The Community Deck Build Project v4.0

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison
Pronoun: he / him

Post by 3drinks » 1 year ago

Jemolk wrote:
1 year ago
@3drinks It looks like you missed the yeas for Steel Hellkite from @kirkusjones and @Crazy Monkey. That should put it at +4, if my count is correct.
Thanks, I went back and audited that for confirmation.
RxPhantom wrote:
1 year ago
Yay to MyrSphyr. Heads up everyone, I'm gonna yay every good 6+MV artifact creature.
Oh, great, this is finally the time I make Scuttling Doom Engine shine then >_> it's such a fun name to say :P
Dunharrow wrote:
1 year ago
And if we are able to pull off some infinite loops with Perilous Myr turns it into a yes for me. But what's the combo? So far I haven't seen an infinite combo in the deck.
Off the top of my head, I'm thinking something involving Nim Deathmantle or Mimic Vat. There's probably something involving +1/+1 or -1/-1 counters too if I go and dig deep enough.

A lot of confirmations to make this evening, including the recount that gets our mechanical robot dragon into the mix. Not much left to vote on, but I'ma take that cue from Lish and offer a nay vote on Conjurer's Bauble. It's not really a regrowth, and if we're just playing this to draw a card, that's useless and incredibly inefficient in our limited deck slots. Instead, yeah, I'd imagine either one and/or both of Phyrexian Furnace/Scrabbling Claws|mrd would be the pick there.

Man I really want to throw Urza's Saga into this, but that price tag and I'm not entirely convinced that this is a "corre piece". Not to justify that insane tag. I'm hoping some other posters get those speed bump dudes like myr retriever and junk diver in here because they would shine so well. In fact that gives me a real good idea for tomorrow.....................

Perilous Myr yay - 3 nay - 2
Steel Hellkite yay - 4 nay - 2
Gerrard's Hourglass Pendant yay - 3 nay - 0
Noxious Gearhulk yay - 4 nay - 0
Myr Battlesphere yay - 3 nay - 0
Mishra's Bauble yay - 3 nay - 0
Krark-Clan Ironworks yay - 4 nay - 0
Golgari Charm yay - 3 nay - 0

Conjurer's Bauble yay - 1 nay - 1
Tortured Existence yay - 2 nay - 2
Steel Sabotage'ng Orbs of Mellowness since 2011.

I collect Kaalia of the Vast normal-size cards. Do you have any extra taking up space in your binder? Help me grow my collection! :)

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 1 year ago

I am surprised there is only one nay for Conjurer's Bauble at this point. Maybe I never said it? I am a definite nay.

My nomination for today is Syndicate Trafficker. The deck needs sac outlets, and this can very nicely sac spine of ish shah or any other artifacts we would like to sac.

I also took a look at the mana base - anyone think we should run Phyrexia's Core?
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

3drinks

Syndicate Trafficker is a good pick. I'm with it. Yay. For today I'm gonna take a trip in the wayback machine and run with Phylactery Lich. Three mv 5/5 is quite a bit under the curve and the fact it's hard{ish} to kill makes it even better. I think the mileage we get on this card is strong.

Conjurer's Bauble yay - 1 nay - 2
Syndicate Trafficker yay - 1 nay - 0
Phylactery Lich yay - 0 nay - 0
Dunharrow wrote:
1 year ago
I am surprised there is only one nay for Conjurer's Bauble at this point. Maybe I never said it? I am a definite nay.

I also took a look at the mana base - anyone think we should run Phyrexia's Core?
I think that's what happened. There's people that have reversed votes but remained on abstain which I couldn't count as a nay. Until now, when you officially gave me the nay.

I don't think Phyrexia's Core is where it's at, it's an effective two mv to use and a tap, which makes it quite a bit weaker from High Market, which is it's obvious inspiration.

