The Community Deck Build Project v4.0

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Dunadain » 1 year ago

kirkusjones wrote:
1 year ago
So…a question as I start to brainstorm a list of picks…how spiky do we want to be? Is this a deck for Karn/Lattice or no?
Karen lattice isn't very good in commander cause of rule 10, right?

Edit: I see I mistyped Karn lattice as Karen lattice, but that's actually a good name for it so I'm leaving it.
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Zask, Phelddagriff
Other: Karrthus, Eris, Emiel, The Blessed, Ruhan, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Post by kirkusjones » 1 year ago

You can't wish for it, but both halves of the lock can be tutored for, since we're in black.

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison
Pronoun: he / him

Post by 3drinks » 1 year ago

kirkusjones wrote:
1 year ago
So…a question as I start to brainstorm a list of picks…how spiky do we want to be? Is this a deck for Karn/Lattice or no?
I think this is a bad look unless you regularly (and only) play in such a degenerate environment to where hard locks are the only recourse. I don't think this is indicative of the format as a whole, certainly not my own LGS, which leads me to believe this is just a major bummer moment. These group building exercises are better than lock outs, no? Because by now we all know the locks, once we start doing this, then all decks suddenly become about assembling the most efficient. This is a lot of text to say "No."
Steel Sabotage'ng Orbs of Mellowness since 2011.

I collect Kaalia of the Vast normal-size cards. Do you have any extra taking up space in your binder? Help me grow my collection! :)

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 1 year ago

I don't know if we need Karen Lattice, but I don't mind being a little more control-y. I'm thinking big fat, mostly artifact creature reanimator with whatever cool trinkets we can throw in.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 5/26/24 (Modern Horizons III)

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
kirkusjones wrote:
1 year ago
I think this is a bad look unless you regularly (and only) play in such a degenerate environment to where hard locks are the only recourse. I don't think this is indicative of the format as a whole, certainly not my own LGS, which leads me to believe this is just a major bummer moment. These group building exercises are better than lock outs, no? Because by now we all know the locks, once we start doing this, then all decks suddenly become about assembling the most efficient. This is a lot of text to say "No."
This is what I figured, just wanted to float the idea to see if the Hive Mind was feeling particularly mean. Consider Karen Lattice stricken from the record.

Crazy Monkey
Arcane Themes

Post by Crazy Monkey » 1 year ago

I am fine including Karen's Lettuce in decks, but agree with the sentiment that it's not a route that makes sense to me for these group builds. This post mostly brought to you because I wanted to call it Karen's Lettuce.

I like the trinkets+artifact bombs plan as our focus.
Commander Decks

Kemba | Kytheon | Talrand | Unesh | Teferi | Geth | primer Zada | Krenko | Torbran | Patron Orochi | Ghalta | Gargos | Medomai | The Count | Xenagos | Nikya | Jaheira, Artisan | Trostani | Athreos | Jarad | Ivy | Nin | Krark & Sakashima | Feather | Osgir | Gisela | Roon | Chulane | Sydri | Ertai | Mairsil | Vial & Malcolm | Prossh | Marath | Marisi | Syr Gwyn | Riku | Riku | Animar | Ghave | Tasigur | Muldrotha | Rayami | Zedruu | Yidris | Kynaios & Tiro | Saskia | Tymna & Kydele | Atraxa | Akiri & Silas | Sisay | Ur Dragon | Bridge | Horde | Najeela | Genju | Traxos

3drinks

I love that Karen's lattice just casually becomes a thing here...😂

I collect Kaalia of the Vast normal-size cards. Do you have any extra taking up space in your binder? Help me grow my collection! :)

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
I love that Karen's lattice just casually becomes a thing here...😂
*Lettuce

I love it too :rofl:

So, artifact creature-focused reanimator with a wide array of cool trinkets and toys? I think this gives us a good focus with room for cool ideas. I'm ready if you all are.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 5/26/24 (Modern Horizons III)

3drinks

Okay. I'm opening up the submission phase. 1 card/person/day, and as a reminder participate in the discussions or else I can't count your vote, because shouting a card name into the void with no discussion helps no one.

