Changeling Tribal - Sliver Hivelord

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ISBPathfinder » 3 years ago

I had been contemplating building a changeling deck for a while now but my first thoughts on it had actually been for a deck with a lot less colors potentially something like Dromoka, the Eternal using a tribe with potentially a bigger commander payoff that was hard to have in larger numbers due to the nature of their tribe. Ultimately I didn't feel like a bunch of vanilla bad stated creatures was a great strategy even though it could trigger my commander to happen more often. The other issue I had with this concept though was just that there weren't enough options available (which has been slowly being remedied by the mechanic getting printed more).

So, I came to the consensus that if I wanted changelings to work at least now for the time being I either need a commander with a SUPER strong ability that for some reason needed cheaper bodied vanilla creatures or I needed to go to more colors. There are a number of commanders that can work when it comes to 5c commanders but ultimately I was sold on Sliver Hivelord for a few reasons:
  • Changelings are terrible - To be honest, most of them are like bad vanilla draft fodder type creatures. I feared that it would make me weak to sweepers as well as create an issue when it comes to the value of casting them. It creates a need to draw more cards to offset the low value of playing them. Sliver Hivelord at least gives me the option to try to keep them alive and gives me options to chump block with them.
  • Slivers - Slivers and dragons tended to be two of the tribes that I saw some of the better tribal payoffs in. +1/+1 and evasion just isn't a good enough lord effect to offset how bad changelings are and I felt that putting myself in slivers as a tribe was good as there are a number of good slivers as well that I would consider using to buff the changelings. This puts my commander in one of the two tribes that I identified early on as being some of the better buffs.
  • Control - I like the option of being able to run sweepers and ideally not impact my board much. I considered a more proactive approach but I kept feeling like changelings weren't going to be that fast so I was more looking at utility and control concepts rather than strictly running opponents down.
So, I was fairly sold on somewhat of a controlling and or defensive build rather than being proactive. I likewise could have run just a sliver deck but ultimately I didn't see a ton of slivers that I wasn't running that I was excited about. Going with changelings opened me up to any and all sweet tribal concepts that might get printed now and in the future where as strictly slivers felt like it was going to be a deck that I would tune and then leave for years at a time I really liked how being in all of the tribes felt a lot more diverse in what I got to work with.

Decklist

COMMANDER (1)

PLANESWALKER

Approximate Total Cost:

Last edited by ISBPathfinder 3 years ago, edited 19 times in total.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

NZB2323
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by NZB2323 » 3 years ago

All changeling tribal lists I've seen have used Morophon, the Boundless. Why did you decide to go with Sliver Hivelord?
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

NZB2323 wrote:
3 years ago
All changeling tribal lists I've seen have used Morophon, the Boundless. Why did you decide to go with Sliver Hivelord?
Morophon costs a lot to cast and while its anthem is... ok I felt like it wasn't really worth taking as my commander. I felt like it was better to get a stronger anthem as my commander. Morophon's cost reduction seems a little hit or miss given how expensive they are to cast it probably would take a lot of draw to really make use of the cost reduction. I also felt like Morophon was a little better when specializing on one specific tribe rather than changelings and spreading out over multiple tribal payoffs like I am.

In the end I went back and forth a bit between The First Sliver and Sliver Hivelord as my commander. I might at some point do some testing with both but I felt like given how kind of bland and nothing a lot of the changelings are by default I like the idea of making them a bit sticky or generate value. I honestly don't know which I would prefer but spending a turn on Sliver Hivelord felt like it was going to give me something to stand behind a bit more given how sticky it makes my board.

In my mind, Morophon, the Boundless is designed to help tribes that lack decent commander options or don't have the colors they need for the tribe. The other strong thing that Morophon does is the cost reduction if you can push for a lot of multicolored permanents. It makes me think of sort of a Niv-Mizzet Reborn type of deck where maybe you have incentives to run a lot of multicolored permanents. I honestly don't even know if the payoff is there for Morophon, the Boundless to be honest because the cost of casting them is so high and the anthem they give is so minor. I honestly think that the selling point of Morophon is probably in the cost reduction. If you for instance did a zombie themed deck you could infinitely loop Gravecrawler with Morophon, the Boundless's cost reduction bringing it to be a zero cast. I think its probably the biggest selling point as a commander. I don't think it actually gives a very good buff for what I am trying to do personally.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 3 years ago

Oh, another changeling deck! I have been summoned. Have you gotten many games in with this list?
ISBPathfinder wrote:
3 years ago
Sorry this is a bit rushed just to throw it out at the end of the day. In short though I wanted most of my payoffs for the changelings to be somewhat fast acting. I chose to go with Hivelord just because it felt like it helped me be a bit sticky with what I felt were some underwhelming vanilla creatures.

I tried to look for a lot of the cool little payoffs for playing tribes but ultimately I felt like it was important to still have ramp, draw, and answers. Lots of the tribal based draw effects didn't feel great to me so I went a touch more general on that end because I didn't like a lot of the ones that draw one card per creature of that type cast kind of things.
Changelings are at their core only extremely underwhelming vanilla creatures that need a lot of pay-offs to be worth while and you seem to be quite light on pay-offs.

You seem to be doing a go-wide token build with damage triggers. Pretty sure you really want Kindred Discovery and Yuriko, the Tiger's Shadow. Kindred Discovery draws a card on ETB and attack which is way more consistent than only on attack. Yuriko, the Tiger's Shadow can output a ton of damage and is significantly cheaper to get into play than stuff like Seshiro the Anointed. Yuriko, the Tiger's Shadow is also really good with Congregation at Dawn.

Sylvia Brightspear + Khorvath Brightflame seem really good here. One half lets you double up your damage and draw triggers. The other gives all your changelings haste and evasion which will speed up your decks clock significantly. Cloudshredder Sliver is a redundant effect here. Cover of Darkness is another mass evasion enabler.

Hibernation Sliver give you infinite life with Tolsimir, Friend to Wolves + Morophon, the Boundless and a 1-mana changeling. It also protects Sliver Hivelord from exile effects. Linvala, Shield of Sea Gate also protects Sliver Hivelord from exile effects while also being conditional removal.

If you find you need to kill people more efficiently Avenger of Zendikar, Shared Animosity, Kolaghan, the Storm's Fury, and Crucible of Fire all do a decent job while being on theme.

Glasspool Mimic // Glasspool Shore is a modal land/changeling. It's pretty great.

I find +1/+1 lords to be extremely underwhelming. I think Knights' Charge would do more for you than Lyra Dawnbringer. It would gain you less life but would make your changelings deal extra damage and also provide more wrath protection in case you can't keep Sliver Hivelord around for whatever reason.

Uro, Titan of Nature's Wrath seems really random? I think Herald's Horn would likely save you more mana (if you ever double changeling) or Dragon's Hoard would likely draw you more cards. Malcolm, Keen-Eyed Navigator would generate you more mana while being significantly more vulnerable.
ISBPathfinder wrote:
3 years ago
NOTE: Congregation at Dawn might look SUPER random but my idea was to pair it with The First Sliver and a 4 / 3 mana changelings or slivers and just chain gun a bunch of cool stuff into play. I don't know if that's really worth doing but it seems kinda sweet.
If you want to go really greedy Dwarven Recruiter/Goblin Recruiter are other options. They can set up even longer cascade chains but they don't also find The First Sliver. Dwarven Recruiter can find Magda, Brazen Outlaw. Congregation at Dawn (and the recruiters) works great with Realmwalker.
ISBPathfinder wrote:
3 years ago
NZB2323 wrote:
3 years ago
Morophon costs a lot to cast and while its anthem is... ok I felt like it wasn't really worth taking as my commander. I felt like it was better to get a stronger anthem as my commander. Morophon's cost reduction seems a little hit or miss given how expensive they are to cast it probably would take a lot of draw to really make use of the cost reduction. I also felt like Morophon was a little better when specializing on one specific tribe rather than changelings and spreading out over multiple tribal payoffs like I am.

In the end I went back and forth a bit between The First Sliver and Sliver Hivelord as my commander. I might at some point do some testing with both but I felt like given how kind of bland and nothing a lot of the changelings are by default I like the idea of making them a bit sticky or generate value. I honestly don't know which I would prefer but spending a turn on Sliver Hivelord felt like it was going to give me something to stand behind a bit more given how sticky it makes my board.

In my mind, Morophon, the Boundless is designed to help tribes that lack decent commander options or don't have the colors they need for the tribe. The other strong thing that Morophon does is the cost reduction if you can push for a lot of multicolored permanents. It makes me think of sort of a Niv-Mizzet Reborn type of deck where maybe you have incentives to run a lot of multicolored permanents. I honestly don't even know if the payoff is there for Morophon, the Boundless to be honest because the cost of casting them is so high and the anthem they give is so minor. I honestly think that the selling point of Morophon is probably in the cost reduction. If you for instance did a zombie themed deck you could infinitely loop Gravecrawler with Morophon, the Boundless's cost reduction bringing it to be a zero cast. I think its probably the biggest selling point as a commander. I don't think it actually gives a very good buff for what I am trying to do personally.
In terms of raw deck strength I think The Ur-Dragon is the best as a result of the blanket 1 reduction from the command zone on all changelings speeding up the deck dramatically. Sliver Hivelord is really really strong at keeping your board around though. It will result in noticeably slower but significantly more resilient deck. Morophon, the Boundless is definitely best in the 99.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

materpillar wrote:
3 years ago
Oh, another changeling deck! I have been summoned. Have you gotten many games in with this list?
No, its been tough for me to test still. My LGS closed for some remodels and hasn't been open for play in over a year. I have a few guys locally where we get together about once every month or two to play but we last played about two or three weeks ago. What I have thus far is entirely untested and unproven on my end so just theorycrafting.
materpillar wrote:
3 years ago
Changelings are at their core only extremely underwhelming vanilla creatures that need a lot of pay-offs to be worth while and you seem to be quite light on pay-offs.
Some of my concern was a little bit on how narrow some of the payoffs are / were as well as questioning how many cards I would need to assemble for them to work. I ended up going with more of the payoffs that felt really strong or felt like they could sort of standalone run about and be somewhat decent. Lyra Dawnbringer for example is still kind of a decent card even if she isn't amazing a Baneslayer Angel is still kind of fine in this format even if you don't have a bunch of changelings.

Lots of the changeling payoffs also don't work together well. What I mean by this is along the lines of like what if you draw Gilt-Leaf Archdruid and Wirewood Savage for example (naming a few from your list)? Neither of those cards are really good cards on their own and both of them need follow up changelings to be cast. The archdruid does have the whole tap seven druids thing but I think that is a high number on average making me think its more for the draw a card effect. These lord effects work very poorly en mass with each other and aren't that reasonable of cards on their own.

