Deciding on a second primer

Which deck would you like to see a primer for?

Thada Adel, Acquisitor
20%
Sharuum the Hegemon
5%
Tasigur, the Golden Fang
15%
Samut, Voice of Dissent
60%
Animar, Soul of Elements
No votes

Total votes: 20

Mookie
Answers: 48
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 4 years ago

Similar to Dragonlover's recent thread - I've been contemplating turning another of my deck threads into a primer , but not sure which one people would most interested in. So, opening things up to see what people want, and, ideally, to see which will generate the most discussion.

Brief deck descriptions:
  • Thada - mono-blue ramp. Steal mana rocks, cast fatties
  • Sharuum - artifact shenanigans, engines, and combos
  • Tasigur - Golgari (splash blue) ramp / control, with a heavy land/graveyard focus
  • Samut - tap ability tribal/combo
  • Animar - creature-based storm / combo
I'd add my other decklists to the poll, but don't actually have threads for them here yet (or, in the case of Brago, intentionally don't keep a decklist). Might do that too if anyone had a request.
don't read before voting
Show
Hide
In a vacuum, I'd probably do a primer for either Thada or Tasigur - Sharuum and Animar already have a lot of resources available elsewhere, while I feel like my build of Samut is a bit suboptimal due to budget constraints. Would be willing to do a primer for any of them if there were sufficient interest though.

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 4 years ago

Samut, for no other reason than I love Naya.

WizardMN
Answers: 132
Pronoun: he / him

Post by WizardMN » 4 years ago

Well, I would vote for Tasigur or Samut. Sharuum and Animar are kind of "solved" (not the best way to describe it) in that there are plenty of resources for the best combos in each. Tasigur looks interesting and I would lean towards that. Mostly because I don't like combo so I, personally, would never look at the other lists. But, Samut looks to be interesting and is in a color combination that doesn't generally scream "combo".

I don't really have an opinion one way or the other on Thada to be honest.

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 4 years ago

I voted for Samut, Voice of Dissent.

I've seen Animar, Soul of Elements, Sharuum the Hegemon and Tasigur, the Golden Fang way too many times to be genuinely interested in a Primer.
I couldn't say that about Thada Adel, Acquisitor, but i'm not convinced she'll generate an open discussion like Samut, Voice of Dissent could.

Anyways, looking forward to your Primer!

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 4 years ago

Samut here; she's a strong cool commander that isn't on the well-treaded path. Of course anything you primerise we will be happy to see, but from a personal reader perspective, Animar puts the game on easy mode even in jank decks, and Sharuum has been done.

I really like Thada as a creature and would be interested to see how this goes, too, so it was a split decision. I just think Samut would offer more content to work with from the perspective of writing something comprehensive.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

bobthefunny
Resident Plainswalker

Post by bobthefunny » 4 years ago

Honestly, write what YOU want to write. The flavor of the month changes so often in EDH, it's better to write what you're passionate about, than what you THINK someone else would want.

I'll say this though, looking over your lists very quickly, they seem to have a good amount of context behind them already, which was the whole purpose of the primer project to begin with. I haven't kept up with the current standards, but any of those could probably have made primer status at the initial inception and beginning of primers without much fixing. (though you have a broken card link in the Thada primer - which is Thada herself. How embarrassing! =p )

toctheyounger

bobthefunny wrote:
4 years ago
Honestly, write what YOU want to write. The flavor of the month changes so often in EDH, it's better to write what you're passionate about, than what you THINK someone else would want.
Quoted for truth. The only lists I ever primerise are the ones I've had a blast brewing, playing, tweaking, playing, discussing and playing. It's just a lot easier to write a ton when it means something to you.

Mookie

Thanks for the input, all! Based on responses, it looks like there is the most interest in Samut, so I'll plan to primer-ize that first.
toctheyounger wrote:
4 years ago
bobthefunny wrote:
4 years ago
Quoted for truth. The only lists I ever primerise are the ones I've had a blast brewing, playing, tweaking, playing, discussing and playing. It's just a lot easier to write a ton when it means something to you.
Ha, very good advice. I'll keep that in mind if I ever find myself wanting to do another primer. In a vacuum, I'd say that I have the most to discuss about either Sharuum or Tasigur, since I've been playing them for the longest. However, I must admit that I'm a greedy person, and want to have more people to discuss things with. Hence the motivation behind this thread.