I collect Kaalia of the Vast normal-size cards. Do you have any extra taking up space in your binder? Help me grow my collection! :)

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Dunadain » 1 year ago

I shall continue to nominate the boring picks and say Urza's Bauble, the other 0mv artifact cantrip
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Zask, Phelddagriff
Other: Karrthus, Eris, Emiel, The Blessed, Ruhan, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

Crazy Monkey
Arcane Themes

Post by Crazy Monkey » 1 year ago

Yea Urza's Bauble because draw is good.
Yea Syndicate Trafficker as a self protecting sacrifice outlet for the cards we want to reuse.
Nay Phylactery Lich. While this is a resilient body of reasonable size, it doesn't impress me. It competes with our commanders on curve and the phylactery counters don't protect the artifacts. The color costs aren't necessarily easy to swing either on a more budget mana base.

I nominate Soul-Guide Lantern as what I think everyone wanted conjurors bauble to be. It's card draw, as well as both ta targeted and global graveyard answer.
Commander Decks

Kemba | Kytheon | Talrand | Unesh | Teferi | Geth | primer Zada | Krenko | Torbran | Patron Orochi | Ghalta | Gargos | Medomai | The Count | Xenagos | Nikya | Jaheira, Artisan | Trostani | Athreos | Jarad | Ivy | Nin | Krark & Sakashima | Feather | Osgir | Gisela | Roon | Chulane | Sydri | Ertai | Mairsil | Vial & Malcolm | Prossh | Marath | Marisi | Syr Gwyn | Riku | Riku | Animar | Ghave | Tasigur | Muldrotha | Rayami | Zedruu | Yidris | Kynaios & Tiro | Saskia | Tymna & Kydele | Atraxa | Akiri & Silas | Sisay | Ur Dragon | Bridge | Horde | Najeela | Genju | Traxos

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 1 year ago

Yay to Urza's Bauble, Soul-Guide Lantern and Syndicate Trafficker. Nay to Phylactery Lich. It's strong in 1v1, but I don't see it being all that relevant in Commander. Not to mention three black pips is a tall order.

Today I nominate Meteor Golem. I'm sure we can get multiple uses out of it, and it works with both commanders. Also, it bears mentioning that I plan to nominate Mycosynth Golem. I think that's where the decks is going, and the card rips. If we plan on casting and recurring these artifact fatties, doing so for free or close to free seems good.

We should probably start working on more recursion too.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 5/26/24 (Modern Horizons III)

aliciaofthevast
Phyrexian Flesh Agent
Pronoun: she / her

Post by aliciaofthevast » 1 year ago

Oh man, I really like soul-guide lantern! Unlike the other two this isn't too little too late when it comes down into a stocked grace, super easy to keep up, doesn't self-exile, and it can still draw a card! Easy yay.

I kinda like the lich too, it's a cute mechanic but I'm not sure we care about a non evasive 5/5? I mean, even Tarmogoyf can eclipse that for an easier cost and doesn't lose to an aura shards. I think this is a nay.

Mechanically urza's bauble is sound though I don't like spending $5-$6 on this stuff. Cost doesn't really have a bearing though so I think it has to be a yay, right?

That trafficker is super sneaky good. I want all of them now. Yay.

For today's card I nominate Disciple of the Vault! At 1 mana it can punish treasure strats, act as a win con with our sac outlets, and that's a lot of value stuffed into a 1 mana package I think.

Jemolk
Compulsive Jank Builder

Post by Jemolk » 1 year ago

Urza's Bauble, Syndicate Trafficker, Soul-Guide Lantern and Meteor Golem all seem rather good in this deck. I'll happily yea all four.

Phylactery Lich is quite a bit more contentious, but the value of an indestructible 5/5 for 3 is quite high. I think it's already been nayed out of contention, unfortunately, but I'd still rather like to say yea to it. Even just as a really annoying blocker, a 5/5 that never dies easily can be very useful. Of course, the point of comparison for me is Kefnet the Mindful in draw-go, which is probably skewing my perceptions of things a bit. I'd still like to yea the lich, though, despite it being both too late to matter and probably also not nearly worth as much as the thing that's convinced me that indestructible 5/5s for 3 are good.

