most unique currently together would probably be my Winota, Joiner of Forces deck that is actually a boros Norin Soul Sisters concept. List here.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 2 years ago

I really want to say my Etali, Primal Storm deck since it's main win condition is your win condition. But honestly, its probably my Cosima, God of the Voyage // The Omenkeel Vehicle deck, since a large part of the deck is built around you playing your opponent's lands, which is a really unique angle.

Mookie
Answers: 48
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 2 years ago

Using the criteria of 'I have never seen another person with a similar build', my most unique deck is probably Samut, Voice of Dissent tap ability tribal - I don't think I've seen another person run a deck built around tap abilities for any color combination. Tthe closest would be the rare pinger deck.

Honorable mention to my Thada Adel, Acquisitor deck, which is built to ramp into nonsense like Colossus of Akros and Ancient Stone Idol.

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 2 years ago

I have The Scarab God that is pretty wonky. I have a lot of Needle Specter and Cephalid Constable type cards that like having 4 power.
I have Eldrazi processors to put my opponents' exiled creatures back into their graveyards to be exiled again. One game I eternalized an opponent's Gisela, Blade of Goldnight and after a boardwipe I used Oracle of Dust to allow me to eternalize Gisela again.

I pride myself on a lot of unique builds but this is I think the one that is the most unique. Everyone else builds Zombies or Mill.Dec.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

PrimevalCommander

Post by PrimevalCommander » 2 years ago

I have a no creature Talrand, Sky Summoner deck built for drake beat down. Does some typicaly mono-blue stuff but without any creatures besides what Talrand can create, it makes it very fragile to play. I have a few extra turns just as extra combat steps to close out the game with many drakes.

Most everything else follows the given strategy of the commander, which makes them less than unique.

My Yidris, Maelstrom Wielder deck is a token storm deck and built to abuse all the 0 mana suspend cards so I get all the tier 1 spells and ramp for free. I thought that interaction was cute and leaned into it a bit. Works almost too well, tacking on any of these spells to already efficient 1 mana cantrips or tutors really snowballs quickly. Magecraft with Chatterstorm and Empty the warrens can make a big field and lots of value. Also find it a bit more fair/fun than Brain Freeze and Tendrils of Agony.

Crazy Monkey
Arcane Themes

Post by Crazy Monkey » 2 years ago

I have a whole array of theme/meme decks, which are definitely unique If I had to just pick one though, it would be Marath, Will of the Wild Sunforger toolbox control. Again, not a unique plan. However, adding Stonehewer Giant and Knight of the Reliquary toolboxes add a lot of flexibility and all but 2 cards in the deck are in those toolboxes. It runs more toolbox inclusions than any other sunforger/toolbox deck I've encountered. Adding Wheel of Sun and Moon really solidifies the endgame control options for continuous sunforger-ing.
Commander Decks

Kemba | Kytheon | Talrand | Unesh | Teferi | Geth | primer Zada | Krenko | Torbran | Patron Orochi | Ghalta | Gargos | Medomai | The Count | Xenagos | Nikya | Jaheira, Artisan | Trostani | Athreos | Jarad | Ivy | Nin | Krark & Sakashima | Feather | Osgir | Gisela | Roon | Chulane | Sydri | Ertai | Mairsil | Vial & Malcolm | Prossh | Marath | Marisi | Syr Gwyn | Riku | Riku | Animar | Ghave | Tasigur | Muldrotha | Rayami | Zedruu | Yidris | Kynaios & Tiro | Saskia | Tymna & Kydele | Atraxa | Akiri & Silas | Sisay | Ur Dragon | Bridge | Horde | Najeela | Genju | Traxos

cheonice
Death to Chronos.

Post by cheonice » 2 years ago

My Selvela, Explorer Returned deck is pretty unique. It's neither combo nor grouphug oriented. It focusses on lifegain and activating Emeria, the Sky Ruin as often as possible. And shouting "PARLEY" every other round.

Akiri and Sakashima is a pretty straightforward and fast Voltron deck with some artifact and equipment synergies. Having two Akiri's is as brutal as it sounds.

