The Community Deck Build Project v2.0

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison
Pronoun: he / him

Post by 3drinks » 1 year ago

Archon of Emeria and Tortured Existence have both been confirmed.

I'll yay Resourceful Defense, Satyr Wayfinder, and Buried Alive. Well, tbf, I'm halfway in the camp of naying resourceful defense in favour of Ozolith, but that only stores +1/+1 counters. So resourceful defense is still likely best at what it offer.

For today, in the spirit of the big dino, I suggest Whitekroma.

Archon of Emeria yay - 3 nay - 0
Tortured Existence yay - 4 nay - 0

Satyr Wayfinder yay - 1 nay - 1
Resourceful Defense yay - 2 nay - 0
Buried Alive yay - 2 nay - 0
Akroma, Angel of Wrath yay - 0 nay - 0
Steel Sabotage'ng Orbs of Mellowness since 2011.

I collect Kaalia of the Vast normal-size cards. Do you have any extra taking up space in your binder? Help me grow my collection! :)

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by kirkusjones » 1 year ago

Yea to Resourceful Defense and Buried Alive. My nomination for today is Archfiend of Ifnir. Synergy with our cycling and discard pieces, cycles itself to provide flying.

RedCheese

Post by RedCheese » 1 year ago

Yay for Buried Alive, Akroma and Ifnir. Nay on Satyr Wayfinder. I like the card, but since we going the cycling route, maybe we should make space for them for the graveyard fill part of the deck. On the fence for Resourceful Defense.

Nomination as one of the hate bears is Yasharn, Implacable Earth. Hateboar that has an ETB trigger for the Astrals. Very good against treasures that are way too common these days.

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 1 year ago

Satyr Wayfinder Nay. If the Astral enchantments Flickered then it would be delightfully abusable. Returning at the beginning of the next end step, not so much.
Resourceful Defense Yay. Seems very effective alongside Kathril and has broad potential as well.
Buried Alive Yay. Get those keywords in the grave and curve into Kathril. Good late game too, especially to reload after graveyard hate has been spent.
Akroma, Angel of Wrath Yay. Keywords galore.
Archfiend of Ifnir Yay. Kill weenies, shrink fatties, all while drawing cards.
Yasharn, Implacable Earth Yay. Lacks keywords but is a nice tie into both hatebears and sliding, assuming there's enough basics to make it relevant.

I suggest Eerie Ultimatum. It's a killer comeback card. Especially when Kathril is out of commission.
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

I started participating in this because I figured it would scratch my deckbuilding itch without having to follow through and build the deck in paper. I've been slowly selling off my collection and only keeping five active decks, none of which run white. But you mad geniuses may make me break my "no white decks" rule with this one. Damn youse!

I know we bicker about card choices and power levels, but this (and the previous project) have been an absolute blast.

EDIT - yea Eerie Ultimatum. Killer card, killer art. Yea Akroma. Former mayor of Keyword City.

3drinks

Resourceful Whitekroma, and buried alive have been confirmed in. Satyr wayfinder has been axed.

I yay archfiend of Ifnir for the confirm. I'll yay eerie Ultimatum too.

I'm going to nay Yasharn because it turns off the sac outlets ghsybdll good Abzan decks should be running.

Satyr Wayfinder yay - 1 nay - 3
Resourceful Defense yay - 4 nay - 0
Buried Alive yay - 4 nay - 0
Akroma, Angel of Wrath yay - 3 nay - 0
Archfiend of Ifnir yay - 3 nay - 0

Yasharn, implacable earth yay - 1 nay - 1
Eerie Ultimatum yay - 2 nay - 0
Last edited by 3drinks 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.

I collect Kaalia of the Vast normal-size cards. Do you have any extra taking up space in your binder? Help me grow my collection! :)

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

3drinks

kirkusjones wrote:
1 year ago
I know we bicker about card choices and power levels, but this (and the previous project) have been an absolute blast.
I'm so happy this project has been so well received.

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

Gentle Giant
It's all jank, always has been

Post by Gentle Giant » 1 year ago

I'm not sure we need to have sac outlets in this deck per definition: what do we need to sac and why? I like the flickerability of Yasharn, Implacable Earth and it shuts off some pretty important effects.

So unless we're also tacking on something aristocraty, which I don't think we need, I yay Yasharn. Also a yay for eerie interlude, such a sick card and a nice plan B.

Just went through out indestructible options: Avacyn is an obvious one, but I propose Oketra the True. Gives both double strike and indestructible, two very enticing (and less common) keywords in one card. (Alternatively, if we are going a more aristocraty route, Bontu is also a strong option)
Remember: not everyone is intent on 'growing as a player', analysing their meta and adapting to it, etc. For some people, Magic is just another board game.

Decklists:
A boy and his dog: an adventure (Rograkh & Yoshimaru) | Storytelling, Jank, Cute
Averna, Roulette Croupier: Cascade Chaos | Cascade, Chaos, Group Choices
The Ur-Dragon Tribal Tribal | Randomized Batches, Diverse, Quirky
Zirda, Patron Goddess of Trash Artisanry | Trash for Treasure, Artifact Aristocrats, low-powered

3drinks

I'd argue we always need a way to sacrifice our own stuff. Whether you're dodging theft effects, or saving a key card from exile, or just killing something to resurrect it.......