Phyrexia's Core has one obvious benefit over High Market in our deck -- it can sacrifice non-creature artifacts. If we've got room for another colorless land, we should definitely include... well, first we should include Inventors' Fair, but if we've got space for two more colorless lands, Phyrexia's Core seems like a good second choice.

On that note, I'm going to nominate Inventors' Fair. As simply a mana source, it's a bit over-budget, but it's not simply a mana source. It's also literally whatever artifact in our deck we need at any given time, plus a bit of incidental lifegain until that time as a small free bonus. I really do think this thing should be worked into the mana base of the deck; as lands go, it's crazy strong thanks to that tutor ability. Even better if you pair it with Crucible of Worlds, which it can even go and find if we include it, though it's also just very strong on its own.
39 Commander decks and counting. I'm sure this is fine, and not at all a problem.

Dunharrow

I will yay the following
Inventors' fair [EDIT] This is already in the deck. On that note, I think phyrexia's core is better than Field of Ruin in this deck.
urza's bauble
soul guid lantern
meteor golem

I don't see the advantage of phylactery lich and will nay. I almost feel like Darksteel Myr makes more sense. Lich is fun when you put the counter on Worldslayer. Never thought to do anything else with it though. I don't think it is big enough to be worth jumping though all those hoops.
Disciple of the Vault if am uncertain about. If it is a combo card we already have options like Perilous Myr and Marionette Master that I think are stronger. If it is for incidental life loss I think it is not worth it. The only way I can see wanting it is if we had a strong treasure theme, which we currently do not have.

Trafficker looks like it will be yayed in, so my next nomination is Hope of Ghirapur. Really good and stopping the blue person from interrupting your combo. Really easy to loop in our deck to try to hold off an opponent from winning for multiple turns.

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Post by kirkusjones » 1 year ago

I'm on board with Disciple of the Vault. Punishing treasure tokens (which seem to be everywhere) and acting as a deterrent to Bane of Progress seems like a pretty good deal for B. I get that we have Marionette Master, but redundancy is not bad. I still don't see the infinite combo/value loop with Perilous Myr, so Disciple definitely pulls its weight.

Hesitant yea to Hope of Ghirapur, but wouldn't Veil of Summer be better here if we're using it to protect ourselves from the blue player? I guess it depends on what we're trying to prevent/protect.

My nomination for today is Scrap Trawler. This guy does real work and is good friends with our stations. With the mix of baubles and high cmc that we have, there will most likely always be a good target for the Trawler in our yard. It also opens up potential P. Myr loops, maybe?

Jemolk
Compulsive Jank Builder

Dunharrow wrote:
1 year ago
Inventors' fair [EDIT] This is already in the deck.
Hadn't seen that unannounced change. Dang. Wasted that nomination.

Not so sure about Hope of Ghirapur. Only works on your turn, only protects from one player, and only protects from noncreature spells specifically. Creature spells, activated abilities, and triggered abilities can still be highly disruptive. And what do you do if there are two blue players? Or two R/B players, for that matter? (Rakdos Charm, bay-bee!) Or one of each? Now you have to guess who's holding interaction, and it could easily enough be both. If you've only got one person trying to police the board, it could easily force a combo through. But, if you've only got one person trying to police the board, I don't think that sounds like the kind of meta where playing combo in the first place would be reasonable. I'm going to nay Hope for that reason.

Scrap Trawler, meanwhile, is very strong in artifact decks just in general, rather than a niche meta call. I approve heartily. I'll yea it.

I'll also nominate Scrap Trawler's buddy, Myr Retriever. Myr Retriever loops are a good combo option, and it's also just a good card in general. Not a whole lot to say here, but somebody's got to nominate it. Still need someone to nominate Junk Diver, of course.
39 Commander decks and counting. I'm sure this is fine, and not at all a problem.

