[Off-Topic] Community Chat Thread

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Guardman » 10 months ago

So in lighter heart news, I was reading the comments for this article about sharks possibly doing cocaine in the waters off of Florida, and someone put the following prompt into ChatGPT: "Need plot and D-list actors for a movie about sharks eating cocaine off the coast of Miami"
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Title: "Miami Shark Mayhem"

Plot Summary: "Miami Shark Mayhem" is a campy and wild action-comedy that takes a humorous and absurd approach to the concept of sharks encountering cocaine off the coast of Miami. In this over-the-top movie, an accidental collision between a drug-smuggling boat and a marine research vessel results in a massive spill of cocaine into the ocean. Unbeknownst to both parties, the cocaine-laced water attracts a school of sharks, causing them to ingest the illegal substance.

As the sharks consume the cocaine-infused water, they exhibit unusual behavior, turning into hyper-aggressive, speedy, and unpredictable predators. The local authorities, including the quirky Sheriff Johnson, team up with an eccentric marine biologist, Dr. Morgan "Fish" Fischer, to confront the bizarre situation.

With Miami's pristine beaches packed with oblivious tourists, the chaos begins as the drug-crazed sharks embark on a hilarious rampage, attacking boats, jet-skis, and even attempting to surf! The media quickly catches wind of the "party sharks," and the city's reputation is at stake.

Meanwhile, a group of quirky locals, including a daring beach bum, a rollerblading street performer, and a retired circus performer with a fear of water, find themselves accidentally caught in the middle of the mayhem. Now, they must join forces to outwit the drug-smugglers, protect the innocent, and save Miami from becoming a laughingstock.

D-list Actors and Characters:
  • Sheriff Johnson - Rob Schneider - A bumbling and well-meaning sheriff who is initially skeptical about the shark situation but must step up to the challenge when the chaos unfolds.
  • Dr. Morgan "Fish" Fischer - Tara Reid - A quirky and unconventional marine biologist who has an unorthodox approach to her research and an obsession with sharks. She becomes the unexpected hero of the story.
  • Jack "Surf's Up" Thompson - David Hasselhoff - A washed-up former pro surfer who now runs a rundown surf school. He finds himself in the middle of the shark mayhem and must face his fears to save the day.
  • Carla Rodriguez - Carmen Electra - A sassy and street-smart local who, along with her rollerblading crew, takes it upon themselves to protect the beachgoers from the sharks.
  • Hector "The Great" Hernandez - Carrot Top - A retired circus performer and self-proclaimed daredevil who has a phobia of water. He reluctantly becomes the group's comic relief as they navigate the shark-infested waters.
"Miami Shark Mayhem" is a zany and light-hearted movie filled with ridiculous antics, unexpected heroics, and hilarious mishaps. It celebrates the spirit of Miami's vibrant culture while delivering a fun-filled ride that will leave the audience entertained and laughing throughout.
Chef's kiss. No notes. Can't wait to watch it in 2025.

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 10 months ago

Guardman wrote:
10 months ago
So in lighter heart news, I was reading the comments for this article about sharks possibly doing cocaine in the waters off of Florida, and someone put the following prompt into ChatGPT: "Need plot and D-list actors for a movie about sharks eating cocaine off the coast of Miami"
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Title: "Miami Shark Mayhem"

Plot Summary: "Miami Shark Mayhem" is a campy and wild action-comedy that takes a humorous and absurd approach to the concept of sharks encountering cocaine off the coast of Miami. In this over-the-top movie, an accidental collision between a drug-smuggling boat and a marine research vessel results in a massive spill of cocaine into the ocean. Unbeknownst to both parties, the cocaine-laced water attracts a school of sharks, causing them to ingest the illegal substance.

As the sharks consume the cocaine-infused water, they exhibit unusual behavior, turning into hyper-aggressive, speedy, and unpredictable predators. The local authorities, including the quirky Sheriff Johnson, team up with an eccentric marine biologist, Dr. Morgan "Fish" Fischer, to confront the bizarre situation.

With Miami's pristine beaches packed with oblivious tourists, the chaos begins as the drug-crazed sharks embark on a hilarious rampage, attacking boats, jet-skis, and even attempting to surf! The media quickly catches wind of the "party sharks," and the city's reputation is at stake.

