[mtgnexus] Random Card of the Day - North Star

PrimevalCommander
Pronoun: he / him

Post by PrimevalCommander » 1 year ago

3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
Tapping enchantments is weird.....
No more weird than having a Mutated token creature that is a Non-Legendary 12/12 with flying, reach, trample, doublestrike and a slew of other abilities including your commander's abilities because you Twinflamed a big Mutate stack and then go Populating it to make a slew of permanent token creatures with a giant stack of random keywords and abilities.
Last edited by PrimevalCommander 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.

Ink-Treader
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Ink-Treader » 1 year ago

tstorm823 wrote:
1 year ago
3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
You can draw the game with this and Repercussion. 👀 #BadAdviceFrom3drinks
Imagine the fallout if Unfinity had a card that said "If the game would end in a draw, you win instead."
Honestly I'm surprised that's not a card yet. Wouldn't even need the acorn

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 1 year ago

tstorm823 wrote:
1 year ago
3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
Imagine the fallout if Unfinity had a card that said "If the game would end in a draw, you win instead."
*snap* Done.

Doomsday Cultist 1wb

Creature—Human Cleric

Defender

If the game would end in a draw, you win the game instead. 1/3

"We'll meet again, don't know where, don't know when
But I know we'll meet again some sunny day"

Now I just need art.

Anyway, I like this tapping enchantment, as strange and "from the future" it seems.

(And now I'm thinking about the Team Titans, who thought they were from the future but were really from an artificial reality. There's just more ontological horror after that.)

It has a lot of potential with Tims or with Pestilence.
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Post by kirkusjones » 1 year ago

Would this mean the return of 4 Horsemen as a deck? Never mind, no it won't. 4 Horsemen is a non-deterministic loop that takes forever, but doesn't draw the game.

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 1 year ago

3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
Mookie wrote:
1 year ago
I like the design of Empyrial Archangel, but it's not a card I really see myself playing. It's certainly a reasonable speedbump against dying to combat damage, but it's not something I expect to actually lock any opponents out of the game. As a result, I'd usually go with a different topend fatty.
Not quite - Empyrial Archangel is still taking damage, and will eventually die once it takes cumulative damage exceeding its toughness. You need some way to also make it indestructible.

Anyway, Witch's Mist is... fine? Three mana to repeatedly kill stuff is a bit steep, particularly if you also need to jump through the hoop of dealing damage. Maybe if you have Kelsien, the Plague or another pinger in the command zone... but I'd prefer to just run Basilisk Collar or another source of deathtouch.

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 1 year ago

tstorm823 wrote:
1 year ago
3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
🤔
Mookie wrote:
1 year ago
Not quite - Empyrial Archangel is still taking damage, and will eventually die once it takes cumulative damage exceeding its toughness. You need some way to also make it indestructible.
I was moving too fast as I quickly got ready for work. Yes, including vigor would seal the deal. Or some other corner case replacement effect card like, say, mark of asylum if you didn't want your wombo combo to die to doom blade.
Steel Sabotage'ng Orbs of Mellowness since 2011.

I collect Kaalia of the Vast normal-size cards. Do you have any extra taking up space in your binder? Help me grow my collection! :)

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

Mookie

3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
tstorm823 wrote:
1 year ago
3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
🤔
Mookie wrote:
1 year ago
I was moving too fast as I quickly got ready for work. Yes, including vigor would seal the deal. Or some other corner case replacement effect card like, say, mark of asylum if you didn't want your wombo combo to die to doom blade.
Swing and a miss. :P If you prevent the damage, then Repercussion won't do anything.

3drinks

Mookie wrote:
1 year ago
Swing and a miss. :P If you prevent the damage, then Repercussion won't do anything.
Fine, Avacyn, Angel of Hope. Yeah, that's what I meant to say all along, yep. 🙄🤔

I collect Kaalia of the Vast normal-size cards. Do you have any extra taking up space in your binder? Help me grow my collection! :)

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

3drinks

Thursday, August 25th, 2022; Jacob Hauken, Inspector // Hauken's Insight

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

illakunsaa

Post by illakunsaa » 1 year ago

Extra turns.deck?

hyalopterouslemur

Not that good. 6 mana to flip is just too much, and you don't get to cast these spells for free.