Dunharrow

Yay scrap trawler and myr retriever

Hope of Ghirapur is good because it's a 1 mana artifact. Unlike Veil of summer, we will get multiple uses from Hope.
It is not the strongest protection or anything, but I have used it many times to ensure a spell is not countered, or to stop someone from wiping the board when I am ahead.
Being able to sac it and replay it to do it again the next turn is pretty decent.

I know there are better ways to protect your stuff, but I don't know many that are artifacts. Welding Jar ?

Crazy Monkey
Arcane Themes

Yea Disciple of the Vault as a artifact loop outlet and punisher effect. I didn't remember that it triggered on opposing artifacts, so that's a good call.
Yea Meteor Golem as another big thing that provides extra value and overlap well with the board control.
Yea on @Jemolk getting another nomination. Edit: reading is good, missed that was the trawler.
Yea on Hope of Ghirapur as a strong way to keep our turn safe, as well as keeping the storn/turns/spellslinging player from running away with the game. Bonus points for lowering the curve, but keeping mind that Salvaging Station only gets noncreatures.
Yea on Scrap Trawler because artifact shenanigans abound.
Yea on Myr Retriever because see above card.
Is Welding Jar nominated?

I want to start by complaining that The Great Henge is too expensive and nowhere near centralizing enough for a budget waiver. I wish we could draw cards on our artifact creature loops.

I nominate Nettlecyst because Cranial Plating is good and we plan to be attacking.
Edit2: I keep forgetting to nominate deathmantle for perilous myr loops this is my self reminder to do that.
Commander Decks

Kemba | Kytheon | Talrand | Unesh | Teferi | Geth | primer Zada | Krenko | Torbran | Patron Orochi | Ghalta | Gargos | Medomai | The Count | Xenagos | Nikya | Jaheira, Artisan | Trostani | Athreos | Jarad | Ivy | Nin | Krark & Sakashima | Feather | Osgir | Gisela | Roon | Chulane | Sydri | Ertai | Mairsil | Vial & Malcolm | Prossh | Marath | Marisi | Syr Gwyn | Riku | Riku | Animar | Ghave | Tasigur | Muldrotha | Rayami | Zedruu | Yidris | Kynaios & Tiro | Saskia | Tymna & Kydele | Atraxa | Akiri & Silas | Sisay | Ur Dragon | Bridge | Horde | Najeela | Genju | Traxos

3drinks

Wow, I had everything nice and wrapped up, spent time away from the computer last night and whew was there a bunch to confirm. You love to see it. As a note we've still got cards that seem to get lost at times, that really don't have any reason to be getting lost (like disciple that should have been already got confirmed). I suspect what's happening is once one person comments only a selective card(s), then the next person only hits on those, so if we could, maybe go off the most recent standings post so we don't miss anything? It's not a race after all. That's the best I can think of, anyway. Anyway, lots of confirms to make.

I'll yay retriever to confirm it in. And I'll yay the Jar and Nettlecyst too. Jar is a great rattlesnake to make you point removal elsewhere from Armix. Nettlecyst is a pretty decent decent, multi-fauceted threat, I've used it enough in Iron Throne Gut to attest to that. Easy enough yays.

For today's card, I want to nominate Viridian Revel because y'all is outta control with these treasure strats!

Syndicate Trafficker yay - 5 nay - 0
Urza's Bauble yay - 5 nay - 0
Soul-Guide Lantern yay - 4 nay - 0
Meteor Golem yay - 3 nay - 0
Hope of Ghirapur yay - 3 nay - 1
Scrap Trawler yay - 3 nay - 0
Myr Retriever yay - 3 nay - 0

Phylactery Lich yay - 1 nay - 4

Disciple of the Vault yay - 2 nay - 0
Welding Jar yay - 1 nay - 0
Nettlecyst yay - 1 nay - 0
Viridian Revel yay - 0 nay - 0

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

3drinks

Just a note, we're on 88 cards with what's confirmed alone......

