Commander 2019 Speculation

bobthefunny
Resident Plainswalker
Pronoun: he / him

Post by bobthefunny » 4 years ago

vandertroll wrote:
4 years ago
Do you think that there's a possibility for adding twists in those mechanics? For example adding the ability to copy nonland permants in the populate deck in order to add more colors and make it more interesting?
MRHblue wrote:
4 years ago
Doubtful as populate is a static keyword, as are madness and flashback. Morphs have existed in more than one flavor.
Announcing a new keyword! Mega-madness! (/sarcasm)

---

I do have to say that I am intrigued by the concepts of these lists. Populate is one of the major themes of my Trostani (sorry for MTGS link, haven't transfered everything over yet) deck, using cards like Séance, God-Pharaoh's Gift, and Mirrorpool (among others), to make token copies of powerful creatures - which I then get to populate. Helm of the Host on Trostani gets absurd quickly. As well as on Oketra.

So the concept is very solid even in two color, but adding blue (Rite of replication, Stolen Identity), or red (Flameshadow Conjuring, Feldon of the third path), would be cool.

Populate itself though is actually a fairly minor find in my deck, since most cards with the ability... aren't great. Here's hoping for a few upgrades.

---

My Tibor and Lumia deck also went through a phase of GY matters and flashback, using Secrets of the dead and River Kelpie as powerful draw engines with flashback (Past in flames), retrace (Flame Jab), and Spellweaver Volute.

While I sadly doubt they'll reprint the Volute, that is one of the most fun cards in this style of play, and gets super crazy insane very fast.

DrSeaMonster
Pronoun: they / them

Post by DrSeaMonster » 4 years ago

I was theorizing with some friends and we got to this potential color breakdown.

Abzan Populate
Temur Morph
Jeskai Flashback
Rakdos Madness

This is based on a few things.

1,These color combinations haven't had a deck in at least two years.
2.this spread of colors lets four colors appear twice and one color appear three times, which is the same color spread as last year's decks.
3.These are the colors that have in the past done and can potentially do the most with these keywords.
Abzan aligned, Timmy/Johnny with a Vorthos activated ability.

Commander decks: Karador. Riku. Savra. Vorosh. Teysa Karlov. Kaalia, Zenith Seeker.
Balthor the Defiled. Radha, Heir to Keld. Nath. Saheeli, the Gifted. Zurgo Helmsmasher.
Samut, Voice of Dissent. Grimgrin. Ertai, the Corrupted. Nicol Bolas, the Ravager. Elsha.
Glissa, the Traitor. Chainer, Nightmare Adept. Obosh. Nethroi. Konrad. Kros. Karametra.

Sinis
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Sinis » 4 years ago

DrSeaMonster wrote:
4 years ago
Rakdos Madness
I can all but guarantee you, by the way, that we will see a Neheb, the Worthy reprint.

DrSeaMonster

Sinis wrote:
4 years ago
DrSeaMonster wrote:
4 years ago
Rakdos Madness
I can all but guarantee you, by the way, that we will see a Neheb, the Worthy reprint.
Not unlikely! But I've got a friend who's convinced it'll be Olivia, Mobilized for War

Commander decks: Karador. Riku. Savra. Vorosh. Teysa Karlov. Kaalia, Zenith Seeker.
Balthor the Defiled. Radha, Heir to Keld. Nath. Saheeli, the Gifted. Zurgo Helmsmasher.
Samut, Voice of Dissent. Grimgrin. Ertai, the Corrupted. Nicol Bolas, the Ravager. Elsha.
Glissa, the Traitor. Chainer, Nightmare Adept. Obosh. Nethroi. Konrad. Kros. Karametra.

Sinis

DrSeaMonster wrote:
4 years ago
Not unlikely! But I've got a friend who's convinced it'll be Olivia, Mobilized for War
Maybe!

I find they tend to make new mythics with some scattered reprints.

MRHblue

Post by MRHblue » 4 years ago

WhyNotBoth.jpg

But a new commander that adds madness or flashback to cards from the Command zone could be interesting.
Hopefully good like Ur-Dragon, not broken like Edgar.

bobthefunny
Resident Plainswalker

They usually do 2 new commanders, plus one old one for the Commander slot lineup.

