[mtgnexus] Random Card of the Day - Rishkar, Peema Renegade

Dunharrow
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Dunharrow » 1 year ago

Krond is a trap
Always was
I would try to load the deck with all the hexproof auras (and equipment), totem armor, all those 1 mana hexproof spells, and a ton of ramp, and just hope I can get 9 mana in a turn to cast this, protect it and enchant it.
And then someone will play an edict and I will be sad.

Bruna is the better version of this, actually. But instead of exiling things Bruna just one-shots and has blue.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 1 year ago

Monday, August 22nd, 2022; The Great Aurora

Steel Sabotage'ng Orbs of Mellowness since 2011.

I collect Kaalia of the Vast normal-size cards. Do you have any extra taking up space in your binder? Help me grow my collection! :)

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 1 year ago

TheGildedGoose wrote:
1 year ago
Well, at least it isn't Warp World
Bonus points for not being Thieves' Auction either! :sick:

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool
Answers: 2

Post by tstorm823 » 1 year ago

One time, I responded to The Great Aurora by casting Mirrorweave on Monastery Mentor, followed by a flurry of spells to get to like 60 permanent's in play. Aurora happened, I drew nearly all of my deck, the turn passed to me and on my upkeep I got hit by Aurelia's Fury for 1 damage. Died on the next turn cycle. To this day, I always keep a way to get Vedalken Orrery out at instant speed in Zedruu.
Zedruu: "This deck is not only able to go crazy - it also needs to do so."

PrimevalCommander

Post by PrimevalCommander » 1 year ago

I'd rather be G-waving at this mana cost. I have been meaning to try out Majestic Genesis in Karador as a top end since my commander is high MV with cost reduction. This card not putting anything into play wouldn't hit my radar unless I was playing some sort of lands/token deck thing where I would dump a large number of lands into play for value.

Field of the Dead secret commander? Too bad all the Feild Golos decks got the axe.

illakunsaa
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by illakunsaa » 1 year ago

I was thinking it could be fun to do a warp world deck. The idea would be to loop warp world enough times that the opponents didn't have any permanents left. Aurora could also be in the deck but it is a little harder to loop.

PrimevalCommander

illakunsaa wrote:
1 year ago
I was thinking it could be fun to do a warp world deck. The idea would be to loop warp world enough times that the opponents didn't have any permanents left. Aurora could also be in the deck but it is a little harder to loop.
Don't do it!
You don't need to loop Warp World to win. Play a bunch of token makers (creature, treasure, etc.), ramp, splash of haste, garnish with Purphoros, God of the Forge and one cast is all it should take. Though it is uninspiring and repetitive, and if your opponents are like me, you won't even get to resolve the first one since everyone else will just scoop in response once they find out what is going to happen.

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 1 year ago

This would be great in a landfall deck, if all my landfall permanents didn't just disappear.

Mostly I use it and similar chaos cards for reality warping in flavor-driven decks.
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

Igzex

Post by Igzex » 1 year ago

I'd hate to imagine how this card would be used if it didn't self exile...

Treamayne

Post by Treamayne » 1 year ago

This seemed to be everywhere for about a month after it debuted. . . I don't think I've seen it since.

I could see a casual application with hastey battlecruiser (since you get to keep playing after the lands enter) - maybe Gruul with Ball Lightning and friends or similar beaters. Doesn't shuffle the GY though, so that either has to be accounted for or exploited.
hyalopterouslemur wrote:
1 year ago
This would be great in a landfall deck, if all my landfall permanents didn't just disappear.
You just need a Nissa, Vital Force emblem first. . .
V/R

Treamayne

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 1 year ago

PrimevalCommander wrote:
1 year ago
Too bad all the Field Golos decks got the axe.

3drinks

Tuesday, August 23rd, 2022; Empyrial Archangel

I collect Kaalia of the Vast normal-size cards. Do you have any extra taking up space in your binder? Help me grow my collection! :)

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 1 year ago

Gorgeous card but it feels like a relic in many ways - primarily that wack CMC and shroud preventing your from doing anything fun. Personal Incarnation was one of my favorite cards as a kid and even I know this isn't very good.

3drinks

Lifeless wrote:
1 year ago
Gorgeous card but it feels like a relic in many ways - primarily that wack CMC and shroud preventing your from doing anything fun. Personal Incarnation was one of my favorite cards as a kid and even I know this isn't very good.
Makeshift Mannequin is still the classic way to cheat with this.

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 year ago

I remember for a hot minute when this was the Legacy reanimator target of choice until ol' Inkwell Leviathan knocked it down. Funny to think how weak both of them are compared to Griselbrand.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

PrimevalCommander

Oh how I loved me some Makeshift Mannequin and Inkwell Leviathan.

Archangel is a cool card, but the 8 mana hasn't aged well considering what we get for 6 and 7 nowadays.

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 1 year ago

Sticking to Bant colors, you can use Indestructibility with help.
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 1 year ago

Man, I threw this in my cube for giggles. Went pick 15 for ages. Eventually I drafted it and the sheer volume of people that attempted to Doom Blade it was hilarious. Surprisingly solid in my slow grindy cube because shroud is a house.

I have a hard time seeing this as particularly good. It's basically an 8 mana, on board fog. I could see this being a solid commander in a battlecrusier meta if it was legendary.

Slam it in an Angel deck with Avacyn, Angel of Hope and have fun.

Igzex

Post by Igzex » 1 year ago

A classic timmy mythic. It looks cool and offers nothing else really but sometimes that's all a player could want.

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 1 year ago

I like the design of Empyrial Archangel, but it's not a card I really see myself playing. It's certainly a reasonable speedbump against dying to combat damage, but it's not something I expect to actually lock any opponents out of the game. As a result, I'd usually go with a different topend fatty.

PrimevalCommander

After inflation this could be a 7/10 with Hexproof and Vigilance and still be only a "good" creature for 8 mana. You have to really push creatures at this MV to get them into mainstream play, which is a bit of a shame, but efficiency is the name of the game right now.

3drinks

Wednesday, August 24th, 2022; Witch's Mist

Tapping enchantments is weird.....

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

3drinks

Mookie wrote:
1 year ago
I like the design of Empyrial Archangel, but it's not a card I really see myself playing. It's certainly a reasonable speedbump against dying to combat damage, but it's not something I expect to actually lock any opponents out of the game. As a result, I'd usually go with a different topend fatty.
You can draw the game with this and Repercussion. 👀 #BadAdviceFrom3drinks

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool
Answers: 2

Post by tstorm823 » 1 year ago

3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
You can draw the game with this and Repercussion. 👀 #BadAdviceFrom3drinks
Imagine the fallout if Unfinity had a card that said "If the game would end in a draw, you win instead."
Zedruu: "This deck is not only able to go crazy - it also needs to do so."

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”