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

3drinks

3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
Disciple of the Vault yay - 2 nay - 0
Welding Jar yay - 1 nay - 0
Nettlecyst yay - 1 nay - 0
Viridian Revel yay - 0 nay - 0
Well I voted for these already, so I'll just bump the current list with a reminder that we're a 88 cards confirmed right now.

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

Crazy Monkey
Arcane Themes

Yea Welding Jar. Easy to recur, self sacrifices for triggers and protects from removal.
I'd like to be convinced on Viridian Revel, because it is entirely opponent dependent. It's extremely powerful if you know opponents are on treasure, but what are the actual odds that they are? If we expect this deck to be playing against the other community deckbuilds, I think that there were less than 6 treasure creating cards between them. In that meta/context it feels rather underwhelming. EDIT: I just checked, it was 5 sources of artifact tokens, including King Macar, the Gold-Cursed. I wouldn't include revel in that meta. However, in a blind game at 75% power level, I would expect Dockside Extortionist to start being in more than 1/3 of red decks.

I think that I had voted on everything else, so I nominate Nim Deathmantle, as I had planned. It's protection and evasion for attacking, while also representing serious value to combo depending on what other pieces we land.

On the current card count and proximity to completion, I think that we can start considering curve and effect density now. With a mana producer in the command zone, I think that we can support a higher curve in general, but have we reached that point?
Last edited by Crazy Monkey 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Commander Decks

Jemolk
Compulsive Jank Builder

Not much action over the past day, huh? Well, I'll go on then.

Still not completely sold on Disciple of the Vault, which is why I never yea'd it up to now. I suppose a more explicit abstention is in order. It's a good card, don't get me wrong; I'm just not convinced quite yet it's worth one of our precious card slots. If my nomination for today gets confirmed, I'm probably going to move to a yea, though, because it's a payoff for an infinite loop that said nomination enables.

I'd love to see TorEx confirmed, but I'm already one of the two yea votes on it, so not much I can do on that front. I will mention that our creature count is continuing to increase, so TorEx is getting better. It also goes quite well with several creatures we have already confirmed, like Shadowgrange Archfiend and Vengeful Pharaoh, for what it's worth.

Welding Jar is, for me, another case of "is this worth taking up one of our limited remaining card slots with?" Personally, I am more inclined to lean on recursion for this deck. I'll abstain for now, and we'll see how tight slots get as we go.

Nettlecyst is definitely worth a slot. A Cranial Plating that comes with a body and also pumps toughness? Yes please! It's not really as good as Plating, since it loses the instant-speed equip, but as Plating #2, it's still very good. Yea.

Viridian Revel is a card I'm both very interested in and quite wary of. It only triggers off opponents' artifacts dying, which isn't necessarily in our control. On the other hand, being a case of "whenever an opponent sacrifices a treasure, or a clue, draw a card" is pretty darn good. The only question is whether it's reliable enough to be worth the slot. With this few slots left, those are probably among our more precious commodities, but even so... Yea. The sheer power of it when it works is worth the risk, I think.

Nim Deathmantle is a yea. Crazy Monkey's rationale is something I fully agree with. Not much more to say.

I'll nominate Junk Diver. It's Myr Retriever #2. Somebody's gotta nominate it, as boring a nomination as it may be, because it's just so strong in artifact decks. Not to mention, it's potentially possible to loop Myr Retriever into Junk Diver into Myr Retriever infinitely if you have the means to make enough mana doing so, or reduce costs by enough, which makes for a potential infinite with Grinding Station or Salvaging Station plus enablers.