Meanwhile, a group of quirky locals, including a daring beach bum, a rollerblading street performer, and a retired circus performer with a fear of water, find themselves accidentally caught in the middle of the mayhem. Now, they must join forces to outwit the drug-smugglers, protect the innocent, and save Miami from becoming a laughingstock.

D-list Actors and Characters:
  • Sheriff Johnson - Rob Schneider - A bumbling and well-meaning sheriff who is initially skeptical about the shark situation but must step up to the challenge when the chaos unfolds.
  • Dr. Morgan "Fish" Fischer - Tara Reid - A quirky and unconventional marine biologist who has an unorthodox approach to her research and an obsession with sharks. She becomes the unexpected hero of the story.
  • Jack "Surf's Up" Thompson - David Hasselhoff - A washed-up former pro surfer who now runs a rundown surf school. He finds himself in the middle of the shark mayhem and must face his fears to save the day.
  • Carla Rodriguez - Carmen Electra - A sassy and street-smart local who, along with her rollerblading crew, takes it upon themselves to protect the beachgoers from the sharks.
  • Hector "The Great" Hernandez - Carrot Top - A retired circus performer and self-proclaimed daredevil who has a phobia of water. He reluctantly becomes the group's comic relief as they navigate the shark-infested waters.
"Miami Shark Mayhem" is a zany and light-hearted movie filled with ridiculous antics, unexpected heroics, and hilarious mishaps. It celebrates the spirit of Miami's vibrant culture while delivering a fun-filled ride that will leave the audience entertained and laughing throughout.
Chef's kiss. No notes. Can't wait to watch it in 2025.
*syfy suits sweating*
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Dunadain » 10 months ago

So back on the topic of AI I just watched Mission Impossible 7. It's really good (I'm a sucker for action movies, so take that with a grain of salt), but like every other AI villain movie, the Mcguffin that will destroy the AI it's awfully contrived. I hope we aren't nearly as close to "sentient" AI as some people think, but I'm convinced we don't stand a chance against it if we are.
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Zask, Phelddagriff
Other: Karrthus, Eris, Emiel, The Blessed, Ruhan, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

Hermes_

Dunadain wrote:
10 months ago
So back on the topic of AI I just watched Mission Impossible 7. It's really good (I'm a sucker for action movies, so take that with a grain of salt), but like every other AI villain movie, the Mcguffin that will destroy the AI it's awfully contrived. I hope we aren't nearly as close to "sentient" AI as some people think, but I'm convinced we don't stand a chance against it if we are.
At least they were kind of smart about it instead of going with Eagle Eye's AI which can somehow cause power lines to snap :woozy:

Dunadain
I like turtles

Hermes_ wrote:
10 months ago
Dunadain wrote:
10 months ago
At least they were kind of smart about it instead of going with Eagle Eye's AI which can somehow cause power lines to snap :woozy:
It makes sense if you don't think about it! ;)

Other: Karrthus, Eris, Emiel, The Blessed, Ruhan, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 10 months ago

Dunadain wrote:
10 months ago
I hope we aren't nearly as close to "sentient" AI as some people think, but I'm convinced we don't stand a chance against it if we are.
I think depends on where you are. Down here in the south, we have enough firepower to devastate the entire regional power grid ninety times over AT LEAST. Considering how ready and willing people here are to fight off a tyrranical government, I imagine a tyrranical AI has about 2 days before the region completely unplugs itself in rebellion. Electricity is nice, but freedom is better.

Granted if you ain't got the guns and/or can't provide your own food (via hunting, farming, gardening, etc), you're probably screwed. C'est la vie, you all should move here. It is by far the greatest place on Earth except when it's not.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Dunadain
I like turtles

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
10 months ago
Dunadain wrote:
10 months ago
I hope we aren't nearly as close to "sentient" AI as some people think, but I'm convinced we don't stand a chance against it if we are.
I think depends on where you are. Down here in the south, we have enough firepower to devastate the entire regional power grid ninety times over AT LEAST. Considering how ready and willing people here are to fight off a tyrranical government, I imagine a tyrranical AI has about 2 days before the region completely unplugs itself in rebellion. Electricity is nice, but freedom is better.

Granted if you ain't got the guns and/or can't provide your own food (via hunting, farming, gardening, etc), you're probably screwed. C'est la vie, you all should move here. It is by far the greatest place on Earth except when it's not.
Can't tell of this is a bit or not.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

Dunadain wrote:
10 months ago
TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
10 months ago
Dunadain wrote:
10 months ago

Can't tell of this is a bit or not.
It might be, but that doesn't make it any less true.