Some of this lead me to consider how reasonable some of these lord effects are and were on their own or if you just draw a bunch of lords and not enough changelings which totally can happen. I am not saying my approach is correct or anything but the lords can be bad if you draw too many of them too.
materpillar wrote:
3 years ago
You seem to be doing a go-wide token build with damage triggers. Pretty sure you really want Kindred Discovery and Yuriko, the Tiger's Shadow. Kindred Discovery draws a card on ETB and attack which is way more consistent than only on attack. Yuriko, the Tiger's Shadow can output a ton of damage and is significantly cheaper to get into play than stuff like Seshiro the Anointed. Yuriko, the Tiger's Shadow is also really good with Congregation at Dawn.
Kindred Discovery / Yuriko - Some of my fear in general is just that I am not going that wide and my creatures don't have that much evasion. Part of why I did include Toski, Bearer of Secrets for example was that his effect works on the lords as well as the changelings. He is also green which helps for Green Sun's Zenith and being indestructible helps in that he fits the wrath proof concept which I might possibly go harder on if I stay with Sliver Hivelord. Seshiro the Anointed being both draw on connecting and a big anthem also felt like it would add consequence for blocking my creatures in that its much more likely for my vanilla little changelings to kill blockers or give me some draw. Yuriko in comparison doesn't really help me be evasive and the effect only works for my changelings which aren't that evasive which is a lot of the reason I didn't go for that one. I probably should add Kindred Discovery though as it triggers on attacks. I avoided going deep on a ton of Coastal Piracy kind of effects because I am not that wide of a deck nor do I have that much evasion but I think Kindred Discovery triggering just on attack probably makes it good enough that I run it. Toski, Bearer of Secrets might not be quite where I want him to be right now but if I go heavier on sweepers he might be. I have had a hard back and forth on how heavy I want to go on wraths given that a lot of my payoffs won't gain the indestructible from my commander.
materpillar wrote:
3 years ago
Sylvia Brightspear + Khorvath Brightflame seem really good here. One half lets you double up your damage and draw triggers. The other gives all your changelings haste and evasion which will speed up your decks clock significantly. Cloudshredder Sliver is a redundant effect here. Cover of Darkness is another mass evasion enabler.
I debated some of the double strike effects as there are a few options in knights and slivers also. In the end I didn't like the body they came on enough. If I did run one in my current list it would probably be Bonescythe Sliver because my commander would also give him indestructible. I tend to favor slivers primarily with my anthems and dragons as a secondary just given my already existing combination of effects. Khorvath Brightflame really doesn't have any appeal other than being partner tutored by Sylvia Brightspear but I would likely go with the sliver over Sylvia like I mentioned.

In the end though I didn't really like the body that these effects come on and I think it is important to consider those situations where you maybe draw too many lords. Its also important for the lords to be a bit concentrated to the same tribe potentially too. The double strike sliver could happen still I just don't know that I would be excited to draw him but fitting into the same tribe is good. But there is also the question of if double strike is better than something like say Megantic Sliver for just pure stats. Ultimately I think both could potentially happen but I suppose there is something for curving better and having a lower curve in general with Bonescythe Sliver.

Cloudshredder Sliver - It was in my list for a while. I think its a good sliver in general and its something that I would consider when branching out more. Mass flying / indestructible slivers is something that plays good offense and defense. I cut it ultimately because I was cutting back on some of the lesser anthems that didn't help me control the board on their own. I might come back to this one just because it + my commander makes for a fairly reasonable boardstate (assuming I stay with Sliver Hivelord. I had been intending to do some testing with The First Sliver as the commander too)
materpillar wrote:
3 years ago
Hibernation Sliver give you infinite life with Tolsimir, Friend to Wolves + Morophon, the Boundless and a 1-mana changeling. It also protects Sliver Hivelord from exile effects. Linvala, Shield of Sea Gate also protects Sliver Hivelord from exile effects while also being conditional removal.
I don't do infinites so I wouldn't but even if I did combo play that seems like a lot of specific cards and expensive things to cast. Its a 4 card combo involving 15 mana of cards (cost reduce will get two of them so 13 mana). Generally speaking good combos tend to be 2-3 cards and cost less mana. I probably wouldn't bother with it even if I did play combo tactics. I think that Hibernation Sliver is a bit lacking in general and outside of the combo its generally better to ramp or recover with something else as its not that efficient of a protection effect. I guess as a protection vs theft on my indestructible commander its ok but I might as well just have a tutor, exile removal, bounce effect, or homeward path for the same concept.

Linvala, Shield of Sea Gate probably works better in your list than she would with Sliver Hivelord. She still offers the hexproof but I could run Deflecting Swat for that if I really wanted. I could also just have a tutor for Crystalline Sliver though instead. I think Linvala works better when threatening to give indestructible is the primary sacrifice plan rather than mass hexproof. I didn't run her ultimately because I still felt she was rather weak given that she needs 3 changeling friends to enable party and her option to protect felt diminished with my commander choice.
materpillar wrote:
3 years ago
If you find you need to kill people more efficiently Avenger of Zendikar, Shared Animosity, Kolaghan, the Storm's Fury, and Crucible of Fire all do a decent job while being on theme.

Glasspool Mimic // Glasspool Shore is a modal land/changeling. It's pretty great.
I generally don't play a ton of dedicated wincons just as I generally build. I often build more with the idea of making the deck function as the idea. I am more interested when I get started in just seeing the deck work than pushing for wins which often starts me with few dedicated wincons. I actually somewhat of rarely push for dedicated wincon and pressure cards because I would rather see my deck work well then get a weird hand full of anthems.

Glasspool Mimic // Glasspool Shore Its alright. Given that its an ETB tapped land I tend to play it as a nonland card rather than as a land. I did put some thought into clones in general in my list and if I wanted to play some of them. There are also the clones that can copy legendary creatures which I also considered. I am not really sold either way right now but they are a consideration. I figured for the time being I wanted to go without them as cloning most of the changelings seems not very good and getting my payoffs online then cloning them felt a little winmore.
materpillar wrote:
3 years ago
I find +1/+1 lords to be extremely underwhelming. I think Knights' Charge would do more for you than Lyra Dawnbringer. It would gain you less life but would make your changelings deal extra damage and also provide more wrath protection in case you can't keep Sliver Hivelord around for whatever reason.

Uro, Titan of Nature's Wrath seems really random? I think Herald's Horn would likely save you more mana (if you ever double changeling) or Dragon's Hoard would likely draw you more cards. Malcolm, Keen-Eyed Navigator would generate you more mana while being significantly more vulnerable.
Lyra Dawnbringer - To me there were two things about this card that got me to include it. 1) Mass lifelink buys me staying power. I don't have a ton of flying changelings so I felt like I might get pressured in the sky and this lets me rebuy some life and not die to chip damage or aristocrat concepts as easlily. 2) I felt like a baneslayer angel on its own while not great was still a reasonable statline for a lord. If I for example can't stick to the board I can play Lyra out and she isn't terrible. She isn't part of any of my other tribes and won't gain any benefit of my other tribal effects but I felt like as a standalone card, she was still reasonably powerful which is hard to say about a lot of the other lords. Knights' Charge for example is 100% reliant on other creatures and while the rez effect on it is kind of tempting I really don't care much for the trigger it gives as its kind of a weak sustain effect. Lyra is going to give a lot more life in general which was more of what I was going for. I almost ran Syphon Sliver instead given the synergy with my commander but ultimately I felt like Lyra was a good compromise being a reasonable body herself, a small anthem, but ultimately the lifelink, small anthem, and reasonable body all added up to why I ran her.

Uro, Titan of Nature's Wrath - The whole point was that he was another Explore / Growth Spiral effect. He theoretically can come back later but the ETB on him is worth his effect and he threatens to be a real problem if left alone. I own three copies of this guy and he is banned like everywhere else and I really have yet to play him for the most part with covid having been a thing and how little I run UG. I get that this isn't a graveyard deck, he is just a goodstuff ramp card that cantrips and can be a problem later. I don't know that its really fair to compare an over time value card to an ETB one shot. I could just as easily say well all of those fancy artifacts are worthless if they get naturalized immediately after. Value over time effects are generally speaking powerful if you can get them into play early and have them be left alone but they also take time to get their work in. Ultimately, I am still trying to not go too deep on tribal mechanics especially ones that aren't all in sync with one another because they can have bad synergy when you see too many of them.

Herald's Horn - Cost reduction tends to be at its best when chaining a bunch of spells in a turn. Generally speaking you want to be casting 2-3 cards in a turn before cost reduction tends to be good but we also have a big problem with the fact that we are a 5 color deck which means we are hungry for colored mana. I didn't think that my list was going to be chaining a ton of spells in a turn which tends to be when cost reduction is at its best. As far as card draw goes, well... it might 1/4th of the time draw me one card but given what I was saying on my preferences to cost reduction I think its better to pick draw or ramp than it is to have something that is mildly both. You could get something that would probably be better ramp or be better draw. I actually don't think that most tribal decks have that much higher hit ratio than us that run this card but to be honest, I don't feel that this card is really that good for commander where its rare that you get more than 1/3 card draw with this effect. If you look at it in something like a Historic Goblins deck for instance they have probably a 50% or higher hit ratio. I think that this card is a lot better in a 1-2 color tribal deck where the cost reduction is the reason you want to run it personally.

Dragon's Hoard - Maybe.... I am not really fond of three mana artifact ramp to be honest though and it seems like it would take a long time to get its value back out of it. I get that its both draw and ramp but its really miserable at either effect. Its also something that can be target removed or swept. It also seems to get a lot worse if drawn later in the game which is part of why I don't really like these mopy psudo draw psudo ramp cards. It would probably be ok on curve and I think that if you use a somewhat budget landbase I think that some of this style of fixing can be good but I have expensive lands which I intend to use which tends to make explore effects a lot more attractive as my lands fix very well and a late game explore effect just cantrips quickly into the next effect but still ramp early.

Malcolm, Keen-Eyed Navigator - It goes back to my concern with a lack of evasion on a lot of the changelings. I don't go that wide really and a lot of them can easily be chump blocked or superior blocked in combat. For me, I didn't run this for the same reason I am not running a lot of Coastal Piracy effects in that I just don't know how often I will be able to connect. I think that treasure ramp is quite reasonable as its good fixing and temp ramp but I felt like my ability to trigger this just wasn't something I knew how it would go.
materpillar wrote:
3 years ago
If you want to go really greedy Dwarven Recruiter/Goblin Recruiter are other options. They can set up even longer cascade chains but they don't also find The First Sliver. Dwarven Recruiter can find Magda, Brazen Outlaw. Congregation at Dawn (and the recruiters) works great with Realmwalker.

In terms of raw deck strength I think The Ur-Dragon is the best as a result of the blanket 1 reduction from the command zone on all changelings speeding up the deck dramatically. Sliver Hivelord is really really strong at keeping your board around though. It will result in noticeably slower but significantly more resilient deck. Morophon, the Boundless is definitely best in the 99.
Dwarven Recruiter/Goblin Recruiter - Its an interesting thought for chaining out a bunch of changelings. I will be honest in that I didn't really consider this one. Most of these my usual issue would be that they are some weird little bad body but they are kind of self contained in that Realmwalker will let you stack a bunch behind it and chain through them. I guess it would kind of suck if someone counters or spot removes Realmwalker immediately but I could see some spicy turns where you chain through a bunch of creatures. They do force you to set up your next turn which is a bit tough as you forecast what you are doing but it would be easy to chain 3-4 creatures behind Realmwalker just churning through 1-2 mana changelings. Thats an interesting thought and one that probably does really benefit you on your Ur-Dragon cost reduction approach.

I thought about Ur-Dragon but I didn't really value the cost reduction enough. It comes back to a question of how many cards you plan to cast in a turn with said cost reduction. My deck was made up of roughly 1/4th changeling / dragons but I find a lot of cost reduction being in chaining multiple spells in a turn with said reduction. The changelings themselves are also still going to be a bit color intensive even if you cost reduce them and then there is the need to support them with lords that are mostly not cost reduced. For me, cost reduction is better with less colors and more draw than I felt I had. I think that you can shift and adjust in a way to make him effective like with your idea of Dwarven Recruiter/Goblin Recruiter because that would be a great way to shotgun a bunch of changelings with the help of Realmwalker and your commander's cost reduction. Without testing out some of these concepts I can't really say what I would prefer. My plan for now is to try out the two slivers that I have been eyeing but I won't dismiss the idea. I just think that the different commanders give you different benefits and different incentives in building. With my current commander I should probably lean a tad harder on wraths than I am for instance.