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 2 years ago

Hmm, "uniqueness" is pretty hard to define. Considering lots of commanders either require certain card types/synergies or do have strong prominent interactions.

While loaded with lots of obvious cards, i love the unique things Lazav, the Multifarious can and will do. It's soothing to Brain Freeze yourself, just to have your commander swing as an Ornithopter and finish as a Wall of Blood...

Gallia of the Endless Dance is a very rare sight and my build of her is just so much fun and chaos. So maybe she fits the description.
I just finished building Killian, Ink Duelist with a focus on doubling life gain interactions with Soul Link, Spirit Link, Spirit Loop and Vampiric Link.

A near future "unique" commander of mine will be Nassari, Dean of Expression, as i've just recently decided to build a deck that mix and matches cast from exile and my opponents library and hands type cards, like Eruth, Tormented Prophet, Harnfel, Horn of Bounty, Share the Spoils, Mind's Dilation, Stolen Strategy and so on.

Magiqmaster

Post by Magiqmaster » 2 years ago

My Osgir, the Reconstructor deck is so much fun to play. I never know what's going to happen each time I get it out, which is part of the pleasure. It may not be unique, but it is quite different from anything else I have, as well as my opponents' decks.

I greatly enjoy copying artifacts and seeing my board explode with a multitude of goodstuff. Gotta love seeing Triplicate Titan or Wurmcoil Engine with a Anointed Procession on the board! When sacced, things get truly crazy... Any other less impressive pieces like Mycosynth Wellspring, for example, help make the deck tick like no other.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 2 years ago

Mine is probably my Yidris, Maelstrom Wielder build. Its an enchantress cascade vorthos build, which kind of just happened. I started it as a way to portray a part of some books I like and the themes just happened to lend themselves really well to enchantments, and now its a bizarre mash up that sort of just works very well.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 2 years ago

Most of my decks are rather basic in concept I guess, but I think my build of Breena, the Demagogue is pretty darned interesting and not entirely what you'd expect? I dunno.

WizardMN
Answers: 128

Post by WizardMN » 2 years ago

I think my Karador, Ghost Chieftain deck is likely the most unique deck I have. I know Karador, in general, isn't exactly a unique concept, but my build always seems to be different from other builds I see people putting out there. Specifically, I don't really go too hard into the combo aspect that a lot of other Karador builds seem to do.

Otherwise, I do enjoy my Volrath, the Shapestealer deck and it is one of the more unique decks I think I have built in a while. I realize "play all the clones" isn't all that unique but for me personally it touches on a playstyle I don't delve into too often and because of the way the deck functions, it often plays out quite differently every time which is nice.

illakunsaa

Post by illakunsaa » 2 years ago

I think pretty much all of my decks are unique but it's hard to tell whats most unique. Many of my decks have less than 30 copies on edhrec and some aren't even listed on edhrec. I have a Moron goblins with 27 decks, Sarulf land destruction with 10 and gw Selvala has 8 decks on edhrec. At some point my sydri vehicles list was just 1 to 1 copy paste of my list.

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 2 years ago

My Zabaz, the Glimmerwasp is fairly unique, given that I'm the only one anyone in my playgroups has heard of running it. It also pivots between voltron, go-wide and eggs depending on what answers people have, which feels like a pretty obscure combination. It's certainly led to the most "wait, what the hell is your deck doing" moments from my fellow players in play, without being overpowered.

ConstantMists

Post by ConstantMists » 2 years ago

My Zurgo Helmsmasher creatureless "boardwipe tribal" would be mine. Depending on what I have recently put in/taken out there at between 25-30 "boardwipes" of various types in the deck. It has various ways to deal mass destruction of creatures/artifacts/enchantments/lands as I see the need. Plenty of tutors to find the right card for every occasion.

