Unreleased and New Card Discussion

Avacyn Believer
Faith Requires Sacrifice
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Avacyn Believer » 1 month ago

Dunadain wrote:
1 month ago
It occurred to me that Aradesh, the Founder would be a decent and unique voltron commander, but I started brewing and their really isn't really enough creatures worth enlisting.
I like your thinking but maybe if Aradesh has more colours, at least because mono-white is so hard to make work when the commander requires a lot of support to become a threat as a Voltron. You'd need consistent way to give him some evasion, and haste likely. And good luck ramping :rofl:
Faith Requires Sacrifice
MTGNexus Primer | Archidekt | Church of Avacyn

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Dunadain » 1 month ago

Avacyn Believer wrote:
1 month ago
Dunadain wrote:
1 month ago
It occurred to me that Aradesh, the Founder would be a decent and unique voltron commander, but I started brewing and their really isn't really enough creatures worth enlisting.
I like your thinking but maybe if Aradesh has more colours, at least because mono-white is so hard to make work when the commander requires a lot of support to become a threat as a Voltron. You'd need consistent way to give him some evasion, and haste likely. And good luck ramping :rofl:
I do agree that green would help, but mostly because it would give you more cheap creatures with high power.

Mono white isn't THAT bad, and Aradesh solves White's biggest problem which is card draw.

If we had like twice the available <5 MV and >4 power creatures, I really think it would turn out fine.

Evasion and haste isn't too hard to find once your drawing cards, and with a 3 MV commander that helps you hit your land drops, you don't really need to ramp

Edit: Wait! Maybe I can still salvage this, Endless One can be a 4/4 on turn 4 if I don't have any better options, later it can be a 5/5, and very late game I can make it a 10/10 to one shot people. Of course I'd rather have more 5/Xs for 4, but the flexibility is at least something

And there are 5 of these Endless One type cards, maybe this idea can still work
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 1 month ago

The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

Wallycaine

Post by Wallycaine » 1 month ago

Dunadain wrote:
1 month ago
Avacyn Believer wrote:
1 month ago
Dunadain wrote:
1 month ago
I do agree that green would help, but mostly because it would give you more cheap creatures with high power.

Mono white isn't THAT bad, and Aradesh solves White's biggest problem which is card draw.

If we had like twice the available <5 MV and >4 power creatures, I really think it would turn out fine.

Evasion and haste isn't too hard to find once your drawing cards, and with a 3 MV commander that helps you hit your land drops, you don't really need to ramp

Edit: Wait! Maybe I can still salvage this, Endless One can be a 4/4 on turn 4 if I don't have any better options, later it can be a 5/5, and very late game I can make it a 10/10 to one shot people. Of course I'd rather have more 5/Xs for 4, but the flexibility is at least something

Doesn't Aradesh only need the attacking creature to have 4+ power? Since he's already a 1/4, you only need a creature with power *3* or greater when he attacks to get the draw trigger. And white has a plethora of 3 power creatures.

Dunadain
I like turtles

Wallycaine wrote:
1 month ago
Dunadain wrote:
1 month ago
Avacyn Believer wrote:
1 month ago

Doesn't Aradesh only need the attacking creature to have 4+ power? Since he's already a 1/4, you only need a creature with power *3* or greater when he attacks to get the draw trigger. And white has a plethora of 3 power creatures.
No, the ability checks the power of the enlisted creature, not Aradesh the Founder's own power.

Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 1 month ago

Dunadain wrote:
1 month ago
Wallycaine wrote:
1 month ago
Dunadain wrote:
1 month ago

No, the ability checks the power of the enlisted creature, not Aradesh the Founder's own power.
Here's all of the rules text for Aradesh the Founder per the card specific rulings.
Wizards of the Coast wrote:
  • The attacking player chooses whether to tap a creature for an enlist ability immediately after they tap the creatures that they have chosen to attack with. You can't choose to enlist a creature later.
  • To enlist a creature, that creature must be untapped, it must not be attacking (even if it has vigilance), and it must have haste or have been under that attacking player's control since the beginning of their current turn.
  • When a player taps a creature for an attacking creature's enlist ability, that attacking creature gets +X/+0 until end of turn, where X is the tapped creature's power. This is a triggered ability that goes on the stack immediately after attackers have been declared in the declare attackers step.
  • You may tap only one creature for an enlist ability of an attacking creature, and a single creature can't be tapped for more than one enlist ability.
  • Aradesh's last ability has an intervening if clause. If a creature that attacks hasn't enlisted a creature this combat, the ability won't trigger at all for that creature.
  • It doesn't matter what happens to the enlisted creature after Aradesh's last ability triggers. As long as the creature that attacked enlisted a creature this combat, when Aradesh's last ability resolves, the creature that attacked will still get double strike, and if that creature's power is 4 or greater, you'll still draw a card.
Per the rule I bolded, Aradesh will draw a card if the enlisting creature has power 4 or greater after enlisting. Because of this all you need are a lot of 3 power creatures for two mana.

Wallycaine

Dunadain wrote:
1 month ago
Wallycaine wrote:
1 month ago
Dunadain wrote:
1 month ago

"Whenever a creature you control attacks, if it enlisted a creature this combat, the attacking creature gains double strike until end of turn. If that creature's power is 4 or greater, draw a card."