I think that my current list is still very rough. Its far from where I want or need it to be. I need to order some cards though and get some testing in but I think you have a lot of insight on this concept. One of my biggest concerns is just that a lot of the lords don't work together well in that if you get a bunch of off tribe lords you can potentially end up changeling light. Its part of why I went with some more generic lords that help all creatures or are decent creatures on their own. I need to test a lot of concepts still though and I likely need to make a bunch of changes. I just don't have enough data yet to really make educated ones (I don't have the deck together nor have I played it yet.

materpillar
the caterpillar

ISBPathfinder wrote:
3 years ago
Some of my concern was a little bit on how narrow some of the payoffs are / were as well as questioning how many cards I would need to assemble for them to work. I ended up going with more of the payoffs that felt really strong or felt like they could sort of standalone run about and be somewhat decent. Lyra Dawnbringer for example is still kind of a decent card even if she isn't amazing a Baneslayer Angel is still kind of fine in this format even if you don't have a bunch of changelings.

Lots of the changeling payoffs also don't work together well. What I mean by this is along the lines of like what if you draw Gilt-Leaf Archdruid and Wirewood Savage for example (naming a few from your list)? Neither of those cards are really good cards on their own and both of them need follow up changelings to be cast. The archdruid does have the whole tap seven druids thing but I think that is a high number on average making me think its more for the draw a card effect. These lord effects work very poorly en mass with each other and aren't that reasonable of cards on their own.
Having 1 changeling and 4 card draw effects nets a total of 4 new cards. Having 1 card draw effect and 4 changelings also results in a net 4 new cards. As long as I have a changeling to trigger the lords, I'm not sure why you think the effects work very poorly en mass? I see it as more lords on board mean more value per changeling cast. I running 18 changelings (20 if you count Maskwood Nexus/Glasspool Mimic // Glasspool Shore), 3 cards that can tutor for changelings and 5 bounce effects to replay my changelings so I'm not overly worried about not having a changeling to trigger my lords.

The thing is having only Gilt-Leaf Archdruid and Wirewood Savage is basically just as bad as having only Gladewalker Ritualist and Littjara Kinseekers. I prefer to have an abundance of lords because the lords are what eat removal spells, no one bothers with the changelings unless its a wrath spell collateral damaging them. Hence I prefer to have more redundant lords than redundant changelings.
ISBPathfinder wrote:
3 years ago
Some of this lead me to consider how reasonable some of these lord effects are and were on their own or if you just draw a bunch of lords and not enough changelings which totally can happen. I am not saying my approach is correct or anything but the lords can be bad if you draw too many of them too.
I've not run into this problem, mostly because I'm running stuff like Walker of Secret Ways and Hibernation Sliver that make it so I only need 1 changeling to have "enough changelings" for the entire game.

Side note: Gilt-Leaf Archdruid and Wirewood Savage are better for me because they let Skyshroud Poacher find lord pay offs or changelings. Also, Gilt-Leaf Archdruid's 7 druids is an alternative late-game win condition with Mirror Entity/Maskwood Nexus, Not common but not flavor text either.

ISBPathfinder wrote:
3 years ago
Kindred Discovery / Yuriko - Some of my fear in general is just that I am not going that wide and my creatures don't have that much evasion.
My instinct is that you're either going to end up needing to go harder on giving the changelings evasion and Coastal Piracy effects or you're going to need to go less hard than your current deck is. I think if Dromoka, the Eternal or Utvara Hellkite eat a Swords to Plowshares your deck is going to flounder really hard.
ISBPathfinder wrote:
3 years ago
I don't do infinites so I wouldn't but even if I did combo play that seems like a lot of specific cards and expensive things to cast. Its a 4 card combo involving 15 mana of cards (cost reduce will get two of them so 13 mana). Generally speaking good combos tend to be 2-3 cards and cost less mana. I probably wouldn't bother with it even if I did play combo tactics. I think that Hibernation Sliver is a bit lacking in general and outside of the combo its generally better to ramp or recover with something else as its not that efficient of a protection effect. I guess as a protection vs theft on my indestructible commander its ok but I might as well just have a tutor, exile removal, bounce effect, or homeward path for the same concept.
Hibernation Sliver is extremely strong offensively with a cheap changeling and a value card like Harmonic Sliver, Risen Reef, and to a less extent The First Sliver. On top of which it also does a great job protecting your board. On top of which it happens to go infinite with a bunch of cards that are already in your deck. It's the best sliver in my deck, although Manaweft Sliver/Gemhide Sliver are really good too.

ISBPathfinder wrote:
3 years ago
In the end though I didn't really like the body that these effects come on and I think it is important to consider those situations where you maybe draw too many lords. Its also important for the lords to be a bit concentrated to the same tribe potentially too. The double strike sliver could happen still I just don't know that I would be excited to draw him but fitting into the same tribe is good. But there is also the question of if double strike is better than something like say Megantic Sliver for just pure stats. Ultimately I think both could potentially happen but I suppose there is something for curving better and having a lower curve in general with Bonescythe Sliver.
I aim to have a many different tribes as possible because otherwise its really really easy to fall into just being a sliver deck. A quick glance at your list and you just swap Gemhide Sliver for Magda, Brazen Outlaw. Synapse Sliver for Seshiro the Anointed. Syphon Sliver for Lyra Dawnbringer. Sliver Legion for Dromoka, the Eternal. Necrotic Sliver/Hunter Sliver for Silumgar, the Drifting Death/Tolsimir, Friend to Wolves. Brood Sliver for Utvara Hellkite. Those swaps don't feel like they change the identity of your deck a whole lot. This is mostly why I don't tend to recommend slivers. If you're focused on having only lords that synergize with each other why not just run a sliver deck?

ISBPathfinder wrote:
3 years ago
Lyra Dawnbringer - To me there were two things about this card that got me to include it. 1) Mass lifelink buys me staying power. I don't have a ton of flying changelings so I felt like I might get pressured in the sky and this lets me rebuy some life and not die to chip damage or aristocrat concepts as easlily. 2) I felt like a baneslayer angel on its own while not great was still a reasonable statline for a lord. If I for example can't stick to the board I can play Lyra out and she isn't terrible. She isn't part of any of my other tribes and won't gain any benefit of my other tribal effects but I felt like as a standalone card, she was still reasonably powerful which is hard to say about a lot of the other lords. Knights' Charge for example is 100% reliant on other creatures and while the rez effect on it is kind of tempting I really don't care much for the trigger it gives as its kind of a weak sustain effect. Lyra is going to give a lot more life in general which was more of what I was going for. I almost ran Syphon Sliver instead given the synergy with my commander but ultimately I felt like Lyra was a good compromise being a reasonable body herself, a small anthem, but ultimately the lifelink, small anthem, and reasonable body all added up to why I ran her.
Lyra Dawnbringer will be fine. I'm wondering how you expect to get much value out of her anthem/lifelink since you don't think you'd be able to get value out of Yuriko, the Tiger's Shadow. She'd be way stronger if you dive deeper into supporting combat triggers.

ISBPathfinder wrote:
3 years ago
Dragon's Hoard - Maybe.... I am not really fond of three mana artifact ramp to be honest though and it seems like it would take a long time to get its value back out of it. I get that its both draw and ramp but its really miserable at either effect. Its also something that can be target removed or swept. It also seems to get a lot worse if drawn later in the game which is part of why I don't really like these mopy psudo draw psudo ramp cards. It would probably be ok on curve and I think that if you use a somewhat budget landbase I think that some of this style of fixing can be good but I have expensive lands which I intend to use which tends to make explore effects a lot more attractive as my lands fix very well and a late game explore effect just cantrips quickly into the next effect but still ramp early.
My personal experience has been very positive. Sometimes it just acts like Phyrexian Arena and that's a really nice option to have in a mana rock.
ISBPathfinder wrote:
3 years ago
Malcolm, Keen-Eyed Navigator - It goes back to my concern with a lack of evasion on a lot of the changelings. I don't go that wide really and a lot of them can easily be chump blocked or superior blocked in combat. For me, I didn't run this for the same reason I am not running a lot of Coastal Piracy effects in that I just don't know how often I will be able to connect. I think that treasure ramp is quite reasonable as its good fixing and temp ramp but I felt like my ability to trigger this just wasn't something I knew how it would go.
Your deck doesn't have anything to do with your changelings other than attack. If you're not getting in with your changelings for damage to trigger your lords then your Littjara Glade-Warden is just a Hill Giant.
ISBPathfinder wrote:
3 years ago
I thought about Ur-Dragon but I didn't really value the cost reduction enough. It comes back to a question of how many cards you plan to cast in a turn with said cost reduction. My deck was made up of roughly 1/4th changeling / dragons but I find a lot of cost reduction being in chaining multiple spells in a turn with said reduction. The changelings themselves are also still going to be a bit color intensive even if you cost reduce them and then there is the need to support them with lords that are mostly not cost reduced. For me, cost reduction is better with less colors and more draw than I felt I had. I think that you can shift and adjust in a way to make him effective like with your idea of Dwarven Recruiter/Goblin Recruiter because that would be a great way to shotgun a bunch of changelings with the help of Realmwalker and your commander's cost reduction. Without testing out some of these concepts I can't really say what I would prefer. My plan for now is to try out the two slivers that I have been eyeing but I won't dismiss the idea. I just think that the different commanders give you different benefits and different incentives in building. With my current commander I should probably lean a tad harder on wraths than I am for instance.
The cost reduction does a lot. It allows for easier infinite combos (Universal Automaton costing 0 is a thing). It allows for you changelings to hit the board before people can establish themselves as well. This gives them pseudo haste and evasion in the very early game. Chaining multiple spells together is also a huge upside. The Ur-Dragon himself is a huge threat and card advantage engine that's extremely easy to cast with Morophon, the Boundless's help.

Not saying you need to run The Ur-Dragon, just saying he does basically everything. I'm extremely pleased with Sliver Hivelord in my deck so I think he'd do a fantastic job. He'd allow you to aggressively over commit to the board and not worry about getting wrecked by an early wrath spell. He also lets you smash a bunch of tiny changelings into a wall of blockers so you can have a few get through to trigger your damage lords and not lose any changelings to the blocks.

ISBPathfinder wrote:
3 years ago
I think that my current list is still very rough. Its far from where I want or need it to be. I need to order some cards though and get some testing in but I think you have a lot of insight on this concept. One of my biggest concerns is just that a lot of the lords don't work together well in that if you get a bunch of off tribe lords you can potentially end up changeling light. Its part of why I went with some more generic lords that help all creatures or are decent creatures on their own. I need to test a lot of concepts still though and I likely need to make a bunch of changes. I just don't have enough data yet to really make educated ones (I don't have the deck together nor have I played it yet.
Just keep in mind good players will burn their removal on your changeling pay-offs not on your changelings themselves. Changelings without payoffs are just Grizzly Bears and Hill Giants. If you're not taking full advantage of the "changeling" line of text your deck isn't going to accomplish a whole lot.