....awkwardly though, my Samut deck was in storage for the last few months, so I haven't been able to play it recently. Will be jamming a bunch of games with it in the next week or two though to refresh my memory. While I don't have quite as much to say about that deck as I do for some of my other decks, I do still think I have a lot of insight to share.

toctheyounger

Mookie wrote:
4 years ago
Ha, very good advice. I'll keep that in mind if I ever find myself wanting to do another primer. In a vacuum, I'd say that I have the most to discuss about either Sharuum or Tasigur, since I've been playing them for the longest. However, I must admit that I'm a greedy person, and want to have more people to discuss things with. Hence the motivation behind this thread.

....awkwardly though, my Samut deck was in storage for the last few months, so I haven't been able to play it recently. Will be jamming a bunch of games with it in the next week or two though to refresh my memory. While I don't have quite as much to say about that deck as I do for some of my other decks, I do still think I have a lot of insight to share.
Well, for what it's worth Tasigur intrigues me too, and I'd love to see something more definitive for him than flash hulk. I've wanted to build him for a while but there's only so much deck space and money in the world, and I'm already stretched thin at 14-15 decks at present. He's such a political commander, there's got to be tons to write about and if it's a favourite, go for it. Your threads are pretty tidy, so gussying them up for primer status shouldn't be too onerous.

Dragonlover

Post by Dragonlover » 4 years ago

bobthefunny wrote:
4 years ago
Personally I asked because I think all my lists are cool but just couldn't decide what one I felt like writing about. I then ended up with a 50/50 split in the votes, so I'll mull it over for a bit.

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

toctheyounger

To be fair y'all, there is no limit to the amount of primers you can have. It does get harder to maintain the more you have what with changes, set reviews and whatnot, but you wouldn't do it if it weren't something you're interested in. So feel free to submit as many as you like, in whatever order you like and we will be glad to look over them.

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 4 years ago

I remember when I waltzed into your Teysa thread and saw a pretty much primer quality write-up, only to find out all your other threads are of a similar standard. I was expecting you to flood us with submissions, but somehow you haven't. Yet, I hope? :P

Primer maintenance is not really that spooky, in all honesty. Once a deck congeals, it pretty much boils down to keeping up with the new cards. It doesn't need to take on the form of an extended wall of text that breaks down nearly every card in the colour combination, I've been keeping mine minimal and they also seem to work. Admittedly it's possible that something good slips through the cracks (with thread activity often useful for rectifying those), or the deck sets sail for new realms, but most of the time it boils down to cooking up swaps and replacing mentions of cuts in the post body.

I voted Tasigur, but I'll reiterate that it's mainly up to you.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

Mookie

Rumpy5897 wrote:
4 years ago
I remember when I waltzed into your Teysa thread and saw a pretty much primer quality write-up, only to find out all your other threads are of a similar standard. I was expecting you to flood us with submissions, but somehow you haven't. Yet, I hope?
Ha, we'll see. I had a lot of free time when I did my original batch of threads, and I've been significantly busier recently. Still, it is something I'd like to do eventually. Most of the work is already done, so just a matter of finding a few hours to spend polishing.

....I've actually had a draft of a thread for Mizzix at 80% done for the last several months. I should really get around to finishing that....

toctheyounger

Mookie wrote:
4 years ago
....I've actually had a draft of a thread for Mizzix at 80% done for the last several months. I should really get around to finishing that....
Can relate. I started writing up Glissa....3 months ago? I don't know if I'll even finish it now.

Mookie

Aaaaaaand primer status for Samut achieved. Huzzah! Time to see what tap-ability-based madness I can unleash upon the world, mwahaha.

Think I'll be doing Tasigur next. Then maybe finally getting around to finishing the writeups for Mizzix and Kess. >.>

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”