Zirda, Patron Goddess of Trash Artisanry (Boros Artifact Aristocrats)

Gentle Giant
It's all jank, always has been
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Gentle Giant » 1 year ago

Zirda, Patron Goddess of Trash Artisanry

Premise

Within this deck, one man's trash is another man's religious practice. The apostles within this deck try to appease their one true goddess. They do so by constantly tinkering and making something out of the trash they made the day before. Other clergy within the deck serve either the dubious honour of being trashed and rebuilt constantly, are in charge of breaking down the old to make room for the new, or channel the wrath of their goddess towards the enemy. Only through the continuous mantra of create → trash → rebuild will the goddess remain benevolent to its followers!

Themes

Apostles of Trash

While probably a tad overboard in terms of numbers, these fervent servants of the Dawnwaker want nothing more than to tinker for their goddess' favour. Some with different intent than others, but the gist is that they recycle what's been destroyed and keep both the battlefield as well as the graveyard in constant flux.

Trash for the Trash Goddess!

The amount of trash in this deck is immense (true for the whole deck, really :P). That's both to give us an assortment of what to retrieve as well as just the sheer number necessary to both ensure that we have enough to retrieve and have on the battlefield at the same time. Currently the selection is very unrefined, so there's definitely work to be done here.

Creators of Trash

Aside from the pieces of trash, this deck wants additional ways of getting them in the graveyard to start recycling. That's both due to discarding them for other cards, saccing them for damage (which is also somewhat channeling the goddess' wrath), or simply making trash tokens! These cards are in charge of getting and keeping things flowing.

Channel the Goddess' Wrath

What does all that churning do? Well, pleading for the favour of our patron goddess, we ask her to rid us of our enemies! This is done through burning our opponents through 1-damage triggers, or by sending a large Dragon or Trashbot their way.

Channel the Goddess' Benevolence

We don't just plead for destruction, but creative strength too! The goddess favours the diligent and empowers them to go beyond their limits. In doing so, she enhances their tapping capabilities.

Decklist

Decklist

Name of Commander

Approximate Total Cost:

Further additions/thoughts

- The list is currently incomplete, because it was an even worse wreck when I started this write-up. I made this deck when I had a strong cold and it shows...
- Yes, Zirda isn't exactly the best commander here in terms of actually giving discounts to the trash apostles themselves, I'm thinking of ways to change this without gutting my Trash section (which would be the case if I use Zirda as a companion), but it isn't as clear cut what would still make sense flavour-wise. Jan-Jansen, Chaos Crafter might be an interesting angle, but it'll probably make it even more aristocraty, I like the less obvious path this deck has taken. We'll see. Don't like Osgir, the Reconstructor here though, his exile goes against what this deck wants to do.
- This deck avoids infinite combos. Odds are that there are still a couple in there (given the inclusion of things like Cathodion), but that's why I don't play stuff like Palladium Myr, the obvious Basalt Monolith, and sac outlets like Krark Clan Ironworks.
- I've got some of my other activated abilities-matter cards in a Mairsil, the Pretender deck, stuff like Thousand-Year Elixir and the better bracers. I'm not sure how long I will keep that deck intact, but I'll transfer those cards to this deck once I've dismantled it.

Help wanted:

- I very much welcome suggestions on how to get the themes more in line with eachother and perhaps have Zirda play a larger role herself too. For example, I haven't looked at the lines for Oswald Fiddlebender at all, so that's probably quite awkward at the moment too.
- Some fitting removal? Shrapnel Blast seems like a good fit, Dispatch.. Anything else?
Last edited by Gentle Giant 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.
Remember: not everyone is intent on 'growing as a player', analysing their meta and adapting to it, etc. For some people, Magic is just another board game.

Decklists:
A boy and his dog: an adventure (Rograkh & Yoshimaru) | Storytelling, Jank, Cute
Averna, Roulette Croupier: Cascade Chaos | Cascade, Chaos, Group Choices
The Ur-Dragon Tribal Tribal | Randomized Batches, Diverse, Quirky
Zirda, Patron Goddess of Trash Artisanry | Trash for Treasure, Artifact Aristocrats, low-powered

Tags:

BaronCappuccino
Answers: 1

Post by BaronCappuccino » 1 year ago

If I were given this companion and told to build a deck out of it, I would instinctively seek to build it as a companion to another Boros commander. Osgir, the Reconstructor deals with artifacts and meets the companion requirements. Then I'd gatherer for all cards that have non-mana activated abilities that cost generic 3 or more, because it would bug me not to eek every ounce of synergy out of my companion that I'm building the deck around. There are 235 artifacts that come up that have an activated ability that costs exactly 3. I'd do my best to do as much as I can with those alone, so that almost every nonland card is 100% synergy between Osgir and Zirda.

Gentle Giant

BaronCappuccino wrote:
1 year ago
If I were given this companion and told to build a deck out of it, I would instinctively seek to build it as a companion to another Boros commander. Osgir, the Reconstructor deals with artifacts and meets the companion requirements. Then I'd gatherer for all cards that have non-mana activated abilities that cost generic 3 or more, because it would bug me not to eek every ounce of synergy out of my companion that I'm building the deck around. There are 235 artifacts that come up that have an activated ability that costs exactly 3. I'd do my best to do as much as I can with those alone, so that almost every nonland card is 100% synergy between Osgir and Zirda.
I made a mistake in the thoughts-section: I meant to say that I don't want to play Osgir, the Reconstructor, as his ability is a nonbo with the entire premise of the deck (not hofri). The deck started out with the the new kamigawa set gracing us with another goblin welder alternative, giving us critical mass to have it be the center of the deck. Zirda came after that, seeing as activated abilities is a second commonality between the scrappers.