For today, my inaugural pick will be ...Reanimate|BRB. We have a discard outlet in the 'Zone, the odds of this ever not doing exactly what we need from it is slim to none. Can't imagine it's never not good. Probably the best value for your $10 in a one mv card you'll ever find.

Reanimate yay - 0 nay - 0

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Reanimate's got my vote.

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 1 year ago

Yay to reanimate, we are.very likely to need some amount of effects like this.

Shadowgrange Archfiend looks nice buddy for Armix. Can be cast through madness and let us focus the -X/-X better and allow more options for attacks. It is also a pretty good reanimation target and can even draws us the card and net us some life sometimes.

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 1 year ago

Reanimate Yay. I mean of course. It's a no-brainer. So efficient and versatile (remember it can target creatures in opponents' yards, too), it's practically an auto-include in any Bx deck, but beyond that, it just makes sense in this deck where discarding is inevitable. Probably the herald of a small package of such effects.
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

Crazy Monkey
Arcane Themes

Reanimate is a card to get back our discards, as well as recover from removal. Yea Reanimate, it's often best in class for one-shot reanimator.

Shadowgrange Archfiend is a card that I don't recall ever seeing before, and it looks like a powerhouse with Armix to start with. Add in that the high MV offers a draw off Gilanra, and I think that is great. Yea Shadowgrange Archfiend.

I think those were the only nominations so far, so I will move to mine. I nominate Salvaging Station. I think that being able to discard any trinket artifact (0-1 MV) and recur it when the target dies is a nice baseline when we don't have anything to reanimate or madness. It is also 6MV for card draw. It's a card that needs supporting cards, so I wanted to nominate it first as it is a strong signpost inclusion.
Commander Decks

Kemba | Kytheon | Talrand | Unesh | Teferi | Geth | primer Zada | Krenko | Torbran | Patron Orochi | Ghalta | Gargos | Medomai | The Count | Xenagos | Nikya | Jaheira, Artisan | Trostani | Athreos | Jarad | Ivy | Nin | Krark & Sakashima | Feather | Osgir | Gisela | Roon | Chulane | Sydri | Ertai | Mairsil | Vial & Malcolm | Prossh | Marath | Marisi | Syr Gwyn | Riku | Riku | Animar | Ghave | Tasigur | Muldrotha | Rayami | Zedruu | Yidris | Kynaios & Tiro | Saskia | Tymna & Kydele | Atraxa | Akiri & Silas | Sisay | Ur Dragon | Bridge | Horde | Najeela | Genju | Traxos

3drinks

Oh, shoot, it does work on any spell, not just creatures. Okay, okay, I'm actually coming around on Gilanra now.

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Big obvious yay to Reanimate. Barely needs discussing.

Just one nomination a day? Come ooooooooooon! The pace...it is glacial!

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 1 year ago

RxPhantom wrote:
1 year ago

For some reason I thought there was going to be three noms a day for this one. 🤷‍♂️
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

Crazy Monkey
Arcane Themes

RxPhantom wrote:
1 year ago

Legend wrote:
1 year ago
RxPhantom wrote:
1 year ago

For some reason I thought there was going to be three noms a day for this one. 🤷‍♂️
uh, I think it's 1 nomination per person per day as long as you comment on other people's nominations. You can nominate today, and again tomorrow. Am I correct @3drinks?
Commander Decks

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
- I didn't like the slowed nature so much of the last iteration, but I enjoyed the greater discussion generated. So what I'm going to do is reinstate the 1 card/person/day from before, but in an effort to curb low effort contributions of people shouting cards into the void, each submission must come with feedback and votes for each prior card that's currently up for voting. No more cards getting lost or hanging around the docket for 2-3 days at a time. If you don't participate in the individual card discussions, I won't recognize your card submissions.
Yo @Legend and @Crazy Monkey, I answered my own question.

