The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

WizardMN
Answers: 132
Pronoun: he / him

Post by WizardMN » 11 months ago

toctheyounger wrote:
11 months ago
Simic is my least favored combination personally. It's unfettered access to everything it could ever want leads me to boredom frankly.

I've never had a Temur deck, nor Sultai; the latter I would like to try but can't find a commander that speaks to me. I came close to pulling the trigger or Tevesh Thrasios or Tasigur, but haven't done so yet.
I agree that Simic tends to be the most "boring". I don't think the commanders available are boring or uninteresting but colors just lead into uninteresting game play. Primarily due to power level and card access. I have tried Tatyova, Benthic Druid which ended up being powerful but ungodly unfun for me.

That being said, I have found a good Sultai deck in Volrath, the Shapestealer which was more focused on cloning than anything else and the focused aspect of the deck made it work out well. I did take it apart since I wasn't playing it often (though I have it together online still). Temur is one that I have really wanted to build and I have tried a couple with Riku of Two Reflections being the most successful. But, again, it was just all the powerful stuff and ended up being boring.

I am trying Magus Lucea Kane and so far I like it. I am going to play it for real for the first time tonight at my LGS. I can't play it online since Lucea isn't online so Surrak Dragonclaw is the standin commander there.

As for preferred colors, I think I lean towards blue and then black overall. I don't have a good hierarchy for the color combos though as I do tend to try to find interesting commanders in color combinations I don't have yet. I will say that Red tends to the least prevalent in my builds and I really want to find a good Boros deck but I can't seem to find one that really fits my playstyle.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 11 months ago

WizardMN wrote:
11 months ago
As for preferred colors, I think I lean towards blue and then black overall. I don't have a good hierarchy for the color combos though as I do tend to try to find interesting commanders in color combinations I don't have yet. I will say that Red tends to the least prevalent in my builds and I really want to find a good Boros deck but I can't seem to find one that really fits my playstyle.
Check out Pia Nalaar, Consul of Revival. I slapped together a budget build for about 50 quid and it's pretty rad. It basically plays like Boros Prosper, Tome-Bound except the payoff is thopters instead of treasure. Between impulse draw, foretell, suspend, and rebound, there's plenty of triggers to be had. Get 6 or so and then slam Starlight Spectacular or Skyhunter Strike Force to end it all.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

WizardMN
Answers: 132

Post by WizardMN » 11 months ago

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
11 months ago
WizardMN wrote:
11 months ago
Check out Pia Nalaar, Consul of Revival. I slapped together a budget build for about 50 quid and it's pretty rad. It basically plays like Boros Prosper, Tome-Bound except the payoff is thopters instead of treasure. Between impulse draw, foretell, suspend, and rebound, there's plenty of triggers to be had. Get 6 or so and then slam Starlight Spectacular or Skyhunter Strike Force to end it all.
That does look pretty good actually. I do tend to like the impulse draw stuff in red which this would lean into quite well. And Suspend and Exile synergies seem pretty nice. It is focused without being niche which is right up my alley and the commander seems like it supports the deck rather than being the other way around (compared to the deck being built entirely to make the commander work) which is nice to see as the deck can, hopefully, function even if the commander leaves play.

Thanks for the suggestion! I will have to see what I can do with something like that.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

@WizardMN https://www.moxfield.com/decks/miWl4Y5eGka89oQotm5S3w this was the list I stole for a baseline. Hope it helps!

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 11 months ago

I killed someone with Lightning Bolt today and they spent like 2 hours mumbling "who plays Lightning bolt in EDH? Its a bad card"

So hours later, Ive got a win in the bag, each spell I cast im dealing 6dmg with a combo of Firebrand Archer like cards. Im going off, I have that damage + Storm-Kiln Artist so most spells are mana + that opponent casts Teferi's Protection . Since most of the deck is isntant I have like the win in hand, just need to cantrip enough to kill him, so decide to do so, eventually cantrip into Quicken, cast it to instant speed Solve the Equation , just to get Lightning Bolt . When opponent realizes what is going on he just scoops.

And I dont even think bolt is a bad EDH card!

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 11 months ago

Bolt is pretty heavily played in cedh. Make of that what you will.

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 11 months ago

duducrash wrote:
11 months ago
When opponent realizes what is going on he just scoops.
Savory.

