[mtgnexus] Random Card of the Day - Jetfire, Ingenious Scientist

Outcryqq
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Outcryqq » 2 years ago

Doomsday is usually an insta-win in my Grenzo, Dungeon Warden deck. Cast it win 2 mana up for Grenzo's ability and I have about 10 different piles I can finish people with, depending on how I'm feeling and what's on board.

Sharpened

Post by Sharpened » 2 years ago

Outcryqq wrote:
2 years ago
Doomsday is usually an insta-win in my Grenzo, Dungeon Warden deck. Cast it win 2 mana up for Grenzo's ability and I have about 10 different piles I can finish people with, depending on how I'm feeling and what's on board.
I mean, no one plays Doomsday other than to set up an insta-win. If you aren't going to do that, you aren't going to play the card.

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 2 years ago

I think my favorite Doomsday deck was a Hive Mind deck in which he went dooms day into Fact or Fiction and just passed.
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 2 years ago

shoutout to a tinyleader tournament I played with Shu Yun, the Silent Tempest. I got my opponent to 4 life and passed the turn. He played Doomsday, a blue card draw spell, Laboratory Maniac and decided to pay 2 life to cast Gitaxian Probe. I pointed out that I won with probe on the stack.
He tries to rewind to play blue mana. I point out that he does not have BBB and UUU available. He then tries to rewind to his previous turn and tutor an Underground Sea instead of a Badlands when he fetched.
I did not give him the win. He can't be rewinding to a previous turn. He didn't plan out his win properly and that's that! Especially since he fetched before I got him to 4 life, my turn gave new information that he could not pay 2 life for git probe.

In any case, I hate Doomsday. There is just nothing fun about it for the other people at the table.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

Myllior
Answers: 1

Post by Myllior » 2 years ago

Ulka wrote:
2 years ago
I think my favorite Doomsday deck was a Hive Mind deck in which he went dooms day into Fact or Fiction and just passed.
I was tempted to put Doomsday into my own Hive Mind deck but opted against it because it would take absolutely forever to resolve. I've done the whole Hive Mind into insta-win thing before (via Pacts) and the temptation to include a DD package was too high; the deck wants to play the game in crazy ways, sans game-ending combos.

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 2 years ago

This is one of those cards that's all or nothing. You either win or you lose, there is no in-between. And it sets up Laboratory Maniac to boot.

And this is why we don't just prioritize attacking blue control.
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

Ruiner

Post by Ruiner » 2 years ago

I actually enjoy running Doomsday in my Rakdos the Defiler deck, which is basically a Suicide RB deck. I don't generally have any sort of instant win going with any pile. I just set up what my next 5 draws/turns will be and see if I can win before I die. Usually there is some combo to set up but they are all super disruptable, like making the top two cards Havoc Festival and Wound Reflection, to be cast in subsequent turns.

I know this is far from the typical use for the card but it can be fun.

umtiger
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by umtiger » 2 years ago

BeneTleilax wrote:
2 years ago
At least this is a combo people generally personalize. What's everyone's favorite pile that they've used or seen?
Use Hellcarver Demon to bust into your Dd pile with Lich and Repay in Kind.

I mean, just using Hellcarver Demon requires balls of steel.

Igzex

Post by Igzex » 2 years ago

My favorite experience with someone using this card was in his deck that was built around Hive Mind shenanigans.

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 2 years ago

Ok, I'm not going to lie. Doomsday + Hive Mind → watch the world burn does sound pretty interesting.

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 2 years ago

Thursday, October 7th, 2021; Dennick, Pious Apprentice // Dennick, Pious Apparition

Love these kinds of Ground Seal effects. Very under rated in an era where people play Reanimate "for value"...

First half is definitively stronger than the disturb side though.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 2 years ago

Huh, not sure how I missed this one. It's a cool power for sure. And the flipside is really string too. Neat card.

I'm not sure the best way to maximize the second half, but triggering on tokens is really strong. Lots of ways you could end up with a buttload of clue tokens.
Last edited by pokken 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 2 years ago

Honestly, I totally overlooked this commander before now. That said, I don't care for the front side of the commander much. It feels like its just a hoop to jump through to get to the backside which still feels a tad weak. I think looting creatures would be really cool with the back side and you could even get into some self mill sort of stuffs which is cool.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Wallycaine

Post by Wallycaine » 2 years ago

Notably, the second ability doesn't even require *self* mill, any sort of mill at all can trigger it. The clue tokens potientially pair well with mill of the Teferi's Tutelage variety, and stuff like Memory Erosion can potientially cause this to trigger every turn. Obviously has the risk of enabling other strategies, but the front side potientially helps with that somewhat (use clones to get both out at the same time?). Certainly some options there.

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 2 years ago

Dennick's back-half is frustrating to me since it gets hits on both sides of the recent trend to "cool down" degenerate cards - it only gives one clue regardless of the number of creatures discarded/killed/milled, AND it only triggers once per turn. At least it's super easy to trigger and should yield clues every round.