I'd highly recommend Unesh, Criosphinx Sovereign for your deck. He's fine without a changeling (being a mini-FoF) so you'd like that. He also makes your changelings way less expensive. He also lets you refill your hand and dig for your other large ticket finishers.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Ok, well I got one game in and things went generally fairly well for me. I did win the game but obviously one game isn't going to be anywhere near enough testing to really get much of a takeaway other than some general feelings so far. I really liked having Sliver Hivelord as my commander as one of my opponents decks had a heavy fight mechanic concept to it and my commander just shut that down for the most part against me. I did want to see more card draw in general but I got a nice ramp start with the deck and the commander came down nice and early which was nice. Ultimately I think I should probably add a bit more draw and potentially a few more ways to sweep the board. I think with the sweepers I want to up the number of sweepers that won't kill my changelings in the case that someone removes my commander in response so I like some of the tribal sweepers that don't necessarily hit the changelings in the case of responses.

@materpillar I still need more testing but we are approaching this from different angles a bit. There is nothing wrong with that. You do have more experience with this type of deck so I do appreciate your feedback but some things we just don't see eye to eye on. I still think that changelings have trouble in connecting to the face to trigger effects which is why I have avoided Yuriko, the Tiger's Shadow thus far. I do have Toski, Bearer of Secrets in my list so it is a little hipocritical of me but I am also bringing up the sweeper count in my list and I like that Toski lives through that as well as giving his buff to my commander who is of better size than most of the changelings making him force chump blocks often. I haven't gotten to test Toski yet but its part of why I have kept him but not included Yuriko. I also don't feel like I am a beat down deck so I am preferring the superior draw to something that adds a little more pressure as I don't feel like that is my role with this deck.

Sliver Tribal - I didn't just go full on sliver tribal in part because I didn't feel that there were enough slivers that I actually like. There is a give and a take with going changelings instead of a tribe like slivers but ultimately the changelings themselves are worse than slivers but the lords are much better. If slivers had more reasonable slivers instead of just random +1/+1 I might have gone for it but a lot of the slivers are just sort of mediocre to be honest. I really do like that we can use any lord effect and some of them are really spicy. I get that I don't have as many lords in the list as you do but I was also going for more of a control concept than you seem to be. One of the big upsides of Sliver Hivelord is that I can run a bunch of sweepers and potentially affect my board almost none with casting them.

Unesh, Criosphinx Sovereign - Ooo yea I want in on that. Its a pain in the ass trying to search for tribal stuffs lol.

I have less tribal payoffs than materpillar does but I am also hoping to have a more controlling feel to it as well. Some of my changes here were me trying to have a few less things that would get swept as well as those things being higher impact. Its possible that I might explore some of the mana dork slivers yet in place of some of my ramp spells or alongside them but I need more testing before I try that out.

DECK CHANGES:
  • Crystalline SliverHunter Sliver wow I somehow totally overlooked that Hunter Sliver was a thing. I totally love Provoke and the fact that I could drop it in and immediately move to combat using it as removal sounds GREAT. I do really like Crystalline Sliver but I also think that its a bit so so on defense. My original thought was that it would make it harder to exile spot remove my commander but on thinking about it more there are so many effects like Toxic Deluge / Cyclonic Rift that are just universally good cards. I don't know that its really worth spending a card trying to defend on this front. I think that my commander is already going to do a lot on his own and it might be better to just leave things be at that. I might occasionally get caught in the cookie jar with some spot removal but I just don't think its worth running this sliver as of right now.
  • Gladewalker RitualistGuardian Gladewalker I think its better to shift my mana curve down with this. I don't think that the stats are really what I need so I wanted to just lower the curve and have this be a two drop. I was going to make this be Shapesharer but given the cost to obtain that given how I really don't care much about its ability I just opted instead for another two drop. I don't think its a big deal either way which one of these I have.
  • Littjara Glade-WardenKindred Discovery I felt like my draw was a little light and I also felt like my changeling count probably didn't need to be quite where it is right now. I like that Kindred Discovery draws on attack rather on hitting an opponent since a lot of my changelings lack evasion and size.
  • Littjara KinseekersUnesh, Criosphinx Sovereign same as above, I wanted to shift to a little more draw.
  • Magda, Brazen OutlawCrux of Fate With any ramp effect, its going to be stronger earlier and weaker later. I think I have enough ramp / fix and there is a downside with the dwarf in that it needs to be set up with some changelings early. Its still fine if I would draw it later but I would need it paired with more draw. I think instead of trying to proactively chain harder I like the idea of more sweepers that wouldn't hit me too hard if someone screws with my commander in response.

Triomes - lots of the shocklands are sort of secondary fetch targets over the ABU duels in the first place. I think in cases where I would normally bring in a shockland tapped at the end of turn because I don't need the mana could be replaced with some of the trilands who also are forests which are nice for some fixing.
  • Godless ShrineIndatha Triome
  • Steam VentsKetria Triome
  • Sacred FoundryRaugrin Triome
  • Watery GraveZagoth Triome
I need a lot more testing on this list. Hopefully I can get some of that to happen soon. I still need to order a number of the cards for IRL purposes. My testing so far was a digital game but I was pleased enough with the concept that I want to keep going with the project. I don't have anywhere near enough testing to really say much about this deck but I am hoping to be a bit of a controlling type of tribal deck which would be cool.

materpillar
the caterpillar

ISBPathfinder wrote:
3 years ago
Ok, well I got one game in and things went generally fairly well for me. I did win the game but obviously one game isn't going to be anywhere near enough testing to really get much of a takeaway other than some general feelings so far. I really liked having Sliver Hivelord as my commander as one of my opponents decks had a heavy fight mechanic concept to it and my commander just shut that down for the most part against me.
How'd you close out the game, just general creature beats while wrathing a bunch? How competitive/cutthroat is the meta you play in?
Unesh, Criosphinx Sovereign - Ooo yea I want in on that. Its a pain in the ass trying to search for tribal stuffs lol.
Yeah, I've spent a lot of time poking through tribal cards and I still get surprised every now and again. Liliana's Contract is another card draw to consider, especially since all your demons will be indestructible.
[*]Gladewalker RitualistGuardian Gladewalker I think its better to shift my mana curve down with this. I don't think that the stats are really what I need so I wanted to just lower the curve and have this be a two drop. I was going to make this be Shapesharer but given the cost to obtain that given how I really don't care much about its ability I just opted instead for another two drop. I don't think its a big deal either way which one of these I have.
Shapesharer's ability is actually surprisingly good. A few games ago I went infinite with my opponent's Magda, Brazen Outlaw. I've also locked down a board with my opponents Ayula, Queen Among Bears. I find myself activating it frequently enough that it's noticeably stronger than vanilla Changelings like Guardian Gladewalker. Not enough that I'd recommend you bother with it buying one before you've played the deck a ton, but definitely worth keeping an eye out for a cheap copy.

I'm curious to know how Dromoka, the Eternal, Silumgar, the Drifting Death and The Bears of Littjara play out for you because I don't have any personal experience with those cards.

You probably don't have enough non-sliver creatures, but if you ever do Maskwood Nexus and Hivestone can make Sliver Hivelord make everything indestructible.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

materpillar wrote:
3 years ago
ISBPathfinder wrote:
3 years ago
Ok, well I got one game in and things went generally fairly well for me. I did win the game but obviously one game isn't going to be anywhere near enough testing to really get much of a takeaway other than some general feelings so far. I really liked having Sliver Hivelord as my commander as one of my opponents decks had a heavy fight mechanic concept to it and my commander just shut that down for the most part against me.
How'd you close out the game, just general creature beats while wrathing a bunch? How competitive/cutthroat is the meta you play in?
Yeah, I've spent a lot of time poking through tribal cards and I still get surprised every now and again. Liliana's Contract is another card draw to consider, especially since all your demons will be indestructible.
[*]Gladewalker RitualistGuardian Gladewalker I think its better to shift my mana curve down with this. I don't think that the stats are really what I need so I wanted to just lower the curve and have this be a two drop. I was going to make this be Shapesharer but given the cost to obtain that given how I really don't care much about its ability I just opted instead for another two drop. I don't think its a big deal either way which one of these I have.
Shapesharer's ability is actually surprisingly good. A few games ago I went infinite with my opponent's Magda, Brazen Outlaw. I've also locked down a board with my opponents Ayula, Queen Among Bears. I find myself activating it frequently enough that it's noticeably stronger than vanilla Changelings like Guardian Gladewalker. Not enough that I'd recommend you bother with it buying one before you've played the deck a ton, but definitely worth keeping an eye out for a cheap copy.

I'm curious to know how Dromoka, the Eternal, Silumgar, the Drifting Death and The Bears of Littjara play out for you because I don't have any personal experience with those cards.

You probably don't have enough non-sliver creatures, but if you ever do Maskwood Nexus and Hivestone can make Sliver Hivelord make everything indestructible.
I closed it out with 2x Taurean Mauler both of which were like 10-15 powered. I got the second one with Moritte of the Frost. After getting those big I dropped Utvara Hellkite into play and attacked to spawn 4 dragons. After that, they probably could have killed Utvara Hellkite but the 24 damage of dragon tokens it made were going to close things out shortly and they scooped. I also had an Akroma's Vengeance in hand if that plan didn't pan out I was going to sweep them and swing in with the Maulers once they got sufficiently sized assuming they came up with a plan to stop the dragon swarm.

Liliana's Contract - I considered it but similarly to not liking combo I don't really like alt wincons. It seems like a fine card in that drawing 4 cards for 5 mana is probably fine and it gives a wincon I just don't want to win with something like that. Its a personal choice more so than anything else.

Dromoka, the Eternal / Silumgar, the Drifting Death / The Bears of Littjara - I haven't played enough to see any of those three in this deck yet. Of the three I feel like I can talk about Silumgar as I have played with him in a few cases in other places in the past. My meta has a LOT of token and utility creatures in the meta so I really like Silumgar. Even as a standalone creature he has a very big backend and hexproof making him fairly reasonable to cast as he makes for a good blocker that can later threaten opponents tokens. I honestly don't see many decks in my meta that use turn after turn combat so I see a lot of overruns, aristocrats, and some amount of combo. I really only need 1-2 attacking dragons to sometimes sweep most of someone's board. The other really useful thing about this is that in some ways its evasion as it clears out chaff blockers and makes those that are left vulnerable to blocking what is left where in a lot of cases the changelings are only 1/1s and 2/2s it shrinks real creatures down to their size making it hard to block them and removing a lot of excess chump blockers. Its sort of removal and evasion in a sense. I once built a deck with Silumgar at the helm and used some clones that could copy legends which was really fun as that effect in duplicate got crazy fast. There are more clones that can do that now than there used to be so it would probably be fun to revisit at some point.

Maskwood Nexus / Hivestone my hesitation with these sort of cards is that they don't do anything themselves (I get that the nexus makes tokens for a million mana but its a +1 card setup). Giving out more buffs would be nice but it feels a bit overly complicated to share some of that out.

I need to get a lot more testing in. I just don't have enough data yet to really delve as deep as I want with this one. I don't have all of the cards yet for this one so I need to put in some orders. Shipping times have kind of sucked lately too so its probably going to be two weeks after I order before I can physically suite it up.

materpillar
the caterpillar

@ISBPathfinder
It alright if I throw this list into my primer too?

I'll be curious to know your thoughts when you get more plays in.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

materpillar wrote:
3 years ago
@ISBPathfinder
It alright if I throw this list into my primer too?

I'll be curious to know your thoughts when you get more plays in.
Sure thing go for it. You can use a link to this list or copy my decklist. Whatever you want really.

