Dark Clues of Innistrad: 1DH

Ulka
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Ulka » 1 year ago

Hello all and welcome to the spooky spectacular that is this deck idea.
The idea much like the hit 2002 film is to get a clue or a bunch of clues and use them to draw or create so much value it's hard for our opponents to keep up. The deck is build as a 1DH list meaning no card can be over a dollar at the last major check in. Each group has rules on when that check in is but the given rule of thumb is if you can buy it f

The current Commanders are Wernog, Rider's Chaplain and Hargilde, Kindly Runechanter both of which were chosen for their colors and ability to maximize my investigative powers and use those clues. Currently the deck is a work in progress so if you have any ideas of cards to add or deck mechanism to try please let me know.
Dark Clues of Innistrad
Approximate Total Cost:

Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

Tags:

Ulka

I should note that this is a very rough first draft but this list idea has given me more excitement for EDH than most decks I've tried to make over the past year so I'm very excited to see where it ends up given I have a massive maybe list going for the deck.

I decided I'd share the maybe list:

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 1 year ago

I have a UW (its mill so its a wildly different concept) clue concept using Dennick, Pious Apprentice // Dennick, Pious Apparition so I guess I will pass a few ideas to you given I don't know how much experience you have with this yet. Its obviously not going to be the same given that how our decks function are entirely different as is the win con but they are both clue based.

I am looking at Restoration Angel / and the Slide enchantments and wondering if they wouldn't be better off as just being Thassa, Deep-Dwelling, Teleportation Circle, Eldrazi Displacer, and Conjurer's Closet. I think your consistency of cycling cards isn't great and the chance of them out performing a one flicker a turn seems unlikely. It would also free up a LOT of space in your build if you weren't forcing like half of a cycling concept on it. In my mind when it comes to cycling you need to be 1000% onboard to use cards that do nothing if you can't cycle with them in play. Its a little different if a card is functional and has cycling and you just want to play it on its own merit such as Starstorm. I have even built a number of cycling decks where they are all in on the concept and sometimes its just hard to get enough out of it even when its fully your plan. I don't like splicing it in on top of another idea with like a half density of a normal cycling concept.

I think there are a few strong artificer payoffs I would suggest looking at. I think these aren't really that strong with just playing the random sphinx / random artifact creatures at the top of your curve but if you push harder on flickering your commander

Urza, Lord High Artificer - The mana generation is amazing and it comes with a golem that spreads out your threats and makes spot removing just Urza not always so bad because that golem is amazing. Oh also flickering Urza = more golems so..... good god it seems great with what you are doing.
Shimmer Dragon - Just turn those clues into permenant draw. Also it goes hexproof and its a huge pain in the ass to scrape him off the board for those spot removal heavy / sweeper light decks.
Inspiring Statuary - Its not as good as Urza but its still really good.
Universal Surveillance - Just some good cheap turbo drawing. (oops you have it)

I think there are a few other decent means of creating cheap artifact tokens to consider:

Smothering Tithe - Its expensive but generally I prefer this sort of deck where it has mana sinks to make use of the treasures. Having alternative means of using the chaff tokens is also usually very good.
Disorder in the Court - It can flicker your commander to make a clue and trigger your commander again while also providing some nice control. This effect is very strong against tokens and you can throw someone off their turn by blanking their attack or just making a commander centric commander disappear for their entire turn.

Wernog is tricky though. The fact that opponents can just choose to not make the clues each turn would be really tough. Generally someone gets greedy though and everyone else starts to cave but if your opponents hold tight and just lose life each time oh man it would suck. My first instinct though is that I would want to increase your synergy with the chaff artifact tokens as well as increase your ability to flicker the commander. It feels like you might be a little heavy on the payoffs for clues dying and maybe a little lighter on the setup for getting the chaff artifacts going.

EDIT: Am I missing something with Angelic Sleuth? Is this going to trigger like ever?

EDIT 2: Sorry I just keep editing this damn post lol. I think you should look at how many one shot flickers and pay to flicker you really want. I say this because your mana will also be in competition with the clue tokens. Its possible you could go a vastly different direction as well and look at some concepts like sac and recur using things like Gift of Immortality, Lifeline, Corpse Dance with some sac outlets as well if you really wanted. Its a different thing but I also think that you don't have enough free flicker at your end of turn even though they are bad when you draw them in duplicate I think their free value is really good and I would likely try to start with at least three of the end of turn flickers assuming you don't dip into a sac and recur theme. Having Cloudshift but no Thassa, Deep-Dwelling seems really odd (unless its for budget reasons).
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Ulka

ISBPathfinder wrote:
1 year ago
I have a UW (its mill so its a wildly different concept) clue concept using Dennick, Pious Apprentice // Dennick, Pious Apparition so I guess I will pass a few ideas to you given I don't know how much experience you have with this yet. Its obviously not going to be the same given that how our decks function are entirely different as is the win con but they are both clue based.

