Unreleased and New Card Discussion

BeneTleilax
Pronoun: he / him

Post by BeneTleilax » 2 years ago

Wallycaine wrote:
2 years ago
I think you're heavily underestimating the power level difference between Clues and Blood Tokens. The gulf between Looting and Drawing a card is pretty huge. We're already seeing that Blood Tokens can be costed more efficiently than clues in terms of the cards that generate them. They're going to play out *very* differently than clue tokens, I think.
Right, but would it have really cost anything if Gluttonous Guest said "whenever you sacrifice an artifact token"? I could see that it's for flavor, but Blood tokens already don't much much sense in terms of flavor.

Gamazson

Post by Gamazson » 2 years ago

Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
2 years ago
That Zombie Scorpion is a thing of beauty.
Agreed! It will be a valuable addition to any black deck that cares to sacrifice creatures. 2 life for 2 cards sorcery speed at a cost of is on the weaker but playable. I you sacrifice a less valuable token that leaves you with a death touch creature as well, which is always useful.

Wallycaine

Post by Wallycaine » 2 years ago

BeneTleilax wrote:
2 years ago
Wallycaine wrote:
2 years ago
I think you're heavily underestimating the power level difference between Clues and Blood Tokens. The gulf between Looting and Drawing a card is pretty huge. We're already seeing that Blood Tokens can be costed more efficiently than clues in terms of the cards that generate them. They're going to play out *very* differently than clue tokens, I think.
Right, but would it have really cost anything if Gluttonous Guest said "whenever you sacrifice an artifact token"? I could see that it's for flavor, but Blood tokens already don't much much sense in terms of flavor.
It would be a significant power level increase, especially with both Clues and Treasure around it in standard (and probably even in this set, at least for Tresure). That would probably cause problems for limited play, where Gluttonous Guest is aimed, as well as standard, where at least some of the Blood caring vampires are likely to end up.

BeneTleilax

Wallycaine wrote:
2 years ago
That would probably cause problems for limited play, where Gluttonous Guest is aimed
If they have multiple non-interacting artifact tokens running around the same limited environment, that's already a problem.
Wallycaine wrote:
2 years ago
as well as standard, where at least some of the Blood caring vampires are likely to end up.
I'd allow for more interesting decks, rather than cards that only interact with things in a single set. If you want to play block constructed, play that.

We've got two legends already trying to force Blood tokens in EDH, and Strefan, Maurer Progenitor won't be played in Standard or Limited anyways. Would it have killed them to make those cards backwards (and forwards) compatible? It's just needlessly limiting deck diversity.

Wallycaine

BeneTleilax wrote:
2 years ago
Wallycaine wrote:
2 years ago
That would probably cause problems for limited play, where Gluttonous Guest is aimed
If they have multiple non-interacting artifact tokens running around the same limited environment, that's already a problem.
Treasure and Clues already co-exist, so that's a ship that sailed a while back.

BeneTleilax

Wallycaine wrote:
2 years ago
In what limited? You had Modern Horizons, but that set made a point of letting them interact.

Wallycaine

BeneTleilax wrote:
2 years ago
Wallycaine wrote:
2 years ago
In what limited? You had Modern Horizons, but that set made a point of letting them interact.
Hm, I thought I had recalled a treasure card in Midnight Hunt, but it was apparently commander midnight hunt instead.

Igzex

Post by Igzex » 2 years ago

Wedding Ring is going to cause some really weird table talk...

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool
Answers: 2

Post by tstorm823 » 2 years ago

Wallycaine wrote:
2 years ago
Only if you don't run *any* other legendary vampires. Or, for that matter, just revive a Legendary Vampire. It also seems unlikely that *every* opponent will have a 4/4 flying blocker, so you can just direct her towards open opponents.
Speaking of "other legendary vampires", the card looks like a good fit in a deck lead by Good Olivia.
Zedruu: "This deck is not only able to go crazy - it also needs to do so."

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 2 years ago

man that new Olivia is dope. I love the haste and aggro and rewarding you for playing other gigantic vampires like Drana, Kalastria Bloodchief and Kalitas, Bloodchief of Ghet. There are a bunch of pretty nasty expensive legendary vampires.

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by kirkusjones » 2 years ago

Very excited for Grolnok, the Omnivore. Going to run him with big brudder Gitrog in the pile of nonsense that is Archelos lands.

