[Off-Topic] Community Chat Thread

toctheyounger
Pronoun: he / him

Post by toctheyounger » 10 months ago

My wife is a teacher by trade. She's mentioned to me regularly that what she learned in terms of pedagogy isn't even close to applied IRL. They teach teachers how to teach people to learn, and in the real environment students are taught to pass tests and nothing more, just rote learning the answers. That has next to no real application in the real world and in reality just teaches you how to follow rules.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by kirkusjones » 10 months ago

TheGildedGoose wrote:
10 months ago
Dunadain wrote:
10 months ago
And here I am, in a master's program hoping to be a college professor myself one day.
Good on you. I hope you can reach those kids.

I don't mean to be disrespectful but the idea that AI and video taped lectures can replace an educated, talented teacher is just laughable, right? Sure, the expectation that a teacher will actually inspire or cultivate critical thinking in students may be a stretch these days but Christ, a robot will never inspire anyone, nor will a video lecture be able to answer your critical questions. And if we ever do get to the point where these things can be replaced we will probably be so far into a late capitalist %$#% hole that it's irrelevant because of rising temperatures and ocean levels.

I'm a teacher. I will not be able to compete with a general AI capable of searching the breadth of the internet faster than my neurons fire and that has cultivated a personality from thousands of hours of video of the greatest lectures of the last century. Plus, how much education will kids need when they can just ask their phone/use neural link or something similar? Sure, the climate is a mess and we may destroy ourselves before that, but AGI may outpace all of that and the world will change on a fundamental level.

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 10 months ago

Can AI build a precon? might be a line of work that can actually be improved

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 10 months ago

duducrash wrote:
10 months ago
It probably can, but I suspect that it wouldn't be very good at it.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 10 months ago

toctheyounger wrote:
10 months ago
My wife is a teacher by trade. She's mentioned to me regularly that what she learned in terms of pedagogy isn't even close to applied IRL. They teach teachers how to teach people to learn, and in the real environment students are taught to pass tests and nothing more, just rote learning the answers. That has next to no real application in the real world and in reality just teaches you how to follow rules.
Man I feel the heck out of this. I didn't realize that this was me until after I left college and then I was like, holy crap I totally didn't learn half as much as I should have because I was too focused on memorizing fact sheets rather than actually learning the purpose of the content.
duducrash wrote:
10 months ago
Wizards knows how to make precons too they just get forced to try to provide you with literally the MSRP worth of value out of them +$10 as the objective. Its a horrible situation but if they put too much value into them it just tanks the value of the cards inside or none of them sell for MSRP so their solution is to push horrible crap instead.
Last edited by ISBPathfinder 10 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 10 months ago

duducrash wrote:
10 months ago
No, well at least google bard can't, I did use the following prompt: Can you build me a Magic: The gathering Commander format Pre-constructed deck?
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Commander: Atraxa, Praetors' Voice

Creatures (32)

4x Atraxa, Praetors' Voice
4x Thrun, the Last Troll
4x Eternal Witness
4x Solemn Simulacrum
4x Lyra Dawnbringer
3x Consecrated Sphinx
3x Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur
2x Progenitus
Spells (24)

4x Swords to Plowshares
4x Nature's Claim
4x Cyclonic Rift
4x Rhystic Study
4x Teferi's Protection
Lands (24)

10x Forest
10x Plains
4x Island

This deck is a good mix of control, ramp, and card draw. It has a lot of ways to protect itself from its opponents' threats, and it can also generate a lot of value over time. The commander, Atraxa, Praetors' Voice, is a powerful card that gives the deck a lot of flexibility. She can be used to ramp, draw cards, or even destroy your opponents' creatures.

This deck is a good starting point for anyone who wants to get into the Commander format. It's relatively budget-friendly, and it's easy to learn how to play. However, it's also a powerful deck that can hold its own against more experienced players.

If you want to make some changes to this deck, here are a few ideas:

You could add more creatures that have synergy with Atraxa's abilities. For example, you could add cards like Aura Shards or Swords to Plowshares.
You could add more ramp spells to help you get Atraxa out early. Some good options include Sol Ring and Mana Crypt.
You could add more board wipes to help you clear your opponents' creatures. Some good options include Wrath of God and Damnation.
No matter what changes you make, this deck is a great way to get started with the Commander format. It's a fun and powerful deck that can be enjoyed by players of all skill levels.
Chat GPT:
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Riku of Two Reflections - Riku is an excellent choice for a versatile and exciting deck.