Jokulhaups + Boros Charm will generally get the table to scoop. MLD is a win condition in this deck, so I have plenty of ways to do that if my commander is on the field.
Current Commander decks: Zurgo Helmsmasher - Borborgymos Enraged - Elenda, the Dusk Rose - Doran, the Seige Tower - Sliver Overlord - Yarok, the Desecrated - Scion of the Ur-Dragon - Hazoret the Fervent - Purphoros, God of the Forge - Gisela, Blade of Goldnight - Marath, Will of the Wild - Ramos, Dragon Engine - Ruhan of the Fomori - Narset, Enlightened Master - Kokusho, the Evening Star - Mizzix of the Izmagnus - Dragonsoul Knight (Pauper) - Kalemne, Disciple of Iroas (Precon)

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 2 years ago

Currently, Kydele, Chosen of Kruphix/Esior, Wardwing Familiar. It was originally Kydele/Eligeth, Crossroads Augur. Basically it's hand-size-guys tribal. Overbeing of Myth, Body of Knowledge, Sturmgeist, Psychosis Crawler, etc. Draw lots of cards, play disproportionately big guys, try to get through with trample equipment or Rogue's Passage.

It's fun/interesting.

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Post by kirkusjones » 2 years ago

Grismold, the Dreadsower. Give people tokens, kill those tokens, smash face. Your basic rock'n'troll lifestyle.

Treamayne

Post by Treamayne » 2 years ago

duducrash wrote:
2 years ago
Commander is awesome. You get to play with whatever you want, my favorite tribe in modern often wins in t4 or t5 and it's unplayable. So I am very happy to have a format where I can play weird stuff and still get a shot to win. I'm double happy that I've seen super weird and non intuitive decks out there, decks that are trully unique.

To celebrate that uniquiness I'd like to hear about your unique deck ideas.
Unique - as in "no other similar deck" - or -
Unique - as in "interesting and non-normal"?

Of the former, I would say that my Rainbow Stairwell Horde of Notions deck fits, since I have never seen another Rainbow Stairwell EDH deck, despite posting the linked "rules" in multiple places over the years.
Talk about a deckbuilding challenge. . .
(Note: the decklist example is a bit old and has since been updated)

Of the later, I would say its between:
- My Scion of the Ur-Dragon deck, which is really an Enduring Ideal deck (only has 5 dragons, including Scion, using Wheel of Sun and Moon to get them back in the library after each "search") - and I've never seen another deck that actually wants to cast an Epic spell.
- My Sydri, Galvanic Genius Vehicle deck, that focuses on animating vehicles through means other than Crew, and plays with a number of "make an artifact token copy" synergies (Echo Storm, Saheeli's Artistry, etc.) and encodes Cipher spells (e.g. Stolen Identity) to animated vehicles so they stick after a normal creature boardwipe.
Mookie wrote:
2 years ago
Honorable mention to my Thada Adel, Acquisitor deck, which is built to ramp into nonsense like Colossus of Akros and Ancient Stone Idol.
My version of this deck is mono-brown Karn Golems, with alternate untap mechanisms for the large golems with untap clauses (e.g. Colossus of Sardia) and a proliferate subtheme.
Crazy Monkey wrote:
2 years ago
I have a whole array of theme/meme decks, which are definitely unique
Big fan of Day of the Dragons - I use it in the Enduring Ideal deck. . .

I would love a Genju of the Realm deck, but you can't Rule 0 non-legal Generals on MTGO...
Instead I've had a couple of versions of Enchantress Manland decks (with Genjus, Zendikons, and Magemarks), the current version is an Estrid, the Masked deck, with other Enchant Land Auras for the lands that self animate, so they can get the Magemark abilities too.
(Previous versions include: Hazezon Tamar Manlands, Karona, False God Manlands, and Lord Windgrace Manlands)
V/R

Treamayne

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 2 years ago

My favorite thing in magic the gathering is to cast a really really bad card that everyone around the table has to read and then to find the incredibly niche case that it is broken. As such I tend to have fairly unique builds.

My most unique deck overall is probably my Esika, God of the Tree // The Prismatic Bridge worst mana-curve possible. The last game I played with this deck I cast Interpret the Signs revealing Autochthon Wurm to draw 15. Milled myself 4 times with Mindshrieker to give it +40/+40 (which was a slight highroll, but not an absurd one). Then burned out the rest of the table with Heretic's Punishment.

