Which do you like more?

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by RxPhantom » 1 year ago

I know I just commented on your Mairsil thread, but I'm definitely going with Mairsil. I imagine him playing similarly to Merieke Ri Berit, who is helms one of my favorite decks. Tough call, actually, because I want to convert my old Rith, the Awakener deck to Samut.

Anyway...

VS.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

Dragoon

Post by Dragoon » 1 year ago

Ahah, I was going to propose that exact same one since I just cut Despark from The Ur-Dragon. I'd go with Anguished Unmaking as I got burned by Despark not being able to deal with what I want too often.

To stay on the removal theme:

vs

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1
Pronoun: he / him

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 year ago

Endless Detour, by the thinnest of margins. It's only a hot fix, but it has a wider range and can be impromptu recursion in a pinch.

Mind Harness or Chamber of Manipulation?
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Post by kirkusjones » 1 year ago

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
1 year ago
Endless Detour, by the thinnest of margins. It's only a hot fix, but it has a wider range and can be impromptu recursion in a pinch.

Mind Harness or Chamber of Manipulation?
Chamber, because it's a discard outlet with upside.

Pernicious Deed or Engineered Explosives?

PrimevalCommander

Post by PrimevalCommander » 1 year ago

Pernicious Deed because it can pop for more than 4 or 5. Engineered Explosives is probably great as anti token tech if you play a LOT of token decks, or weenie decks. I tend to pop Deed for 4-6 cmc depending on the board state.

Ensnaring Bridge or Crawlspace
Last edited by PrimevalCommander 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

Crawlspace - both are absolutely classic control artifacts but in my particular decks I just have two open blockers. *shrug*
or
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

BaronCappuccino

Post by BaronCappuccino » 1 year ago

Abrupt Decay - costs less, can't be countered, hits more types, and three or less is pretty relevant in today's tendency for EDH decks to feature beach bods rather than dad bods.

Already opted for the latter, myself, but opinion is interesting.
Phyrexian Arena ~or~ Black Market Connections

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Hard to imagine displacing the mighty Arena, but I too really am liking Black Market Connections. It's so damnably versatile and you can pick all three if you're in a build that wants to kermit soup inside. In normal Constructed, losing 2 life versus 1 per turn is a big deal, but in a 40-life format it's a lot more tolerable.
or
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

NotARooster

Post by NotARooster » 1 year ago

I prefer Wood Elves, purely because it's mono green so I can run it in my gruul decks. Ghave, Guru of Spores or Marath, Will of the Wild ?

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Marath. Ghave is the ultimate engine when it comes to these things but Marath has more utility and grows when you recast from the command zone.
or

cheonice
Death to Chronos.

Post by cheonice » 1 year ago

Grand Abolisher. Protects my plans and does not drain the fun out of any game like the Magistrate.

Heliod, Sun-Crowned or Archangel of Thune

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 1 year ago

I love this game and I'm glad it's back!

Archangel of Thune. I like global buffs, and even though Heliod is a resilient and powerful option, Archangel feels more explosive, especially in a non-combo context. If I had to pick one, AoT, but if I were building a deck that had one, it would certainly have the other.

How about
OR

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Volo Classic. Weirder, funkier, more combotastic. Plus, that flavor text!
or

Myllior

Post by Myllior » 1 year ago

Faeburrow! Was so happy when it came out; a budget replacement for Bloom Tender was sorely needed at the time. BoP is an exorbitant mana dork.

or

BaronCappuccino

Post by BaronCappuccino » 1 year ago

I'm going with Resculpt. Theoretically, blue isn't supposed to be able to permanently handle resolved permanents, and Resculpt takes care of two of the primary ones. Extra options are almost always worth extra mana in my book. 4/4 vs 3/3 seems like something I'd care about in modern, but not commander.

Battle of the development mistakes?
Beast Within --vs-- Chaos Warp

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 1 year ago

Beast Within. Chaos Warp is technically harder to replace (red has almost no other answers to enchantments, while green technically has other answers to creatures / planeswalkers / lands), but if I'm looking to play a removal spell, I usually prefer the option with less variance, even if the expected value may be a little worse.

vs.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Ancient Brass Dragon. A relevantly bigger body and a beyond-absurd ceiling.
or

cheonice
Death to Chronos.

Post by cheonice » 1 year ago

Ramunap Excavator. She's a solid option, while you hardly can do anything fair and fun with Azusa.

or

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 1 year ago

I'll still go with Excavator. No hoops to jump through to get the effect. They'd make a good team though!

VS.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

I certainly like both, but Tornado Elemental wins out for me - the mass destruction potential and the supertrample are attractive.

Plus it's one of those weirdly abstract Elementals from the original Mirrodin block. Style points.
or

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

The Angry Bean, of course. Rampaging Baloths is just... Bleh. Good in a landfall shell, but interminably boring.

Thresher Beast or Ravenous Baboons?

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 1 year ago

Ravenous Baboons. I wouldn't play a 4/4 unblockable for 5, but land destruction always has a use (even if it is only nonbasics).

vs

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 1 year ago

Open the Vaults
wwww is so much white for a card that's probably in esper for artifacts or bang for enchantments.

or

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The two Big Vs are so different (in terms of their marquee abilities, obviously they both have the Praetor style of ability design and similar bodies deliberately) that it's hard to evaluate one against the other. Both have effects that take over the game, only one requires you to do particular interactions and the other is just - inevitable, locking opponents out of alternate turns and doubling your mana. I like Vorinclex, Monstrous Raider for the newness factor and the style points of using him in a Fynn, the Fangbearer jank deck.
or

Battle of the signpost uncommons

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

Soulherder fo' sho. Between the raw power and Mckinnon art, it's an easy choice.

War Room or Bonders' Enclave?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”