I am looking at Restoration Angel / and the Slide enchantments and wondering if they wouldn't be better off as just being Thassa, Deep-Dwelling, Teleportation Circle, Eldrazi Displacer, and Conjurer's Closet. I think your consistency of cycling cards isn't great and the chance of them out performing a one flicker a turn seems unlikely. It would also free up a LOT of space in your build if you weren't forcing like half of a cycling concept on it. In my mind when it comes to cycling you need to be 1000% onboard to use cards that do nothing if you can't cycle with them in play. Its a little different if a card is functional and has cycling and you just want to play it on its own merit such as Starstorm. I have even built a number of cycling decks where they are all in on the concept and sometimes its just hard to get enough out of it even when its fully your plan. I don't like splicing it in on top of another idea with like a half density of a normal cycling concept.

I think there are a few strong artificer payoffs I would suggest looking at. I think these aren't really that strong with just playing the random sphinx / random artifact creatures at the top of your curve but if you push harder on flickering your commander

Urza, Lord High Artificer - The mana generation is amazing and it comes with a golem that spreads out your threats and makes spot removing just Urza not always so bad because that golem is amazing. Oh also flickering Urza = more golems so..... good god it seems great with what you are doing.
Shimmer Dragon - Just turn those clues into permenant draw. Also it goes hexproof and its a huge pain in the ass to scrape him off the board for those spot removal heavy / sweeper light decks.
Inspiring Statuary - Its not as good as Urza but its still really good.
Universal Surveillance - Just some good cheap turbo drawing. (oops you have it)

I think there are a few other decent means of creating cheap artifact tokens to consider:

Smothering Tithe - Its expensive but generally I prefer this sort of deck where it has mana sinks to make use of the treasures. Having alternative means of using the chaff tokens is also usually very good.
Disorder in the Court - It can flicker your commander to make a clue and trigger your commander again while also providing some nice control. This effect is very strong against tokens and you can throw someone off their turn by blanking their attack or just making a commander centric commander disappear for their entire turn.

Wernog is tricky though. The fact that opponents can just choose to not make the clues each turn would be really tough. Generally someone gets greedy though and everyone else starts to cave but if your opponents hold tight and just lose life each time oh man it would suck. My first instinct though is that I would want to increase your synergy with the chaff artifact tokens as well as increase your ability to flicker the commander. It feels like you might be a little heavy on the payoffs for clues dying and maybe a little lighter on the setup for getting the chaff artifacts going.

EDIT: Am I missing something with Angelic Sleuth? Is this going to trigger like ever?

EDIT 2: Sorry I just keep editing this damn post lol. I think you should look at how many one shot flickers and pay to flicker you really want. I say this because your mana will also be in competition with the clue tokens. Its possible you could go a vastly different direction as well and look at some concepts like sac and recur using things like Gift of Immortality, Lifeline, Corpse Dance with some sac outlets as well if you really wanted. Its a different thing but I also think that you don't have enough free flicker at your end of turn even though they are bad when you draw them in duplicate I think their free value is really good and I would likely try to start with at least three of the end of turn flickers assuming you don't dip into a sac and recur theme. Having Cloudshift but no Thassa, Deep-Dwelling seems really odd (unless its for budget reasons).
Thank you so much for the feedback. The big reason the list doesn't include a lot of these cards you mention is that its an extreme budget list for 1DH where every card must be under a Dollar. This leaves me with a lot of mediocre one shot flickers and some card that are really just not great.

One thing you bring up is Angelic Sleuth doesn't have enough counters which I'm now realizing is a massive oversight on my end and now I'm looking into can I make ways for couther to be a thing easily or I will replace her.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Ulka wrote:
1 year ago
Thank you so much for the feedback. The big reason the list doesn't include a lot of these cards you mention is that its an extreme budget list for 1DH where every card must be under a Dollar. This leaves me with a lot of mediocre one shot flickers and some card that are really just not great.

One thing you bring up is Angelic Sleuth doesn't have enough counters which I'm now realizing is a massive oversight on my end and now I'm looking into can I make ways for couther to be a thing easily or I will replace her.
Ahhh reading is tech lol. That does invalidate a large portion of my suggestion list. I always hated a price limitation because its largely a question of when you buy cards as to their price tags as they fluctuate quite a lot. I bought like 8x copies of Field of the Dead pre ordered for like $0.50 each for instance.

Disorder in the Court might still be valid. It looks like TCG can get them ordered for less than $2.00 but I don't know how strict of a number you are holding on that price tag.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 1 year ago

Obscura Storefront is another fetchland you could run. You run a lot of lands that enter the battlefield tapped, though. Do you find being a turn behind so often to be a problem?

