[mtgnexus] Random Card of the Day - North Star

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Lifeless » 6 months ago

As long as I'm complaining about cards like this I'll mention Scambleverse is the worst card ever printed and I want to fight whoever made it.

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 6 months ago

illakunsaa wrote:
6 months ago
I thought of a funny idea that you put armageddon in the storm and then don't cast the spell. You can now just threaten people with armageddon with a random instant if people attack you or harm your board position. Put in a planar cleansing variant too to really up the ante.
I'd rather threaten with Apocalypse but then i have no soul since i'm a ginger....
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

Igzex

Post by Igzex » 6 months ago

Watching a game just completely fall apart at the seams is a beautiful thing...Every once in a while.

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 6 months ago

I had an Eye of the Storm deck back in the day of Kamigawa/Ravnica standard. It was a fun FNM deck, but I am pretty sure I was the only one who thought that. :P
Lifeless wrote:
6 months ago
As long as I'm complaining about cards like this I'll mention Scrambleverse is the worst card ever printed and I want to fight whoever made it.
I am pretty sure I've told this before on here, but my friends all agree that if I ever play Scrambleverse that they get to punch for each nonland permanent on the battlefield.

materpillar
the caterpillar
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by materpillar » 6 months ago

Lifeless wrote:
6 months ago
As long as I'm complaining about cards like this I'll mention Scambleverse is the worst card ever printed and I want to fight whoever made it.
I have a personal stance that I auto-scoop to Scrambleverse.

I'd probably come close on this one too just because it makes games take so long.

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Funny enough I do the same and I have convinced my group to scoop to it on several occasions. If this were Alchemy on Arena and it could be resolved immediately I would have no qualms with it as I don't have any issues with the randomness. As is it's one of the most toxic cards you can cast in this format.

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 6 months ago

Dunadain wrote:
6 months ago
Big dumb spell that slows the game I will echo @Lifeless's sentiment: %$#% this card.

Haven't actually seen it in a long time tho, so that's nice
Consider adding Grip of Chaos if you want to actually slow down the game and make people lose their will to play.
Steel Sabotage'ng Orbs of Mellowness since 2011.

I collect Kaalia of the Vast normal-size cards. Do you have any extra taking up space in your binder? Help me grow my collection! :)

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

3drinks

Lifeless wrote:
6 months ago
Only ever acceptable on a digital surface like modo. No way am I randomly mixing my cards with lgs randoms.

I collect Kaalia of the Vast normal-size cards. Do you have any extra taking up space in your binder? Help me grow my collection! :)

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

yeti1069

Post by yeti1069 » 6 months ago

3drinks wrote:
6 months ago
Dunadain wrote:
6 months ago
Big dumb spell that slows the game I will echo @Lifeless's sentiment: %$#% this card.

Haven't actually seen it in a long time tho, so that's nice
Consider adding Grip of Chaos if you want to actually slow down the game and make people lose their will to play.
Grip of Chaos + Confusion in the Ranks + Mycosynth Lattice = every permanent that comes into play will exchange control with any random permanent another player controls. Did this in a game YEARS ago. 5 players. The game took hours and hours. We had little numbered scraps of paper on every card and in a hat. Then I played Form of the Dragon, thinking it would keep me safe from most creatures, and allow me to start blasting stuff. First trigger on my next turn had to select randomly from over 70 targets and got...
SPOILER
Show
Hide
MYSELF! Everyone else just shook hands, called it a draw, and said I was never allowed to play that deck again.

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 6 months ago

yeti1069 wrote:
6 months ago
Grip of Chaos + Confusion in the Ranks + Mycosynth Lattice = every permanent that comes into play will exchange control with any random permanent another player controls.
I'll call and raise - I was once in a game with Grip of Chaos + Confusion in the Ranks... and the chaos player also Hive Mind'ed an Eternal Dominion. Every turn, search a random opponent's deck for a thing, put it on the battlefield, and then trade it away for another random thing... which meant people were incentivized to get the least threatening thing possible so it couldn't be used against them. We called the game a draw after two turn cycles took half an hour to finish.

...anyway, Eye of the Storm (and other chaos cards) are something I'm fine with seeing once or twice a year. They're most fun in small doses.

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 6 months ago

Mookie wrote:
6 months ago
Hive Mind'ed an Eternal Dominion.
living my dreams
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

3drinks

Wednesday, December 13th, 2023; Godsire

I can't believe the token is worth more than the card. Such a cool card though I remember grabbing this with Tooth and Nail back in the day.