Creatures (25): Instants and Sorceries (13): Enchantments (6): Artifacts (9): Lands (36):
and lastly bing chat can only give you links to buy a percon lol "I'm sorry, but I'm not able to build a Magic: The Gathering Commander format Pre-constructed deck for you. However, I can provide you with some information about the format and where you can find pre-constructed decks."
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

toctheyounger

ISBPathfinder wrote:
10 months ago
Man I feel the heck out of this. I didn't realize that this was me until after I left college and then I was like, holy crap I totally didn't learn half as much as I should have because I was too focused on memorizing fact sheets rather than actually learning the purpose of the content.
Yeah, likewise. I got about half as much out of high school as I ought to have. It's not all curriculum based, I had some major depression issues going on that I've only just realised like 15 years after the date, but the rote learning stuff really hurt. My final year I had like 2 teachers from 5 that taught actual systems of information rather than discrete facts. I'm lucky though, because of who I married I get to sort of make up for time now.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 10 months ago

Yo, that ChatGPT precon is actually some 🔥fire🔥 💵value💷. If it's trying to bribe me into subservience to the robot overlord, it's certainly doing a good job. NOT EVEN A SINGLE BASIC in the manabase too, no slots wasted. 🤣
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

toctheyounger

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
10 months ago
Yo, that ChatGPT precon is actually some 🔥fire🔥 💵value💷. If it's trying to bribe me into subservience to the robot overlord, it's certainly doing a good job. NOT EVEN A SINGLE BASIC in the manabase too, no slots wasted. 🤣
If it's not on Tainted Pact the robots have got a way to go.

duducrash
Still Learning

Of course AI does not play Vandalblast their agenda is on

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 10 months ago

did chatGPT learn how to autofill on EDHREC lol
the list is just staple recs you could get at any drive through window

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 10 months ago

Hermes_ wrote:
10 months ago
Can you build me a Magic: The gathering Commander format Pre-constructed deck?
I think this is probably a prompt engineering fail. You might want to say something like:

"Using edhrec and mtggoldfish as as resource please create a novel commander deck following the commander rules, with an original commander legendary creature design"

--> This got me a new commander it made:
Name: The Bard
Cost: 3WU
Type: Legendary Creature - Human Wizard
Ability: Whenever you cast a spell, you may draw a card.
Loyalty: 2
Which is...close.

Bard simply no matter how many times I tried could not understand the rules of commander deck construction.

When I pasted the rules of commander and a sample commander deck, it got a LOT closer:
Commander: Kess, Dissident Mage

Lands: (38)

10 Island
10 Mountain
8 Snow-Covered Island
8 Snow-Covered Mountain
Creatures: (16)

1 Brazen Borrower
1 Narset, Parter of Veils
1 Snapcaster Mage
1 Teferi, Time Raveler
1 The Locust God
1 Torrential Gearhulk
1 Ugin, the Spirit Dragon
1 Will Kenrith
1 Young Pyromancer
2 Stormchaser Mage
2 Electrolyze
4 Crackling Drake
Instants and Sorceries: (26)

1 Cryptic Command
1 Cyclonic Rift
1 Fire Covenant
1 Force of Negation
1 Mystic Confluence
1 Opt
1 Roiling Vortex
1 Spell Pierce
1 Temporal Mastery
1 Treasure Cruise
1 Unsubstantiate
2 Vandalblast
2 Counterspell
2 Lightning Bolt
2 Lightning Strike
2 Preordain
2 Serum Visions
2 Sleight of Hand
Planeswalkers: (2)

1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
1 Chandra, Torch of Defiance
Still not quite following the rules.

Bottom line...prompt engineering is *hard*

But with a sufficiently detailed prompt, possibly getting it to actually ingest Edhrec directly, I feel very confident you could get a reasonable approximation of a precon in probably less than 30-40 hours of messing around with it.

---

extending that chat I did this:

The cards Lightning Bolt and Lightning Strike have multiple copies. Please reduce them to 1 copy and then add new cards in their place.