Your curve is a bit high for so few lands/mana ramp sources, and even with Hargilde, Kindly Runechanter I think you might find your deck is rather mana hungry with all the clues. I would try to add in a couple of more lands and/or more ramp. Alternatively, I guess you could cut some of the more expensive cards but they seem to mostly be win cons, so.

Cool deck. Sorry I stole your $1DH idea.

Ulka

TheGildedGoose wrote:
1 year ago
Obscura Storefront is another fetchland you could run. You run a lot of lands that enter the battlefield tapped, though. Do you find being a turn behind so often to be a problem?

Your curve is a bit high for so few lands/mana ramp sources, and even with Hargilde, Kindly Runechanter I think you might find your deck is rather mana hungry with all the clues. I would try to add in a couple of more lands and/or more ramp. Alternatively, I guess you could cut some of the more expensive cards but they seem to mostly be win cons, so.

Cool deck. Sorry I stole your $1DH idea.
I realistically could be including more lands. I noticed that i was often wanting 1-2 more lands each solitaire game i ran it though so i will likely raise the amount of ETB untapped lands to 40 or so especially if i increase my mana rock count.

As to the theft of the format, no I'm very excited to see 1dh excites you. Its honestly a very fun deck building restriction and honestly its cool to see how even in this budget building these decks often can throw down with some medium powered edh decks.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

You could also shoot for a total budget overall rather than single card objective. Having a $100 total deck cost would allow you to fudge in a few more expensive cards so long as you offset by running some cheaper cards to offset. I had an Arcades deck where my total cost was probably in the $130-140 range that ran a few $5-10 cards offset by a lot of $0.20 cards.

I still stand behind the issue with this concept is rotating card costs. If your meta tries to do this together something spiking / getting reprinted will temporarily make it more available to this idea. I don't mind a budget I just don't like a hard budget because of card price fluctuations.

Gentle Giant
It's all jank, always has been

Post by Gentle Giant » 1 year ago

Love the idea! I have a somewhat similar deck that tries to emulate scooby doo which I still have to post (it tries to represent a Saturday morning cartoon).

Not sure how expensive it is, but could Rise and Shine be another finisher? That's what I use in my deck. Also, is Digsite Engineer worth it with so few castable artifacts?

Edit: wow, I'm blind, it's already in there. There's also a card from the kamigawa set that animates noncreature artifacts to 3/3's and gives them flying, might be interesting?

Edit 2: it's called Cyberdrive Awakener and is, sadly, too expensive.

Edit 3 ('cause why not): Do you think the deck can handle the two strategies it's going for? On the one hand it's artifact aristocrats, on the other it's looking to just build a swath of artifacts for the payoff of cards tha t count how many you have (cards like Rise and Shine ).
Remember: not everyone is intent on 'growing as a player', analysing their meta and adapting to it, etc. For some people, Magic is just another board game.

Decklists:
A boy and his dog: an adventure (Rograkh & Yoshimaru) | Storytelling, Jank, Cute
Averna, Roulette Croupier: Cascade Chaos | Cascade, Chaos, Group Choices
The Ur-Dragon Tribal Tribal | Randomized Batches, Diverse, Quirky
Zirda, Patron Goddess of Trash Artisanry | Trash for Treasure, Artifact Aristocrats, low-powered

Ulka

Well its time for my price updates to the deck:

Cards that got too expensive:
Emry, Lurker of the Loch
Nadier's Nightblade
Tribute Mage
Marionette Master
Angel of the Ruins
Sol Ring
Idol of Oblivion
Deadly Dispute
Ghostly Flicker
High Market

Changes:

Emry, Lurker of the Loch > Angel of Condemnation: I'm looking to add more blink for Wernog, Rider's Chaplain.
Nadier's Nightblade > Arcane Artisan: More abuse cards for Wernog, Rider's Chaplain.
Tribute Mage > Trinket Mage: I can shift a trinket package in instead of a Tribute package.
Marionette Master > Campfire: Simple abuse for Wernog, Rider's Chaplain and fills the trinket package up.
Angel of the Ruins > Containment Construct: Helps with the cycling cards and can be cast easily by Hargilde, Kindly Runechanter.
Sol Ring > Escape Protocol: More cycling flicker benefits.
Idol of Oblivion > Mind Stone: More Ramp is good.
Deadly Dispute > Bag of Holding: I just like this card and think it might be worth testing here.
Ghostly Flicker > Displace: Sadly ghostly just moved over the price limit so I'm downgrading a bit here.
High Market > Nihil Spellbomb: a solid trinket piece.

I do have more changes planned but this was the primary changes I made today based on price shifting

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”