'That creature' references back to the previous antecedent, 'the attacking creature'. The release notes even specify that it doesn't matter what happens to the enlisted creature, which would not be true if it was checking the power of the enlisted creature (for example, if the enlisted creature got -X/-0).

Dunadain
I like turtles

Oh, my dumb ass, interpreted "that creature" to refer to the enlisted creature. I read it multiple times and re-read it again when Wallycain responded to me question and somehow misread the line every time *face-palm*

Wallycaine

Dunadain wrote:
1 month ago
Oh, my dumb ass, interpreted "that creature" to refer to the enlisted creature. I read it multiple times and re-read it again when Wallycain responded to me question and somehow misread the line every time *face-palm*
It happens. And it also means there's some stronger synergy with the Voltron plan for him, since if you can give Aradesh +2/+2, he only needs a 1 power creature to hit the card draw.

Dunadain
I like turtles

well %$#%, I was like 90% done with the deck and now need to start over. lol

NZB2323

Post by NZB2323 » 1 month ago

Magebane lizzard seems great for Ruric Thar, the Unbowed. I wish that deck had white also so it could run Thalia, Guardian of Thraben and Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite.
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

CommanderMaster999

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 1 month ago

Spoiler tag for reasons
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Ghirad 2.0 is bonkers

Make copies of tokens that entered the battlefield and can be any token

And to point out that infinites with any nontoken creature that untaps itself based on something entering.

Midnight Guard makes Infinite creature tokens and Battered Golem males infinite artifacts (particularly treasures or/and Gold)

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Post by kirkusjones » 1 month ago

CommanderMaster999 wrote:
1 month ago
Spoiler tag for reasons
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Ghirad 2.0 is bonkers

And to point out that infinites with any nontoken creature that untaps itself based on something entering.

Midnight Guard makes Infinite creature tokens and Battered Golem males infinite artifacts (particularly treasures or/and Gold)
Source?

CommanderMaster999

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 1 month ago

kirkusjones wrote:
1 month ago
CommanderMaster999 wrote:
1 month ago
Spoiler tag for reasons
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Ghirad 2.0 is bonkers

Source?
SPOILER
Show
Hide

literally the exact middle card

Avacyn Believer
Faith Requires Sacrifice

Post by Avacyn Believer » 1 month ago

That does not look concerning for the rest of the set at all :rofl:
Faith Requires Sacrifice
MTGNexus Primer | Archidekt | Church of Avacyn

Dunadain
I like turtles

Yikes, only 3 mana and haste? Definitely KOS

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 1 month ago

very dependent on the other players having worthwhile stuff and smacking them

The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

Dunadain
I like turtles

I think he's neat. do think the fact that it can be any nonland permanent saves him. If it was just creatures he'd be really inconsitent.

BlackbirdPlaysMTG
Lost but seeking

Post by BlackbirdPlaysMTG » 1 month ago

Hermes_ wrote:
1 month ago
very dependent on the other players having worthwhile stuff and smacking them

Hmmm, he can come down on turn one costing one mana and all that, but people won't have nonland permanents in their graveyard yet. Later in the game when graveyards do have some targets for him he can just be chumped by, I dunno, a random Eternal Witness or a token. Guess you could build him like Isamaru, Hound of Konda voltron in black instead of in white, with Tinybones having -1/-1 compared to the dog, but providing some value when he connects.

Ghired... well... that card seems pretty bonkers :omg:. You can also copy non-creature tokens with your creatures, things like treasures and stuff.

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 1 month ago

Tinybones, the Pickpocket looks fun. Not amazing - any expendable 1/1 token can threaten a trade - but it comes down early and can generate some nice value. Reminds me a bit of Gonti, Lord of Luxury. Throw on some equipment for first strike or Viridian Longbow and you have some nice additional utility. The floor is a commander that comes down on turn 1 every game and makes combat awkward for opponents, which isn't bad either - Tinybones can always just be a blocker, trade off with an opposing creature, and be recast for cheap.

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 1 month ago

Is it me or is the font size huge on Tinybones?

No one uses Ashnod, Flesh Mechanist.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 1 month ago

The spoiler images aren't displaying on mobile, where can I find them?

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 1 month ago

BeneTleilax wrote:
1 month ago
The spoiler images aren't displaying on mobile, where can I find them?
Try https://www.reddit.com/r/MTGRumors/

The other MTG reddit keeps taking them down I think.
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

MAGUSZANIN

Post by MAGUSZANIN » 1 month ago

In the 99 I think new Tinybones is a bit awkward, and in the command zone I think it's a bit underpowered. It's a card that needs evasion, pump, and for you to mill/discard/etc your opponents. That's not impossible, (Mothman comes to mind immediately as giving you two out of three of those in the command zone).

But it's a lot of hoops to jump through for the payoff of "drawing" the best card in your opponent's graveyard. As a commander there are enough options for all of those in mono black that I'm not particularly concerned about any specific one of them. But it does mean you need to draw some number of each of those three categories for this to be any good, and even in black that is a significant ask for a not that impressive reward.

Edit: honestly, I think the permanent restriction is the biggest killer that definitely wasn't necessary. That means that you usually won't be able to get someone's spot removal or boardwipes out of this, which is a significant negative to the card.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”