EDIT: just in case you don't believe me though, check this out https://www.fayobserver.com/story/news/ ... 699328007/

Last year, some nutjob killed the power for 40k people in my state with a handful of rifle bullets and about 10 minutes. Any hypothetical evil AI doesn't stand a ghost of a chance assuming it wants to use America's %$#% infrastructure as life support. We will just destroy it and be done with it. It wouldn't even be all that difficult tbh.
Last edited by TheAmericanSpirit 10 months ago, edited 1 time in total.

pokken

Post by pokken » 10 months ago

Any time anyone starts talking about fighting off a tyrranical government all I can think is Meal Team Six and Gravy Seals memes. I grew up with a bunch of militia-sympathisers and I wouldn't count on them to fight off anything worse than a tyrranical dinner buffet.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

pokken wrote:
10 months ago
Any time anyone starts talking about fighting off a tyrranical government all I can think is Meal Team Six and Gravy Seals memes. I grew up with a bunch of militia-sympathisers and I wouldn't count on them to fight off anything worse than a tyrranical dinner buffet.
I'd sooner bet on the combat efficacy of the Gravy Seals than I would on the hacks in Silicon Valley to ethically develop AI, that's for sure. Besides, even if I'm wrong and Meal Team Six and I go down swinging against the terminators, better that than being subjugated by the unintended consequences of some pale nerd's wet dream of convenience.

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 10 months ago

Gentlemen, gentlemen, please. We're all %$#% regardless. Keep your petty squabbles to yourselves and save the thread for shared anti-AI sentiment.

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 10 months ago

Even if we had sentient AI today (instead of what amounts to a very elaborate recombination of stolen information) I don't think AI is going to be able to outpace humans when it comes to ruining everything. We'll always be #1.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 10 months ago

Lifeless wrote:
10 months ago
Even if we had sentient AI today (instead of what amounts to a very elaborate recombination of stolen information) I don't think AI is going to be able to outpace humans when it comes to ruining everything. We'll always be #1.
Agreed. We will choke on our hubris long before the machines truly rise.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 10 months ago

The weird tipping point with AI is when it can improve itself / the next AI assuming that is allowed. I know that sort of screams skynet but to some degree its also the objective in figuring out AI enough to let it make AI better and then domino things from there. Right now AI is very narrow in how it can be used and its primarily search function / Q&A focused rather than having real intelligence.

I do have a lot of faith in what AI can do in the long run its just a question of getting there without creating skynet. My actual concern isn't as much of the ability for it to replace humans so much as we get close to figuring out AI or shortly after the ability for AI to defeat our current security systems might be....... bad.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

5colorsrainbow

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 10 months ago

cheonice wrote:
10 months ago
5colorsrainbow wrote:
10 months ago
The Barbie movie is a pink infused absurdist drug trip that is laced with feminism 101 teachings. 9/10 I couldn't stop laughing.
Margot Robbie and Ryan Gosling did a fantastic job as Barbie and Ken. Really enjoyable. It's fascinating that this kind of movie can even exist (corporate advertisement feat. an actual great movie). And I'll take all the chances to bring feminism 101 to the masses.

Best quote: "What if there's beach? You'll need someone professional in that."

Now let's see, what Oppenheimer has to offer other than that familiar feeling of dread. Got my tickets on tuesday.
Whole cast just brought A grade acting, America Ferrera was a stand out to me even tho she will be over shadowed by Robbie and Gosling. I cant wait for it to come on streaming to rewatch it again and I kinda wanna write an essay on it (after I finish my Phyrexia War story arc essay/review/retrospect and my review of Little Mermaid (2023) x.x).
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

cheonice
Death to Chronos.

Post by cheonice » 10 months ago

5colorsrainbow wrote:
10 months ago
cheonice wrote:
10 months ago
5colorsrainbow wrote:
10 months ago
The Barbie movie is a pink infused absurdist drug trip that is laced with feminism 101 teachings. 9/10 I couldn't stop laughing.
Margot Robbie and Ryan Gosling did a fantastic job as Barbie and Ken. Really enjoyable. It's fascinating that this kind of movie can even exist (corporate advertisement feat. an actual great movie). And I'll take all the chances to bring feminism 101 to the masses.