Crazy Monkey
Arcane Themes

I think that I am the other yea on Tortured Existence, so I can't vote there.
Yea Junk Diver. It's relatively low curve, simple recursion when we need it, and represents artifact loops when the other cards land.
I will continue abstaining on revel, but having just checked the other community decks and found only 5 total cards that make artifact tokens (Storm-Kiln Artist, Loyal Apprentice, King Macar, the Gold-Cursed, and I already forgot the other 2 but they weren't treasures), it would take some convincing for it to get my vote. Especially with the current open slot count.
Commander Decks

aliciaofthevast
Phyrexian Flesh Agent
Pronoun: she / her

Post by aliciaofthevast » 1 year ago

I'll jump on that grenade to confirm TorEx, I think we can support it.

Viridian Revel is so strong and passive that you don't realize just how often it works, and don't forget if this makes people not pop treasures then that's still a win too! Love, love, love that it's been submitted!

If Cranial Plating is in, then netlecyst is in. It's that easy. Like love and marriage, you can't have one without the other 😉

Welding jar feels "free" in many ways and it's probably fine except when it's not. Is it right? It's probably fine. How much do we really care though?

Deathmantle is the card I wanted to see all along so yay 💖. Myr Retriever is here, so junk diver has to also be here right? If one gets cut, then that means the other gets cut.

I'm not sure if I want to make a suggestion given how close we are, but I want to revisit my Infiltration Lens theory? If you block Armix, I draw 2. If you don't, he's safe. I like both these outcomes so I think it's playable.

3drinks

There's a few updates to make as this combination winds down. For starters, I'm making the executive decision to snipe out the ill-fated conjurer's bauble as it's been far longer than 48hrs of radio silence. I think that's where it was leaning anyway, so this just officializes it. I'm also going to yay deathmantle to give it it's confirmation vote. Shame we can't justify Su-Chi|atq's price tag for such an easy arbitrarily large sacrifice loop, although I suppose Cathodion can do it with a mana altar if we wanted to go there? I'll also yay Junk Diver for another of this effect, and I think I see what Alicia is up to with lens so I'll give it the nod.

Disciple of the Vault yay - 3 nay - 0
Tortured Existence yay - 3 nay - 2
Welding Jar yay - 3 nay - 0
Nettlecyst yay - 3 nay - 0
Nim Deathmantle yay - 3 nay - 0

Viridian Revel yay - 2 nay - 0
Junk Diver yay - 2 nay - 0
Infiltration Lens yay - 1 nay - 0

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

3drinks

Current list as we wind down to be mindful of suggestions and current outlying nominations.
Community Build-A-Deck v4.0

Enchantment

Sorcery

Planeswalker

Approximate Total Cost:

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2

Post by Dunadain » 1 year ago

Yay Viridian Revel
Yay Junk Diver

Nay Infiltration Lens I get we don't want people blocking our commander, and drawing cards is nice, but it falls in the same rut as all the other choice options (Browbeat and co.) In that our opponent gets to choose whether to let our commander through or give us two cards. it's pretty strong on a creature that forces your opponent to block it (which is an increasingly common effect) but on a regular creature I can't see this being good.

I'll nominate Whispersilk Cloak as a much better alternative imo.
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Zask, Phelddagriff
Other: Karrthus, Eris, Emiel, The Blessed, Ruhan, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Post by kirkusjones » 1 year ago

The cloak seems good here. I'm torn between nominating boots/greaves and Abrupt Decay, because I think we need at least one of the hasty protec pieces of gear and Decay hits a lot of stuff (I'm looking at youse Null Rod/Collector Ouphe). I think I'm going to go with decay, as we seem to be a little light on flexible removal.

Dunharrow

I only like infiltration lens with Lure effects (which are great with Glissa the traitor but I digres)
So nay lens
Yay decay
I am going to nominate God-Eternal Bontu. I was going to say Reprocess but Bontu seems better with the reanimate. We need the card draw. this also works as a catch-all sac outlet for creatures and artifacts (though it is an ETB sac and not a repeatable sac).

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”