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 4 years ago

When do these previews start?
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 4 years ago

Serenade wrote:
4 years ago
When do these previews start?
Generally speaking 2-3 weeks before the product drops. Given that M2020 dropped a week ago and the next set is announced for October 4thish release I would guess that means that this product will hit somewhere about mid to late August which means early august is really all the more we should expect for official spoiler season. All this said, its possible we see some early spoils outside of a spoiler season at some upcoming event (I want to say I heard about some event this weekend or next but didn't pay very close attention).
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Istarkano

Post by Istarkano » 4 years ago

ISBPathfinder wrote:
4 years ago
All this said, its possible we see some early spoils outside of a spoiler season at some upcoming event (I want to say I heard about some event this weekend or next but didn't pay very close attention).
Maro said he will announce when C19 previews will start at SDCC during the panel. He also said last Friday or the Friday before that he was writing his C19 preview article. He is usually 3-4 weeks ahead of his articles. So I would guess previews would start in 1 or 2 weeks.
My EDH Decks
Show
Hide
Arcades the Strategist - Kefnet the Mindful - Heliod, God of the Sun - Valduk, Keeper of the Flame - Hallar the Firefletcher - Urza, Lord High Artificer

ConstantMists

Post by ConstantMists » 4 years ago

C19 drops August 23. Previews should start August 5th if they go with a 2 week season or 12th for 1 week
Current Commander decks: Zurgo Helmsmasher - Borborgymos Enraged - Elenda, the Dusk Rose - Doran, the Seige Tower - Sliver Overlord - Yarok, the Desecrated - Scion of the Ur-Dragon - Hazoret the Fervent - Purphoros, God of the Forge - Gisela, Blade of Goldnight - Marath, Will of the Wild - Ramos, Dragon Engine - Ruhan of the Fomori - Narset, Enlightened Master - Kokusho, the Evening Star - Mizzix of the Izmagnus - Dragonsoul Knight (Pauper) - Kalemne, Disciple of Iroas (Precon)

Istarkano

Post by Istarkano » 4 years ago

According to Maro's SDCC panel, C19 Previews will start at GenCon, August 1-4.
My EDH Decks
Show
Hide
Arcades the Strategist - Kefnet the Mindful - Heliod, God of the Sun - Valduk, Keeper of the Flame - Hallar the Firefletcher - Urza, Lord High Artificer

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 4 years ago

Desperately hoping the Flashback deck is Grixis. I'm gonna try to convince my buddy to buy one to reintroduce him to the hobby and since Flashback is one of my favorite mechanics I think I would have the most fun with it. Alternatively, if the Populate deck ends up being Abzan, I might go for that one. Black has a lot of support for tokens and I think making the deck Selesnya just because that's where the mechanic started would be boring.

On the other hand, there's no way that the Madness deck is going to be anything besides BR, and I don't think it's likely that they'll print three precons with black in them.

Will the new commanders this year have their own new mechanics, or will they be ones already used like Eminence or Experience?

Cyberium

Post by Cyberium » 4 years ago

Story wise, Temur Frontier is the closest to Ugin ands spirits, perhaps the Morph deck would have the Dragonclaw twins as their commander? Younger sister Baishya turns cards into face-down morphs, allow you to exile/play them at instant speed, while Naiva is the warrior/hunter who gets pumped by # of morph creatures.

bobthefunny
Resident Plainswalker

Cyberium wrote:
4 years ago
Story wise, Temur Frontier is the closest to Ugin ands spirits, perhaps the Morph deck would have the Dragonclaw twins as their commander? Younger sister Baishya turns cards into face-down morphs, allow you to exile/play them at instant speed, while Naiva is the warrior/hunter who gets pumped by # of morph creatures.
That's cool, and very thematic. Got any links for further reading?

Sinis

BaronCappuccino wrote:
4 years ago
None of those mechanics really excite me, but I predict flashback being the rare, expensive deck with four decks worth of reprint value,
Inb4 Snapcaster Mage reprint.

MRHblue

Post by MRHblue » 4 years ago

Sinis wrote:
4 years ago
Inb4 Snapcaster Mage reprint.
I think they have learned they cannot do one deck that has a known large dollar card.

Sinis

MRHblue wrote:
4 years ago
I think they have learned they cannot do one deck that has a known large dollar card.
It was mostly in jest.

We all know their Flashback creature is going to have to be Dralnu, Lich Lord.

FoxOfWar
Pronoun: she / her

Post by FoxOfWar » 4 years ago

I hope they at least slightly look beyond the expected obvious color pairs, even if the decks mostly are those colors. The mechanics all have at least indirect support in all colors, and the commander decks have been relatively open-ended theme-wise anyway.