The front-half is a nice hatebear effect, although I am sometimes wary of Ground Seal effects - while it does stop reanimation spells, it won't stop back-breakers like Living Death or Patriarch's Bidding and it doesn't stop stuff like Unnearth, Dredge, Aftermath, or Flashback. If you want to use it defensively to protect your own Disturb-ed spirits, it's a similar problem - this stops surgical graveyard hate like Scavenging Ooze but won't stop the most common and popular grave-hate cards like Scavenger Grounds, Nihil Spellbomb, Relic of Progenitus, Rest in Peace, or Bojuka Bog.

Putting this all together, this is a card that reads pretty pushed and pretty strong but that I just am not sure where 'd run it.

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 2 years ago

This is actually one of the card's I'm looking to test in Vega, the Watcher deck that keep half putting together then not finishing. The value from even just incidental combat deaths or looting is too nice to pass up especially when I can draw a card right off the bat when I disturb cast him.
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

3drinks

pokken wrote:
2 years ago
I'm not sure the best way to maximize the second half, but triggering on tokens is really strong. Lots of ways you could end up with a buttload of clue tokens.
Notably, creature tokens are not creature cards.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 2 years ago

Wallycaine wrote:
2 years ago
Notably, the second ability doesn't even require *self* mill, any sort of mill at all can trigger it. The clue tokens potientially pair well with mill of the Teferi's Tutelage variety, and stuff like Memory Erosion can potientially cause this to trigger every turn. Obviously has the risk of enabling other strategies, but the front side potientially helps with that somewhat (use clones to get both out at the same time?). Certainly some options there.
Good catch on the mill other option. Its worth mentioning though that when you are milling others hitting creatures will be far less of a certainty as their creature count is something we can't control.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 2 years ago

Notable is what clue tokens also can do. First off, they're artifacts, meaning affinity, metalcraft, improvise, and the like are relevant. You can also sac to Kuldotha Forgemaster or Krark-Clan Ironworks and even trigger off artifacts dying.

And they can help you gain the city's blessing.
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 2 years ago

Dennick, Pious Apprentice // Dennick, Pious Apparition is interesting. The front side doesn't particularly excite me in the command zone, since just acting as a hatebear isn't really a very powerful build-around ability. Ground Seal is a potent effect, but there are enough holes in the protection that I wouldn't count on it as an absolute. On the other hand, the flip side presents a very powerful draw engine, even if it does only trigger once per turn - investigating any time a creature dies, is discarded, or milled can represent a lot of draw (compare Syr Konrad, the Grim). It actually feels like a black ability.

...of course, getting the Pious Apparition out requires jumping through a few hoops - Dennick has to die and be disturbed, which is somewhat mana-intensive. If you want to actually use him as a draw engine, you'll need to put even more effort via killing creatures or mill. If you had access to red or black for self-recursive creatures like Squee, Goblin Nabob, you could potentially just loot one of those away every turn, but Azorius doesn't have many options for self-recursive creatures. Hmmmm.....

...I suspect Dennick will show up more in the 99 as a hatebear with upside - act as a Ground Seal with his first half, then come back in the lategame to provide some card advantage. Alternatively, just loot / mill him away. I've actually considered him for my Brago deck, mostly because the interaction with disturb is amusing - you can reanimate the creature, then flicker it to reset it to the front side. I don't think any of the disturb cards are quite strong enough to justify including, but I do at least like the idea.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 2 years ago

3drinks wrote:
2 years ago
Oh gosh that is tricky :) Significantly worse, but still interesting?

3drinks

pokken wrote:
2 years ago
3drinks wrote:
2 years ago
Oh gosh that is tricky :) Significantly worse, but still interesting?
It's definitely interesting. Three clues/turn and it doesn't even have to be your turn is quite good. Shame it's not r for that natural welding action though. Still, this is quite strong without being overly potent to centralize games.

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 2 years ago

Thursday, October 7th, 2021; Dennick, Pious Apprentice // Dennick, Pious Apparition
Unremarkable and weak, like most of the Disturb cards (Malevolent Hermit // Benevolent Geist notwithstanding).

I'm sure this could work well in a sacrifice pile of some kind, but, it's kind of in the wrong colours for that. Maybe some sort of self-mill? It feels like it's a meta-piece or just a little off in a bunch of areas.

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 2 years ago

Sinis wrote:
2 years ago
Unremarkable and weak, like most of the Disturb cards (Malevolent Hermit // Benevolent Geist notwithstanding).
I think disturb is pretty reasonable in limited - it provides a mana sink and additional threat in the lategame, and the fact that every disturbed creature has flying also helps. That said, value-added / mana smoothing mechanics (such as kicker, unearth, and cycling) tend to be pretty weak outside limited, where you have a lot more control over your mana curve.

....I do wish more of the disturb creatures had useful triggers - it's really have for french vanillas to see play in constructed. Malevolent Hermit seems reasonable, and Dennick is fine if you want a hatebear, but I think the only other one I would consider is Lunarch Veteran // Luminous Phantom (who actually seems pretty amusing with Brago, as a self-recurring Soul Warden).

3drinks

Friday, October 8th, 2021; Mythos of Snapdax

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”