Gashnaw

Post by Gashnaw » 2 years ago

Wedding ring seems.to be more.powerful.than one may think. Sure it still not blue draw power. But that is still an extra.draw each turn. And i am putting it in mass.draw kwain.

Gamazson

Igzex wrote:
2 years ago
Wedding Ring is going to cause some really weird table talk...
I expect to see an 85% increase in the phrase "I want a divorce"

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 2 years ago

Cleave looks really really weird. I don't like that templating much at all. It's a cool mechanic though.

Wedding Ring seems extremely strong.

Grolnok, the Omnivore... GET IN MY CHANGELING DECK NOOOOOOOOOOOW

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 2 years ago

Agree 100% on cleave. Reminds me of the Mythos cycle a bit. Excited to see more.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

Gamazson

Change of Fortune is interesting but seems over cost for a 1 sided wheel.

Wallycaine

Gamazson wrote:
2 years ago
Change of Fortune is interesting but seems over cost for a 1 sided wheel.
It's not purely a wheel, it's a discard synergy piece. For example, if you cast Cathartic Reunion before Change, you'll get to draw for the 2 cards discarded to that in addition to the ones discarded to change.

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 2 years ago

Change of Fortune I really like. It's not for every deck, but in any deck with a lot of rummaging or looting effects, this can easily be a four mana draw 7+ cards.

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 2 years ago

Wheeeeee, new cardssssss

Mechanics:
  • Training looks a little weak, as attack triggers tend to be - attacking with another creature (and a big one, even) can be difficult. Still, I'll keep an eye on stuff for Samut - haste makes this a lot better, and it looks like there may be some interesting payoffs.
  • Cleave is interesting from a Mel perspective, but ultimately dependent on the individual cards. Still, flexibility is good.
  • Blood tokens are a bit parasitic / weak, but they' can also be aggressively costed enablers for artifact / discard synergies.
  • Disturb making things come back as auras is a bit more niche than creating creatures, but this is another mechanic that depends heavily on the individual cards - most of the first batch were a bit on the weaker side. Still, I'll keep an eye out for stuff for Brago.
  • Exploit returns! Sacrificing things can be an upside for some decks, so hoping for something nice - I've taken Sidisi, Undead Vizier out of my decks, but she did put in good work for a while.
  • Daybound/nightbound also returns, and I'll probably still avoid running them due to not wanting to track day/night forever.
Cards:

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 2 years ago

I like that WotC has circled back to the Godzilla format for the alternate art/concept cards. Not that Bram Stoker is particularly jarring on innistrad, but it makes all the alts easier to swallow.

Edit: Love the art on Wedding announcement! What a wholesome depiction of two people sharing their undeath together. The front side is especially nice, they look so excited to attend but in vastly different ways. The lady is like "Oh look, Sorin and Olivia are betrothed! Isn't that just picturesque?" And the dude is all like "This is great! I'll dig out my best shoes!" Very nice.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 2 years ago

Blood tokens are the first standardized token where the name just makes no sense to me at all

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 2 years ago

folding_music wrote:
2 years ago
Blood tokens are the first standardized token where the name just makes no sense to me at all
I second that.

Also, the name on the Anje card. Although it may simply be a matter of vampires being ironic and desecrating and twisting everything pure about weddings (hence the title of Maid of Dishonor), I like to think Olivia really hates the crass and uncouth Falkenraths and Anje in particular, but for the obligations (pretense) of nobility Anje is simply too high-ranking to be ignored, so Olivia is forced to tolerate the Falkenrath scion at her wedding.

But to show her distaste she saddles Anje with the title of dubious honor, something the latter bears as badge of pride.

Of course, watch as the Magic story reveals they're old friends, rendering all the above moot.
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

BeneTleilax

2 years ago
folding_music wrote:
2 years ago
I second that.
Likewise. Would it have killed them to make them drain?

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 2 years ago

BeneTleilax wrote:
2 years ago
2 years ago
folding_music wrote:
2 years ago
I second that.
Likewise. Would it have killed them to make them drain?
"1: target opponent loses 1 life, you gain 1 life" would've been sweet. Heck, a one shot extort wouldn't have killed anything either. Rummaging is just kinda stupid imho, but inb4 we watch it be mildly problematic anyway
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

BeneTleilax

Voice of the Blessed looks like the best Pridemate to date (unless you count Heliod, and even then, it's close). They are really pushing lifegain, I wonder to what extent lifegain synergies are going to become standard in Wx and Wxx decks going forwards.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”