I agree I need a LOT more testing before I really feel confident in standing behind or defending much in my list lol. Our concepts and strategy vary a lot which is totally fine. Some of it comes from a different starting point with commanders for sure probably mixed with just being in different metas. I went a little harder on a sticky more control-ish concept where as you went more for a proactive approach given your cost reduction. I am looking forward to feeling a little more certain of my list after getting another dozen or so games in for testing. On the upside it sounds like my LGS is finally going to allow commander night again coming up here in a few weeks.

Its sort of small but I was reviewing some of the changelings in my list and I think there is room for a few improvements. The downside of this change is that it shifts my curve up a little but I think its important to get what utility out of the changelings that I can naturally or when paired with just my commander so while this does shift my curve up a little I think its worth it to have more relivant changelings.

DECK CHANGES:
  • Skeletal ChangelingVenomous Changeling back when I added the skeleton changeling I was still kind of bouncing around on commanders a bit. Indestructible doesn't mesh with regen very well so for the time being I think I am better served with some deathtouch. Having deathtouch gives me a nice attack or block option especially when paired with indestructible. If my commander were to change I might not go for this but for the time being I think its a better place to be.
  • Bloodline PretenderWebweaver Changeling Giving more thought to the Pretender, I just don't think that the statline is ever going to be all that impressive. I could see it getting to being a 4/4 or 5/5 but it doesn't seem like its going to go much beyond that without curving it in early. My problem is that curving it in is still not amazing and it gets worse the later I draw it. I like the potential to gain some life and drop in a reach blocker for me as I think it fits better with my idea of being more controlling.
I put in an order for the cards I was missing. Unfortunately shipping has been slow of late so I might not have them by next weekend. I guess we will see.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

I was just sort of doing a little bit of thinking about this list and while I don't have nearly enough testing (nor do I know when I will get more yet) I had a few changes I was convincing myself to do after giving a lot of thought to things. Its a little concerning because like I said, I really haven't gotten to do the testing that I should have to do a ton of changes but here we are anyways.

DECK CHANGES:
  • Toski, Bearer of SecretsThe Great Henge my hesitation with a lot of the Coastal Piracy effects is that so many of my creatures lack evasion and for the most part the changelings are easily chump blocked or out sized in combat. I did consider if I wanted to go to Ohran Frostfang for the deathtouch added effect but even then I am not really sure about these effects in here yet. Maybe with more testing I can say more and I might come back to these but I like my creature count in this deck as far as Great Henge and my commander alone can cost reduce it down to being 2GG which I think is fine. It also gives me some ramp and small lifegain added in.
  • Dromoka, the EternalOmnath, Locus of the Roil I love the idea of Dromoka. Getting all of my crappy little changelings to stack two counters on each other can put a lot of power into play very quickly but its still a move that unfortunately takes some time to add up. I would say its probably 2-3 turns of attacks before he really catches up to do crazy things and the complexity of needing changelings + my commander + Dromoka given what the payoff isn't spectacular. Its cute and I really wanted it to happen but if I am being honest, Omnath just doesn't need nearly as much to feel like a payoff and he costs less. Omnath also being potentially a draw engine later sort of just sells me even more on him being a little bit of disruption, pump, and draw.
  • Lyra DawnbringerTrue Conviction I still like Lyra but the power added of True Conviction eclipses her a bit and should give me a lot more lifegain. I was a bit hung up on tribal concepts and while I like staying on theme, True Conviction adds a lot of power and sustain to my commander which I think is worth having.
  • Soul-Guide LanternRelic of Progenitus I realized that I didn't really have any particular reason to have Soul Guide over Relic. I originally thought I would maybe include some recursion but it just didn't really end up being the direction I went with this deck.
  • Growing Rites of ItlimocGemhide Sliver given the sticky nature of my commander I was thinking that a cradle effect could be cute. I just don't think its all that important as I don't have mana sinks and my draw isn't crazy insane. I do also think that its important to fix early and ramp into my gameplan so I am bringing in some of the ramp dork slivers hoping they can speed my early game along.
  • Smothering TitheManaweft Sliver Similarly to with Growing Rites, I don't think that Smothering Tithe really fits the curve into commander plan all that well. I think that a 2-3 mana effect does a lot better job of curving my gameplan so here I am bringing in the other mana dork sliver.
  • Sylvan ScryingWargate this change is a little more color intensive but wargate can function as fix / ramp where as scrying just gets me a land to hand. I think that Wargate is by and large vastly superior when drawn later and its only real downside is that it costs one more mana and is far more color intensive. I think I can probably make it work though and as a GWU tutor any land to play I still think its a great card. Flexibility wise its a great card I haven't used in ages so I kind of forgot about it lol. I haven't been in 5c or bant in a while. It fits the ramp to my commander curve well but I think it becomes so much broader when drawn later and I like cards that work well both early and late.
  • Skyshroud ClaimBounty of Skemfar I think that Bounty fits the curve to commander better and it still can potentially give me a 2 for 1 but in a way that fits the curve better.
  • Stomping GroundExotic Orchard the shocklands have been playing second fiddle to the ABU duals and after adding several of the Triomes I feel like the need to have all of the shocks is a bit less. Orchard is a bit stronger land if drawn and I think that is worth adding.
Lots of these changes were about ramp and curving my gameplan. I think the 2-3 mana ramp is important and it was a re-evaluation of some of the things that didn't feel like they quite fit as far as my curve to commander gameplan previously. I need to get more testing in as far as my draw goes as I am not convinced that I have that squared away but I think I am happy with at least testing the concepts I am changing here out. Coastal Piracy effects might still be good but I feel like in a lot of cases I am relying on having a sweeper to clear opponents boards for me to have the evasion to pull them off.

As of right now, I guess my fear is that I am not interacting all that much with noncreatures. I did do some considering as to if I wanted to include something like Qasali Slingers, Feline Sovereign, or Aura Shards. I considered bringing in Widespread Brutality but I really just couldn't see myself cutting either Cleansing Nova or Akroma's Vengeance without having more testing with this list especially since my interaction with artifacts and enchantments felt a little narrow outside of these effects. I think Harmonic Sliver and Cyclonic Rift were sort of my only two others. Its probable that I just shouldn't be on Widespread Brutality given that my commander gives me protection that I should probably be on actual sweepers to clear fatties and such. I do still need to think about more artifact / enchantment hate in this deck but just mulling over how I was interested in Widespread Brutality in @materpillar's primer then I didn't put it in.

I also could possibly see running more graveyard hate if I can ever make room. Having a single grave hate probably isn't where I want to be given that I am a little heavier on wraths trying to play more of a long game rather than being fast. Nihil Spellbomb is always a great one as its both grave hate and draw. There is also the possibility that I could use some of the multicolored grave hate like Rakdos Charm among other things. For now I need to test more I was just pointing out that this was another area I think needs to be addressed in the future.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Ok, I was writing something up but it asked me to log in out of nowhere and lost my post so, I guess we got a bit faster. I got some 1v1 test games in and overall was very pleased with the deck. My takeaway I guess is that I could use a touch more draw and I felt like I could use a bit better evasion and flying defense so I will probably bring in some of the flying slivers. I had a big suspicion that some of the "on combat damage to an opponent" triggers might be hard and it very much felt like it was true in my testing (although that was thrown off by being 1v1 I still think its true).

The Bears of Littjara is LITERALLY THE BEST CHANGELING. I somehow drew it repeatedly but holy cow the amount of things it does is insane. Its a changeling, its a changeling buff, and its removal. I had one game where I did a T2 changeling into it on T3. It let me start swinging for 8 really early and killed his commander off for me too. Anyone who isn't running this card really really should.

Realm-Cloaked Giant might be one of my actual favorite creatures in this deck being that I can tutor him to hand with a few creature tutors. I might even consider bringing up my to hand creature tutors like Worldly Tutor possibly even just because holy hell it was good. I literally would have died more than once when I found him.

At one point I managed to get Morophon, the Boundless in on slivers to replay my commander for free after a bounce / wrath turn. Morophon + Unesh, Criosphinx Sovereign are a funny little combination I got to put together that was letting me chain 3 drop changelings (for free) at one point. Unesh was really good while he lasted.

I really loved the control elements of this deck as well as the ramp package. I need to work on evasion, draw, and killing players a bit but the ramp and removal elements felt really really good.

DECK CHANGES:
  • Chameleon ColossusShapesharer I did manage to get the colossus once or twice and its REALLY not worth the mana. Maybe if my commander was someone else the pro black might appeal to me more from a defensive blocking perspective. I felt like I wanted more cheap changelings though rather than trying to get something with bigger stats. I guess its time to make this purchase.
  • Pir's WhimMagda, Brazen Outlaw I feel like I am going lower and lower on my utility lands. I started feeling like four mana ramp was too slow and the test games seemed to confirm that for me. I still think that Pir's is... ok but it was a combination of getting utility and disrupting opponents. People have been saying really good things about Magda so I guess I need to give her a shot and see how she goes.
  • MutavaultYuriko, the Tiger's Shadow I saw mutavault and was extremely not impressed. I need my mana to fix and be good and in the first 5 lands its such a liability for me given how color intensive my commander is. I felt like my land count is fine so I am just going to 37 with some cheap draw included.
  • True ConvictionWinged Sliver lowering the curve and going sticky flyer. Its cheap and has good synergy with the commander as just it + commander makes me feel like I could defend myself fairly good and the flying gives me a way to poke people with some of the on combat damage to player effects that I felt I lacked the consistency in ability to connect for. I considered something like Shifting Sliver but I felt like I liked just plain flying more than I did unblockable as I want to be able to defend with cheap changelings too.
  • Webweaver ChangelingCloudshredder Sliver dropping my changeling count by one but I think this is a good play for my commander and as I bring my draw up some I shouldn't notice much of an issue on my changeling count. Plus its a lowering of the curve so I like that.
  • Knowledge ExploitationCryptbreaker I am just not really sure that I need a weird wildcard spellcast. I wanted more consistant draw and I felt like maybe for now I am just going to put this spell on the backburner and see if pushing my own draw a bit more helps me more.
I almost cut Seshiro the Anointed in these changes but in adding the two flyer slivers I felt like I would let him slide for a little longer. He is on the block as maybe something that might get cut next time if I am not more impressed next time.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Ok, I managed a few games last night as my LGS is opened again for commander night. I ordered a bunch of cards that I dictated for changes above but most of them hadn't come in time. I managed to get my Winged Sliver in the mail and I already owned a Cloudshredder Sliver. I managed to see the Winged Sliver when I was pushing hard on draw but ended up discarding it to hand size as flying wasn't immediately my issue as I wasn't ready to attack and the defense plan didn't really involve flyers at that time. Its hardly sufficient testing to really take away anything though as at that time there was a bounce control deck and a ramp deck that were sort of my problems but flying would have been helpful a few turns later. I did do some testing with Enlightened Tutor and Vampiric Tutor as well. Vampiric was fine, enlightened felt not good enough. I probably could still use some cheap and disposable draw in this deck so I will see what I can come up with for that.
Three Games Recap
Show
Hide
Game 1: 3 player FFA, opponents were Marrow-Gnawer (Rat Colony build), and Lathril, Blade of the Elves

I had a bit of a slow start. I got one tribal buff out early (I forget which) and it got shut down immediately by Ruthless Winnower. The Marrow-Gnawer deck was having a hard time getting on board due to the winnower and I just resorted to a changeling defense using Taurean Mauler as my big stick of defense.

Once my Taurean Mauler got large enough I cast The Great Henge and draw one card off of Venomous Changeling. The elf deck then played Nullmage Shepherd (he had like 8-10 random elves a lot of which were just random ETB ramp / mana dorks with a few tokens) and shattered my Henge before I could untap with it. The rat player had a bunch of targets as well and he slowly ate those as well.

