Rank The One Drops For Human Tribal

NZB2323
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by NZB2323 » 10 months ago

ImageImage

I've been playing a human tribal deck with Éowyn, Shieldmaiden and noticed that the deck has a lot of great 1 drops. I don't even know how I'd rank them, so I figured I'd ask the board.

Some background on the deck:

Worthy Knight, Hero of Precinct One, Adeline, Resplendent Cathar, Horn of Gondor, Thraben Doomsayer, Call the Coppercoats, Lossarnach Captain, Riders of Rohan, Increasing Devotion, Visions of Glory, Forth Eorlingas!, and Éowyn, Shieldmaiden can make Champion of the Parish quite large.

Coppercoat Vanguard, Thalia's Lieutenant, and Door of Destinies make Esper Sentinel's power greater, who taxes the opponents along with Smothering Tithe.

A turn 1 Mother of Runes can protect a turn 2 Drannith Magistrate.

Weathered Wayfarer can search for Cavern of Souls or Hall of Heliod's Generosity, which can bring back Shared Animosity, Purphoros, God of the Forge, Smothering Tithe, or Kindred Discovery.

Serra Ascendant is the only lifegain card in the deck.

So what do you guys think? How would you rank these 5 one drops?
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

Dunharrow
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Dunharrow » 10 months ago

Varies from deck to deck. In your deck, I would guess:
Mom > Esper Sentinel > Weathered Wayfarer > SA > Champion
Wayfarer could be 2nd if you had more lands to get. Cycling lands, a Sunforger Package with Mistveil Plains, even a Moorland Haunt

It also depends on the turn of the game.
Turn 1 could be Mom > SA > Champion > Sentinel > WW
Turn 5 could be Sentinel > Mom > WW > SA > Champion
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 10 months ago

For me, Weathered Wayfarer is #1 amongst white one drops. It's just such a hugely powerful effect. Esper Sentinel or Serra Ascendant next.

In Breena, Esper Sentinel always overperforms but that's for obvious reasons :P

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 10 months ago

Its going to depend on what your deck does as well as what your opponents deck do for a lot of the answers to this question but in general I would rank them broadly:

1) Weathered Wayfarer - I am putting it at the first rank because its card advantage, ramp, and utility all in one. The better your landbase and deck is the better it becomes. In my opinion its the best because it doesn't generally matter what your opponents are doing to make it good. There are times others will be better but I like wayfarer the most because on its own it does great things regardless of opponents strategy.
2) Mother of Runes - It depends a bit on what commander / other threats you play as well as if opponents are playing interaction but I think she is really good in a meta with more spot removal and less sweepers. As more combo like decks creep into your meta people tend to play less sweepers and more spot interaction which makes her better.
3) Esper Sentinel - Honestly, my thoughts on the sentinel aren't that high. Its fine but you really need to draw it early and play effects to pump it for me to be impressed in most decks. Its fine but a lot of people hype it more than I do.
4) Serra Ascendant - I generally only play her in more aggressive decks or decks with a tribal slant but she is good for the mana so long as her ability to not be a 1/1 is something you can maintain.
5) Champion of the Parish - I think its the worst of the five in part because there will be a time you topdeck it midway or late into a game and it won't be very good then. Its better early in the game and even then strict beaters tend to not be very good in this format.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Avacyn Believer
Faith Requires Sacrifice

Post by Avacyn Believer » 9 months ago

What happened to Doomed Traveler and Thraben Inspector being good Human drops? :rofl:

But seriously, I agree with ISBPathfinder's ranking. I'd only add that personally I wouldn't play Serra Ascendant without Lifegain being a theme of the deck. Yeah it is a great 1 drop in the early game, but it will just make you a target and in later game, without consistent lifegain, it is just a useless 1/1 for in my opinion.
Faith Requires Sacrifice
MTGNexus Primer | Archidekt | Church of Avacyn

NZB2323

Post by NZB2323 » 9 months ago

Avacyn Believer wrote:
9 months ago
What happened to Doomed Traveler and Thraben Inspector being good Human drops? :rofl:

But seriously, I agree with ISBPathfinder's ranking. I'd only add that personally I wouldn't play Serra Ascendant without Lifegain being a theme of the deck. Yeah it is a great 1 drop in the early game, but it will just make you a target and in later game, without consistent lifegain, it is just a useless 1/1 for in my opinion.
I don't know about that. If you go turn 1 Serra Ascendant, turn 2 Hero of Precinct One, Turn 3 Shared Animosity, turn 4 Blade Historian, and turn 5 Éowyn, Shieldmaiden, that's a total of potential damage to my opponents of:

6 damage turn 2
10 damage turn 3
20 damage turn 4
75 damage turn 5

And it may be a target, but if it eats removal that's one less piece of removal my opponents have for Drannith Magistrate, Combat Celebrant, Bastion Protector, ect.

And I guess late game as a 1 drop it doesn't have a lot of value, but that's true for most 1 drops, but playing a bunch of 1 drops late in the game can be good for Purphoros, God of the Forge, Kindred Discovery, Door of Destinies, Shared Animosity, ect.

Playing a creature turn 1 also makes it easier for me to have 6 humans turn 5 after playing Éowyn, Shieldmaiden, allowing me to draw a card.
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

Avacyn Believer
Faith Requires Sacrifice

Post by Avacyn Believer » 9 months ago

That is a very specific 5 turns order, sounds cool if you can pull it off though. Fair enough if the Ascendant is there for this kind of early damage potential.
Faith Requires Sacrifice
MTGNexus Primer | Archidekt | Church of Avacyn

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 9 months ago

Is Recruitment Officer not good enough to be considered here?
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

NZB2323

Post by NZB2323 » 9 months ago

RxPhantom wrote:
9 months ago
Is Recruitment Officer not good enough to be considered here?
I think Recruitment Officer is a worse version of Esper Sentinel. It's certainly a playable card, but I'm not currently running it in my list. I think my list has enough card draw with Éowyn, Shieldmaiden, Esper Sentinel, Loran of the Third Path, Boromir, Gondor's Hope, Éomer, King of Rohan, Snapcaster Mage, Herald's Horn, Vanquisher's Banner, Mass Appeal, and Kindred Discovery.

For other decks Recruitment Officer may be better, but for mine I think all the card draw cards that I have are better.
Current Decks

Retired Decks

Moxnix

Post by Moxnix » 8 months ago

1 Wayfarer
2 Esper Sentinel
3 Serra ascendant
4 Mother of runes
5 Champion

Imo from playing my mono white human tribal.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”