[mtgnexus] Random Card of the Day - Jetfire, Ingenious Scientist

PrimevalCommander
Pronoun: he / him

Post by PrimevalCommander » 1 year ago

I need to pick up one of these after the reprint. I never paid much attention to the Silence ability, but instant speed interaction is ubiquitous now, so having this at least forces opponents to either use it early, or deal with the equipment instead of blowing out my combat step after declaring attackers. So I have this and Dragonlord Dromoka on my buy list.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

At the max pump level this is absurd - are there 5C commanders who want it?
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 1 year ago

I like the "As long as this is attached" mechanic; I think it's underused.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 year ago

I can count on two hands the amount of times one of my goons has eaten dust because I tried to equip this thing. It's good, but too conspicuous maybe. It's usually unwise to forfeit your ability to interact, so it usually gets an answer.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 1 year ago

Colorless worse Grand Abolisher. With two colors, it's strictly better than Vulshok Morningstar; with three, strictly better than Vulshok Battlegear.
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

illakunsaa
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by illakunsaa » 1 year ago

I think it's pretty decent. I like low cost equipments that have an effect and also pump power. People having on board activated abilities is pretty rare.

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 1 year ago

Saturday, September 3rd, 2022; Sakashima's Student

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 1 year ago

They need to reprint this card into oblivion. Fair clone cost, promotes aggression, has a tribe, good art. Price tag wrecks it.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 1 year ago

This could get busted fast, what with all the "can't be blocked" creatures in blue.
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

Ruiner

Post by Ruiner » 1 year ago

I really want an option to get this in foil for my Sakashima the Impostor deck.

It's a great card that can really catch people off guard for potentially a lot of damage depending on the board state.

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 1 year ago

Four mana for a vanilla Clone is somewhat overpriced these days. Clever Impersonator, Stunt Double, Dack's Duplicate... the four mana clone slot is pretty competitive, so I would be hesitant to run any single one of them unless I were confident that it synergized more with my deck than the alternatives. On the flip side, two mana for Phantasmal Image is a bargain. As a result, Sakashima's Student seems like a pretty solid option if you can ninjutsu it in consistently. Obviously at its best in decks like Yuriko, the Tiger's Shadow that care about the ninja tag, but I could also see it being played elsewhere. Although if most of your creatures are Flying Men, then I would have some concerns about whether or not there are consistently other creatures worth copying.

....given the price tag, I'd probably lean towards other options for the foreseeable future, but could be a nice option if it gets a reprint.

NZB2323

Post by NZB2323 » 1 year ago

Mookie wrote:
1 year ago
Four mana for a vanilla Clone is somewhat overpriced these days. Clever Impersonator, Stunt Double, Dack's Duplicate... the four mana clone slot is pretty competitive, so I would be hesitant to run any single one of them unless I were confident that it synergized more with my deck than the alternatives. On the flip side, two mana for Phantasmal Image is a bargain. As a result, Sakashima's Student seems like a pretty solid option if you can ninjutsu it in consistently. Obviously at its best in decks like Yuriko, the Tiger's Shadow that care about the ninja tag, but I could also see it being played elsewhere. Although if most of your creatures are Flying Men, then I would have some concerns about whether or not there are consistently other creatures worth copying.

....given the price tag, I'd probably lean towards other options for the foreseeable future, but could be a nice option if it gets a reprint.
And we just got Activated Sleeper, but I'm not sure how good that card is.
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

3drinks

Sunday, September 4th, 2022; Ritual of Subdual

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

This is one brutal finisher. MonoGreen has the ramp to sustain it long after its paralysis has done the necessary damage.

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 1 year ago

Seems really good with the Defiler of Vigor. This looks like Contamination but green. I tend not to play people who play Contamination.

Never seen it before. Seems like a pretty sweet old card to slam down in a more cutthroat meta. Also, that flavor text is great.

OneAndOnly

Green also has the most access to non-land mana producers (that aren't arifacts). Plus, foreknowledge means that you can build your deck around it.

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Post by kirkusjones » 1 year ago

How does this feel as a stax piece? I've been kicking around some ideas for mostly colorless Meria, Scholar of Antiquity and have contemplated including some stax elements.

I guess the broader question is, how do people feel about stax pieces as a way to guarantee a win either on the same turn or within a turn cycle?

RedCheese

Post by RedCheese » 1 year ago

Never seen this card before. And is kinda sweet as a tax piece. of coruse been a stax piece isn't favored by others XD, but nonetheless is an interesting card.

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 1 year ago

I may have seen the card name for Ritual of Subdual and confused it with Culling Ritual or Glare of Subdual. Maybe. I can neither confirm nor deny.

...anyway, it looks like a moderately questionable stax piece. Cumulative upkeep means it will usually go away eventually (unless you have Chisei, Heart of Oceans or some other way to remove counters), but even just a turn or two of shutting down your opponents' colored mana can be enough to steal a game. Of course, there are plenty of ways around it - mana rocks and other non-land mana sources in particular, but constraining your opponents to the colored mana produced by just a few mana rocks still limit them to just 1-2 spells per turn.

Still, it's not a card I've ever seen played, nor do I expect to see it. Stax is a strategy where you sort of have to be all-in on it - if you want to lock your opponents out of the game, you want to use the strongest pieces available, and Ritual of Subdual looks to be strongly outclassed by stuff like Blood Moon and Back to Basics. On the flip side, if you're only doing a little bit of stax, then it probably won't be worth the amount of hate it draws from the rest of the table, so you may be better off not doing it at all.
kirkusjones wrote:
1 year ago
I guess the broader question is, how do people feel about stax pieces as a way to guarantee a win either on the same turn or within a turn cycle?
Personally, I'm in the anti-stax camp - being unable to do anything is a frustrating experience. If you play a stax piece and then close things out in a turn or two, then that's fine... but my experience is that most stax pieces aren't enough to win the game by themselves, and just result in the rest of the table playing draw-go for a few turn cycles until they find an answer.

3drinks

Monday, September 5th, 2022; Chromatic Orrery

Let's see if this gets the same discussion level as the other chromatic mana fixer. For the record, I'm in the camp of this is $30 jank. There's your 3drinks™ Hot Take of the Day! :foil:

3drinks

TheGildedGoose wrote:
1 year ago
Why is this card $20?
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

TheGildedGoose wrote:
1 year ago
Why is this card $20?
My thoughts exactly. If this us the best you can do for seven mana, then I've got a bridge to sell you.

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 1 year ago

TheGildedGoose wrote:
1 year ago
Why is this card $20?
Modern? The art is pretty cool.
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

OneAndOnly

Well -- it looks like a powerhouse, so Timmy likes it a lot. It adds five mana of any color! It draws five cards! (Sometimes.)

Hardcasting it for 7 is silly; there are plenty of other cards that'll finish the game for you in the same range of mana, or at least get you onto the home stretch.

Cheating it into play yields the same answer -- there are better targets.

So it ends up in the "win-more" pile, maybe getting played at the casual deck, or m-a-y-b-e an astrology themed deck (?)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”