As always, mostly looking forward for new legendaries to mess around with. Wouldn't mind a Rakdos commander that struck me as something I want to build, as I've yet to really see one. (Or an Azorius one, but that's maybe not in the books this time around.)
36 decks or so...
Show
Hide
Hope of Ghirapur Swordpile - Ghosty Blinky Anafenza - Nezahal - Big, Blue and HERE! - Gonti Can Afford It - Kazuul, Tyrant of Chandras - Polukranos, More Mana - Azor Takes Flight - A3OS System - Vona Life Pain - Angel With a Whip and Her Pet Fox - Tolsimir Wolf Crusade - Dragonlord Steal & Copy - Arjun, the Mad Flame - Tatyova's Mad Lands - Zegana's Simic - Chainer Does the Value Dance - Polukranos, Unchained - Running Thromok - Sydri's Loco-Inspiraion - Zedruu the Furyhearted - Estrid Land Animation - A Case of Tariel's Persistent F*ckery - Tail of the AristoCat Humanitarian - Karador, Tomb Operator - Tayam Re-Curses - Jeleva... does... things - Sidisi, Death is Served - Omnath, Blink and You're Missing - The Negatiweaver - Breya, Eggs, Breya'd Eggs - Ishai and Reyhan Dicepile - Kynaios and Tiro Landfall Impersonations - Tana and Ravos' Regal Gatekeeping - Yidris of the Chi-Ting Corporation - General Tazri's Utterly Amazing Allies

Rasputin101

Post by Rasputin101 » 4 years ago

I really would like to see another range of partner commanders but they need to tweak the rule a bit.
Maybe errata partner to say:
Partner (You can have two commanders if both have partner and both have the same expansion symbol)

Or something to that effect, I'm not a game designer!

TheTuna

Post by TheTuna » 4 years ago

Rasputin101 wrote:
4 years ago
I really would like to see another range of partner commanders but they need to tweak the rule a bit.
Maybe errata partner to say:
Partner (You can have two commanders if both have partner and both have the same expansion symbol)

Or something to that effect, I'm not a game designer!
For my money, "Partners with" already perfected (and solved) the Partner mechanic. The original Partners ended up being extremely powerful while also a massive flavor fail (why can these people work together? What do they have in common?) while "Partners with" is one of the most flavorful Commander abilities out there and avoids generic 4c goodstuff piles.

Adding more original Partners seems quite difficult given that the collective power level of the Partner pool expands geometrically with each new Partner added. I'd be thrilled to see more "Partners with" commanders, though.
Current Commander Decks
Show
Hide
Giada, Rigo, Marchesa Knights, Liesa, Shroud of Dusk, Mangara, the Diplomat, Council of Four, Djeru mono-W Superfriends, Ashnod, Flesh Mechanist, Tasha

Myllior
Answers: 1

Post by Myllior » 4 years ago

TheTuna wrote:
4 years ago
For my money, "Partners with" already perfected (and solved) the Partner mechanic.
I think the Battlebond partners being monocoloured is their greatest improvement over the original partner commanders, as opposed to their partner mechanics being restricted to only one other legend. (Also not putting an infinite mana sink on a commander whose colour identity is the best for producing infinite mana). I think monocoloured partners with the general version of the mechanic would lead to much more variation in the decks that could then be built with them. How much more interesting these additional variations would be, over just focusing the pairs directly on one another for a single deck, is another question altogether.

That all being said, if the decks are mechanically themed and any of them are beyond two colours, then I wouldn't expect partner commanders in any form.

Sinis

If we're talking wishlists instead of predictions, I would dearly love to see more of the original partner mechanic. I've seen some really interesting decks, and some strategies for which there is no appropriate three-colour general (like Tymna/Sidar Kondo hatebears, or Silas Renn + Ludevic Saboteur/Artifact shenanigans, or Vial Smasher + third/fourth colour big-spell action).

Honestly, I really appreciated the modular design and powerlevel.

ilovesaprolings

Post by ilovesaprolings » 4 years ago

DrSeaMonster wrote:
4 years ago
Abzan Populate
Temur Morph
Jeskai Flashback
Rakdos Madness
This is the most likely one. Maybe Sultai morph and Naya populate.
But honestly the Eldraine brawl decks are confusing. We know they are 4 and one is bant. The other ones are probably esper, grixis and jund (no naya since m20 gave us Rienne).
So... does the existence of these brawl deck make the appearance of the same color combination in commander decks unlikely?

DrSeaMonster

My line of thinking was that either this year's commander decks will be wedge, or eldraine will be wedge. But the brawl deck has a bant legendary, which disinclines me to think that eldraine will be wedge, which makes wedge commander decks more likely.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”