Yay to Shadowgrange Archfiend. It pairs well with both commanders, kills everyone's best creature, and has 8 power to boot!

I nominate Soul of New Phyrexia. Big fat artifact creature that can protect all of our other permanents on the field or from the grave. Plays well with both commanders.

Also @Crazy Monkey, tell me more about the kinds of 0-1 MV artifacts you have in mind with Salvaging Station.

aliciaofthevast
Phyrexian Flesh Agent
Pronoun: she / her

Post by aliciaofthevast » 1 year ago

3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
Yeah, I'm waiting to put us into submission phase given there hasn't been a lot of discussion on what we're doing. Though maybe I should because Alicia is bugging me so she can make her first big brain pick 😂

I'll give no spoilers for it. But it's fire and y'all will love it.
LMBO ohmygosh 3drinks 😂. Well since you already blown them away with that, my pick for today is a trip in the way back machine. I nominate Vengeful Pharaoh! We've got the discard outlet right there, it regrows itself, and we never really care about casting it although it's not a bad threat I think. You're welcome, everyone. 😎

aliciaofthevast
Phyrexian Flesh Agent
Pronoun: she / her

Post by aliciaofthevast » 1 year ago

I'm gonna come back and make my feedback later, I just wanted to unveil the pick because I've been waiting soooooo loooonnnnnngggggg!

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 1 year ago

I'll yea hesitantly for Soul. My experience has been that it doesn't get activated a ton but its nice to have and not need rather than vice versa.

Pharaoh seems decent, thats nice tech. Its an easy pick that does everything we want.

I think its on the edge of our budget maybe, but Ohran Frostfang is my pick. In order to use Armix, and we do want to, we need to swing. This makes our swing even more optimal, and gives us a stacked hand if we have any sort of board state at all.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2

Post by Dunadain » 1 year ago

I love Vengeful Pharaoh and put it everywhere where it even sorta makes sense, yay.

yay to shadow and station as well.
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Zask, Phelddagriff
Other: Karrthus, Eris, Emiel, The Blessed, Ruhan, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Vengeful Pharaoh was super secret tech in mana-less dredge back in the day. Love it. Yea.

I'm on board with the demon, too.

Soul of New Phyrexia is…interesting. I've only ever seen it in the wild once. It was on my list of things to try in Meria, Scholar of Antiquity, but got cut. Going to hold off for now.

Curious what our 0-1 mana artifact package looks like for Salvaging Station, so I'm going to abstain on that one.

I nominate Grinding Station. Sac outlet, helps fill our graveyard and can disrupt topdeck tutors in a pinch.

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 1 year ago

woah a lot to go through

Ya to everything I saw
Reanimate
Archfiend
Sould of NP
Salvaging and Grinding Station.
Vengeful Pharaoh

I will nominate Nihil Spellbomb. It is a 1 mv artifact for salvaging station. If we don't need to nuke a yard we can sac it to something else and still get the draw trigger. GY hate is great in every deck.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

I'll yay Vengeful Pharaoh and Grinding Station if only because they work so well together. Yay on Nihil Spellbomb because nuking a graveyard and drawing a card is two mana well spent, especially if we can keep doing it. I'd like to hear more about a prospective Salvaging Station package before I vote on it.

For any who are on the fence about Soul of New Phyrexia, I'm going to stick up for it a bit. This is exactly what this deck wants: a useful, 6+MV artifact creature that's relevant on the field and in the graveyard. Though will likely be saccing lots of stuff in this deck, a well timed board wipe can really hurt us. It's been a mainstay of my Goreclaw, Terror of Qal Sisma deck since the beginning. It's been terrific. Having a repeatable answer to non-exiling board wipes is cool.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”