Best quote: "What if there's beach? You'll need someone professional in that."

Now let's see, what Oppenheimer has to offer other than that familiar feeling of dread. Got my tickets on tuesday.
Whole cast just brought A grade acting, America Ferrera was a stand out to me even tho she will be over shadowed by Robbie and Gosling. I cant wait for it to come on streaming to rewatch it again and I kinda wanna write an essay on it (after I finish my Phyrexia War story arc essay/review/retrospect and my review of Little Mermaid (2023) x.x).
Yep, she was great, too. Her speech at the climax of the movie was really on point and suprisingly not cringy. Michael Cera was an excellent choice, too.

Oppenheimer also had a superb cast. I'm suprised how much I liked the movie, despite some issues. While there were some characters with more pacifistic or leftist views, they were quickly sidelined. It would've served the movie well, if these opinions got more screen time, to develop Oppenheimer scruples better. Nontheless, the pictures were really great.

I did the Double Feature (Barbie on Sunday, Oppenheimer on Tuesday) and yes, both movies touch similar topics. Polygon has a nice article about the connecting themes.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Barbie was ok.... I just felt like there were like 5 scenes / jokes I liked and the rest of the time it felt like an awkward movie I was waiting to be funny again.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 10 months ago

So, i'm rewriting my primer at a snails' pace and while that's a lot of fun, updating the budget section i came to realize that by replacing 12 nonlands and going to a fully functional budget (mono) manabase the deck drops from $400 to just $85...

On the one hand it's very cool to be able to recommend such a potent list at that price, on the other hand it show how bs the WotC reprint policy is. Why wasn't Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx ($30) in Theros 2!? Why wasn't Grinding Station ($10) ever reprinted!? Why did they reprint Lotus Petal ($20) only in Mystery Boosters, an FtV and as an Invention!? Reprint Inventors' Fair ($10) somewhere, you fools!

Don't get me wrong, i'm already in a very Privileged Position, as someone who started playing MTG so early that lots of now overprized cards came into my possession for a fraction of todays price. But yet when i'm reading the fixing lands thread it's wild that some folks speak of ABUR dual, fetch and shock optimized manabases as if those aren't four digits in a lot of cases. I don't think it should be like that.
I'm playing with a lot of people that started out like 2-5 years ago and the price point asked of them just to keep up with some seasoned players and their collections is absurd to say the least. e.g. if the RL would be banned in Commander by default i wouldn't mind at all. Or abolished so all that overprized stuff could be reprinted...

/end of rant

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Toshi wrote:
10 months ago
So, i'm rewriting my primer at a snails' pace and while that's a lot of fun, updating the budget section i came to realize that by replacing 12 nonlands and going to a fully functional budget (mono) manabase the deck drops from $400 to just $85...

On the one hand it's very cool to be able to recommend such a potent list at that price, on the other hand it show how bs the WotC reprint policy is. Why wasn't Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx ($30) in Theros 2!? Why wasn't Grinding Station ($10) ever reprinted!? Why did they reprint Lotus Petal ($20) only in Mystery Boosters, an FtV and as an Invention!? Reprint Inventors' Fair ($10) somewhere, you fools!

Don't get me wrong, i'm already in a very Privileged Position, as someone who started playing MTG so early that lots of now overprized cards came into my possession for a fraction of todays price. But yet when i'm reading the fixing lands thread it's wild that some folks speak of ABUR dual, fetch and shock optimized manabases as if those aren't four digits in a lot of cases. I don't think it should be like that.
I'm playing with a lot of people that started out like 2-5 years ago and the price point asked of them just to keep up with some seasoned players and their collections is absurd to say the least. e.g. if the RL would be banned in Commander by default i wouldn't mind at all. Or abolished so all that overprized stuff could be reprinted...

/end of rant
Its actually not so bad to keep up with an established player you just have to be more content with making your current deck / decks work than building something new every other week. Try to keep the colors down or even to mono color where possible and in a lot of cases its a few hundred dollars at most per deck without going too extreme on a budget. A few hundred dollars is still a lot but if you start on a precon it can be done rather cheaply and maintained. Its just so fun to deckbuild and that's where you get in trouble as a newer player.