I cast a Demonic Tutor getting my Realm-Cloaked Giant ready but given the board state I wasn't really at much of a threat at the time so I put it off a few turns and just slow played things. The elf deck finally found a few lords and gave his elves +2/+2 but couldn't kill me and given an all out attack would only result in something like 20 damage and my choice of removing 2-3 of his creatures he waited another turn. I cashed in my giant and killed off the rat player who was at low life due to not being able to defend himself well from the elves combined with having drawn a bunch of cards off his necropotence before it died. He had a full hand though and the elf deck was more or less topdecking.

The elf player took one last turn and didn't really have anything to stop me. He set up to kill something but I had a Unsettled Mariner so he couldn't kill the mauler due to not having sufficient mana. I cast my commander and sort of sealed the game for myself so he scooped.

Game 2: same opponents same decks.

I hit a T2 Gemhide Sliver, T3 2x changeling, T4 commander T5 Silumgar, the Drifting Death. I attacked each opponent with one changeling and managed to sweep both boards. The elf player was relying on a Priest of Titania to pull him into said game as he lacked lands so killing it was sort of his death. The rat player lost three rats and was equally flat footed and they both scooped that game to me.

Game 3: 4 player ffa game later in the night. Opponents decks were Omnath, Locus of Creation, Omnath, Locus of Mana (he heard the other guy saying he was playing omnath and went for his own version), and Naban, Dean of Iteration (a combo deck with a ton of draw and bounce effects).

Starting off Neban played a Urza's Incubator. The Omnath player was tempted to counter it but the Neban player psyched him out claiming he would just counter his counter and the Omnath player backed down and didn't. I played a Green Sun's Zenith for 3 and ate the Omnath player's Mana Drain..... fun...

Omnath found zero plays and so didn't do anything with his mana..... annoying... Neban ran kicking and screaming into crazy draw as he slapped down Azami, Lady of Scrolls and some junk wizards. The mono green omnath deck did some early ramp and finally gets his commander in and plays with some big mana stuffs. The wizard player keeps bouncing his stuff though.

I Demonic Tutor and go for Risen Reef because I know that a lot of the wizard deck's disruption is counter magic or bounce so I want to push some ETB value rather than over time value from attacking or something.

After a turn or two the green omnath player does a Beast Within on Azami because the wizard deck is doing super not ok things. I believe by then he also had a Kindred Discovery but we all agreed that Azami was probably net drawing him more cards and as the board gets more complicated he is probably going to have a harder time attacking with wizards. The 4c Omnath deck is lacking green somehow and he has just been stuck without most of his deck doing anything watching from the sidelines as the blue wizard deck does everything and we try to stop him. Green Omnath deck keeps getting bounced out by an Archaeomancer flickering / bouncing and recovering things like cyclonic rift that has mostly been single target bouncing him and keeping him off balance as my changelings are junk and the Risen Reef is something he doesn't exactly want to bounce.

I set up Moritte of the Frost as a second Risen Reef and just push draw / ramp. The Bears of Littjara gets going and when it finally gets to level 2 and my creatures are big I set up The Great Henge thanks to a 6/6 Moritte. I draw like.... 1-2 cards off of it and mono green omnath eats that out on me before I can untap with it.

Neban gets a crazy turn where he draws like 30 cards and discards down to seven left. I assume he has a pact of negation or force of will but if I don't act we are just going to die to his shinanigans so I cast Silumgar, the Drifting Death fully expecting a counter that never happens (he is tapped out so really it would have to be one of a few free ones that can counter creatures). I turn sideways at him and strip his blockers and do some damage. I also kill some chaff creatures of green omnath with the Silumgar triggers. This leaves the board as primarily my creatures.

It goes around again and there isn't a ton of changes. The Neban player kept mana up and didn't really commit much to the board with Silumgar still lingering. I smell tricks so I just turn sideways hard on Neban and he uses a Cyclonic Rift overloaded. I set back up with some heavy handed draw thanks to Risen Reef / Moritte of the Frost which leaves me discarding a bunch but with a reasonable board again.

The 4 color omnath deck starts popping off and he ends up with his commander + Tatyova, Benthic Druid, some green planeswalker who ults in two turns, and some other random crap. He plays a bunch of lands and draws a bunch of cards and preps to defend his walker. Neban flounders a bit not seeming especially impressive. He plays out a Laboratory Maniac (still 30-50% of his deck left) which seems suspicious. I replay Silumgar which eats a counterspell that bounces his lab man back to hand. I then wrath creatures after playing my commander and Silumgar (yes I have that much mana). The mono green omnath player could exile my commander but its not really that good of a play as I am committing to remove the green planeswalker and he would really just get the final Risen Reef changeling and like 3ish junk changelings. He values the planeswalker leaving over screwing me over as none of my other remaining creatures are really worth his removal spell. I kill the planeswalker.

The game goes on for a bit more, I eat the green player's exile on The First Sliver when he comes out but I get a bunch of value out of it and a Mirror Entity. When I go to untap with Mirror Entity the Neban player chains a bunch of crap on me trying to tap all my lands and force me to use my mana which he was going to stifle my mirror entity play. I end up fighting him on it with my own counterspell which he has to counter and then I Cyclonic Rift overloaded and Mirror Entity 8/8 creatures afterwards which kills Neban and puts 4c Omnath at like 4hp. Omnath scoops on his next turn and mono green omnath follows his scoop.
So, I guess my take away here is still that my sweepers and control effects have felt really good. It was awkward that I almost blew myself out when I had a sweeper that didn't not kill my changelings normally but I somewhat like my sweeper density right now. Its possible if my draw goes up though that I might feel better about cutting a wrath though.

I still feel like I want a bit more cheap draw probably in over some of the less good removal based lord effects. Silumgar, the Drifting Death, Realm-Cloaked Giant, and Hunter Sliver still seem to sort of highlight some of the better removal in my deck. I think I probably do need to include more artifact / enchantment removal probably on the side of Qasali Slingers.

I also noticed that I feel like I am REALLY heavy on UG lands in my deck. Its possible I might move one of the triomes to the mardu one which I avoided before as it feels like I need a land option that covers non UG because well.... %$#% I have a lot of forests in my landbase to cover some of the Nature's Lore effects. I did previously have Skyshroud Claim in my list at which point I was pushing a tad harder on my forest count but I think its probably for the best to shift a triome away from green given that 2/4 of the ones I run currently both have UG to them its likely that I shift one of those off over to the mardu one.

I don't have any changes as of right now. I was mostly doing a game recap post with this but I am sure I will come up with something soonish.

Haman

Post by Haman » 3 years ago

i have a budget version, my experiences with the deck is that changelings are quite weak.. so i did a 60/40 ratio.. so it's like 18 changelings to 12 changeling payoff..
so from yr non changeling creatures.. .. i suggest

Magda, Brazen Outlaw
Cryptbreaker
Harmonic Sliver
Risen Reef
Tolsimir, Friend to Wolves
The First Sliver
Unesh, Criosphinx Sovereign

Yuriko, the Tiger's Shadow
Seshiro the Anointed
Silumgar, the Drifting Death
Utvara Hellkite

you have about 11 changelings payoff, 7 are cast before changelings 4 after. i think u can add 1 more.. the one that create kraken 9/9 token or kogla or ayula

Cloudshredder Sliver
Gemhide Sliver
Hunter Sliver
Manaweft Sliver
Winged Sliver
Uro, Titan of Nature's Wrath
Omnath, Locus of the Roil
Realm-Cloaked Giant
the rest i did not count them as payoff, as they grants evasion... or do generic goodstuff or ramp

As for the rest of the deck ...
Cateran Summons - i took out, because while getting the masked vandal, graveshifter or mirror entity can win games.. alot of time u need more cards.. i used the green mythos from ikoria instead.

Contested Cliffs - in theory if your deck can fixed the mana properly.. this would be a removal... however.. in practise the meta i am in.. my changelings could never survive. i swopped for a multicolored producing land

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Haman wrote:
3 years ago
i have a budget version, my experiences with the deck is that changelings are quite weak.. so i did a 60/40 ratio.. so it's like 18 changelings to 12 changeling payoff..
so from yr non changeling creatures.. .. i suggest

Magda, Brazen Outlaw
Cryptbreaker
Harmonic Sliver
Risen Reef
Tolsimir, Friend to Wolves
The First Sliver
Unesh, Criosphinx Sovereign

Yuriko, the Tiger's Shadow
Seshiro the Anointed
Silumgar, the Drifting Death
Utvara Hellkite

you have about 11 changelings payoff, 7 are cast before changelings 4 after. i think u can add 1 more.. the one that create kraken 9/9 token or kogla or ayula

Cloudshredder Sliver
Gemhide Sliver
Hunter Sliver
Manaweft Sliver
Winged Sliver
Uro, Titan of Nature's Wrath
Omnath, Locus of the Roil
Realm-Cloaked Giant
the rest i did not count them as payoff, as they grants evasion... or do generic goodstuff or ramp

As for the rest of the deck ...
Cateran Summons - i took out, because while getting the masked vandal, graveshifter or mirror entity can win games.. alot of time u need more cards.. i used the green mythos from ikoria instead.

Contested Cliffs - in theory if your deck can fixed the mana properly.. this would be a removal... however.. in practise the meta i am in.. my changelings could never survive. i swopped for a multicolored producing land
Thanks for stopping in. I guess I should start with just saying something along the lines that I haven't gotten to test enough to really feel certain on any of the counts, consistency of the deck, or what lords I run. So far I have only a handfull of games and I will need a lot more testing before I can really stand behind things and defend what I am and am not running in my own list.

Don't be afraid to run some mana stones as fixing if need be for a budget list. The upside of mana stones is that a number of mana stones at two or three mana can give whatever color you need (ok the two mana ones are a bit limited).

Spawning Kraken - I have been having some trouble with connecting to players to be honest. Lots of the changelings are really easy to block and I only have a few with evasion. I did recently add the flying slivers to the deck so I am sort of doing some testing to see how they go for the deck as far as giving me some evasion. I am not really convinced on where I stand on the ability to connect to a player and I have been strongly considering cutting Seshiro the Anointed due to this as well as needing to keep an eye on Yuriko, the Tiger's Shadow. Token tactics are very common in my meta and its really hard to get past them without some form of evasion for a lot of my creatures.

Kogla, the Titan Ape - Its fine, I am just not really that excited about him to be honest. Duplicant effects are far from efficient and it has its limits in what it can kill being a fight removal. I actually think the attack removal is probably better than his ETB but I just find him slow and not that impressive to be honest. Generally speaking I want my cards to be strong upfront or strong if they live but I just get the feeling that he is just ok value both upfront and over time but for the mana he costs I don't really want it.

Ayula, Queen Among Bears - Changelings really don't fight well. I have like..... 3 that fight well and the rest of them really suck at it. I don't like how she doesn't do much herself and probably takes several changelings behind her to really work. I would need to pump one up first before I could really fight, I just don't like how slow it is to be honest. Its a bit of the issue I have seen with the fighting concept as a whole. It is nice that she is cheap to play but in my mind she has a lot of the same issues as the changelings themselves have which is that in a lot of cases, they can end up doing nothing on their own. I know that we plan to pair things together but if someone removes all your stuff and you are topdecking this isn't what I want to find. I know that is an argument that likely isn't great with a lot of the changelings but that is why I am working on it not being as much of an issue with a lot of my lords. I try to look at a lot of them and say will this plus my commander do something and that is where I try to go.