I actually went through most artifacts with cost 3 and up and.. it's not really that interesting or synergistic with what I'm trying to do? So I simply gave up and simply have less cost decrease benefits across the board. It was disappointing though, because it does sting that the scrappers hardly benefit from her ability.
Remember: not everyone is intent on 'growing as a player', analysing their meta and adapting to it, etc. For some people, Magic is just another board game.

Decklists:
A boy and his dog: an adventure (Rograkh & Yoshimaru) | Storytelling, Jank, Cute
Zirda, Patron Goddess of Trash Artisanry | Trash for Treasure, Artifact Aristocrats, low-powered

Crazy Monkey
Arcane Themes

Post by Crazy Monkey » 1 year ago

The first cards that come to mind for me are Bosh, Iron Golem and Spine of Ish Sah for removal, and Coveted Jewel for draw/mana fodder.

I think that Pyre-Sledge Arsonist might also work, but am less sure with the current number of sacrifice/recur options.
Commander Decks

Kemba | Kytheon | Talrand | Unesh | Teferi | Geth | primer Zada | Krenko | Torbran | Patron Orochi | Ghalta | Gargos | Medomai | The Count | Xenagos | Nikya | Jaheira, Artisan | Trostani | Athreos | Jarad | Ivy | Nin | Krark & Sakashima | Feather | Osgir | Gisela | Roon | Chulane | Sydri | Ertai | Mairsil | Vial & Malcolm | Prossh | Marath | Marisi | Syr Gwyn | Riku | Riku | Animar | Ghave | Tasigur | Muldrotha | Rayami | Zedruu | Yidris | Kynaios & Tiro | Saskia | Tymna & Kydele | Atraxa | Akiri & Silas | Sisay | Ur Dragon | Bridge | Horde | Najeela | Genju | Traxos

Gentle Giant

Crazy Monkey wrote:
1 year ago
The first cards that come to mind for me are Bosh, Iron Golem and Spine of Ish Sah for removal, and Coveted Jewel for draw/mana fodder.

I think that Pyre-Sledge Arsonist might also work, but am less sure with the current number of sacrifice/recur options.
Spine is a bit too strong/repetitive for the groups I play in, but definitely in theme. I pondered on bosh for quite a while: the artifacts I'm keen on saccing aren't that big so the damage output is pretty low. It does get a full discount from Zirda, which makes a lot more compelling. I guess I should just give it a try. Pyre-sledge arsonist is awesome, totally missed that as a potential include for this deck as I was sorting the Capenna uncommons: thanks! It's the kind of hoop I want this deck to try to jump through :)

Decklists:

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 1 year ago

I've got a slightly similar pile in Keskit + Toggo, which is a weird unfocused mess of aristocrats, artifact junk, and Rakdos land ramp. It's hella fun to play though, trying to figure out how the various pieces talk to each other on the fly and piece something neat together. You're right that it's not too far from this concept to aristocrats, I've found a bit more success with my pile by focusing on board gum and Zulaports as the most common win condition. That said, your idea of going for Jan Jansen as the commander sounds like a good one to me. You could maybe do a little Zulaport if you want to, but the fact the commander explicitly calls for artifacts in his wording means you'd still stay pretty close to your current premise. Another potential alternate commander would be Quintorius, Field Historian, as the various Welder shenanigans will translate to board presence.

Some thoughts:

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

Gentle Giant

Rumpy5897 wrote:
1 year ago
I've got a slightly similar pile in Keskit + Toggo, which is a weird unfocused mess of aristocrats, artifact junk, and Rakdos land ramp. It's hella fun to play though, trying to figure out how the various pieces talk to each other on the fly and piece something neat together. You're right that it's not too far from this concept to aristocrats, I've found a bit more success with my pile by focusing on board gum and Zulaports as the most common win condition. That said, your idea of going for Jan Jansen as the commander sounds like a good one to me. You could maybe do a little Zulaport if you want to, but the fact the commander explicitly calls for artifacts in his wording means you'd still stay pretty close to your current premise. Another potential alternate commander would be Quintorius, Field Historian, as the various Welder shenanigans will translate to board presence.

Some thoughts:
Thanks for the suggestions! Looked over your list too: definitely a more aristocraty deck than what I'm aiming for, but it seems sweet to play!

-Fathom Fleet Swordjack is sweet! Not as 'divine wrath from the heavens' as a dragon, but definitely one to consider here.
-I was considering these kinds of bombs, specifically the more recent 9 mana ones: Phyrexian Triniform and Triplicate Titan, but I'm afraid the gameplay would quickly revolve around just scrapping and recycling just those cards. Not really a gameplay loop that I'm looking for, but a very strong one though.
-Fun fact: Clock of Omens was in my earlier list, but I saw that I didn't have a whole lot to untap with it so I took it out. It's one of those cards that I almost autopilot put in decks like these, but I'm not sure it's worth it here unless I aim for more artifact untaps (had Unwinding Clock in there too, but cut it for similar reasons).
-How could I forget about Inspiring Statuary?! Definitely going in there! Loyal apprentice seems very fitting too, it seems I've got some cuts to make :P

I think I'm going to give it a couple of games in this form and then decide whether it pivots to a Jan Jansen* mad tinkerer deck.

* Such a funny name: Jan is a very common name in the Netherlands, (Jansen as surname less so, but also definitely a thing)

Decklists:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”