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 1 year ago

hyalopterouslemur wrote:
1 year ago
Not that good. 6 mana to flip is just too much, and you don't get to cast these spells for free.
I'm not sure what you mean. Its says "Once during each of your turns, you may play a land or cast a spell from among the cards exiled with this permanent without paying its mana cost."

That sounds free to me. 6 is a lot, but if you exile any time warp, you're golden.

3drinks

I like the part where you can flip this thing on EOT, and can even ramp into it with, say, the humble and fairly innocuous Apprentice Wizard|4ed.

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

Mookie

Jacob Hauken, Inspector // Hauken's Insight looks sweet, and I've been meaning to test him out. A looter that exiles obviously isn't that impressive (since you don't get any graveyard synergies), but six mana for a draw engine that also gives free spells every turn seems nice. I'll note that you can also cast whatever you looted away immediately, which gives some nice bonus value. Overall, I don't think Jacob is a particularly powerful card in the 99 - blue has plenty of cheaper draw engines - but I could see it in a deck like Braids, Conjurer Adept or Thada Adel, Acquisitor that has a lot of expensive spells to cast.

As a commander, Jacob excites me less - again, you're probably just using him to cheat out big stuff (or extra turns). Not a bad plan, but a bit too linear / telegraphed for my tastes - definitely seems like a commander your opponents will try to stop you from flipping. I guess it's fine if your opponents are throwing removal at a 2-drop, but...

3drinks

Friday, August 28th, 2022; Volition Reins

Probably my fave theft spell. I can take anything, and if a creature unlike a standard Mind Control I can at least take your best guy and then block your next attack, as opposed to having that one more turn I'm vulnerable because I took your tapped guy that hasn't untapped yet.

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 1 year ago

I like that it untaps it. Often if it's a busted mana source or something, they tap it first, but if you're stealing a Gaea's Cradle or something, you can get paid immediately.

hyalopterouslemur

Definitely the best targeted theft spell. (The best theft spell is Insurrection just because if it doesn't end the game, what are you doing with your life?.)

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 year ago

I love this card and Confiscate. 6 ain't so bad for removal and a wincon in one tidy package.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 1 year ago

This doesn't seem that great to me? 6cmc is a lot. Is untapping that much better than a 2 mana discount with Control Magic? There's definitely tons of better ways to take creatures. Take Possession is 1-mana more and has split second. Blatant Thievery is 1-mana more for 2 more permanents. Agent of Treachery is a creature and blinkable.

This seems like way down below rate for what I want to be playing for theft effects.

aliciaofthevast
Phyrexian Flesh Agent
Pronoun: she / her

Post by aliciaofthevast » 1 year ago

Hmm. I don't think putting this alongside control magic|4ed is a fair comparison since there's lots more to be said for stealing anything versus just a creature. Six would be the going rate for this effect no? I do think you generally want to make use of the untap clause though, but sometimes you just steal someone's Ugin, the Spirit Dragon that's ready to blow and that's totally worth the stiff 3uuu I'd imagine.

I wouldn't scoff at anyone using this card.

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 1 year ago

I'm probably only playing this effect (stealing a permanent) in enchantress.aura decks where I hopefully have a cost reducer (and I currently do not use it in any of mine). I do use Treachery in many more generic U/x decks, though.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

3drinks

Saturday, August 27th, 2022; Brokers Ascendancy

*rolls eyes in Bant*

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

hyalopterouslemur

I mean, it has value in some decks. Atraxa, Praetors' Voice, Rafiq of the Many, that sort of thing. At the same time, Derevi, Empyrial Tactician and Arcades, the Strategist would frown on having too high power. At least my version, which tends to do everything to freeze out anyone with too high power.

Why does the art remind me of Guernica? Okay, probably what they were going for, remembering what those premium arts were designed to mimic the 1920s and 30s, the golden age of men like Al Capone and Meyer Lansky.

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 1 year ago

this card is very strong 1 v 1, but I haven't seen it in multiplayer. Seems a bit slow, I reckon.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

3drinks

Sunday, August 28th, 2022; Ashes of the Abhorrent

A reasonable hate piece to stave off the bleeding from Blood Artist effects but also shut off grave casting. Hmm why do more people not play this?

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”