Tivadar of Thorn is also extremely unique. I loop Shields of Velis Vel and blink effects to machine gun the board. It has a shell of standard Mono-W stuff around it though. Hence, why I mention it second.

My Changeling tribal deck used to be really unique back when the only ones were from Lowyrn. Then, they printed two more sets of Changelings and now the deck is fairly popular. I'm a hipster and did it before it was cool or good.

I still have my Chromium deck. The first EDH deck I built 10 years ago. It's just esper-artifact stuffs but I've never seen any other OG elder dragons outside of Bolas.

Dragonlover

Post by Dragonlover » 2 years ago

I could build a thousand decks, and I'm pretty sure none of them would come close to alt wincon tribal. Twenty ways to win a game in one deck, erratic amounts of synergy and sod all interaction, but it's somehow still a blast to play.
Treamayne wrote:
2 years ago
- My Scion of the Ur-Dragon deck, which is really an Enduring Ideal deck (only has 5 dragons, including Scion, using Wheel of Sun and Moon to get them back in the library after each "search") - and I've never seen another deck that actually wants to cast an Epic spell.
My LGS does a 'everyone nominate a card for someone else to build around' thing, and one year someone got Eternal Dominion. He's built it with Riku at the helm to ramp a bunch then put at least 10 copies on the stack when he casts it between Riku and a host of other stuff, then just win with whatever he can find in the other decks at the table. But yeah, you don't often see epic spells in the wild.

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

benjameenbear

Post by benjameenbear » 2 years ago

For me, it's definitely my Yawgmoth deck. Every card in there has been carefully evaluated for maximum flavor-ness and it's a really, really efficient decklist as is that wins its fair share of games. Maybe it's not super unique in the wild, but of the decks I have it's definitely the one I'm most proud to play and it's the one that I've been most rigid with in terms of card choices, win-or-lose.

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 2 years ago

I forgot to mention my Mogis, God of Slaughter creatureless Panharmonicon deck. It's a slog to play and not fun for opponents but it is definitely unique.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

RowanKeltizar
Firemind

Post by RowanKeltizar » 2 years ago

Hmm, lots of cool ideas here!

When I first started getting into commander I picked decks that were "meta" at the time like Prossh and Niv-Mizzet. Since then, I've definitely shifted to building more unique decks that are actually challenging to put together, and I've imposed other restrictions on my older decks like "no creatures" in the case of Niv

I also take great satisfaction in finding those hidden gems that work especially well in certain builds.

Currently, the deck I'm most excited about and is probably my most unique build is my Atraxa, artifacts only stax beatdown list. It has been extremely challenging to build and now I think it is finally at the point where it is a relevant deck in my fairly aggressive and competitive playgroup although I have paid a pretty penny for it. I've always loved artifacts and this deck a celebration of that!

Because I don't really have interaction or board wipes to speak of I have to rely heavily on stax effects and hope they keep me alive long enough to beat some face. This has been an interesting learning curve since it's an archetype I don't have much experience with.

Card draw has also been a challenge as most artifact based card draw is pretty over-costed. Thankfully I have things like The Great Henge and Esper Sentinel that definitely pull their weight.

I especially like getting an insane value for X on creatures like Hangarback Walker, Stonecoil Serpent, and Walking Ballista using Mycosynth Golem.

Equipping Cranial Plating to Atraxa is incredibly satisfying.

I shelled out for a Memory Jar and Metalworker and it's been fun to play with old power like that in a deck that really wants those cards.

My choice of lands is a personal one also. I didn't want to run traditional duals, shocks, and fetches so I went for any color lands whenever possible. I also run the artifact lands for synergy.

Atraxa Stax Beatdown Decklist:
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Decklist

LANDS

COLORLESS/UTILITY/FETCHES

Approximate Total Cost:

WRBKaalia, Zenith Seeker - Certified Air Raid Material
WBElenda, the Dusk Rose - Drain and Gain
WRAurelia, the Warleader - Tokens/Equipment
URNiv-Mizzet, Parun - Controlled Burn primer