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 1 year ago

Are we trying to Voltron with Kathril?
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 5/26/24 (Modern Horizons III)

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 1 year ago

I was going through creatures with hexproof and I ran into Dhalsim, Pliable Pacifist. From what's been discussed in a Card creation thread regarding a specific challenge that demanded reflection upon what does having an ability mean, I reckon that printed words, "gains" clauses and "has" clauses mean the creature has tje ability. Considering the wording on Dhalsim, which includas an "unless" (rather than an "as long as", such as in Thrasta, Tempest's Roar) would it grant hexproof? My hypotheses is that it will, but I'd like to see what you people think.

Another case is Eradicator Valkyrie, which gives Hexproof from planeswalkers. Would it grant hexproof?

I'll yay Oketra and Yasharn. I am nominating Lae'zel, Vlaakith's Champion. It will effectively double +1 Kathril's +1/+1 counters by duplicating ETB counters (Which are redundant, but nice to have if we can.move them around).

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Henlock wrote:
1 year ago
I was going through creatures with hexproof and I ran into Dhalsim, Pliable Pacifist. From what's been discussed in a Card creation thread regarding a specific challenge that demanded reflection upon what does having an ability mean, I reckon that printed words, "gains" clauses and "has" clauses mean the creature has tje ability. Considering the wording on Dhalsim, which includas an "unless" (rather than an "as long as", such as in Thrasta, Tempest's Roar) would it grant hexproof? My hypotheses is that it will, but I'd like to see what you people think.

Another case is Eradicator Valkyrie, which gives Hexproof from planeswalkers. Would it grant hexproof?

I'll yay Oketra and Yasharn. I am nominating Lae'zel, Vlaakith's Champion. It will effectively double +1 Kathril's +1/+1 counters by duplicating ETB counters (Which are redundant, but nice to have if we can.move them around).
No, it wouldn't work like that. The valkyrie would specifically grant hexproof from planeswalkers, not hexproof proper. Thrasta wouldn't give us hexproof either. :(
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 5/26/24 (Modern Horizons III)

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 1 year ago

RxPhantom wrote:
1 year ago
Are we trying to Voltron with Kathril?
I believe so but with its ability as opposed to Auras & Equipment.
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

3drinks

I'm not so sure Voltron is going to be impressive. You have this five mv 3/3 which is a really slow start to Voltron people out. Rather, I'd think kathril's role is to be a hub of ability distribution + lord of extinction level threat that will eventually have to be dealt with (can't just take 12 after all).

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

Ertai Planeswalker

Post by Ertai Planeswalker » 1 year ago

3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
I'm not so sure Voltron is going to be impressive. You have this five mv 3/3 which is a really slow start to Voltron people out. Rather, I'd think kathril's role is to be a hub of ability distribution + lord of extinction level threat that will eventually have to be dealt with (can't just take 12 after all).
Agreed, though I would still like to nominate Rogue's Passage because of this option. I always like to pair it with big commanders to ensure being able to commander damage someone out.

I also yea Yasharn, Implacable Earth and nay Eerie Ultimatum. As i alluded to in my earlier post, i feel we're already going in to many directions at once, adding sacrifice/aristocrats on top of that too will hurt more then it helps i think so Yasharn brings enough value to include it. Playing Eerie Ultimatum will immediately turn off Kathril as there will be no keywords in the yard anymore so that seems counterproductive (pun definitly intended). If you then get boardwiped with exile or bounce you have no board AND need to start setting up again. Kathril is a nice insurance to be immediately threatening post wipe and keep up the pressure.

aliciaofthevast
Phyrexian Flesh Agent
Pronoun: she / her

Post by aliciaofthevast » 1 year ago

Oh, I remember what I was going to suggest. Scryb Ranger! There's all sorts of neat tricks you can do with it, and it's got two abilities in the graveyard for Kathril! Pretty good for two mana I think!

Crazy Monkey
Arcane Themes

Post by Crazy Monkey » 1 year ago

Yea Oketra the True, those are some good keuwords.
Yea Yasharn, Implacable Earth for an EtB ability and stopping a power set of cards.
Nay on Eerie Ultimatum because I think that it brings back too much when I think some creatures need to stay in the graveyard.
Abstain on Scryb Ranger because I could see it making sense, but the protection ability doesn't get counted. Kind of ambivalent on it as only giving flying.
Abstain on Rogue's Passage for now. If we end up more voltron, the yea. If we end up with a bunch of cycling lands that enter tapped, it feels hard to swing a colorless land to me.