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 6 months ago

3drinks wrote:
6 months ago
Man, i love this bad boy so much, i've built my dumbest deck yet!
Rocco, Cabaretti Caterer just to fetch Behemoth's Herald, Domri's Nodorog, Ethereal Elk, Garruk's Warsteed, Goldmane Griffin and their planeswalkers is as stupid and fun as it gets for low powered pods.

As for the tokens, i hate it when people dump random stuff that gets unnecessarily pricey later on. Up until Caverns Sorin, Lord of Innistrad's emblem had been more expensive than himself, for the same reason.

Mookie

I've been wanting a Godsire reprint for ages, and I'm still annoyed it wasn't reprinted in the Ghired, Conclave Exile precon. I guess it got a List reprint, but....

Do I think Godsire is a good card? Not particularly - there are certainly better 8-drops out there. But I also have been meaning to pick up a copy for my Samut deck for ages - pumping out a couple of 8/8 tokens every turn sounds quite entertaining, and a very fast way to close out a game. Craterhoof Behemoth and Pathbreaker Ibex may win a game immediately, but Godsire wins with style.

materpillar
the caterpillar

3drinks wrote:
6 months ago

I can't believe the token is worth more than the card. Such a cool card though I remember grabbing this with Tooth and Nail back in the day.
Card is flippin cool. Gets my inner timmy real happy. It's pretty bad though. I don't think I've ever seen one played. 8 drops have skyrocketed in value since this bad boy was printed too.

I remember when this was released and my first thought was "how is this not a legendary creature?" Really though?

cheonice
Death to Chronos.

Post by cheonice » 6 months ago

materpillar wrote:
6 months ago
3drinks wrote:
6 months ago

Card is flippin cool. Gets my inner timmy real happy. It's pretty bad though. I don't think I've ever seen one played. 8 drops have skyrocketed in value since this bad boy was printed too.

I remember when this was released and my first thought was "how is this not a legendary creature?" Really though?
There was a whole cycle of 8-drops in Shards of Alara! I remeber some cool games with Empyrial Archangel and Prince of Thralls. Hellkite Overlord was a big beater at least, but Sphinx Sovereign has always been a bad card. These creatures have some if the most badass names in the game, though!
Alara will always have a special place in my heart, it's the set when I really got into Magic.

materpillar
the caterpillar

cheonice wrote:
6 months ago
There was a whole cycle of 8-drops in Shards of Alara! I remeber some cool games with Empyrial Archangel and Prince of Thralls. Hellkite Overlord was a big beater at least, but Sphinx Sovereign has always been a bad card. These creatures have some if the most badass names in the game, though!
Alara will always have a special place in my heart, it's the set when I really got into Magic.
Empyrial Archangel is still in my cube. The amount of times people try to Doom Blade it is hilarious.

Mookie

cheonice wrote:
6 months ago
Not only was there that cycle, but we also got a second cycle of Behemoth's Herald and friends to tutor them up. Because nothing says 'we care about Limited design' than a cycle of uncommon vanilla 1/1s that can tutor up some mythics.

cheonice
Death to Chronos.

Post by cheonice » 6 months ago

Mookie wrote:
6 months ago
cheonice wrote:
6 months ago
Not only was there that cycle, but we also got a second cycle of Behemoth's Herald and friends to tutor them up. Because nothing says 'we care about Limited design' than a cycle of uncommon vanilla 1/1s that can tutor up some mythics.
Oh right! The Heralds! This was the good stuff.

3drinks

Thursday, December 14th, 2023; Tamiyo's Journal

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 6 months ago

i like this for meta-game reasons. every upkeep putting another bit of note paper into play with a bit of info yr remembering about the game written on it
it makes thinking easier x3 i'd never use real Clue tokens

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 6 months ago

Still waiting for a big clue payoff. Might be that Senator Peacock, but I wish she had more colors.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Seems pretty solid when compared to similar stuff like Planar Portal or Ring of Three Wishes, although I've never tried to make a deck that cranks out Clues so that might be harder than I think. Just the fact that it does its thing for free after you cast it is pretty neat, even if it is the type of incremental advantage I don't generally approve of.

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2

Post by Dunadain » 6 months ago

A bit underwhelming as a draw engine or as tutor engine, but as both it's pretty sweet.
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Zask, Phelddagriff
Other: Karrthus, Eris, Emiel, The Blessed, Ruhan, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

yeti1069

Post by yeti1069 » 6 months ago

Looks like hot garbage to me. You spend 5 mana to get to spend 2 mana on the following turn to draw a card, wait 3 turns to tutor for something, or have enough clue support built into your deck to make this a 5 mana tutor with setup.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”