I was able to Comeuppance a lethal Corrupt the other day and it was also tasty.

materpillar
the caterpillar
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by materpillar » 11 months ago

duducrash wrote:
11 months ago
I killed someone with Lightning Bolt today and they spent like 2 hours mumbling "who plays Lightning bolt in EDH? Its a bad card"

So hours later, Ive got a win in the bag, each spell I cast im dealing 6dmg with a combo of Firebrand Archer like cards. Im going off, I have that damage + Storm-Kiln Artist so most spells are mana + that opponent casts Teferi's Protection . Since most of the deck is isntant I have like the win in hand, just need to cantrip enough to kill him, so decide to do so, eventually cantrip into Quicken, cast it to instant speed Solve the Equation , just to get Lightning Bolt . When opponent realizes what is going on he just scoops.

And I dont even think bolt is a bad EDH card!
Bolt isn't a bad EDH card, in fact I think it is only getting better as the years go on. Curves are getting lower with smaller less Timmy creatures meaning it can kill more and more. Bolting someone to death never gets old.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 11 months ago

Bolt just lacks the flexibility that it has in 20 life formats because there is so much more effective life. Its still so so on killing commanders but generally something like Skred beats it out for its scaling nature even at the loss of doming an opponent. Its more important to have more diversity in killing power and cost than it is hitting the face generally in this format.

I would often even consider running Red Elemental Blast or Pyroblast over lightning bolt even though they have a lot of dud uses but I think it comes down to meta a lot on which one has pros and which ones cons.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

This is wildly offtopic, but I finally got a "real" job. Decent money, actual benefits, friendly coworkers. 2nd shift kinda sucks, but it's not so bad once you get used to killing time before work instead of afterwards. After many years of general vagrancy and hopping from %$#% job to %$#% job, I think I've got my foot firmly wedged in the barely cracked door of capitalist self-sufficiency.

Everyone praise me, for I, the great and powerful American Spirit, have achieved the societal bare minimum! Look upon my upward trajectory, ye mighty, and despair!

Avacyn Believer
Faith Requires Sacrifice

Post by Avacyn Believer » 11 months ago

So I've just discovered that Commander Masters draft booster is featuring new Avacyn art, and I am wondering if anyone has seen it on a card spoiler somewhere? I know it won't be the first time that Wizards had cool art on the promotional material and not on the cards, but here is hoping :)

the booster art

materpillar
the caterpillar

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
11 months ago
This is wildly offtopic, but I finally got a "real" job. Decent money, actual benefits, friendly coworkers. 2nd shift kinda sucks, but it's not so bad once you get used to killing time before work instead of afterwards. After many years of general vagrancy and hopping from %$#% job to %$#% job, I think I've got my foot firmly wedged in the barely cracked door of capitalist self-sufficiency.

Everyone praise me, for I, the great and powerful American Spirit, have achieved the societal bare minimum! Look upon my upward trajectory, ye mighty, and despair!
I assume you're going to use some of your new found vacation time to visit me so we can jam some EDH right?

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

materpillar wrote:
11 months ago
TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
11 months ago

I assume you're going to use some of your new found vacation time to visit me so we can jam some EDH right?
In 90 days when I get my 14 days off, I think something can certainly be worked out. We should also invite @RxPhantom and @benjameenbear, as I still feel kinda bad about blowing them off at commandfest 2 years ago (ride fell through not my fault but still).

materpillar
the caterpillar

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
11 months ago
In 90 days when I get my 14 days off, I think something can certainly be worked out. We should also invite @RxPhantom and @benjameenbear, as I still feel kinda bad about blowing them off at commandfest 2 years ago (ride fell through not my fault but still).
Having an mtgnexus meet up would be super cool. I think you're actually pretty far away from me though. I'm up in Ohio. I'm pretty close to @pokken.

I don't actually know where most people are, other than @DirkGently

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Post by kirkusjones » 11 months ago

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
11 months ago

Congrats, man! What sector of the corporate meat grinder will you be throwing yourself into now?

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

materpillar wrote:
11 months ago
Having an mtgnexus meet up would be super cool. I think you're actually pretty far away from me though. I'm up in Ohio. I'm pretty close to @pokken.