I'm going to nominate with the intention of rounding out the defensive ability keywords. I nominate Sigarda, Host of Herons as our hexproof source that also can protect the board and has another keyword for good measure. I was leaning towards a different option to try an round out a Buried Alive ability package, but this is probably the more generally useful source.
Commander Decks

Kemba | Kytheon | Talrand | Unesh | Teferi | Geth | primer Zada | Krenko | Torbran | Patron Orochi | Ghalta | Gargos | Medomai | The Count | Xenagos | Nikya | Jaheira, Artisan | Trostani | Athreos | Jarad | Ivy | Nin | Krark & Sakashima | Feather | Osgir | Gisela | Roon | Chulane | Sydri | Ertai | Mairsil | Vial & Malcolm | Prossh | Marath | Marisi | Syr Gwyn | Riku | Riku | Animar | Ghave | Tasigur | Muldrotha | Rayami | Zedruu | Yidris | Kynaios & Tiro | Saskia | Tymna & Kydele | Atraxa | Akiri & Silas | Sisay | Ur Dragon | Bridge | Horde | Najeela | Genju | Traxos

3drinks

Yasharn, Implacable Earth has been confirmed.

I'll yay Oketra, Scryb Ranger, and Sigarda.

I do not think Rogue's Passage is advisable in a 3c deck. Maybe if someone nominated Shizo, Death's Storehouse though it'd be an easier sell for this effect. Nay on Lae'zel as well, this isn't really doing anything we can't already do.

I believe you are misreading Eerie Ultimatum, both @Crazy Monkey and @Ertai Planeswalker. It says "return any number", not "return all". You never have to dig stuff up that you'd rather stay buried. In that light, there's no downside here.

For today's card, our curve is looking high and so in an effort to get back to midrange cards, I present Vile Entomber. It brings a keyword to the table and plants something in the yard. And is fantastic to get slid.

Yasharn, implacable earth yay - 4 nay - 1
Eerie Ultimatum yay - 2 nay - 2
Oketra, the True yay - 2 nay - 0
Lae'zel, Vlaakith's Champion yay - 0 nay - 1
Rogue's Passage yay - 0 nay - 1
Scryb Ranger yay - 1 nay - 0
Sigarda, Host of Herons yay - 1 nay - 0
Vile Entomber yay - 0 nay - 0

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Nay to Eerie Ultimatum. How often do we want things exiting the graveyard as opposed to being Kathril fuel? Nay to Scryb Ranger because it'll only grant flying and not protection, though if its ability is more relevant than I think, I'm open to discussion.

Enthusiastic yays to Lae'zel, Vlaakith's Champion because it's exactly what we want to be doing. Kathril-ing something like Zetalpa, Primal Dawn with Lae'zel on the field lets us get extra, valuable counters to distribute. Lae'zel was made for Kathril. More enthusiastic yays to Oketra the True and Sigarda, Host of Herons for being strong cards that would just be good to cast if needed, and not necessarily dumped into the graveyard first. Finally, yay to Vile Entomber.

I want to table Rogue's Passage. I'm not worried about putting it in a 3-color mana base, but it may turn out that other utility lands may need to take up those precious slots. I don't want it nayed out of the process yet.

Finally, my nomination today is Sunblade Angel, which of course contributes to this fine, simmering cauldron of keyword soup.

EDIT: Aside from The Ozolith, are there ways to redistribute counters?

EDIT again: I found Nesting Grounds and Slippery Bogbonder.

Gentle Giant
It's all jank, always has been

Post by Gentle Giant » 1 year ago

Am I missing something about Lae'zel, Vlaakith's Champion ? What is the benefit of having multiples of the same keyword counter on a creature?
Remember: not everyone is intent on 'growing as a player', analysing their meta and adapting to it, etc. For some people, Magic is just another board game.

Decklists:
A boy and his dog: an adventure (Rograkh & Yoshimaru) | Storytelling, Jank, Cute
Averna, Roulette Croupier: Cascade Chaos | Cascade, Chaos, Group Choices
The Ur-Dragon Tribal Tribal | Randomized Batches, Diverse, Quirky
Zirda, Patron Goddess of Trash Artisanry | Trash for Treasure, Artifact Aristocrats, low-powered

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Yea to Oketra, Sigarda, Sunblade Angel and Entomber.

Eerie Ultimatum seems like a good plan B if Kathril gets commander taxed into oblivion.

I agree with 3drinks, we should probably start looking at options lower on the curve. In that spirit, my suggestion for today is Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord. Provides us with a powerful sac outlet and possible win condition, as well as being a graveyard-based beatstick.

3drinks

I want to yay Jarad so hard but it's gonna get nayed because of Yasharn. Sac outlets are a good things guys....
Gentle Giant wrote:
1 year ago
Am I missing something about Lae'zel, Vlaakith's Champion ? What is the benefit of having multiples of the same keyword counter on a creature?
that's exactly why I nayed it.

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Worst comes to worst, we cycle and slide Yasharn, Implacable Earth out to allow Jarad to function. And they're not always guaranteed to show up together, unless we plan on running lots of tutors.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Gentle Giant wrote:
1 year ago
Aren't we going to be moving them around?

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

RxPhantom wrote:
1 year ago
Gentle Giant wrote:
1 year ago
Aren't we going to be moving them around?
Maybe? Is there a way to eat counters for a benefit, too? I'd be more on board with Lae'zel if there is.

EDIT - a quick search turns up Fain, the Broker, but it seems a little slow and another non-bo with Yasharn, Implacable Earth.
Last edited by kirkusjones 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”