[Off-Topic] Community Chat Thread

toctheyounger
Pronoun: he / him

Post by toctheyounger » 10 months ago

Hermes_ wrote:
10 months ago
It comes down to figuring out the right cardstock and cutting along the lines unless you go the etsy route and have them do the printing and cutting. Last night while playing, one my friends asked if i lad a list because I explained how my printer doesn't like me using cardstock, so I'm gonna put together a list of the money cards I'd need to make one of my decks cedh (mainly the rocks) and just go from there
Yeah I mean I know there's also sites that will do it for you as a single easily done order with whatever art you like (so long as no trademarks or wotc logos), I just have too many questions I can't find answers for to jump right in and buy HP Masters singles. I wanna make sure there's enough similarity I'm not able to tell when they're mixed in with legit cards, stuff like that.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 10 months ago

toctheyounger wrote:
10 months ago
Hermes_ wrote:
10 months ago
It comes down to figuring out the right cardstock and cutting along the lines unless you go the etsy route and have them do the printing and cutting. Last night while playing, one my friends asked if i lad a list because I explained how my printer doesn't like me using cardstock, so I'm gonna put together a list of the money cards I'd need to make one of my decks cedh (mainly the rocks) and just go from there
Yeah I mean I know there's also sites that will do it for you as a single easily done order with whatever art you like (so long as no trademarks or wotc logos), I just have too many questions I can't find answers for to jump right in and buy HP Masters singles. I wanna make sure there's enough similarity I'm not able to tell when they're mixed in with legit cards, stuff like that.
so you want almost counterfeit but without the WotC/MTG logo?
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

toctheyounger

Hermes_ wrote:
10 months ago
toctheyounger wrote:
10 months ago
Hermes_ wrote:
10 months ago
Well when you put it like that it sounds gross, but I mean I've seen how good proxies can look. I just want decent looking proxies that can pass as close to legit.

Hermes_

toctheyounger wrote:
10 months ago
Hermes_ wrote:
10 months ago
toctheyounger wrote:
10 months ago

Well when you put it like that it sounds gross, but I mean I've seen how good proxies can look. I just want decent looking proxies that can pass as close to legit.
well i mean it's basically what you want :smirk: almost legit but you can tell it's not. (lacking the holo, the back isn't the deck master etc)

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by RxPhantom » 10 months ago

Isn't that fine, though? Regardless of intent, WotC has tacitly endorsed proxies with Magic 30, not to mention the upcoming (ugly and stupid looking) playtest card...things.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 5/26/24 (Modern Horizons III)

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 10 months ago

I'm glad the rant did spark some discussion and bring up the usual suggestions.
Idk if it was (literally) lost in translation (since my mother tongue is not english), but my main gripe is that i would want my younger friends to be able to have the actual cards.
We all played with proxies and yes, the disconnect between collecting and playing might get bigger, but it will always be cool to play with the real ones.
20 years in, i'm still in awe seeing super old Animate Dead|LEAs, Counterspell|LEAs, Demonic Tutor|LEAs, Llanowar Elves|LEA, Swords to Plowshares|LEA and Sol Ring|LEAs (ban it though!) across the table. But those did get reprints, even in their old arts and frames at times...

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2

Post by Dunadain » 10 months ago

Yeah, I really don't want to discredit your gripes. Proxying isn't a great solution, and while I believe it's the best one we currently have, it would be a lot better if WOTC just reprinted their cards.
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Zask, Phelddagriff
Other: Karrthus, Eris, Emiel, The Blessed, Ruhan, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

Hermes_

RxPhantom wrote:
10 months ago
Isn't that fine, though? Regardless of intent, WotC has tacitly endorsed proxies with Magic 30, not to mention the upcoming (ugly and stupid looking) playtest card...things.
it just felt like @toctheyounger was making it more complicated than it needed to be, at least that's how it felt to me.

toctheyounger

Hermes_ wrote:
10 months ago
RxPhantom wrote:
10 months ago
it just felt like @toctheyounger was making it more complicated than it needed to be, at least that's how it felt to me.
I kind of am. But it's also like if you're gonna do a thing do it right. It's who I am. If I'm gonna proxy I want the cards in my deck to be pretty well instantly recognisable.

Hermes_

toctheyounger wrote:
10 months ago
Hermes_ wrote:
10 months ago
RxPhantom wrote:
10 months ago
I kind of am. But it's also like if you're gonna do a thing do it right. It's who I am. If I'm gonna proxy I want the cards in my deck to be pretty well instantly recognisable.
I mean there's a whole Reddit called bootleg magic I should note that it's all counterfeit., All you would have to do is mark them in some way so you know not to sell them.

toctheyounger

Hermes_ wrote:
10 months ago
toctheyounger wrote:
10 months ago
Hermes_ wrote:
10 months ago

I mean there's a whole Reddit called bootleg magic I should note that it's all counterfeit., All you would have to do is mark them in some way so you know not to sell them.
Appreciated. There's also a couple of sites I've been given links to that'll make a full deck etc, I'll look into it at some point.

Can we also just acknowledge how hilarious it is that WotC are appear to be trying to monetize proxies? M30 was bad enough, now we're purportedly looking at more playtest cards, and I bet they're gonna cost, against all concepts of logic.

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 10 months ago

WotC selling fake real cards and real fake cards gives them zero credibility. It all reminds me of Diablo 3's RMAH debacle and frankly, I don't even give a %$#% if other people care if I proxy or not at this point. The bootlickers that argue against proxying because it hurts daddy Hasbro's bottom line can decorn my corn hole. MaRo and most of the people that make Magic make peanuts and that's not going to change regardless of whether or not line goes up or down.

I have Opinions.