I'm in NC, which isn't actually all that far compared to the Zealanders amongst us. I dunno what an ideal equidistant meeting place would be, but I have car, will travel. We can figure this out! Somebody, make a thread!
kirkusjones wrote:
11 months ago

Congrats, man! What sector of the corporate meat grinder will you be throwing yourself into now?
I manufacture adhesives and label paper for the Italian and domestic markets. It's not glamorous, but someone's gotta do it. At this point in my life, I've shed the remainder of my notions of an exciting, adventurous life and have decided instead to forsake novelty and pursue money. C'est la vie, you can't eat good memories.

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 11 months ago

materpillar wrote:
11 months ago

I live in in new mexico
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 11 months ago

Toshi wrote:
11 months ago
i [...] pulled a foil alt Art Aragorn, the Uniter... seems like i gotta built it.
I really gotta say, that budget build might be the best 50€ i've ever spent, when it comes to MTG.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 11 months ago

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
11 months ago
I'm in NC, which isn't actually all that far compared to the Zealanders amongst us. I dunno what an ideal equidistant meeting place would be, but I have car, will travel. We can figure this out! Somebody, make a thread!
Next time there's a reasonably close event, preferably a CommandFest, I'll try to rally the troops again. I'm in MD. Events in Baltimore or DC happen reasonably often.
I manufacture adhesives and label paper for the Italian and domestic markets. It's not glamorous, but someone's gotta do it. At this point in my life, I've shed the remainder of my notions of an exciting, adventurous life and have decided instead to forsake novelty and pursue money. C'est la vie, you can't eat good memories.
You can't smoke them either. Stop smoking! I'm very happy to hear about your good fortune. I hope it continues, my friend.

Anyway, I've been gone a while. I just got back from vacation, but had to make a hostile work environment complaint against my boss. It's a whole long story, but I feel a lot better after getting it out. I've also been disinterested in Magic sets lately, which I find is the deciding factor in my appetite for discourse.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 5/26/24 (Modern Horizons III)

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

RxPhantom wrote:
11 months ago
Anyway, I've been gone a while. I just got back from vacation, but had to make a hostile work environment complaint against my boss. It's a whole long story, but I feel a lot better after getting it out.
Damn man, that sucks. I hope that gets sorted out okay. Good luck!

Also, I almost took a job at a tobacco factory but chose labels instead. You should be proud of me! RJ Reynolds would have given me a carton/week as a general benefit.

benjameenbear

Post by benjameenbear » 11 months ago

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
11 months ago
materpillar wrote:
11 months ago
TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
11 months ago

Behold! The upward trajectory of a fellow vagrant! Congrats on hitting the 9-5 security. Lots of things get better from there.

Yeah, I'd love to jam some EDH games. I know a shop in MD with fellow person who plays cEDH and casual in equal parts, so it'd be a good time.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 11 months ago

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
11 months ago

Congrats. Its easy to overlook how lucky many of us are to have regular jobs. I have been working 8-5 from home for the last few years but at one point in my life I was working swing shifts with Wednesday / Thursdays off. Its crazy how some regularity in life can make everything feel so much more manageable. I still have nightmares from that point in my life which was over 10 years ago now.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 11 months ago

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
11 months ago
RxPhantom wrote:
11 months ago
Anyway, I've been gone a while. I just got back from vacation, but had to make a hostile work environment complaint against my boss. It's a whole long story, but I feel a lot better after getting it out.
Damn man, that sucks. I hope that gets sorted out okay. Good luck!

Also, I almost took a job at a tobacco factory but chose labels instead. You should be proud of me! RJ Reynolds would have given me a carton/week as a general benefit.
Thanks man. I think I'll be okay, but these things are always perilous.

Quit smoking though. It's probably the hardest thing you'll ever do, but it's pretty much all upside.
Last edited by RxPhantom 11 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 5/26/24 (Modern Horizons III)

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 11 months ago

RxPhantom wrote:
11 months ago
Thanks man. I think I'll be okay, but these things are always perilous.
Truer words. A colleague of mine recently submitted a 17 page formal written complaint about our managers and their negligence, lack of knowledge about the service they run and poor standard of training, and it's pretty much been swept under the rug by the higher ups. She has since left as a result, and she called it that they'd start to pile on me since I'm fairly vocal about a fair working environment. I love what I do, but I hate my job. It's a matter of time before I'm out personally, life is too short for that sort of toxicity and they don't pay me nearly enough to working in an unsustainable environment.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”