Cateran Summons - It would depend on the counts in a lot of ways but I would likely cut a number of changelings before I would cut this just given the option to cast it and get a one drop making it a pseudo two drop variation of a one drop at the worst but there are a lot of changelings I really like in different cases other than the ones you mentioned. I know I would personally cut Guardian Gladewalker and a number of two drops likely over cutting this. I know that I have tutored for Taurean Mauler, Venomous Changeling, and Universal Automaton already with this card and I am far from disappointed by it.

Contested Cliffs - Yea I have been seeing the issue with fighting and changelings lately. I guess for me, I don't think its that big of an issue to have one or two utility lands in a deck. I really haven't gotten to test the cliffs enough to really have a stance on it yet but I agree that fighting kind of sucks with changelings but I also think that a colorless land is only an issue in the first few turns and only if you don't have enough colored lands / lands to play. Generally speaking the first five land drops into being able to cast the commander is important but I think having some utility for later is fine. I could also potentially consider something like Volrath's Stronghold to pick up lords that die or a Strip Mine for people who go crazy on cradle / coffers or whatever. I don't think that I am concerned enough about hitting Sliver Hivelord on or before curve that I feel the need to give up on having one or two utility lands but I agree that cliffs might not be the one for this deck but I need more testing to really feel strongly about what utility I do want.

I had intended to make a few adjustments and I think I have my eye on a few more things but right now I think I need to wait and get more testing in. I still think that some cheap draw could be worthwhile as I have felt like the ramp in this deck has been good but I don't always have the right consistency of hands. I find that I have to mulligan a lot of hands that are land / changeling heavy as they just don't do anything.

DECK CHANGES:
  • Tolsimir, Friend to WolvesQasali Slingers my creature removal has been feeling fairly good and I have a lot of concerns with Tolsimir and how big changelings tend to be by default. I like how the Slingers trigger themselves and have a decent toughness reach body to them. It reminds me a bit of an Acidic Slime but it can get more triggers out of it too which I think I am ok with at least doing some testing on that.
  • FarseekEsika, God of the Tree Since adding the triomes to the list I have felt like my fixing has been really good. Farseek is still decent but it brings the land in tapped which happens to make it my least favored ramp effect in the deck currently. I like that Esika can still turn into a T4 commander option but she also gives out a little buff in that she gives vigilance and an option to ramp post attack with my commander. The Prismatic Bridge also seems like a decent option if I draw her later in a game instead of ramp. In a lot of cases ramp tends to get a lot worse when drawn later so its kind of nice to get the option between the effects if I want.
  • Ketria TriomeSavai Triome I have just been getting the impression on a few cases that the number of green triomes is a bit high. I kept a somewhat high consistency of green dual lands originally due to how many fetch a forest effects I had but that number has gone down a bit but my green lands has stayed a bit heavy handed.
EDIT: I put a little thought into if I wanted to pick up a god or two for The World Tree as well. Purphoros, God of the Forge was the only god that seemed like he added much to that effect but I am still not really sure where I stand on him just in general outside of this. Looking into gods for world tree is part of how I stumbled over the thought of Esika which just got me thinking about the card in general and I really liked her.

Haman

Post by Haman » 3 years ago

tolsmir - i used to run it.. but i took out because of it's high cc.
Some cards you need to cast before the changeling, some after...

Qasali Slingers - i also run it, but it's casting is high .. now i use harmonic sliver...

One of the common problem usually is you hold up a hand of lands changeling, but you don't draw any mana sliver... but tolsmir.. You are not going to cast the changelings before tolsmir .. because you want to get the most effects.

b4c - before changeling - cards you want to cast before you cast changelings
afc - After changeling - cards you want to cast after you cast changelings

I believe a good tribal deck is a balance of changeling to tribal payoff ratio and a good balance of b4c and afc in the tribal payoff.

materpillar
the caterpillar

I've been reading all your posts, I just don't know that I have a ton to add a lot of the time since your list is pretty divergent from mine. Also, I don't have a great grasp of your meta and I feel like your deck is pretty tailored for it.
ISBPathfinder wrote:
3 years ago
EDIT: I put a little thought into if I wanted to pick up a god or two for The World Tree as well. Purphoros, God of the Forge was the only god that seemed like he added much to that effect but I am still not really sure where I stand on him just in general outside of this. Looking into gods for world tree is part of how I stumbled over the thought of Esika which just got me thinking about the card in general and I really liked her.
I run The Scarab God as the only non-Changeling god in my list. He's a pretty solid hit off the world tree because he upkeep drains for 10+ with a massive scry to find whatever game ending card you need. Plus if you immediately eat a Rout he can still just solo keep you in the game. I wonder if he's good enough on his own for you to consider him. He doesn't immediately impact the board like you like, but he provides a constant stream of almost guaranteed value.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Haman wrote:
3 years ago
tolsmir - i used to run it.. but i took out because of it's high cc.
Some cards you need to cast before the changeling, some after...

Qasali Slingers - i also run it, but it's casting is high .. now i use harmonic sliver...

One of the common problem usually is you hold up a hand of lands changeling, but you don't draw any mana sliver... but tolsmir.. You are not going to cast the changelings before tolsmir .. because you want to get the most effects.

b4c - before changeling - cards you want to cast before you cast changelings
afc - After changeling - cards you want to cast after you cast changelings

I believe a good tribal deck is a balance of changeling to tribal payoff ratio and a good balance of b4c and afc in the tribal payoff.
My favorite effects tend to be those that don't require me to cast more changelings / specific creature type after casting them but so long as they have a decent trigger for entering themselves I am sort of ok with it.

Qasali Slingers - I get you on this one. Some of the problem was that I felt like Harmonic Sliver was my only option. Outside of him I had like two sweepers that could hit artifact and enchantments and I just felt like even with tutors I was too dependent on one single card. Harmonic being a sliver also gives him protection from my commander but I just really needed more redundancy on my artifact and enchantment removal. I think that even with him being an on ETB cat effect given that he triggers himself still gives me an acceptable effect on casting him that requires opponents to answer him still on top of him being removal. Opponents having spot removal also doesn't stop me from getting at least one removal effect from him. I am not super excited about him but I think its a better effect than what tolsmir was going to give me.

I agree that there is definitely a balance of bad vanilla creatures and the payoffs for running them that I have almost zero confidence that I have figured out. As the card draw gets better though I am sure that some amount of them could likely get cut but as of right now I don't feel like I have enough draw and I haven't seen tribal based draw that I am all that excited for so I am mostly contemplating some non tribal draw offhand but I just haven't seen a lot that I am excited and trying to run as of yet.
materpillar wrote:
3 years ago
I've been reading all your posts, I just don't know that I have a ton to add a lot of the time since your list is pretty divergent from mine. Also, I don't have a great grasp of your meta and I feel like your deck is pretty tailored for it.
ISBPathfinder wrote:
3 years ago
I run The Scarab God as the only non-Changeling god in my list. He's a pretty solid hit off the world tree because he upkeep drains for 10+ with a massive scry to find whatever game ending card you need. Plus if you immediately eat a Rout he can still just solo keep you in the game. I wonder if he's good enough on his own for you to consider him. He doesn't immediately impact the board like you like, but he provides a constant stream of almost guaranteed value.
I probably did undervalue the upkeep trigger of The Scarab God. In a lot of decks where I had considered him in the past, I value him a lot more for his activated abilities and when I saw him in your list I jumped to the difference in commanders and how I don't actually have that many changelings die on me. I still see some of my payoff creatures get killed but a lot of my things tend to get bounced or exiled instead it seems. There are still times where someone disrupts my commander and suddenly some of my attackers or defenders will die off but in large I felt like the point of this god (traditionally) tends to be more about the activated ability which I didn't feel I supported as well.

That all said, I think I did under value some of the upkeep trigger with him and if someone wants to burn exile removal on him instead of some other important thing in my list that might be good. I will definitely keep that in mind. I don't know if I will include him right now but I will try to see if I can work him in when I come up with more changes.

materpillar
the caterpillar

ISBPathfinder wrote:
3 years ago
I probably did undervalue the upkeep trigger of The Scarab God. In a lot of decks where I had considered him in the past, I value him a lot more for his activated abilities and when I saw him in your list I jumped to the difference in commanders and how I don't actually have that many changelings die on me. I still see some of my payoff creatures get killed but a lot of my things tend to get bounced or exiled instead it seems. There are still times where someone disrupts my commander and suddenly some of my attackers or defenders will die off but in large I felt like the point of this god (traditionally) tends to be more about the activated ability which I didn't feel I supported as well.

That all said, I think I did under value some of the upkeep trigger with him and if someone wants to burn exile removal on him instead of some other important thing in my list that might be good. I will definitely keep that in mind. I don't know if I will include him right now but I will try to see if I can work him in when I come up with more changes.
I don't get a whole lot of value from his upkeep trigger but it is really relevant specifically off of The World Tree. I don't really have him in my list to reanimate my own stuff. Usually I cast him if I've gotten burned out of action, then I eat value stuff out of my opponents' graveyards. I view him as late game insurance as opposed to heavily synergistic with my other strategies.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

I won't go through it all but I had a few games the other day. The first game went fairly well and I found some draw and ramp and managed to do plenty of things. I believe I closed the game out with a Utvara Hellkite making like 3 dragons the first turn and the following turn I had enough pressure to kill my opponents just barely. I managed to see some of the flying sliver action and it was just.... ok. In the second game I had a complete lack of draw and I started topdecking dead fairly quickly. I ended up dying to the fact that my opponents were doing primarily non combat damage via aristocrats and an opposing Yuriko, the Tiger's Shadow which put an unblockable enchantment on which killed me off. I think I took something like 15-20 from the aristocrats deck and another 15+ from 3 triggers of Yuriko and I just couldn't gain life and I had sort of zero draw that game.

I think this is me sort of at the end of my willingness to test the flying sliver concept. I just don't see enough value in just giving myself evasion. I have been saying it for a while but I need more draw and I am still seeing that in that when I draw the wrong part of my deck (the lands / ramp / changelings) I end up just not having cards that are impactful enough. I really like this deck but I have too many cards that feel a bit blank that chaining them together can lead me to stall super hard on drawing more cards.

