Choosing a Commander(s) for an Artifact Creature Deck

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Venedrex » 3 years ago

Lately I've been looking into making a artifact creature deck, but I'm finding it difficult to decide on who should lead it, and by extension what the colors should be for it. Right now I'm considering either Silas Renn, Seeker Adept and Rebbec, Architect of Ascension or Alibou, Ancient Witness OR Akiri, Line-Slinger and some partner. Of course, the obvious thing to do is just run Silas AND Akiri, but I'm leery of doing a 4 color deck. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I like a lot of red or boros artifact creatures, but I'm afraid a strictly boros deck might end up being a little weak for my playgroup, especially if the commander is 5 cmc. On the other hand, Silas and Rebecc seems super cool, but then I miss out on the fun red cards.
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

cheonice
Death to Chronos.
Pronoun: he / him

Post by cheonice » 3 years ago

If you want to go artifact creatures, Silas and Rebbec are a great choice! Yes, you are missing red cards, but you would miss equally great cards, if you cut on black, blue or white. Too many options! Black offers Disciple of the Vault and others, blue gives you really strong support for artifacts (and stuff like Sharding Sphinx), while white offers control options and more support.
I built Akiri, Line-Slinger/Sakashima of a Thousand Faces Voltron, which is a blast, but not a real artifact deck.
My decklist: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=31626

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 3 years ago

Sharuum the Hegemon is also a fantastic option.

MeowZeDung

Post by MeowZeDung » 3 years ago

Kykar primer and other active decks (click!)

FenrirRex
Answers: 1

Post by FenrirRex » 3 years ago

If you're set on including white in your list I like Alibou the most, however my go-to artifact commander recommendation remains Silas Renn, Seeker Adept x Vial Smasher the Fierce junkyard reanimator. Something very satisfying about playing artifacts of all shapes and sizes from the yard while doming your opponents with whatever the biggest thing you play is.

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 3 years ago

I think your instinct for Silas/Rebbec is a good one. I can personally vouch for Sharuum and Emry.

JWK
Elder Thing

Post by JWK » 3 years ago

I have a Rebbec/Silas deck and it's been doing very well. https://www.moxfield.com/decks/T0EGiTkxsUKD4GEewJozBg
I have 68 active EDH decks, with more in progress. I don't consider this a problem. Do you?
I am also one of those barbarians who enjoys winning by turning creatures sideways.

EonAon

Post by EonAon » 3 years ago

Akiri, Line-Slinger // Ich-Tekik, Salvage Splicer is something I've been eyeing to try.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 3 years ago

Armix, Filigree Thrasher / Silas Renn, Seeker Adept could be kind of fun. They are both artifacts themselves and you can do this like.... discard and then reenable casting it thing. It keeps it from creeping into too many colors too.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?

Post by Venedrex » 3 years ago

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, I really appreciate the feedback. I think based on what I've learned from this thread and my own preferences, I'm gonna take the plunge and build Silas Renn, Seeker Adept and Rebbec, Architect of Ascension. I'll miss the red cards a little bit, but I agree with everyone that this pair looks like a lot of fun and should be more consistent than some other options. Having blue to draw cards should prevent the deck from sputtering after a board wipe.
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

Outcryqq

Post by Outcryqq » 3 years ago

Is Breya, Etherium Shaper not your toast and jam? She's really strong, and if you're leery of the 4 colors, you can just ignore one of them and get your 4th color from rocks.

pokken

Post by pokken » 3 years ago

I had a lot of fun with tymna ludevic affinity. Tymna is an epic robots leader.

capitacommunist

Post by capitacommunist » 3 years ago

pokken wrote:
3 years ago
I had a lot of fun with tymna ludevic affinity. Tymna is an epic robots leader.
Fully agree, Tymna in many combinations is great for artifact aggro. Mardu with Tymna and Akiri works very well as well, with Akiri also functioning as a good two drop to curve into Tymna.

onering
Answers: 1

Post by onering » 3 years ago

I like Tymna, but Armix is really fun. I'd say Tymna, Silas, and Armix in some combination is a good bet for artifact aggro, though I'd wager that Esper opens up the most possibilities, as blue has the most artifact matter spells while black and white seem to have some of the most aggressive artifact matters spells. If you leave out blue, Mardu is probably second, and I'd say Armix and Akiri curve into each other well and create a threatening presence in combat. Going down to 2 color, I'd say Dimir is the best bet, and Armix partnering with Silas, while competing on curve, do synergize well. Armix with Malcom can be another great option, Malcolm poops out treasures which support Armix and any other scaling artifact matters effects, and you can get some splash benefit from including some of the other generically good pirates in Dimir, some of which also support an artifact theme. I'm thinking Hullbreecher, Hostage Taker, potentially Deadeye Plunderers depending on power level, Pitiless Plunderer if you have a way to abuse it.

plushpenguin

Post by plushpenguin » 3 years ago

Unconventional option: Modular Marchesa, the Black Rose.

For when you want to make Arcbound Ravager great again.

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 3 years ago

ISBPathfinder wrote:
3 years ago
Armix, Filigree Thrasher / Silas Renn, Seeker Adept could be kind of fun. They are both artifacts themselves and you can do this like.... discard and then reenable casting it thing. It keeps it from creeping into too many colors too.
Outcryqq wrote:
3 years ago
Is Breya, Etherium Shaper not your toast and jam? She's really strong, and if you're leery of the 4 colors, you can just ignore one of them and get your 4th color from rocks.
I came in here to mention that it's really, really hard to not use Breya, Etherium Shaper for such a deck, given it's so powerful and really leans into what you want, but also Armix & Silas Renn was my choice for something outside the box of my usual go to strats. But....................

Seeing they were already mentioned, Alesha, Who Smiles at Death is quite adept at affinity style decks, she gets to use Disciple of the Vault, Marionette Master and Atog|atq and offers some way of buying back your key cards should they inevitably go away. She also lets you use sweet old cards like Guardian Beast, though I suspect that's not entirely relevant for most players due to it's ridiculous price tag.

LightningHelix

Post by LightningHelix » 2 years ago

I'm gonna vouch for Silas Renn, Seeker Adept and Rebbec, Architect of Ascension as its my personal artifact deck. I play alot of small artifacts all the way up the curve and Rebbec is a real pain for my opponents. Silas acts like Emry, Lurker of the Loch since I often have protection from most/all of my opponents. Cheap artifacts that sacrifice are a premium such as Mishra's Bauble and Urza's Bauble . If your deck is full of creatures you can generally alpha strike nearly every turn. You creatures start to feel more and more like Progenitus as the game goes on.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”