Ragavan - Big Red

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ISBPathfinder » 2 years ago

So, there are probably a lot of angles you can push Ragavan. I think pushing for fast aggro is obviously an option but my issue with that concept is that it attempts to be fast enough to kill three players in multiplayer which means you probably eat a bunch of their removal and burn out. I chose instead to try to utilize the commander as ramp and card advantage just letting him do his thing early then pairing him with equipment and evasion as the game goes on. Lots of my deck deals with treasure creation and casting big splashy red / colorless things.

I have no idea if my approach is correct but I liked the mix of things it seemed to be doing. I pushed a bit harder on some lifegain concepts because red can sort of suck at defending itself so I splashed in some colorless lifegain as a means to make up for it.

Decklist

COMMANDER (1)

PLANESWALKER

Approximate Total Cost:

[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Phoenixlance

Post by Phoenixlance » 2 years ago

Any consideration for Sword of Hearth and Home? It would accentuate your ramp package while still providing protection from some relevant removal spells, and can help provide additional value out of your ETB creatures. There's also those cases where it can allow Glorybringer to exert itself every turn.
Main Rotation
Dragonlord Ojutai I Lurrus of the Dream-Den I Katilda, Dawnhart Prime I Jenara, Asura of War I Niv-Mizzet Reborn I Tymna/Bruse Phoenix Kindred I Ezuri, Renegade Leader I Alela, Cunning Conquerer

cEDH
Francisco/Malcolm I Thrasios/Kraum

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Phoenixlance wrote:
2 years ago
Any consideration for Sword of Hearth and Home? It would accentuate your ramp package while still providing protection from some relevant removal spells, and can help provide additional value out of your ETB creatures. There's also those cases where it can allow Glorybringer to exert itself every turn.
I felt like the flicker trigger was largely going to be unused which is part of why I didn't include it. I think to be honest most of the Swords of X and Y are probably fine given that they add evasion and its possible it might be better than Sword of the Animist (which I did include). Its possible I bring it in I am not really convinced either way right now but I also haven't gotten a chance to do any testing with the deck other than theorycraft. I am not sure that its a slam dunk but it might be good enough given the added evasion and ramp value.

Sometimes I try not to make a lot of changes on things I am not as sure on until I can get some playtesting in though as I want to see how the deck plays and how much emphasis to put on concepts and consistency. I do value evasion here and it might be great but at the same time a lot of the evasion can be redundant which pushes me back to questioning consistencies. I might put it off for now and see if I can't get some testing data first.

EDIT: Its likely that I should cut one of my sources of purely evasion or evasion and stats for more swords. I might see what I can do for that.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Ok, I have managed to play something like five games with this deck now and I think I am retiring it. I just wanted to make one more post for anyone who might come across this thread and include some of my observations in playing it.

Commander Impact - The commander does come in early and it does have some card advantage and ramp elements to it. Ultimately though a large issue I had a hard time with was just how fast my meta seems to move on average. Its not that unexpected for someone to potentially move to kill everyone by turns 7/8 in my meta and this deck was not fast enough to get under them but also didn't get big enough to feel it could compete. Some of my issue with the commander was how specialized everyone's decks are these days and how stealing a card at random off the top of someone's deck is really hard to work with with a lot of strategies. Beyond that, the commander lacks size and evasion and that was very noticable as I would get into turns 3-5 when everyone suddenly has blockers. I often would lack size or evasion and on numerous occasions I would have multiple copies of evasion or double strike but be missing another element to make my commander relevant.

Impactful Boardstates - I think the hardest thing I had was that it took too long for me to establish a boardstate while others might play something like Omnath, Locus of Rage and stack out 2-3 tokens in the same turn I just couldn't compete with that level of boardstate establishment.

In the end, its possible I could shift to a more aggro focus and run more things like Manabarbs / Spellshock. I am not really convinced right now that the treasures do enough for me though and there is definately a wrong half sort of thing that keeps happening to me when I try playing this. I am just going to kill it and move on. Its unfortunate as I think its a cool commander and the synergy cards feel like they exist but the synergy just isn't enough for being in mono red.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”