5 Color Control Wincons

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1
Pronoun: he / him

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 11 months ago

What I'm looking for are standalone control wincons like Approach of the Second Sun or Tivit, Seller of Secrets. Ideally the cards I need should have two or more of the following charcteristics in order to make the grade:

1. Compact/Self-Contained - some cards are best as part of an engine or specific strategy and some cards can win the game all by themselves if left alone. I need the later. The more generic, the better.

2. Low attack surface - I plan to lean hard on a few specific cards to push through a win. It's preferable that those cards leave as few avenues open for opponents to meddle with us as is possible. Hexproof, uncounterable, ward 3+, recursive, all of these are just some examples of how to reduce opportunities for inopportune interaction.

3. Scale well into the lategame/multiplayer - a control deck's goal is to drag the game out into a favorable attrition war. In the lategame, it is especially important that my haymakers are good enough to put away the weakened players in a timely manner. Threats that scale with time, mana, or the number of players are favorable.

4. Cool or Classic - this is subjective but some stuff is just awesome. I have fond memories of my first UW deck, beating down the lunch table with the nigh-unbeatable Blinding Angel. I probably won't play that in this deck, but I never say never. Besides, if you can't sprinkle in a few pet cards into your 5C EDH deck, what are the troops even fighting for?

5. Present a Hideous Amount of Value - this should be obvious, but anything that throws the general resource balance wildly in my favor has a good chance of being pretty good.👍
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Tags:

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by kirkusjones » 11 months ago

Not going to win the game, but if you're already running Loam/cycling, Archfiend of Ifnir should be in there. That thing is a meatgrinder.

Toxrill, the Corrosive can either clear the board or make sure it stays clear post-wipe.

Both of those fellas lack built-in protection, though.

Ruiner

Post by Ruiner » 11 months ago

Phage the Untouchable is a pretty fun win condition, which at least has cool/classic combined with compact from your list. Presumably since this is a control deck you can cover protecting her and/or removing obstacles. Pair it with Fractured Identity since you are in those colors and you have some fun ahead.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 11 months ago

Gates into Maze's End. Basilisk Gate can also offer a commander voltron option for some commander options so it kind of offers a two threat prong attack and the way in which to attack them is somewhat limited especially if you add land recursion to the mix.

Entering tapped is a downside of gates but the cost of the landbase for gates is really cheap money wise and that can be offset by ramping. Gates bugs me because its effective and hard to disrupt and encourages a heavy control playstyle which I tend to enjoy so it kind of falls into something I should love but I just hate alt wincons lol.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 11 months ago

I don't think there is anything that contains all those conditions.

The closest I could come to is Nezahal, Primal Tide. It has insane value and almost impossible to kill and if you have already grinded people out is is a 7/7 beater.

Emrakul, the Promised End can cost 5 these days and controlling a player for a turn is just so much fun and often back-breaking for an opponent. In built protection and 13/13 beats.

Otherwise I find my go to win condition in control decks is often via Volrath's Stronghold.
How you win with it can be a flavor thing, but Extus, Oriq Overlord // Awaken the Blood Avatar has nice value early game and then later you can keep recasting as Awaken the Blood Avatar which finishes the game pretty quickly.
Sheoldred // The True Scriptures is another control card that has an inbuilt game finisher with the last saga.
Toxrill, the Corrosive as already mentioned is the card that single-handily has the most value and finishes games quick.

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 11 months ago

Overall your question is too open ended. Are you going for efficient? Throw in Thassa's Oracle or a one of a billion uninteresting 2 card combos. This will serve you better than any other threat by far. Or are you looking for stylish Timmy winconditins? If that's the case Door to Nothingness is far and away the best choice for a stylish 5c finisher. It also kinda depends widely on your commander and decklist.

I've got a 5c dredge deck that kind of has what you're looking for but I imagine its finishers won't translate. Its most compact winconditions are Progenitus (the commander) + Savage Beating, Laboratory Maniac, and Worm Harvest + Grixis Charm (+ Savage Beating). It mills itself to get those cards back with Mystic Retrieval/Unburial Rites.

My 5c Changeling deck has a ton of cards that are independently fantastic but combine together to form infinite combos to end the game. For example Hibernation Sliver + Tolsimir, Friend to Wolves + Universal Automaton are all good cards on their own that
combine to gain infinite life and infinite Changeling ETBs (to kill the table with Reaper King or some such).

I'd imagine slapping in some cards that are slightly suboptimal at their primary task but double as win conditions is probably the way you want to go. Like Grixis Charm in my previous example. It was put it primarily as a removal spell but doubles as a mini-overrun for when I've put out a billion tokens with Worm Harvest (a card that's primarily for making blockers not winning). Separately these two cards do their functions fine but together they get people dead.

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 11 months ago

Having read the deck thread, I came here to say: all that work for a measly Approach of the Second Sun? My dude, if you're building an absurd 5-Color Loam deck and you're not playing a way to infinitely return them all to your hand to burn people out with Seismic Assault then why are you even playing Magic?

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 11 months ago

Reshape the Earth for Field of the Dead and eleventy fetch lands is a pretty solid 1 card kill -- makes 10 zombies on cast, then makes 16 more next turn hen you Thespian's Stage the field, then crack 8 fetches (one of them for Mystic Sanctuary if you wanna get cheeky). 26 zombies is usually enough to get the job done.

I enjoy this wincon because Field of the Dead is great by itself as a way to get board presence without sacrificing a lot of real estate card wise, and Reshape the Earth creates absurd end game ramp as well.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”