Prismatic Piper

materpillar
the caterpillar
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by materpillar » 2 years ago

I have an altered The Prismatic Piper that I really want to build a deck around. I'm not really sure what I should do with it. I'm struggling to find a reason to play it where it isn't just strictly worse than other cards. Glancing around on the internet seems to result in decks that are "make it cost 0 and go infinite" which doesn't appeal to me.

The main thing I can think of is that it is a 5cmc creature that effectively has hexproof (because who's going to waste removal on it?!). As such I was thinking of doing either a Sacrifice/Burnt Offering or Birthing Pod/Neoform build since it'll almost certainly survive until my upkeep to get sacrificed. Or maybe both?

I'm not sure what the most interesting ~>9 drops to cast early or 6 drops to pod into would be. I was pondering Eternal Dominion or Lord of the Forsaken. Curious to know if anyone had any interesting ideas about either of those lines of play or other uses for the piper.

onering
Answers: 1

Post by onering » 2 years ago

Can you choose colorless for it's color and make a 2 color colorless matters deck using one of the OG partners and stuff from Rise, BFZ, and Oath?

Treamayne

Post by Treamayne » 2 years ago

Have you considered using TPP to enable a deck that doesn't have a General of the correct CI?
- Example: RG Oozes. There are G, BG, GU, and GUB - but Oozes started in Red (then RG) so this could partner with Slurrk, All-Ingesting to fill that niche. R also lets you build toward Hanweir, the Writhing Township.

Alternately, You could do a shapeshifter thing (not sure what the partner would be). Right now, U, B, UB, GU and GUB are available (WUB technically, if you can find a Halfdane outside of MODO). So, if you want a shapeshifter deck that uses some of the best changelings (Mirror Entity, Unsettled Mariner) you need W - but can only get it with an off-color General or the Piper.

If you pursue the Sac for effect, you may consider Mirror March/Reflections of Littjara and similar token copy makers that can let you get double duty out of the sac fodder and/or make some opportunistic attacks. Also consider Heirloom Blade, Evolutionary Leap, Impromptu Raid/Cream of the Crop as other avenues for sac value (depending on final CI for the deck) - or - go with something like Hecatomb/Death Pits of Rath/Furnace of Rath control burn type. Maybe some Fling effects if you have enough creatures to fuel it.
onering wrote:
2 years ago
Can you choose colorless for it's color and make a 2 color colorless matters deck using one of the OG partners and stuff from Rise, BFZ, and Oath?
Doesn't seem like that is possible. . .
CR PDF pg 11 wrote:105.4. If a player is asked to choose a color, they must choose one of the five colors. "Multicolored" is not a color. Neither is "colorless."
V/R

Treamayne

hyalopterouslemur
Pronoun: he / him

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 2 years ago

You can have colorless matters cards in any deck where its color identity is a subset of your commander's color identity/the union of your partners' color identities. Even c. I don't see what PP adds to it.
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 2 years ago

I would partner it with Will Kenrith and make PP your only win condition.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

Ruiner

Post by Ruiner » 2 years ago

Partner with Sakashima of a Thousand Faces, and just try to make as many possible copies of Prismatic Piper as you can to win with a swarm of them.

For Piper's maybe choose green for additional cloning options and token copy multipliers. Or red for ETB damage effects.

Outcryqq

Post by Outcryqq » 2 years ago

Do you want a good deck, or a fun one?

I'm struggling to figure out a way to make it good. If you want fun, though, The Prismatic Piper's art is gorgeous, you might be able to do a Seb McKinnon tribal?

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 2 years ago

Ruiner wrote:
2 years ago
Partner with Sakashima of a Thousand Faces, and just try to make as many possible copies of Prismatic Piper as you can to win with a swarm of them.

For Piper's maybe choose green for additional cloning options and token copy multipliers. Or red for ETB damage effects.
I do have a Sakashima sitting around and I've been interested in make a Mirror Gallery deck.
Outcryqq wrote:
2 years ago
Do you want a good deck, or a fun one?

I'm struggling to figure out a way to make it good. If you want fun, though, The Prismatic Piper's art is gorgeous, you might be able to do a Seb McKinnon tribal?
I'm always in favor of meme decks. I'm ok with painful deckbuilding restrictions but I want the deck to be functional.

Ironically, the piper I got has had the art butchered so it wouldn't work for seb McKinnon tribal.

Piper-Voltron or using it with Sacrifice are the ways that I'm leaning at the moment. I have a bunch of wiped off foils that I like using as basics. I'd kind of like it to be mono-colored.

Outcryqq

Post by Outcryqq » 2 years ago

You could probably do Sengir, the Dark Baron and The Prismatic Piper black/blue sacrifice/exploit? Then you'll get beneficial triggers for the Sacrificeing that you're going to do, and you can add in plenty of black/blue sacrifice/exploit fodder. I guess an undercover Toxrill, the Corrosive deck!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”