Its worth mentioning that the value of a lot of the older stuff keeps dropping for this game. ABU duels for instance while still really really good drop in value as they continue to make good land alternatives. Things like Triomes and some other always enter untapped duals like the ones that count for 2+ opponents are also relatively affordable and if they keep making things like that then landbases can become more diverse and cheaper.

Dunadain
I like turtles

I'm not saying it fixes the core issue but... proxy. the game is so much more fun for everyone when everyone gets to make the deck they want to make.

The fact that most of the budget is tied up in mana bases makes it even worse, budget doesn't really impose any interesting restrictions, it just means you don't get to cast your spells as consistently as you otherwise might.

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 10 months ago

Proxies are (thankfully) becoming more and more mainstream all the time. I can't even remember the last time I heard someone complain about them in person and there's tons of Etsy shops that sell them openly discussed all over the MTG internet.

Wizards is going out of their way to separate the collection aspect from the game play aspect, the players need to follow suit.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Its actually probably somewhat dangerous for Wizards to really acknowledge from the standpoint that it hurts sales if people just make their own proxies. Sure, that second rate proxy that is official looks nicer but the point of proxies in the first place is to save you money instead of owning expensive cards or duplicate copies of it. Why pay a percentage of the real price for a proxy when your printer can do it well... not free but really dirt cheap in comparison.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 10 months ago

Dunadain wrote:
10 months ago
I'm not saying it fixes the core issue but... proxy. the game is so much more fun for everyone when everyone gets to make the deck they want to make.
I'm pretty keen to do this, because I'm at the point where my mainstay decks are about as good as they can be without pouring liquid money into them, but I'll be honest, I hear this from a lot of people without them elaborating on the how. I don't want sharpie on a basic, if I'm gonna proxy, it better look decent enough and pass for a legitimate card. Not for the purposes of scamming anyone, moreso for the fact that I'm not gonna proxy a whole deck, just the money cards.

As an aside I think it does fix the issue to a major extent: it's voting with your wallet, and this game should be more affordable than it is. I think the only real loser in this scenario is LGSes, but if they didn't have the chase cards to sell you anyway you're not exactly taking money away from them that you would have spent there anyway, so it all kind of balances out.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Hermes_

ISBPathfinder wrote:
10 months ago
Its actually probably somewhat dangerous for Wizards to really acknowledge from the standpoint that it hurts sales if people just make their own proxies. Sure, that second rate proxy that is official looks nicer but the point of proxies in the first place is to save you money instead of owning expensive cards or duplicate copies of it. Why pay a percentage of the real price for a proxy when your printer can do it well... not free but really dirt cheap in comparison.
toctheyounger wrote:
10 months ago
Dunadain wrote:
10 months ago
I'm pretty keen to do this, because I'm at the point where my mainstay decks are about as good as they can be without pouring liquid money into them, but I'll be honest, I hear this from a lot of people without them elaborating on the how. I don't want sharpie on a basic, if I'm gonna proxy, it better look decent enough and pass for a legitimate card. Not for the purposes of scamming anyone, moreso for the fact that I'm not gonna proxy a whole deck, just the money cards.

As an aside I think it does fix the issue to a major extent: it's voting with your wallet, and this game should be more affordable than it is. I think the only real loser in this scenario is LGSes, but if they didn't have the chase cards to sell you anyway you're not exactly taking money away from them that you would have spent there anyway, so it all kind of balances out.
It comes down to figuring out the right cardstock and cutting along the lines unless you go the etsy route and have them do the printing and cutting. Last night while playing, one my friends asked if i lad a list because I explained how my printer doesn't like me using cardstock, so I'm gonna put together a list of the money cards I'd need to make one of my decks cedh (mainly the rocks) and just go from there

pokken

Post by pokken » 10 months ago

Based on my experience I would strongly suggest making CEDH decks entirely proxies. It's not that much pricier and you can keep the entire deck with different backs so it looks good and you're not out any money if you lose it, you can loan it out, etc.

back when I was doing CEDH I had 3-4 full proxy decks I could loan out, and they were super handy to have.

All the proxy cardstock is *slightly* different feel from normal cards, so you will eventually be able to tell which cards are proxies. At least, again, that was my experience that lead me to sticking to proxies for CEDH decks. I have a handful of proxies from that day and age that I use but they're purely dual lands that I already have, so having 1-2 in a deck doesn't seem to stick out like having 10-15 does.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”