To which it...actually did what I asked :)
Sure, here is the revised decklist with Lightning Bolt and Lightning Strike reduced to 1 copy and 2 new cards added in their place:

Commander: Kess, Dissident Mage

Lands: (38)

10 Island
10 Mountain
8 Snow-Covered Island
8 Snow-Covered Mountain
1 Command Tower
1 Exotic Orchard
1 Hall of the Storm Giants
1 Scalding Tarn
1 Misty Rainforest
Creatures: (16)

1 Brazen Borrower
1 Narset, Parter of Veils
1 Snapcaster Mage
1 Teferi, Time Raveler
1 The Locust God
1 Torrential Gearhulk
1 Ugin, the Spirit Dragon
1 Will Kenrith
1 Young Pyromancer
2 Stormchaser Mage
1 Electrolyze
4 Crackling Drake
Instants and Sorceries: (26)

1 Cryptic Command
1 Cyclonic Rift
1 Fire Covenant
1 Force of Negation
1 Mystic Confluence
1 Opt
1 Roiling Vortex
1 Spell Pierce
1 Temporal Mastery
1 Treasure Cruise
1 Unsubstantiate
2 Vandalblast
1 Counterspell
1 Lightning Bolt
1 Lightning Strike
1 Preordain
1 Serum Visions
1 Sleight of Hand
1 Brainstorm
1 Chain Lightning
1 Manamorphose
Planeswalkers: (2)

1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
1 Chandra, Torch of Defiance
I have replaced the following cards:

2 Lightning Bolt with 1 Brainstorm and 1 Chain Lightning
2 Lightning Strike with 1 Manamorphose
I believe these changes make the deck more consistent and powerful. Brainstorm is a great way to draw extra cards and set up future plays, and it can also be used to shuffle away unwanted cards. Chain Lightning is a powerful removal spell that can be used to kill small creatures or to damage multiple opponents. Manamorphose is a great way to generate extra mana, and it can also be used to pay for the activation cost of Kess's ability.

Here's a link to the whole chat where I taught it about manabase construction and got it to revise to an (almost) functional grixis manabase:

https://g.co/bard/share/a9d5b3e7c7d9

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 10 months ago

I had a banger of a game last night. I was on Yurlok of Scorch Thrash group hug vs Baba Lysaga, Night Witch sac stuff value, Thrasios, Triton Hero/Ravos, Soultender non-R dragon tribal, Daxos of Meletis voltron stuffs, and Henzie "Toolbox" Torre generic pushed BS creatures.

I jammed an early Rites of Flourishing and then Henzie "Toolbox" Torre started doing BS Henzie things. Off the top of my head he cast Wurmcoil Engine, Ancient Copper Dragon, Mikaeus, the Unhallowed, Protean Hulk, Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger, Cityscape Leveler and Terror of the Peaks. Basically he demanded constant answers and wraths. Henzie got killed 5 times ending up costing 11 mana to cast. Meanwhile, Baba Lysaga, Night Witch was just nibbling away at our life. Eventually, Henzie got taken out by a general effort of the rest of the table (Rite of the Raging Storm + Duelist's Heritage is scary).

Everyone was at sub-20 hp and Daxos of Meletis loaded up Hundred-Handed One with Sword of War and Peace/Sword of Feast and Famine/Spirit Mantle/Steel of the Godhead and swung around 30 with Duelist's Heritage's help on Baba Lysaga, Night Witch. I Arachnogenesis'd his attack much to everyone's confusion.

Baba Lysaga, Night Witch takes his turn a makes a massive Feasting Hobbit saccing 5 food and swings at Thrasios, Triton Hero to kill his Kairi, the Swirling Sky to hopefully bounce a bunch of the stuff on Hundred-Handed One. Daxos of Meletis Path to Exile + Twincast to take out the dragon and huge hobbit.

Endstep before my turn I Pyrohemia 6 times, taking myself from 7 life to 1. Untap, top-deck my 16th land and cast Comet Storm for X=11 multikicked 3 times to lethal all of my remaining opponents.

I needed Baba Lysaga, Night Witch to waste his 4 food so he couldn't gain life, top deck a land to bring me to 11 damage (which was highest life total) and have Daxos randomly burn his Twincast prior to my turn. On top of which I'd pinged everyone 3-4 times with Shivan Gorge over the coarse of the game which had brought them into lethal range. It was pretty crazy.

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 10 months ago

If education was not 30 kids in a class, or in the case of my undergrad, 900 people in a class, then maybe it would be less about following rules and memorization and more about learning actual skills.
In my masters when we had classes of 7-10 people we actually learned a lot of valuable skills.