DECK CHANGES:
  • Cloudshredder SliverSyphon Sliver well, I am not convinced that this will really pay off but I want some lifegain in the deck and the idea of flying defense has been largely not what I need it seems. I have felt like my disruption in this deck has been fairly good but I lack means to keep my life where it needs to be vs things that do a lot of non combat damage. Even just having one option in deck can really help with a few tutors so I am dropping the flyers and adding one decent source of repeatable lifegain here.
  • Winged SliverGempalm Incinerator some of my issue with the flying slivers is just that they felt about as vanilla as the changelings in that they have no draw / removal aspects to them. They + commander can give me a decent board but if someone is playing combo or not attacking me directly as their gameplan they fell off a bit. I like bringing in Gempalm Incinerator even though I doubt I will ever do more than 2-3 damage in most cases with him, even when he is sort of a dead draw he can still usually cycle himself off at instant speed. The cheap instant speed removal seems totally fine to me.
  • Seshiro the Anointed Varina, Lich Queen I have been dissatisfied with Seshiro for too long. Its time for him to get cut. Varina isn't draw per say but its good card selection with some lifegain mixed in and it triggers on attack rather than on connecting which I think is really good.
  • Utvara HellkiteGrothama, All-Devouring I still think Utvara might fit in here but some of my issue is that it isn't immediate pressure on opponents its a next turn thing and it costs a lot of mana and setup to be like a threaten future beatings sort of setup. I haven't been disappointed with him but I have also been fairly lucky in that the few times I have drawn him have been times I have been set up rather than finding him early or in many opening hands. Grothama isn't a changeling or tribal concept add so much as a synergy with my commander concept. Sliver Hivelord lets me en mass fight the wurm with a small risk if someone can disrupt my commander in response but what I like about the concept is that it lets me draw cards beyond just a draw = greatest power effect which tends to be my commander at 5 power. It lets me use the changelings in my deck and draw off of those in addition to my commander's power. In an ideal setup, I could draw like 11 cards for 5 mana while having my card draw being a green creature which helps for creature tutors and things like Green Sun's Zenith. The worst scenario would be if someone can bounce / exile / transform or whatever my commander after I put all of my fight effects on the stack. Its possible Grothama could fight all of my changelings and not die while eating my whole board. That said, I think its really a cool and flavorful add that adds meaning to my commander being who they are as they give me a level of protection to try this even if it is a bit risky I think the number of cards drawn for the mana is good here and its a cool interaction with my commander choice.
  • Congregation at DawnChord of Calling I originally didn't quite grasp the idea of chaining cascade slivers together as I forgot that The First Sliver has to resolve before the next ones will have cascade so its not...... quite as good. I felt like with all of the vanilla changelings which are not always tapped it would be easy to fuel a Chord for some extra mana and the GGG cost is easily reduced with the number of green creatures I have in list.
  • Sol RingSavor the Moment it seems a bit odd but..... I really haven't been that impressed with Sol Ring in this deck. I often want to curve into my commander early and honestly I have been thrilled with every variation of Explore that I have been able to get my hands on. Even at three mana Uro has been fantastic for me so I guess this is me just moving to another Explore effect.
  • Nature's LoreThe Scarab God I really do like these efficient two mana getting a land untapped ramp cards but with lacking draw I really started to notice that they felt worse as the game went on where as several of the ones that just cantrip felt better to me as there was a chance that instead of just drawing a land I could draw into action instead with them. I think that the heavy abundance of changelings and the need for more draw is part of why I am feeling like I need to potentially pull back a touch on my ramp package and for right now. I really unfortunately haven't gotten enough testing in with most of the mana dorks other than the mana slivers which feel great because my commander protects them. We will see yet on the others and its possible that I put these back in later. The Scarab God is a bit of a combination of effects but given my commander's protection I actually have a lot of lord effects get spot removed by destroy spot removal so he could give me some scry, some damage, and some recursion / grave hate. If someone uses some level of premium exile removal on him, its possible that is not on my commander in some spooky situation so I think I am sort of ok with that.
  • Three VisitsPainful Truths Same thing as with Nature's Lore on the ramp thing. I just want some more efficient and effective draw. I often like this sort of effect in the 2-3 mana. I could go for something like Fact or Fiction as well but I think I want to keep it a little cheaper and just keep it moving rather than shifting to instant speed for more mana.
  • Contested CliffsGaea's Cradle I just, haven't ended up using cliffs hardly at all. I have exactly two changelings that have at least 3 power and even the ones with two power aren't that plentiful. In the end, its not been used at all in my list in part because I usually have actual removal as I planned for that. Cradle can potentially do some really silly stuff later on which gives me some mid to late game ramp assuming I get some good draw online. I originally held off on putting cradle in my list because it was in another of my decks but I think I am killing that deck which frees up my cradle which I think I am ok putting here.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 3 years ago

Maskwood Nexus seems really good here. It doesn't have a hideous immediate impact, but it turns all your dudes to changelings allowing further buff spreading.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
3 years ago
Maskwood Nexus seems really good here. It doesn't have a hideous immediate impact, but it turns all your dudes to changelings allowing further buff spreading.
I play with the thought that anything and everything I play will die likely before my next turn so I mostly play on the assumption that anything that the payoff for playing is more than a turn out often isn't worth my time playing it. It isn't to say that things don't ever live for me but as an example.... I believe I have played out The Great Henge in this deck 2-3 times now. I have not once ever untapped with that card but I continue to play it because its payoff for me tends to be on the same turn it is played and while someone could Naturalize it in response to my first creature cast, it generally pays for itself before I would pass my turn.

The changelings I run already have an extreme negative value debt to them in that most of them are not what I would consider to be worth a card on their own. I have to ring a TON of value out of every non changeling trying to make up for that negative debt that they bring with them which means that I need a lot of cards to carry a hell of a lot of weight for me.

I get the appeal of Maskwood Nexus but what I see when I look at that card is another card that has a long term payoff to it. If someone kills this card before my next turn its about the same as having not taken a turn. The changelings are bad enough but I intentionally chose a commander who could protect them which makes my life a little easier vs sweepers as I keep from resetting the massive negative debt that the changelings contain in keeping them alive and not requiring more and more of them all the time.

My opinion of Maskwood Nexus is that it has a 3+ turns of living to payoff ratio. Casting the Nexus does very little (almost nothing) on its own. My commander in this case could potentially protect some of my payoff cards but if I have my commander + payoff cards in play in the first place then I am probably already doing just fine. If my goal in playing this card is just to push my commander into some buffs and my commander's buff onto some buffers.... well I honestly don't think that does enough. The changelings for 3 mana per are decent but paying 7 mana to have a nexus + a changeling from it is outrageously over priced. The protection it would add is easily trumped by instead including a counterspell instead of nexus. My total opinion of nexus is that it takes too long to pay for itself when my assumption is that literally everything I ever do will die before the next turn. When things do live its great, but I play as if everything I have done will be undone every single turn and let things that live be a pleasant surprise rather than play with assumptions that my opponents won't tear everything down or win before I get another turn.

I have seen in the primer that everyone loves Maskwood Nexus. But I also see a lot of decks that run a lot of long term payoffs. I guess maybe there is more removal or something in my meta. I see plenty of cutthroat decks and honestly.... it just doesn't cut it in my meta. I have to move super fast and be brutal in removing things while drawing cards and assume that at every curve I am going to get cut off. I don't actually think I have lost a game yet to anything shy of combo, noncombat direct damage to the face, or ridiculous overrun tactics. This deck is very good against a lot of repeat combat based tactics but I can fall apart to lots of removal and combo like things. I guess my point in all this is that I don't see how Maskwood Nexus would be a positive asset against any of that.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 3 years ago

@ISBPathfinder I suppose this files down to a difference in opinion. I'm totally willing to play high-risk payoffs and hedge against them being removed because usually they'll win the game if left unchecked. Imo, maskwood is not that kind of card. It's a solid little conspiracy thing, but nothing about it screams "must remove!" to me. I understand your objections on paper, but I suggest you try it out anyway. I think you'll find it sticks to the board better than you anticipate and if I'm wrong, I'll wait patiently for the "I told you so".

Also, even in a high removal meta, I'm not sure it's a great mentality to work off the assumption that nothing will survive a turn cycle. One of the foremost mtg lessons I learned was "Make them have it", "it" being removal, counters, whatever. If I don't know what responses my opponents may have, all I can do strategically is force them to choose to use those answers (if they have them) or die. Can't live in fear and shouldn't bet against yourself.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
3 years ago
@ISBPathfinder I suppose this files down to a difference in opinion. I'm totally willing to play high-risk payoffs and hedge against them being removed because usually they'll win the game if left unchecked. Imo, maskwood is not that kind of card. It's a solid little conspiracy thing, but nothing about it screams "must remove!" to me. I understand your objections on paper, but I suggest you try it out anyway. I think you'll find it sticks to the board better than you anticipate and if I'm wrong, I'll wait patiently for the "I told you so".

Also, even in a high removal meta, I'm not sure it's a great mentality to work off the assumption that nothing will survive a turn cycle. One of the foremost mtg lessons I learned was "Make them have it", "it" being removal, counters, whatever. If I don't know what responses my opponents may have, all I can do strategically is force them to choose to use those answers (if they have them) or die. Can't live in fear and shouldn't bet against yourself.
I am not saying it is wrong to make an opponent have it, I am saying that I don't believe the card is good even when it does go without being removed. It costs four mana and does very very little needing a lot of setup to accomplish anything or time. If I was unwilling to make my opponents have it, I wouldn't be running The Great Henge given its track record of always dying the same turn but I still run it because its payoff time is incredibly fast and it will take over the game if left alone.

Lets do a little excersise. Lets say that we have a situation of commander + 2 changelings and walk through the non changeling payoffs with maskwood:
  • Cryptbreaker - minor improvement in that my commander protects and I have +1 zombie total.
  • Gemhide Sliver - almost zero improvement as nothing is added.
  • Gempalm Incinerator - +1 goblin in my commander. super small
  • Hunter Sliver - almost zero improvement as nothing is added.
  • Magda, Brazen Outlaw - easier for Magda to survive allowing her to attack and my commander to gen treasure. It also opens up the tutor which is nice. I would say this is a medium add in that it has immediate impact on the board and the tutor does get a lot better.
  • Manaweft Sliver - almost zero improvement as nothing is added.
  • Esika, God of the Tree - small improvement in protecting Esika
  • Harmonic Sliver - almost zero improvement as nothing is added.
  • Risen Reef - small improvement in protecting reef and allowing more future plays to gen value. Its a future play more than a now play though.
  • Syphon Sliver - almost zero improvement as nothing is added.
  • Uro, Titan of Nature's Wrath - minimal improvement in that he is just a good card. It does protect Uro if he is staying in play but you already got Uro to untap in play.
  • Yuriko, the Tiger's Shadow - small improvement in making commander a ninja. I think its bigger than making her indestructible because it puts more pressure on needing to block him but he also lacks evasion so.... ehhh.
  • Omnath, Locus of the Roil - small improvement, protects omnath and lets him put counters on the commander.
  • Varina, Lich Queen - small improvement in protecting Varina and letting me loot one more time off of commander.
  • Grothama, All-Devouring - big negative in that I then can't control killing Grothama. It puts me more vulnerable to an opponent later removing my commander and attacking to kill Grothama.
  • Qasali Slingers - small improvement mostly in just protecting slingers. Not much else.
  • The First Sliver - no real change.
  • The Scarab God - not much of a change here as he self recurs making exile removal primarily what was going to deal with him anyways.
  • Silumgar, the Drifting Death - given the natural hexproof protecting him with my commander is actually probably stronger than most of the eneablers being protected by my commander. I guess I will give this a medium low relivance.
  • Unesh, Criosphinx Sovereign - fairly small, it doesn't do anything other than some level of protection primarily upfront.
  • Realm-Cloaked Giant - nothing in this situation but it could let me sweep and not remove my enablers as a later effect. Its unlikely that I nexus + sweep in the same turn though.
  • The Great Henge - no real change
  • Kindred Discovery - small benefit if I have some other non sliver payoffs in play. I generally name Sliver though so no real change given the situation I highligted.
Like I was saying, I hate this card because I just don't see it doing much. I highlighted exactly one card where I felt like it did something relevant other than a super minor defensive boost. If I were going to run a card just for defense though, why would it not be more counterspells though? In a nutshell, I feel like including Maskwood Nexus is primarily along the lines of including a Darksteel Plate or Lightning Greaves level of include here and I don't see why I would run those cards in this deck. I could not come up with many situations that playing out the Maskwood Nexus accomplished anything really for me. Most of it was small redundancy protection with the assumption that it was left alone which I just don't see a reason to do.

Most of what I see it doing is being slow and clunky and down the road making me some 3 mana changelings. The three mana changelings is sadly the most impressive part of what I see it doing for me and I really don't see myself justifying the card for that.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”