Animating planeswalker Ratadrabik question

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ISBPathfinder » 2 months ago

Lets say I have Gideon, Ally of Zendikar and Ratadrabik of Urborg in play. If I animate Gideon into a creature and then sacrifice him, I am questioning what type of permanent I end up with from the token from Ratadrabik. Is it a creature? planeswalker? both?

Accepted Answer

by Dunadain » 2 months ago
The result is the same as if you used a Clone on Gideon, Ally of Zendikar. A copy/clone effect only copies a cards copiable values, which are spelled out in 706.2:

The copiable values are the values derived from the text printed on the object (that text being name, mana cost, color indicator, card type, subtype, supertype, rules text, power, toughness, and/or loyalty), as modified by other copy effects, by its face-down status, and by "as . . . enters the battlefield" and "as . . . is turned face up" abilities that set power and toughness (and may also set additional characteristics). Other effects (including type-changing and text-changing effects), status, and counters are not copied.

So you'd get two non-legendary, non-creature, Gideon, Ally of Zendikars with 4 loyalty.
Go to full post
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Dunadain » 2 months ago

The result is the same as if you used a Clone on Gideon, Ally of Zendikar. A copy/clone effect only copies a cards copiable values, which are spelled out in 706.2:

The copiable values are the values derived from the text printed on the object (that text being name, mana cost, color indicator, card type, subtype, supertype, rules text, power, toughness, and/or loyalty), as modified by other copy effects, by its face-down status, and by "as . . . enters the battlefield" and "as . . . is turned face up" abilities that set power and toughness (and may also set additional characteristics). Other effects (including type-changing and text-changing effects), status, and counters are not copied.

So you'd get two non-legendary, non-creature, Gideon, Ally of Zendikars with 4 loyalty.
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

WizardMN
Answers: 126
Pronoun: he / him

Post by WizardMN » 2 months ago

Dunadain wrote:
2 months ago
They would also be black (and white).

Another reason they are not still creatures (beyond what Dunadain said) is because Ratadrabik does not say they are creatures.

To answer the next question, if you do animate them, they won't be 2/2 or Zombies either. While those would apply to something that was already a creature, since Gideon isn't coming back as a creature, the P/T setting and the Creature subtype setting don't do anything since they don't do anything to noncreatures. They will be "normal" Gideons except for also being black and nonlegendary.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rulings”