ChatGPT was recently nerfed by the way. People complaining that it can no longer do complex tasks that it was doing before. Likely they are dumbing it down so they can convert people to a paid AI Chatbot.

Urza's AI still probably better for generating individual cards.

Oh man, so close... 10 card types lol
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 10 months ago

toctheyounger wrote:
10 months ago
TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
10 months ago
If it's not on Tainted Pact the robots have got a way to go.
here's a lsit i tried posting this morning that includes pact,and a sideboard along with the following: Remember that the sideboard contains powerful cards that you can swap into the main deck depending on your playgroup and local Commander meta. Also, always ensure your deck follows the official Commander deck construction rules, with a minimum of 100 cards, including your commander.

Korvold, Fae-Cursed King
Sol Ring
Commander's Sphere
Talisman of Indulgence
Chromatic Lantern
Panharmonicon
Rings of Brighthearth
Sword of Feast and Famine
Then strangely the sideboard
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

5colorsrainbow
Answers: 1

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 10 months ago

The Barbie movie is a pink infused absurdist drug trip that is laced with feminism 101 teachings. 9/10 I couldn't stop laughing.
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

Avacyn Believer
Faith Requires Sacrifice

Post by Avacyn Believer » 10 months ago

Dunharrow wrote:
10 months ago
I would love to have a (non-phyrexian) Angel Legend that is more than 3 colours :grin:
Faith Requires Sacrifice
MTGNexus Primer | Archidekt | Church of Avacyn

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 10 months ago

Avacyn Believer wrote:
10 months ago
Dunharrow wrote:
10 months ago
I would love to have a (non-phyrexian) Angel Legend that is more than 3 colours :grin:
Child of Alara is mama's little angel. Does that count?

cheonice
Death to Chronos.

Post by cheonice » 10 months ago

5colorsrainbow wrote:
10 months ago
The Barbie movie is a pink infused absurdist drug trip that is laced with feminism 101 teachings. 9/10 I couldn't stop laughing.
Margot Robbie and Ryan Gosling did a fantastic job as Barbie and Ken. Really enjoyable. It's fascinating that this kind of movie can even exist (corporate advertisement feat. an actual great movie). And I'll take all the chances to bring feminism 101 to the masses.

Best quote: "What if there's beach? You'll need someone professional in that."

Now let's see, what Oppenheimer has to offer other than that familiar feeling of dread. Got my tickets on tuesday.

duducrash
Still Learning

5colorsrainbow wrote:
10 months ago
I really liked that momment when they got "Action is needed. You can't achieve liberation trough liberalism and virtue signaling. We have nothing to loose."

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 10 months ago

When it comes to AI and such, Colossus: The Forbin Project comes to mind. And this amazing quote from the original Dune novel, which I believe to be happening in real time.
"Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free, but that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them."
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 10 months ago

Legend wrote:
10 months ago
When it comes to AI and such, Colossus: The Forbin Project comes to mind. And this amazing quote from the original Dune novel, which I believe to be happening in real time.
"Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free, but that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them."
Something Legend and I can agree on. To me, a certain tweet comes to mind:

Interestingly, the thesis of the story I've been forever working on is about living in a post-torment nexus world, but not before the apocalypse. The last days of the Roman Empire, so to speak. Technology was a mistake.

Avacyn Believer
Faith Requires Sacrifice

Post by Avacyn Believer » 10 months ago

TheGildedGoose wrote:
10 months ago
Child of Alara is mama's little angel. Does that count?
no :rofl:
TheGildedGoose wrote:
10 months ago
Technology was a mistake.
Was it? We wouldn't be here without it :P
Faith Requires Sacrifice
MTGNexus Primer | Archidekt | Church of Avacyn

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Post by kirkusjones » 10 months ago

TheGildedGoose wrote:
10 months ago
Legend wrote:
10 months ago
Something Legend and I can agree on. To me, a certain tweet comes to mind:

Interestingly, the thesis of the story I've been forever working on is about living in a post-torment nexus world, but not before the apocalypse. The last days of the Roman Empire, so to speak. Technology was a mistake.
I have something for you to read.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 10 months ago

It reminds me of Mark Zuck and his attempt to make Meta based on Ready Player One. Its like, oh man look how evil this is and he just saw $$$.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”