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 10 months ago

Yeah, I'm not a magic cop. I will never care about you running proxies. Yes, I get frustrated when I see a proxy deck stomping fools left and right, but to be fair I also feel frustrated when a "real" deck is stomping at the lgs, I don't think where cards came from is the problem

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 10 months ago

I'm not one for proxies imho. I just like owning and collecting cards. I also kind of enjoy the ongoing quest to max out a deck with little investments over time. Printing out the perfect list just cuts out the journey. I once had a 2k cedh Selvala deck and I only got bored with it once I bought the final piece.

Completion is less fun for me than upgrading, I guess.

If you're playing cedh though, I say proxy it up. That format is psuedo-competitive at best and not even all that much fun. If you wanna scratch the tournament itch, modern and legacy are way more balanced and fun if you've got the money.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 10 months ago

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
10 months ago
I'm not one for proxies imho. I just like owning and collecting cards. I also kind of enjoy the ongoing quest to max out a deck with little investments over time. Printing out the perfect list just cuts out the journey. I once had a 2k cedh Selvala deck and I only got bored with it once I bought the final piece.

If you're playing cedh though, I say proxy it up. That format is psuedo-competitive at best and not even all that much fun. If you wanna scratch the tournament itch, modern and legacy are way more balanced and fun if you've got the money.
I feel the same way. I hope people proxy. I just don't want to. I just don't like it for me.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 5/26/24 (Modern Horizons III)

toctheyounger

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
10 months ago

I agree about completing and upgrading. I'd like to be able to do it once though. I have not even once completed a deck to satisfaction. It's be nice to once.

Apropos of nothing cedh is a lot more balanced these days. The last 2 tournaments have been won by an abzan Stax deck, and most recent almost got taken out by a true control deck literally 1v3ing the finals pod with stack control. That meta is a lot more diverse than it's ever been. If it were just Thoracle consult sprints I wouldn't bother being interested.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

toctheyounger wrote:
10 months ago
Apropos of nothing cedh is a lot more balanced these days. The last 2 tournaments have been won by an abzan Stax deck, and most recent almost got taken out by a true control deck literally 1v3ing the finals pod with stack control. That meta is a lot more diverse than it's ever been. If it were just Thoracle consult sprints I wouldn't bother being interested.
I'll take your word for it. Honestly if I was going to play competitive edh again (unlikely), I'd want to try out Duel Commander. Their banlist is significantly more tailored to ensuring a fair environment than cedh and losing the 4p aspect makes it so you can't just randomly lose to poor politics. Those are some serious QOL adjustments imo.

toctheyounger

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
10 months ago
toctheyounger wrote:
10 months ago
I'll take your word for it. Honestly if I was going to play competitive edh again (unlikely), I'd want to try out Duel Commander. Their banlist is significantly more tailored to ensuring a fair environment than cedh and losing the 4p aspect makes it so you can't just randomly lose to poor politics. Those are some serious QOL adjustments imo.
That's fair too, duel commander is pretty balanced. I will say though I've been got far more times by bad politics in casual than in anything approaching cedh personally. Casual players are terrible at politics mostly. Cedh doesn't see much, if any politics.

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 10 months ago

Eldraine rocks. what a great, great plane, happy to go back. I was preapred to turn off my mind with DW spoilers, but first look at eldraine got me going

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 10 months ago

I hope a return to Eldraine doesn't look half as broken as last time they went. All I associate with Eldrane is a bunch of cards that needed banning. The actual flavor of it was fine, just not the power level.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Dunadain
I like turtles

toctheyounger wrote:
10 months ago
That's fair too, duel commander is pretty balanced. I will say though I've been got far more times by bad politics in casual than in anything approaching cedh personally. Casual players are terrible at politics mostly. Cedh doesn't see much, if any politics.
Cedh has a lot of politics, it's just not the "I didn't hit you, so don't counter my spell, preety please?" that sometimes passes for politics.

Other: Karrthus, Eris, Emiel, The Blessed, Ruhan, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

pokken

Post by pokken » 10 months ago

Dunadain wrote:
10 months ago
Cedh has a lot of politics, it's just not the "I didn't hit you, so don't counter my spell, preety please?" that sometimes passes for politics.
The biggest change in CEDH probably is that the priority order is incredibly important and people play a lot of games gambling on passing priority to make the last person in turn order answer something (or the person to their left).

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

pokken wrote:
10 months ago
Dunadain wrote:
10 months ago
The biggest change in CEDH probably is that the priority order is incredibly important and people play a lot of games gambling on passing priority to make the last person in turn order answer something (or the person to their left).
This is super true. Priority Bullying is big in CEDH and a whole class of nonblue, nonstax decks exist in the format as "parasitic" decks, linear combo decks with few answers betting on the idea that someone else will do their dirty work for them more often than not. It's a whole pile of nonsense that can only work in multiplayer and imho it's kinda stupid as a pillar of the gameplay experience.

Dunadain
I like turtles

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
10 months ago
pokken wrote:
10 months ago
Dunadain wrote:
10 months ago
This is super true. Priority Bullying is big in CEDH and a whole class of nonblue, nonstax decks exist in the format as "parasitic" decks, linear combo decks with few answers betting on the idea that someone else will do their dirty work for them more often than not. It's a whole pile of nonsense that can only work in multiplayer and imho it's kinda stupid as a pillar of the gameplay experience.
Yeah, I think Cedh will always be niche for these very reasons. Having said that, sometimes I want a toxic, nonsense game. There's nothing quite like Cedh, for better or worse.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

Dunadain wrote:
10 months ago
TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
10 months ago
pokken wrote:
10 months ago

Yeah, I think Cedh will always be niche for these very reasons. Having said that, sometimes I want a toxic, nonsense game. There's nothing quite like Cedh, for better or worse.
I can respect that. I don't agree, but at least you're seeing the forest for the trees.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”