[mtgnexus] Random Card of the Day - Consecrated Sphinx

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 4 months ago

The only Naya commander besides Hazezon, Shaper of Sand I've considered if only for being able to call the deck Rocco's Modern Life.

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Lifeless » 4 months ago

There was a time when I would have picked this guy up immediately and made a decisively un-fun deck that lasted all of 2 weeks. I guess I'm getting old because I just don't have the Naya bloodlust I once had.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 4 months ago

I really wanted to do a Norin the Wary deck on Rocco because the commander could assemble the pieces and it gave the right colors to have good support for him. I never got around to doing it but I think its still totally viable.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 4 months ago

ISBPathfinder wrote:
4 months ago
I really wanted to do a Norin the Wary deck on Rocco because the commander could assemble the pieces and it gave the right colors to have good support for him. I never got around to doing it but I think its still totally viable.
Every time I've seen him in the wild it was actually "X in disguise". Zada, Hedron Grinder , Norin the Wary and Mavinda, Students' Advocate weirdly enough all 3 by the same person

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Dunadain » 4 months ago

I think "honorary commander" is really the best way to build him. I liked the idea of bouncing + recasting him to get a tutor every turn, but 3 mana, plus whatever it took to bounce Rocco, is a lot, and doing it every turn means you fall further and further behind on mana advantage every turn.

That said, their are a lot of cool "honorary commander"s so I'm fine with it.
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

PrimevalCommander

Post by PrimevalCommander » 4 months ago

Speaking of honorary commanders, Rocco helps facilitate my enchantment commander Wild Pair deck. Link in sig.
I have tried Scion of the Ur-Dragon twice, but tutor in command zones just lead to repetitive gameplay. Rocco being only present to help dig for Wild Pair means he's usually only cast once per game. After commander tax, paying 5 extra for a creature is just so slow unless your desperate.

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 4 months ago

Friday, February 2nd, 2024; Vraska, Betrayal's Sting

Dunadain
I like turtles

I love the design here, but I haven't played with or against it yet.

Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 4 months ago

Dunadain wrote:
4 months ago
I think "honorary commander" is really the best way to build him. I
I kinda want to build Monastery Mentor as a "commander"

yeti1069

Post by yeti1069 » 4 months ago

I really dislike planeswalkers in general, and having a PW that grants loyalty to all other PWs (in addition to card advantage and other proliferate benefits) strikes me as being really dumb.

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 4 months ago

3drinks wrote:
4 months ago
Thursday, February 1st, 2024; Rocco, Cabaretti Caterer

He is one of those commanders I hate to see just because most I see don't have him to grab an "honorary" commander, but to grab combo pieces.

I will say that I have wanted to build him to make a Tallowisp deck, since that is my favorite card in all of magic.
3drinks wrote:
4 months ago
Friday, February 2nd, 2024; Vraska, Betrayal's Sting

Vraska is a great planeswalker and one of the few that feels more like a commander planeswalker than a constructed one. I've also seen her show up in a variety of decks, from poison, to planeswalkers, to +1/+1 counter decks. Add in her general flexibility and she is one I am glad I have a copy of burning a hole in my collection as I have the feeling I am going to build a deck that really wants her sooner or later.

3drinks

Saturday, February 3rd, 2024; Ninja of the Deep Hours|tsr

Dunadain
I like turtles

I love ninjas, and this might be my favorite ninja, two thumbs up.

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 4 months ago

I'm not sure if I would run Ninja of the Deep Hours in EDH outside a dedicated ninja deck - Thief of Sanity and other creatures that naturally have evasion are generally more consistent. It is a fun card though, and I've enjoyed playing with it in cube. It's not as splashy as Yuriko, the Tiger's Shadow or Fallen Shinobi, but it's cheap to play - T1 evasive creature into T2 Ninja of the Deep Hours is a very strong start.

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

I'm a Yuriko guy so I'm a Deep Hours guy, but beyond that I'm very fond of him from budget decks back when he was first printed. A+ in my book, although limited usefulness in EDH

yeti1069

Post by yeti1069 » 4 months ago

For a long time, nothing made me as happy in Magic as t1 Ornithopter, t2 NotDH.

Still very solid in Yuriko, even in cEDH.

3drinks

Sunday, February 4th, 2024; Shadow of the Enemy

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 4 months ago

3drinks wrote:
4 months ago
I have one of these sitting in my binder for Gonti, Lord of Luxury and i am yet to decide whether to go for it.
While it would be super fitting, it's just so much mana up front, less reliable and bonkers than Sepulchral Primordial is...
But i'm pretty sure this is super cool in tame creature-heavy metas and best combined with mass mill.

Dunadain
I like turtles

Thematically, it's pretty cool, but it's hot garbage, maybe it plays better than it reads though.

Would it have killed them to at least make it any number of player's graveyards? It's a six Mana, triple black, sorcery.

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

If this cost 4 and hit all opponents we might be talking but as is it's virtually unplayable.

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 4 months ago

I was excited by Shadow of the Enemy when I first read it and thought it was an upgraded Hedonist's Trove. Unfortunately, the fact that it only hits creature cards limits it significantly. It seems alright if you're a mill deck or you have theft synergies like Brainstealer Dragon / Tasha, the Witch Queen, but I wouldn't be that excited by it otherwise.

3drinks

Post by 3drinks » 3 months ago

Monday, February 5th, 2024; Saheeli, Filigree Master

Pretty reasonable, I think. Emblem reached in one turn and is quite strong, as you expect from permanent cost reduction. Still a mythic that's under a buck.

Dunadain
I like turtles

Post by Dunadain » 3 months ago

Pretty text-book planeswalker, +1 for value -2 for protection, ult doesn't end the game, but it's much easier to achieve, so that's interesting.

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 3 months ago

I've never seen this particular Saheeli, and she doesn't really do much for me. The ult is easily reachable, but doesn't seem particularly good. The +1 isn't especially exploitable and isn't too exciting for cost, and the -2 is pretty meh.

None of it is what I would call 'bad'; I think more than anything, the ceiling on these abilities are low and it just feels unremarkable/uninteresting (to me, of course, YMMV). There's nothing to really make me want to give it a card slot over some version of Tezzeret, or even other Saheelis.

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 3 months ago

I'm trying to play her in T2 right now. with Third Path Iconoclast

I'm not having much success

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”